The Grapefruit Diet

It seemed like a good idea at the time…

grapefruit

I got suckered into buying an 18-lb bag of grapefruit from Whole Foods for $4. Luckily grapefruit is part of my favorite pre-run breakfast… although it might not be anymore, by the time I get finished with this mondo bag!) Grapefruit is good post-run fuel as well, as I discovered this morning:

zucchini oats

I sliced up some ruby red to go with my Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.
Half a grapefruit down, twenty (?) to go!

zucchini oatmeal

Feeling super-creative, I threw in a blob of Raw Cheesecake.

Best decision ever? Yes. Yes it was. When the raw cheesecake filling melted in to the cinnamon-y oats, it tasted like a gooey cinnamon roll. Wait, but there was zucchini in there. A zucchini cinnamon roll? Hmm, so maybe it doesn’t sound all that great. But it was delicious, I swear! The filling acted like icing. And what’s a cinnamon roll without icing, right?

NYC2010 1716

Question of the Day:
Do you ever buy food or household products in bulk?

I often bulk-buy Jocalat bars and almond milk so I can get a case discount. In terms of household products, I’ll purchase things like toothbrushes and toilet paper in bulk– things I know I’ll use! But now that I think of it, I guess the real question of the day ought to be: got any good grapefruit recipes for me? 😉

1. I buy a lot of things in bulk, but I’ve never seen a bag of grapefruits that big OR for $4 at Whole Foods! They have a really long shelf life though so you should be OK. A grapefruit a day never hurt anyone! :)

2. Lindsey says:

I buy apples and oatmeal in bulk. I bought clementines in bulk in December and it took eating about 4 a day to go through them before they went bad! Haha. That’s a huge bag of grapefruit! I’ve seen some people sprinkle a little sugar (or agave or stevia) on top of half and bake if for a little while and it looks great!

3. You should make this recipe with flax eggs!

I wish I could eat more grapefruit, but it supposedly can interfere with birth control and I don’t need any babies at this juncture in my life! :)

1. Thanks Christin! I’ll definitely be checking out the link. I’m intrigued by the title alone!
      (And lol about the birth control thing!)

4. the grapefruit diet, auch! well, at least it’s better than the MAPLE SYRUP DIET my grandma told me she once did.

I hardly buy in bulk, its not that common in Holland to have access to that without owning your own store/bar or whatever! very sad…

1. Ick, my neighbor went on one of those. I thought the maple syrup part sounded ok… but the rest was all lemon juice and cayenne pepper 😕

1. The MS diet I was told about… was JUST maple syrup. 6 tall glasses a day I think. Nothing else. I almost fell off my chair when I heard that. Makes atkins and the like seem pretty awesome, compared :p

5. Ha, that bag is awesome! I’m a big fan of grapefruit, but I think it would take me a while to go through a bag like that. Truthfully I’m shocked you were able to find such a great deal at Whole Foods!

I love bulk foods, but unfortunately I no longer live anywhere close to a bulk food store. I used to stock up on massive bags of brown rice and dried beans.

1. I know, right?! Whole Foods is usually expensive for produce. Gotta take advantage when you spot a good deal ;).

6. MaryBe says:

I love grapefruit and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice! I have to sprinkle something sweet on it though. It’s just too hmm pucker-y without it!
    And yes that was a great price!
    I buy hummus in bulk at BJ’s Wholesale Club, along with V8 and Almond Milk and a few other staples

7. e says:

oh katie, that bag looks bigger than you! your so cute hahaha :). i love buying in bulk at costco. they have the best deals sometimes. and did you know they even sell larabars? i was so excited when i found this out! well have a great friday.
    xoxo

1. Haha yeah it was a little hard to hold ;). I have seen the Larabars at Costco. Clif bars too.

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Have fun witht he grapefruit! We had an interesting salad with grapefruit once. You could make grapefruit muffins or grapefruit cheesecake! A little searh yielded a few more ideas: broiled grapefruit, grapefruit cookies, and grapefruit lemonade.

We belong to a food coop so we buy a lot of things in bulk, and most of it organic: almond milk, lentils, dried beans, rolled oats, nuts, and more. They even have Dandies vegan marshmallows! I wish they had Medjool dates, but they don’t. (yet) Sometimes it’s a bit much… 10 kg of dried chickpeas lasts forever!

1. Grapefruit cheesecake? Somehow, that sounds really good to me.

9. Lol! That’s a lot of fruit! I just bought a huge bag of carrots for juicing this week. I managed to shove the whole thing into my fridge but now there’s no room for anything else. I love your blog btw! So fun!

1. Thanks so much, Julia, for brightening my Friday :).
      Hehe I have the same problem with cooking in bulk: I like to freeze leftovers, but my freezer is getting too full!

