Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Butter Obsessed

I sure do love butter.

Peanut butter, coconut butter, even Chocolate Butter :).

What I don’t eat of the dairy stuff, I make up for in all the other butters that find their way into my happy tummy. My newest obsession is gingerbread butter.

gingerbread jar

After requests, I wrote specific ingredient amounts.

You can see the updated recipe here: Gingerbread Butter

Even though the Christmas season is over, I have no plans to give up my gingerbread butter any time soon. In fact, I just made a double batch yesterday:

gingerbreadgingerbread vegan

If you see a weirdo eating Gingerbread Cookie Dough Balls at the beach this summer, it is me.
As I said, these things are way too good to be relegated only to Christmas.

In other “obsession” news, my dog is a pyromaniac. Take a look:

NYC2010 1740

As soon as the fire goes on, Henry plants himself in front of it and does not move a hair until it goes off. If anyone can recommend a good doggie therapist, I’d be very much obliged.

Question of the Day:
If you had to live at the grocery store, what aisle would you call home?

My best guy friend would set up an apartment on Beer Street. Daddy Dearest could does get lost in the wine/cheese section. And my grandma owns the pasta aisle. I don’t think little sister has a favorite aisle, because she hates grocery shopping. (She also hates bananas. Are we really related?)

Me, I could spend hours and hours staring at all the chocolate bars. But I love the nut-butter aisle too. Other butter recipes with which I’m obsessed:

I’d say “I’ve never met a (vegan) butter I didn’t like” but honestly almond butter and I don’t get along too well. It’s not that I hate the stuff, but if I’m going to be eating nut butter, there are others I love more. (Psst vegans: Justins now makes a chocolate-hazelnut butter that tastes like Nutella!)

1. Lindsey in CO says:

I think I would set up camp in the ethnic foods aisle. I am fascinated by all of the sauces and powders and random spices. I don’t know how to use most of them, but I’m working on it!

On a side note, I recently started reading your blog and love it! Your recipes are fantastic and super helpful. We recently learned that my 5 year old daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs – your recipes have really saved me in the kitchen when she says she’s in the mood for something sweet!!

1. Lindsey in CO says:

On a side note, have you ever tried PB2? You might really like it – it is powdered peanut butter that you “reconstitute” with the liquid of your choice. It has great nutritional values (54 calories and 1/2g fat for 2T!). I have mixed it with water, honey, grape jelly, olive oil, even mashed banana. After reading your blog, I plan to try mixing it with coconut butter. That might be dangerously delicious! I buy mine at

1. I’ve seen that stuff on so many blogs! But I just never got around to trying it. However, I think you might’ve just sold me with your coconut-butter idea. I’ll pick some up next time I see it!

1. abby says:

oh you should! pb2 is so yummy, i love it! it’s good as a base for your banana butter as well ;).

2. Jennifer says:

Hey Lindsey,

I have a son who’s allergic to eggs and milk too. He’s three. It is actually been a good thing as it keeps certain relatives from feeding him too much junk food. 🙂 They still manage to sneak it in, but at least it’s modified.

1. Lindsey in CO says:

You are so right about that!! My mother used to feed Annika sugar CONSTANTLY! Not anymore 🙂

3. I’m overwhelmed by the ethnic spices too! I love going out to Indian restaurants or Ethiopian, because then I don’t have to figure out how to use them… but I can still enjoy the yuminess! 🙂
      P.S. Thanks so much for the sweet comment. My little cousin, who’s also five, is allergic to dairy too. He’s in love with those So Delicious brand coconut milk yogurts.

2. ruby red says:

Oh yum! That’s funny that your sister hates grocery shopping, because mine does too! Grocery shopping is one of my favorite pasttimes. If my family goes to Whole Foods to pick up a meal or a couple grocery items for me (they don’t shop there for themselves), my sister will stay in the car. She hates reading menus at restaurants too. What a weirdo, right?! But the aisle I would call my home…that’s hard! Probably the specialty section in general: you have the higher end chocolates, beer, coffee, and fun things like fig preserves (which I still have not purchased)!

That pic of Henry is too funny!

1. Is this a reflection on us? Are we bad sisters? I mean, we didn’t teach out siblings very well, did we? 😕

3. Kim says:

Henry doesn’t need a doggy therapist, you just need to curl up next to the fire with him!

As for what aisle I’d live in, I’d choose either the baking aisle, or produce! Or maybe the ethnic foods section…or…oh heck, can I just have my own grocery store?

1. Hahaha I would curl up next to him… but I can’t stand that close to the fire for too long. It gets too hot. I don’t know how Henry does it; his tummy gets so hot it turns bright pink, but he still stays as close as possible!

4. Albizia says:

Wow! It really looks like cookie dough! No wonder you are obsessed 🙂 .

I would feel at home anywhere in the grocery store because I often use grocery shopping as a kind of therapy when I feel bad. I just love the whole place.

5. Camille says:

The chocolate isle! Obviously!
    Is there really any other option?

