Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

How to feed a Hungry Guy

What is it with guys and Monty Python?

Saturday night, I sat through Monty Python and the Holy Grail with one of my guy friends. Next weekend, methinks I will force him to watch Notting Hill or another such girly movie. It’s payback time!

Actually heΒ already paid me back by letting me cook vegan food for him. Mid-way through the movie, he informed me (in true guy fashion), “I’m hungry. Whatcha got to eat?” I joked back that if he wanted to eat in my house, he’d better like tofu! But, to my surprise, my steak-loving friend responded, “Hey, I’m up for anything. Bring on the tofu!” And so I did.

Well, not exactly. There was no tofu in the meal I prepared for my friend. But there was vegan cheese:

3-Ingredient Chili Bowl

(No, not the unfortunate haircut)

1. Mix the bulgur and chili, then add the cheese to the top and microwave.
2. Stir and serve.

The chili took about a minute to make, not including microwave time. This was good, because I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen for hours on end. Not when we had plans for a Game Night.

So basically, for the chili, I looked around in the fridge and pulled out random leftovers that sounded like they’d go well together. The Daiya had been in my refrigerator for a while because I didn’t like it much when I tried it; it tasted too much like cheese!

My friend thought so, too. After he took a bite of the chili, he actually remarked, “This is really good. But I thought you were making me vegan food. You didn’t have to add cheese.” Haha you should’ve seen the look on his face when I told him the truth ;).

Unfortunately, I can’t show you, due to my policy on posting photos. But I can show you another guy’s face. And this face is priceless. Are ya ready?

After hungry friend finished every last bite of his chili, we left Monty Python paused, and a few other friends joined us for a Scrabble war. (I won. Take that, boys.) Henry wanted to play too, but my friends said no. I think they were secretly afraid of being beaten by a puppy. Is that really worse than being beaten by a girl?

Question of the Day:
What’s your favorite board game?

Although I’m really good at Scrabble and love love love Scattergories, my #1 favorite has to be Monopoly. I’m evil with that game, and I always win… but this means no one wants to play with me anymore lol.

Katie is the baker, photographer, and author of the popular blog Chocolate-Covered Katie. Her favorite food is chocolate, and she believes in eating a balanced diet that includes dessert every single day.Β More about Katie—>Β
Tags: , , ,

1. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite board games = Monopoly and Life.

2. Favourite board game = Monopoly! πŸ˜€ Love the sound of that Chilli bowl!

3. I LOVE scrabble! And apples to apples!

4. Albizia says:

It’s so funny how dogs’ eyes always look blue on pictures when one uses a flash. I’d be very happy if it happened to mine, too. It’s much better than red :) .

My favorite game was Monopoly. I bet this will be the most popular answer πŸ˜‰ .

1. Oh yes, I agree! I hate “red eye” and would much rather have “pet eye” lol.

5. Melissa says:

If you like Scrabble, you may LOVE bananagrams!
    It’s my new favorite thing ever. I love word games (Boggle, Scrabble, etc.) but Scrabble can take too long. I get bored easily like a small child, bananagrams is fast moving and I like that better. :)

1. Melissa says:

Oh crap! I just realized there is a digital, free FB version available. O.o
      Oh dude, my productivity just TANKED. πŸ˜‰

1. Cecilia says:

There’s even an app of it on iTunes! πŸ˜‰

2. I’ve never seen Bananagrams, but someone else recommended it too as being reeeeaally fun. I am on the hunt!

6. Favorite board game: Sorry!!! I LOVE that game! And Monopoly…..

7. The chili seems like a super quick idea that I’ll have to keep in mind. Maybe I’ll have to add some crispy baked tofu slices if I make it :)

As for board games, my all-time favorite is Risk, so long as I can find others who are willing to set aside time to play.

1. I’ve never played Risk! Just googled it, though, and it sounds like fun. I’d totally be willing to set aside time to play with you hehe :).

8. hippierunner says:

Scattegories is my favorite. Scrabble is second on my list. And we just got a new game called Take 5 that’s like a faster version of Scattegories!

1. *Off to googe “Take 5″* Anything that’s like Scattergories sounds good to me!

9. Jennifer JCD says:

Oh, we LOVE board games! Whenever my family gets together we spend hours around the table playing games. Right now our favourites are Quelf (the game of utmost ridiculousness), Settlers of Catan, Othello, and Scattergories.

1. I think you need to invite me to your next family get-together, if for no other reason than to broaden my cultural horizons. I’ve never heard of any of those games! :(

10. Jennifer says:

My sister and her friends are obsessed with Monty Python! I assumed that it was a generational thing (I am not all that “into” Monty Python, but I am a few years older than my sister). When, however, I tried to use Monty Python to illustrate a point in one of my lectures to the college sophomores in the Medieval history class I teach, only one had actually seen the movie. Oh well.

