Ginger Kale

Did y’all have a good New Year’s Eve?

I always feel so strange on New Year’s Eve because I’m just getting ready to go out around the time I normally am ready for bed! This year, before leaving for a party, I ate a healthy dinner, making sure to incorporate at least one “lucky” food:

grilled vegetables vegan

The “lucky” food was my Ginger-Cashew Kale. And yes, I did also make the gumbo I wrote about a few days ago, but that was part of my New-Year’s-Day lucky dinner.

Ginger-Cashew Kale

(serves 1)

• 1 and 1/2 cups cooked or frozen kale (120g)
  • 1-2 tbsp sesame ginger salad dressing (such as Newman’s Own)
  • Raw or roasted cashews, sliced
  • grated fresh ginger, optional

If the kale is frozen, microwave the kale for 2 minutes, then add the salad dressing and stir. Throw in some cashews and the ginger, if using. I usually like this cold, but it’s good hot, too.

Also eaten: grilled veggies, tomatoes, and Home Alone Pilaf.

grilled veggie salad vegan

grilled veggies vegan

Grilled veggies? In December? Yes, mother nature threw a 60-degree day in, so I had to take advantage. For the pilaf, I used rye flakes, but I’ve also tried it with kamut flakes, oats, barley flakes, and even spelt flakes.

Then, finally, at around 9PM, I set off to start the night, which included lots of noise and lots of dancing. I was super-tired by the time I climbed into bed (around 2:30AM), but it was so worth it. And I was the designated driver, which meant no hangover!

How did you spend your New Year’s Eve?

Did you eat anything off the List of Lucky New Year Foods?

Tags: , , ,

1. Camille says:

I was a lazy girl on NYE. In fact, we didn’t even stay up until midnight :) I’m just an old fart!

2. i was in bed by 1am on nye but i had fun anyway and no hangover for me (just not worth it). also, i swear it takes me 2 days to recover anyway lol

3. *Andrea* says:

i went out to a bar with hs friends in boston and went to bed around 3am at the hotel we shared… i drank but only 1-2 vodka drinks and 1 champagne flute, enough for me (not for the others ha). anyways, this meal looks deeeeeelicious. i absolutely love pilaf and bulghur, etc.

4. Picky Nicky says:

I also had my lucky kale on new years eve but in the form of a green monster :)
    Happy new year!

5. Gina says:

I ate some poms on NYE because you said they were eaten by the Greeks and symbolized prosperity! Couldn’t hurt right?

I also ate some Peanut Butter Pie. Ahh-may-zing!

6. Thetreadmilldiaries says:

Love the colors in your meal and dish. They make for a great pic. The hubby and I had a pretty low key new Year’s Eve celebration so we’d be in good shape for our New Year’s day 5k race. We had a blast with it.

7. My boyfriend and I started off the New Year with a nice homemade spicy juice made with lots of greens including kale and spinach. Hopefully, luck can come in liquid form. :) And no hangover for me, I felt great!

8. I wass LAZZZYY – i had quite a chill celebration, but it was perfect for how i was feeling! your partying sounds like a blast 😀

9. I had a pretty similar NYE – went to a bar with friends and danced up a storm. But I almost didn’t get in because I accidentally brought the wrong ID! But my friend helped me sneak into the bar!

10. Moni'sMeals says:

Just wanted to say Happy New Year Katie!

Great Kale recipe here, yum! I also posted Kale recently. It is the best!

We ate amazing food and champagne and felt great the next day, love that. 😉

11. I loooove kale – will have to try your recipe!

I spent New Year’s Eve making tamales with my mom, and then I went to bed around 9 (ya, boring – but that’s pretty late for someone who usually goes to bed between 7 and 8 :) . Glad you had a good New Years!

12. Maryann says:

We started the night early so I didnt have time to eat any of the lucky foods (or dinner for that matter) but I did eat a chocolate coconut Luna bar, which was delicious. Your food looks amazing as usual!

13. I don’t like New Year’s Eve as much as most people because I hate going out so late!

14. Sounds like you had an amazing night! :)
    And I had grapes! Don’t think I had exactly twelve(?) though…
    HAPPY NEW YEAR KATIE! 😀

15. Anna B says:

I fed my brother and dad vegan versions of our traditional New Year’s food (fried doughballs), we played monopoly and watched the new year’s eve comedy show. Good times :)

Oh, and for dinner… grilled veggies with quinoa 😉

1. Aw what a lucky brother and dad to have someone make them vegan food. Plus… Monopoly!! Best game ever :).

16. Yummy!
    We went to our friend’s house for New Year!!

17. I’d be lying if said I wasn’t fantasizing about those blueberry larabars. In Austin I still have never even found the chocolate chip flavors, so I’m probably never going to get to try the blueberry one either! I don’t know what in the world is wrong with our stores here… I’ve looked everywhere! Harumph! :)

1. Wha?? Seriously? In Austin? LOL I was in love with your WF when I went there. I think I even got lost in it; it’s so huge!

1. I know!?!? You’d think our giant WF would have those dang bars, but noooooo. And not Sprouts, not Wheatsville, not Sun Harvest. It’s a conspiracy! :)

18. grocery goddess jen says:

I hung out with friends and family – and actually watched the ball drop! I’m usually asleep by ten pm!

19. Blog is the New Black says:

My NYE was spent on the couch, and I fell asleep before the ball dropped. Oops! 😉

20. Krystina (Basil & Wine) says:

Lol, I spent it flying, buying underwear because I couldn’t check my bag that had underwear in it, enjoying a delicious dinner, and passing out at 9PM because I was exhausted. :(