6. Picky Nicky says:

I HAVE to try your gingerbread butter 😀 Ohmygoodness, I just did a post about getting enough iron and I now know molasses is a good source of it. I might as well eat it in something delicious 🙂 My grocery store has an aisle specifically for organic/health/gluten-free foods so I think I’d gladly live there 🙂

7. I’m not a big fan of almond butter either, then again, I haven’t had the opportunity to try out Justin’s chocolate almond butter

1. It’s good… but not as creamy as chocolate pb. Ooh but I actually like his maple almond butter.

8. I would DEFINITELY live in the organic/natural foods section, but I don’t think I could ever pick just one aisle! maybe the nut butter aisle with all the cacao nibs…:)

1. Yes! A natural-foods nomad 🙂

9. Wow, that question is probably one of the hardest…there are so many good aisles! I don’t know…can we throw items to others in other aisles, too, and trade with each other? Please? You can tell I’m really struggling with this 🙂

1. LOL oh my gosh too funny. Ok, since this is an imaginary game, why not? Let’s say we can even special order things from other stores :).

10. hippierunner says:

If I had to call an aisle home, I’d want it to be near the dried fruit and nuts section!

11. VeggieGirl says:

I would just hop from aisle to aisle at Whole Foods if I lived there 😉

12. Disturbed says:

My isle is the fruit area. I could spend hours there. Either that or just the section of “health”/”organic”/”vegan” stuff.
    I love grocery shopping personally, well it is a love hate relationship.

13. Lindsey says:

You would definitely find me on the organic/specialty aisle. The big grocery store where I live is called Martins, and they have this HUGE double aisle full of neat organic, vegetarian, and vegan food. 🙂 I could spend hours there!

1. Sarah C. says:

That’s where I’d make my home too. Nice to meet you, neighbor ;).

14. Kalese says:

Henry is too cute! My dogs (a JRT and min pin) hover by the fire too, but they also really really like to sleep under the covers. It is funny because I will come home and it looks like the bed hasn’t been made because they are burrowing under the covers! With short coats you can’t blame them here in the cold northeast.

I like the bulk foods aisle, ya know where you can get the dried nuts, fruits, grains, candies, etc. For some reason I think I am getting a better bargain by buying like that…plus less excess packaging!

1. Aww :). Does your JRT shed, though? I so want to cuddle with Henry on the bed, but he sheds all over 🙁

1. Kalese says:

I’ve found that if I give him a bath regularly with Furminator Shampoo and brush him with their shedding blade he doesn’t shed all that much…it works and I can get my cuddle fix!!

1. *Writes down “Furminator shampoo” on grocery list*

15. Brandi says:

Yummy Gingerbread butter! I think I must have to make this soon! I don’t even care it’s not Christmas. I think I’ll eat gingerbread or ginger snap anything at any time of the year. It’s just to good to ever give up!

I don’t think I could pick an aisle. When I go into Whole Foods, I move to one thing and then to another just looking at all the neat food stuff there is! It seems there is something new every time I look.

My youngest dog who is a cocker spaniel black lab mix, is in love with heat. When I sit on the couch in the morning eating granola and the heater at my feet she’ll jump on the couch and place her head on my lap to feel the heat. I find it funny. She’ll lay in from of the vents sometimes when the furnace is on as well. Also the other day I layered her with blankets to see if she would do anything and she fell asleep. Oh silly dog.

1. Doggies are just the cutest things in the world. But I do not understand how they can tolerate sitting so close to the heat for so long!

16. I would set up camp in the chocolate aisle too! Actually i do every time I go shopping! 😛
    I love looking at snack bars too- I have a minor obsession with those! 😀

1. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I WILL be making that gingerbread butter tomorrow! Looks AMAZING 😀

17. i FREAKIN love your butters! any aisle? OH girl, you know this one is tricky-i’d say the bread aisle? no… the fruit aisle! screw it.. im going for the nut butter aisle- an ENTIRE aisle dedicated to nut butter.. that is what ima talkin’ bout

18. Gloria says:

Your pup is so adorable! I would live on the nut butter aisle. People question the 10 jars of nut butter in my fridge, but come on.. they are all different and serve a unique purpose! The Justin’s Choc Hazelnut makes the most ridiculous “nutella” ice cream. Almond milk + “Nutella”, blend, chill, churn in ice cream maker. It rocked my life!

1. Woah. This might be the most delicious comment ever left on my blog. I do not care that they’re predicting snow for Dallas starting tomorrow. I’m getting the ice cream maker out. Is that all it is, milk and the butter? Or do you add anything else? And do you have measurements? I must make this nutella ice cream!

1. Gloria says:

I used 2 cups almond milk to 3/4 cup butter and it came out how I like it (not too sweet, and fairly light). Then I went all out and used 2 cups almond milk, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup cashews, and 1/4 cup sugar. It was super decadent – I couldn’t handle it, but my family and friends devoured it!

I live in South Florida and it’s 70 and sunny so I eat ice cream year round! When I became vegan, there was no way I was giving up my ice cream – I got a simple Cuisinart at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and it rocks. Dallas?? Did you hear about the vegan movie theatre opening up in Fort Worth? So random, but awesome!

1. Ok, must make this soon. Gosh I wish I lived in Florida right now! Is it ever cold there? Maybe I should move… I’m serious!
          I didn’t hear about the movie theater… off to google it!

19. Fi says:

I’d like to think I’m quite the nutbutter connosieur myself! Not in the making but definitely in the tasting department! Have you tried apricot kernel butter!? I didn’t like it, it’s too tangy! I’m not a fan of brazil nutbutter either. But I could definitely get stranded in the fruit n veg section (as long as if was next to the bread aisle!) 😉

1. I’d never even heard of that before! I want to try! Brazil nut butter, pistachio butter, apricot, pumpkin seed… I’ve not seen any of these, but I wish I could find them!

20. YUM! I love all butters but this sounds especially delicious. Cute dog, my cats also love laying by the fire its weird.