1. Wow, that is so strange. Basically every single guy I know has seen the movie!

11. That chili bowl sounds tasty!!!!
    Can’t wait for tomorrow’s post! =D

12. I love yahtzee! Any dice game really. Clue, card games! There was this game me and my sis used to play called Careers. It was so old that the box was falling apart but we loved it and just couldn’t let it go. Well, last year my mom thought it was trash (because it probably looked like trash) so she threw it out! Sister and I were horrified! Oh well…maybe I can find another one online.

I’m excited about tomorrows post!

1. My mom was talking about that game too! It was her favorite, and she actually found one online! Ebay, I think! :)

13. I am not a huge fan of board games! And I love Monty Python. And I think it’s funny that you don’t like the Daiya because it tastes like cheese, because that is the reason I’m super in love with it! :)

1. Hahaha it’s just too creepy for me. I dunno, I used to be addicted to cheese, but after not having it in so long, I felt SO weird eating the Daiya. lol

14. I totally love Monopoly as well. I guess because I am into real estate in real life, haha. But really I get super competitive in that game.

15. Bulgur in chili is one of my favorite things! Yum.

I am not a fan of board games.

16. Haha go girl! πŸ˜€
    Come on, it’s Pictionary all the way!! Although Cluedo and Scattergries are close seconds! :)

1. abby says:

i love pictionary, but no one likes playing with me because they can never guess what i draw. it’s not my best talent haha.

17. Rach says:

Haha! So I definitely thought Amy was a friend of yours and you were using her recipe and I was like “Oh my word, I need to try out this chili recipe that only takes a minute to make!” hehe! Then I checked out your link and realized what was goin’ on. Ah, oh well…

How do you like the Daiya vegan cheese? I tried Natural Gourmet and liked it a lot more than I expected to, but I haven’t tried any other brands.

1. The Daiya had been in my refrigerator for a while because I didn’t like it much when I tried it; I thought it tasted too much like cheese! But my friend loved it.
      He said: β€œThis is delicious. But I thought you were making me vegan food. You didn’t have to add cheese.”

1. Rach says:

Oooh perfect! I definitely need to try this one out next! Thanks! :)

18. Lorin says:

I’m a girl and Monty Python is one of my favorite movies. Sounds like you had fun though! Happy Monday.

1. abby says:

me too! i love that movie!

19. I was JUST talking w/ my hubs last night about our fave board games as kids. In TWELVE YEARS together we have never had that convo, and today you ask it on your blog :)

Skylar is just learning candyland, and when i was growing up, monopoly, connect 4, battleship, Clue, shoots and ladders, scrabble, I LOVED board games!!!!

Feeding hungry guys by doctoring up a few things…that’s the name of my game, too :)

1. Woah, ok that is creepy!
      And awww I remember when we learned to play Candyland. You’d better be cherishing these moments with Skylar; they go by too fast! :(

2. Kristen says:

Oh I loved Candy Land… and Shoots and ladders! Every time I see them I want to buy then just to have them. No children yet. Are board games a good reason to have a baby? :)

1. Haha oh gosh that sounds like a good reason to me. I want a baby so I can buy all the little outfits… so I can’t judge you ;).

20. Namaste Gurl says:

Favorite board game would be Apples to Apples– but that’s indeed a hard one. I, too, LOVE monopoly and scattagories as well. I think I get a bit too serious when playing though, it’s almost as if it’s a real life kinda a thing :)

1. I so need to play Apples to Apples. I never have, but everyone else seems to love it!

21. I love Monty Python! Best quotable movie ever! But I’m more like a dude, so…..anyway, I’d totally come over and watch dude movies if you’d feed me that chili too. Love Daiya! But just found out our Whole Foods is going to stop carrying it because there isn’t enough demand. That is so not cool.

1. abby says:

ok so this is a strange question, but i saw you said you’re more like a dude, so i’m hoping: am i the only one who likes harold and kumar goes to white castles? it’s my favorite movie, but all my friends say only guys can like that movie! soooo not true! πŸ˜‰

22. Candy Land is my favorite! Excited for your post tomorrow :)

23. Most guys I know love that movie too! My favorite game is probably Scattergories :)

24. Susan says:

I love cooking vegetarian for meat eaters! It kind of feels like showing off. It’s like saying “hey, no meat is JUST as delicious!”.

Board games are the best I love Cranium!

1. abby says:

i’m so glad katie asked this question, because i was reading the responses and you reminded me that i NEED to get out my cranium game. i do not know where it went, but i went through a phase where i played every single day :).

25. Sarah C. says:

You and Henry are so cute :). I definitely woulda let him join the game :).

