Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

How to feed a Hungry Guy

What is it with guys and Monty Python?

Saturday night, I sat through Monty Python and the Holy Grail with one of my guy friends. Next weekend, methinks I will force him to watch Notting Hill or another such girly movie. It’s payback time!

Actually he already paid me back by letting me cook vegan food for him. Mid-way through the movie, he informed me (in true guy fashion), “I’m hungry. Whatcha got to eat?” I joked back that if he wanted to eat in my house, he’d better like tofu! But, to my surprise, my steak-loving friend responded, “Hey, I’m up for anything. Bring on the tofu!” And so I did.

Well, not exactly. There was no tofu in the meal I prepared for my friend. But there was vegan cheese:

3-Ingredient Chili Bowl

(No, not the unfortunate haircut)

1. Mix the bulgur and chili, then add the cheese to the top and microwave.
2. Stir and serve.

The chili took about a minute to make, not including microwave time. This was good, because I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen for hours on end. Not when we had plans for a Game Night.

So basically, for the chili, I looked around in the fridge and pulled out random leftovers that sounded like they’d go well together. The Daiya had been in my refrigerator for a while because I didn’t like it much when I tried it; it tasted too much like cheese!

My friend thought so, too. After he took a bite of the chili, he actually remarked, “This is really good. But I thought you were making me vegan food. You didn’t have to add cheese.” Haha you should’ve seen the look on his face when I told him the truth ;).

Unfortunately, I can’t show you, due to my policy on posting photos. But I can show you another guy’s face. And this face is priceless. Are ya ready?

After hungry friend finished every last bite of his chili, we left Monty Python paused, and a few other friends joined us for a Scrabble war. (I won. Take that, boys.) Henry wanted to play too, but my friends said no. I think they were secretly afraid of being beaten by a puppy. Is that really worse than being beaten by a girl?

Question of the Day:
What’s your favorite board game?

Although I’m really good at Scrabble and love love love Scattergories, my #1 favorite has to be Monopoly. I’m evil with that game, and I always win… but this means no one wants to play with me anymore lol.

Tags: , , ,

1. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite board games = Monopoly and Life.

2. Albizia says:

It’s so funny how dogs’ eyes always look blue on pictures when one uses a flash. I’d be very happy if it happened to mine, too. It’s much better than red 🙂 .

My favorite game was Monopoly. I bet this will be the most popular answer 😉 .

1. Oh yes, I agree! I hate “red eye” and would much rather have “pet eye” lol.

3. Melissa says:

If you like Scrabble, you may LOVE bananagrams!
    It’s my new favorite thing ever. I love word games (Boggle, Scrabble, etc.) but Scrabble can take too long. I get bored easily like a small child, bananagrams is fast moving and I like that better. 🙂

1. Melissa says:

Oh crap! I just realized there is a digital, free FB version available. O.o
      Oh dude, my productivity just TANKED. 😉

1. Cecilia says:

There’s even an app of it on iTunes! 😉

2. I’ve never seen Bananagrams, but someone else recommended it too as being reeeeaally fun. I am on the hunt!

4. The chili seems like a super quick idea that I’ll have to keep in mind. Maybe I’ll have to add some crispy baked tofu slices if I make it 🙂

As for board games, my all-time favorite is Risk, so long as I can find others who are willing to set aside time to play.

1. I’ve never played Risk! Just googled it, though, and it sounds like fun. I’d totally be willing to set aside time to play with you hehe :).

5. hippierunner says:

Scattegories is my favorite. Scrabble is second on my list. And we just got a new game called Take 5 that’s like a faster version of Scattegories!

1. *Off to googe “Take 5″* Anything that’s like Scattergories sounds good to me!

6. Jennifer JCD says:

Oh, we LOVE board games! Whenever my family gets together we spend hours around the table playing games. Right now our favourites are Quelf (the game of utmost ridiculousness), Settlers of Catan, Othello, and Scattergories.

1. I think you need to invite me to your next family get-together, if for no other reason than to broaden my cultural horizons. I’ve never heard of any of those games! 🙁

7. Jennifer says:

My sister and her friends are obsessed with Monty Python! I assumed that it was a generational thing (I am not all that “into” Monty Python, but I am a few years older than my sister). When, however, I tried to use Monty Python to illustrate a point in one of my lectures to the college sophomores in the Medieval history class I teach, only one had actually seen the movie. Oh well.

1. Wow, that is so strange. Basically every single guy I know has seen the movie!

8. That chili bowl sounds tasty!!!!
    Can’t wait for tomorrow’s post! =D

9. I love yahtzee! Any dice game really. Clue, card games! There was this game me and my sis used to play called Careers. It was so old that the box was falling apart but we loved it and just couldn’t let it go. Well, last year my mom thought it was trash (because it probably looked like trash) so she threw it out! Sister and I were horrified! Oh well…maybe I can find another one online.

I’m excited about tomorrows post!

1. My mom was talking about that game too! It was her favorite, and she actually found one online! Ebay, I think! 🙂

10. I am not a huge fan of board games! And I love Monty Python. And I think it’s funny that you don’t like the Daiya because it tastes like cheese, because that is the reason I’m super in love with it! 🙂

1. Hahaha it’s just too creepy for me. I dunno, I used to be addicted to cheese, but after not having it in so long, I felt SO weird eating the Daiya. lol

11. I totally love Monopoly as well. I guess because I am into real estate in real life, haha. But really I get super competitive in that game.

12. Bulgur in chili is one of my favorite things! