Pumpkin Pie Parfait

Can you say that three times fast?

Because I was out so late on New Year’s Eve, I opted to take a rest day from running the next morning and sleep in. Of course, “sleeping in” for me means sleeping til 7:30, because my body naturally wakes up with the sun. So I had a nice, leisurely breakfast:

parfait

Until this morning, I don’t know that I’d ever had a parfait before. Can you believe it?

parfait4 parfait3

parfait2

I’ve posted the recipe for the mousse before. But, so you don’t have to click more links, here’s the recipe again:

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Mousse
(serves two)

1 cup canned pumpkin (such as Libby’s)
1 tsp cinnamon
up to 2/3 cup milk of choice
4 ice cubes (optional)
Sweetener of choice, to taste

Whip it all up in the blender for a loooong time.

Layer in a parfait glass, with pom seeds and Soy-Free Vegan Cream.

NYC2010 962

Along with the parfait, I also had a crumbly Single-Lady Muffin.

New Year’s Blog Changes:

I changed the blog header again. What do you think of my blog’s new look?

Basically, I was never 100% happy with the “strange diet” caption, as it sounded like I thought veganism was weird. Other captions I tossed around included: “Healthy is the new Naughty” and “Eat nice, feel Naughty.” I’m also in the process of updating pages, but who knows when they’ll be finished. (College starts again soon… where did Winter Break go???!)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Brandie says:

Ack! Clickin the blog from the email notice got me 404’d 🙁 BUT I clicked ‘home’ and got to the post 🙂 In case you were hoping for opinion (LOL!) I like the parfait pic on the red tablecloth background best 🙂 Makes the pom seed POP! And, don’t pom seeds tastes funny with the pumpkin? No? Hm. 🙂 And… I don’t see a different header 🙁

I have yet to try the single lady muffins. I must get on that, looks delish 🙂

Loveya!

1. Brandie says:

OMG I got the 1st comment. Ack!!!! 🙂 Amazing.

2. Yeah, I accidentally posted it on January 1st, so the google reader feed is still picking up the post with “1-1-2011” in the url. I can’t seem to change it :(.

The header photo is the same; just the caption is changed.
      Love ya back hehe :).

2. LOVE parfaits!!!
    The header is awesome, by the way!

3. I’ve made yogurt parfaits before. This looks so fancy!

4. That parfait is beautiful! Pretty food can be so fun! And yeah, my break from school ends today, back to the grind!

5. Melissa says:

Lovely parfait!

Also, yay for the header change. I was a little :/ about the strange diet part… it’s not strange! Eating REAL food is normal, the rest of the world’s gone mad. 😉

1. Here here! 🙂 What’s so “normal” about a twinkie that has so many preservatives it stays in perfect shape from the 1940s, anyway? That’s not normal; that’s creepy!

6. Picky Nicky says:

Yumm, you can’t go wrong with pumpkin for brekkie 🙂 🙂

7. GAH the inside of your muffin looks so unbelievably moist.!

8. Your breakfast is so beautiful, I don’t think I’d want to eat it! I would though obviously! 😛
    I had a beautiful brekkie too- another pizzert! I may be slightly obsessed…! 😀
    Love the new caption! So true!

9. I like your new header!

And yes, I love parfaits as long as there’s not yogurt involved, lol! Maybe tofu “yogurt”, but that’s all. 🙂

1. Yay, I’m not the only yogurt-hater! (Well, obviously I don’t like the dairy stuff, but I’m not even big on the soy version. Oh well.)

10. I’ve made some oatmeal parfaits before, and they are amazing! My very first parfait was from McDonald’s. Ewwww….. I know! But my grandma said they were the best, and so she got one for me and my brother. Haha – I love my grandma! 🙂 (By the way, it was better than I thought it would be, but the oatmeal ones are definitely a lot better – of course, oatmeal makes everything better 😉 )

I definitely need to try you parfait – it looks soooooo good!

11. Molly says:

I live your new blog header! Made me giggle 🙂 do you mind me asking what application you use to create a blo header? Thanks girl!

1. I use photoshop :). Seriously, it is SUCH a good investment.

12. I love parfaits!! Sometimes I put them in these HUGE wine glasses I have. They look so pretty AND they’re tasty 🙂

13. christina says:

I think the new header is fantastic! “strange diet” makes it sound like being vegan is some kind of defect…so I like this much better 🙂

14. I can’t hear the word parfait without the entire Donkey monologue about parfaits from Shrek going through my head … I don’t know that I’ve ever had a parfait before either, but that one looks delicious. I might have to defrost some pumpkin puree and try it out!

1. Hahahahahahaha oh my gosh. Onions have layers… 🙂

15. Alyssa says:

That parfait MIGHT be too pretty for me to even eat 🙂

16. Hey Katie,

I am back to work today and let me tell ya it was hard after my week long vacay. I didn’t want to get out of bed and deal with the stresses of work but here I am 🙂

I like the new header and agree with the strange diet – it is not strange at all! 🙂

17. Rach says:

That parfait is something beautiful. I’ve definitely had a couple of parfaits before… though never when dining out. I have to really watch my sugar intake and usually when you order a parfait from a restaurant it’s mostly sugar.

And the single lady muffins… um, delightful. I just checked that out and I love the idea. I’m so excited to try it! 🙂

18. Lindsey says:

That pumpkin pie mousse looks delicious, and so does the single lady muffin! I really like parfaits but I don’t eat them too often anymore. When I was on a meal plan during undergrad, this one dining hall made the BEST parfaits in their grab-n-go section 🙂

19. Camille says:

That is a gorgeous parfait!
    I will be sending off your movie tomorrow. I promise! 🙂

1. Aww you are entirely too sweet to me!

20. Albizia says:

For me “strange” never referred to veganism. I would rather say it was about chocolate-covered everything and not very common food combinations (which I love, by the way 😉 ). But the new caption is cute, too.

As I’m talking about strange food combinations, I must thank you for the pom and pb sandwiches. I’d never come up with the idea of eating them together but the combo was great. Thanks 🙂 .

The parfait looks splendid. Even if I have tried parfait, I don’t remember it. But I bet it tastes goood.

1. Ahh yay! So glad you tried it. And now you’ve reminded me to have one again :).