26. Disturbed says:

My favorite board game is by far Settlers of Catan. It is a little hard to get into at first, but once you understand it, it is hard to stop playing. I have wasted many Saturdays on that game.

1. Great choice! I love that game and know just how addicting it can be.

2. I never even heard of that game until today! I feel so un-cultured lol.

27. abby says:

awwwww what, they wouldn’t let him play??? mean boys.
    my favorite favorite games are scattegories and clue. but i also like the game of life, with the cars and little people haha.

28. Sarah says:

Monopoly is a classic of course. I go to a very Jewish school, so Friday nights/ Saturdays are all about Bananagrams and Settlers of Catan. It’s cool to see that Settlers is catching on.

p.s. you can actually find Bananagrams at Target!

1. Seriously?! Haha as if I needed an extra excuse to go to Target! :) :)

29. Inspired says:

I love Monopoly! You’d think that would mean I’m very good with money. Sadly, riches in a game don’t seem to transfer to the real world. But wouldn’t that be nice? πŸ˜‰

30. Leslie says:

I love the photo of you and Henry :).
    And that chili looks delicious. I’m all about the easy recipes. Will have to look for that chili at the store. Too bad you don’t like Daiya, I love it!

1. Leslie says:

Also, is it just me or is your site changing colors?

1. Just you. You’re crazy ;).
        No, haha actually I’m playing around with the color.

31. Camille says:

I am a Life fanatic! We recently bought Family Game Night 3 for the PS3 and I can’t stop playing Life! :)

32. Lyza says:

I agree!! I think daiya tastes too much like cheese too :) I usually only eat it if it’s on vegan pizza (the wholefoods slices are divine). Otherwise, I was never much of a cheese person!! In fact, when I was a kid I even used to have my pizza ordered from Marco’s or wherever, completely cheeseless πŸ˜› And now I am vegan! Just goes to show.

1. LOL I hated tomatoes as a kid, so I would ONLY eat the cheese off the pizza! Now it’s the opposite. So ironic :).

1. Lyza says:

That is too funny! :) I guess our tastes definitely change over time!

Lol your site…make it pink! make it blue!! πŸ˜›

2. Oh my gosh, great minds SERIOUSLY think alike. I *just* wrote that in my post for tomorrow. I love that movie. (And I was on Team Blue hehe)

3. Lyza says:

Omg, that’s too funny! :) I think the blue goes best with the site but I loved it pink too! Hmm…Go Team Blue! And yeah, pretty much any disney princess movie is a win in my book. :)

33. My favorite board games is life – especially when I play it with lots of friends! You chile look soooo good! I really want to try daiya, but it’s too expensive :( . And Henry is so cute (as always)!

34. Scrabble’s always good! And I love Monty Python…”He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!” Class… :-)

1. abby says:

35. Claire says:

Monopoly is simply an amazing game, my sister and I played it for 7 house straight one day … haven’t looked at it since but the time’s coming for it to make an appearance. And you don’t like Monty Python?? (It could be to do with growing up in the UK so I’m somewhat biased – and to be fair it is very British humour – but but but it’s Monty Python, one of the best comic groups of all time, especially The Meaning of Life). Oh well, not everyone likes the same things πŸ˜€

1. It’s not that I don’t like it, but it’s just not my favorite. In contrast, my guy friends think it’s the best thing since sliced bread!

1. Claire says:

Ah fair enough then, and yeah I’ve noticed a similar trend guys tend to have difficulty restraining themselves when watching it!

36. Aw, that “you didn’t have to add cheese” story is so cute!

I took a Scrabble class in college (nerdy school) and I met my Scrabble quota for the next ten years. I can barely look at a board without wanting to cry.

My favorite games are Apples to Apples, Cranium, and Mad Gabs! SO fun. Game nights are the best!

1. Valerie says:

Holy cow, what?! A scrabble class???! Where was that when I went to college and had to take boring math and science courses? Your college sounds way more fun!

37. CLUEDO for sure! I always wanted to be Miss Scarlet when I was little…yeah, i didn’t really get it!

Also that chilli looks epic :)

1. I was always Miss Scarlett too. And I read the Clue books as well. Did you know they made books? lol

1. Books!? No! Maybe I missed them in Australia (i grew up there)? Now I am mourning all the hours of Cluedo love I could have had haha :)

2. Bahaha – “Whom did Mrs. White Stab?” – as a name for a kid’s book!!?

3. Yeah, I guess they WERE kinda (very?) morbid! lol

38. Ann Claire says:

Have you tried bananagrams? It’s very similiar to Scrabble but even more fun. I high recommend it! As for my favorite games, I love Last Word and Quelf. Neither are super common but they are so much fun!