10. Heather says:

Four dollars for that giganto bag?! What a deal! I otten buy things in bulk at SAMs, though I have to be careful not to buy too many different things at once so they don’t spoil. Right now, I am just finishing up a big bag of honeycrisp apples (LOVE) and I have about 1/2 of a 8 pound bag of potatoes that I’m still trying to get through!

Your zucchini bread oatmeal looks fantastic! Never thought of adding vegetables to oats before!

11. I love the versatility of zucchini, seriously. If I were a raw foodist, I’m sure I’d utilize it even more….did you know it makes a great, bean-free hummus?

1. Oh, and as for buying in bulk…usually only frozen fruits or things like veggie burgers…something I know I’ll eat all of…

Perhaps lettuce and sugar snap peas as well. I can eat those in mounds. :)

2. I have been meaning to make zucchini hummus for so long! It’s definitely on my “to make” list. (I think the recipe I took down is from Miss Caroline over at http://www.broccolihut.com)

12. I’ve added your raw cheesecake to oats before. Soo melty and yummy!

I’ve been thinking about buying more stuff in bulk to save money. Where do buy your almond milk in bulk?

1. When I see it at the grocery store (Kroger, Sprouts, or Whole Foods) for $1.79, I’ll buy a case. Then I get a case discount AND a great price! :)

13. Holy mother of grapefruits! I can’t say we would go through those fast enough around here! We aren’t Costco people, no major bulk buying around here (I have a fear of having “too much stuff”), but if you count Amazon as bulk, I do buy tea and coconut oil in larger quantities!

14. Thetreadmilldiaries says:

Can’t wait to see how creative you get with all that grapefruit.

15. Maryann says:

Love grapefruit! I only buy stuff in bulk if its a good deal and I know it wont go bad. $4 bag of grapefruit would definitely go home with me!

16. Stefanie says:

I pretty much buy everything in bulk! Hello, Costco! <– my love. But I've never been a big grapefruit fan–I'd have to add a bunch of sugar to eat it!

17. VEGirl says:

Haha, LOL! My grandma would die for that huge big of grapefruit! That is pretty lucky you got it considering the crop this year! I don’t eat them very often but if YOU could come up with some awesome recipes for them I might?

Oh, and bulk is THE word in my family. I should post a picture of our kitchen sometime– we have huge glass jars lining the walls and the pantry, all filled with everything form raw beans and lentils, to nuts and seeds, to raisins, to baking soda! Love LOVE LOVE the bulk section! The only catch, for my mom and I, is if the bin is right next to a bin containing wheat products. Then we steer clear.

VEGirl

18. Picky Nicky says:

I wish I had that bag 😀 Looks like you got it just in time for cold and flu season lol Load up on vitamin C :)

1. Ack, so true. It’s supposed to snow and rain here all next week :(. Must. Get. Extra vitamin c!

19. sometimes i buy avocados or coconut flour in bulk. as for the grapefruits, i like to use 1/2 in a green smoothie. it really brightens up the flavor!

1. Ooo thanks for the cool idea! Now I really want to try a grapefruit green smoothie!

20. Disturbed says:

I usually don’t buy things in bulk since it is just me I am feeding at school. Things like fruit I might because I can go through fruit rather easily. I usually eat at least 3-4 grapefruits or oranges a day. Easily. I love grapefruit, and can go through them like there is no tomorrow. I am the only one in my family who can eat them because they hurt everybody elses’ stomach.

I actually have a question for you that may bee a bit too much information, but I figured you would be someone good to ask being you can give me an answer that is vegan lol. Being I am recovering from anorexia, my digestive system is very screwed up. I am consistently eating 1,500 calories or more a day now and slowly adding more, but my digestive system is still not great and it needs some work. My main concern is that I can go up to five days without having a bowel movement (I know too much info), but it is worrying me. On a normal day I eat bran cereal for breakfast, something small like a salad for lunch, a citrus fruit or two throughout the day, and dinner is usually either an oat bar or a citrus fruit or something else small. So, I was wondering if you had any ideas on something I could add into my diet (that I could get at Wal-Mart) that would help me. Sorry if I grossed you out lol.

1. Melissa says:

I know I’m not Katie but I wanted to ask how you’re sure you’re doing 1500 a day? I eat about that since I’m watching my weight and I eat a LOT more food than what you are saying you eat.

I’m thinking your issue might be due to just not eating enough, period. If you don’t have a lot of bulk/mass in your stomach, you don’t have to pass it very often. I eat about 1400-1600 a day and I go to the bathroom at least 2-3x a day.