1. I’m going to have to look at those games, because I’ve never tried a single one of them!

39. Valerie says:

We love Apples to Apples at our house. Candy Land is a big one too. And Shoots and Ladders. Does anyone else know that one? :)

40. emma says:

I’m with you on the Scrabble thing! Love Boggle too – any word games really :-) xx

41. 1 minute to make?! Dannng, that’s awesome. And yeah..I don’t know what it is with guys and Monty Python either. It’s a funny movie and all, but c’mon! haha

My favorite board game is Clue!! I havent played in forever but it’s so much fun!

42. Susan says:

Monty Python! I love that movie. Yeah I’m still a tomboy inside :).

43. Monopoly for sure, although my entire family despises it!

44. BroccoliHut says:

I really don’t get the whole Monty Python obsession either–I’ve avoided it at all costs thus far in my relationship with Seth…
    As far as board games go, I really love word-centric games like Scattergories and Scrabble. My favorite though is Taboo!

45. Hannah says:

Oh gosh, I’ve been wanting to play Monopoly since 2007 when I bought “UVAopoly” in America, but no one will play with me because they aren’t at all interested in the novelty of playing the version based on the school only I went on exchange to!

(Wow, that was a grammatically-awful sentence. Apologies!)

1. LOL I’d play with you no matter WHAT version it was :). Here in Texas, the big seller is Cowboy-opoly. Yeah, ridiculous. Personally, I like the Pet-Opoly game I saw once. So cute :).

46. Nicole says:

Scrabble! I used to really liek Life too. I don’t knwo why, particularly. Now I liek to be nerdy and come up with fancy words πŸ˜‰ heehee.

I also do not quite get the whole Monty Python thing. I watched it first in 6th grade and thought it was stupid, watched it again a few years later and found it mildly amusing, but have yet to understand the general obsession.

OH i just read something about apples to apples. not exactly a “board” game but SOOO much fun to play! hilarity typically ensues πŸ˜‰

1. I like Life because of all the little things you can put in the cars! Once, when I was playing with my cousins, we kept sneaking more children into one of my cousins’ cars when he wasn’t looking. He had to take on a second car! (Then he finally figured it out lol)

1. Nicole says:

Oh we totally just tried to get as many people in the cars as possible… haha. :)

Also, forgot to mention that I’d TOTALLY play monopoly with you! even though I’d definitely lose haha πŸ˜‰

2. I’m holding you to that Monopoly date!! πŸ˜‰

47. I love that your chili is just three ingredients and can be made in the microwave – exactly what I need for a week night recipe! I also happen to love black beans :)

I love playing board games! Monopoly is hands down my favorite too. I also like Phase 10 (card game) and Apples to Apples. I haven’t played Apples to Apples for a reallly long time, but I just got it for Christmas so I hope to play it in the near future!

1. Ok, I must get on this Apples to Apples board. I’ve never played!

1. mo says:

Its not a board game, but its really fun.

48. I love board games. My daughters are just now getting old enough to start playing board games and I am so excited to start family game nights. Right now we are loving the Dr. Seuss Restaurant game. You get to wear a chef hat and call out orders while the other players act as waiters/waitresses and sous chefs fulfilling the orders.

BTW – thanks for your bloggie <3 were my first bloggie friend on FB. xoxo

1. Oh Ashley, you are so welcome! And thank you for your bloggie love, too.
      P.S. That restaurant game sounds so super-cute. Can I come over and babysit sometime? πŸ˜‰

49. yum that chili looks sooo good! and I loved monopoly as a kid that game was my absolute favorite!

50. Anonymous says:

Love it when non-vegans love vegan food:) Great job on the chili!

Pretty sure it’s not considered a board game, but I love bananagrams. Kind of like scrabble, but much faster paced! Scrabble makes me so antsy.

51. Love it when non-vegans love vegan food:) Great job on the chili!

52. Molly @mollyrunsfresh says:

Hey Katie, I’m gigging you with the Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out here:

53. Heather says:

Oh my gosh, I freaking love Monty Python and the Holy Grail! My ex introduced me to a whole new world of board games so most of the ones I really enjoy no one has ever heard of. My favorite is called Lost Cities. Not a fan of Monopoly…my attention span isn’t long enough!

54. Sarah says:

I WANT that chili bowl! And scrabble is my favorite game, ever!

55. mo says:

Have you heard of monopoly deal? its monopoly as a card game. Its very fun, and it goes a lot faster than the board style.

1. I haven’t! But I love Monopoly, so I’ll definitely look out for it! :)

56. Jana says:

Your doggie is so adorable. I want that one! hehe. We have a Basset and a Boxer mix. I would say in cuteness they are on par with your dandy! Thanks for all you do Katie! Jana in Cal.

57. Shelley says:

They have vegan “cheese” that actually tastes like cheese? That is amazing.