If you haven’t yet, try writing out the calories you’re consuming and make sure you’re actually eating what you think you are. I’d guesstimate your calories at under 1200 (which is bare minimum for survival). You also don’t mention any real sources of good fats or protein in your meal plan. Can you add some peanut or other nut butter to your diet? How about tossing some beans onto your salad? The fiber in the beans will help your digestion and the protein will help you build/heal muscles.

I’m struggling a bit with disordered thoughts/eating myself so I sympathize with you. I really think you’re overestimating your calories consumed, though, and you aren’t eating the protein, fat and whole grains in amounts you need to be healthy.

Add nut butters or other forms of good fat (avocado, whole nuts/seeds), see if you can find chia seed since it’s incredibly nutritious and provides essential fatty acids and fiber/vitamins. If eating more freaks you out, maybe start by eating (a lot) more fresh fruit/veggies? They might be less scary/triggering than other food that might seem “bad” to you still. Honestly, though, definitely find a good source of protein you can eat. Grains and veg do have some protein, especially when you eat half a pound of brussels at a go like I do, but nuts/seeds/tofu/tempeh/vegan meats are much more dependable sources. I like the Clif Builder bars, too, if you can handle eating that. They are tasty and have 20 grams of protein plus vitamins/minerals that your body probably needs after having food reduced for a while.

Maybe do hot oatmeal with fruit, chia, nut butter and almond milk for breakfast rather than cold cereal? That’s my go-to and it’s wonderful. I use the recipe over at http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/ and it’s fantastic. Oatmeal also has a lot of the fiber you need to keep things moving.

Also, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. Water + fiber = healthy bowels.
      Best of luck to you and I wish you the best as you get well. *hugs*

1. Melissa says:

Oh, and only figure out calories if it’s not going to trigger you badly.
        If you don’t think you can do it, then I’d just highly suggest adding some higher fat/protein foods into your meals and seeing how you feel.

1. Disturbed says:

I actually use Cron-o-meter which counts my calories for me, and very precisely. The oat bar that I eat is about 360 calories by itself, and I am known to eat two. Chai Latte’s also give me about 240 calories.
          I get a range of about 35-50g of protein a day. 30-40g of fiber.
          I know I need to add more depth to my diet, but I don’t have much money being a high school student 4 hours away from my family to get a wide array of food, and so that hurts me. My school’s cafeteria doesn’t have much vegan things either, so I have a hard time getting bulk. I do need to up my calories though because I am still loosing about .4 lbs a day and I shouldn’t be, so I will try to add more bulk to things.

1. Melissa says:

Ah yes, serving size makes a difference, for sure. I’m glad you’ve got an accurate handle on it, though.

Does the caf have peanut butter, bagels – stuff like that? Brown rice, pasta? Rather than eating a salad at lunch why not have something a bit heavier – brown rice and veggies with some beans, pasta with beans and marinara, things like that? Even just adding some nuts/seeds, cooked beans, olives, dressing, etc. to the salad would help. Plus, since those things are calorie dense but not super filling it might be less of an issue with you not being used to lots of bulk?

I wasn’t vegan in HS so I’m having trouble remembering what things were like. I seem to recall a lot of fast food garbage covered in cheese and meat. So I feel your pain. I know Walmart sells the Builder Bars I talked about. They are super good and easy to tote around. Adding a Builder to your salad at lunch might help?

I’ll shush now ’cause Katie reminded me that I really shouldn’t be giving out advice when I’m not qualified. :/ I just want to help but I don’t want my helping to end up hurting… if you can find a counselor at school who can get you in touch with a professional, that might be good? You ought to be able to quietly see someone without your family knowing – though, eventually, it’d be nice to have their support, I’m sure.

I’m just now starting to vocalize about my troubles with food/calories/exercise/bad brain stuff to my friends and SO and I’m finding it helpful to just talk about it. That said, I still haven’t outright told my Mom or anything. :/ So, once again, I feel you.

2. Hey sweetie pie!
      No no, you didn’t gross me out at all! Bathroom talk is a completely normal thing, right? 😉 We all do it… lol at least I hope we all do!
      But the BEST advice I can give you on this is to please be sure and see a doctor who specializes in eating disorders (if you don’t already). Like Melissa worried, I also worry that you might not be eating enough, especially just having a salad for lunch. But I am NOT a doctor, and I don’t have any kind of medical training, so I would be way off base to try and offer you medical advice. Please do see someone more highly-qualified. From getting to know you through the comments you leave, it is OBVIOUS you are a sweetheart who deserves only the best. So you deserve the best medical care available, too… much better than any advice I could give you, because I’m not trained.
      Lots of love (and chocolate hugs),
      Katie

1. Disturbed says:

I actually don’t see anybody about my eating disorder and recovery because my family doesn’t even know of my illness. I am going at recovery alone, and I have come to terms with that.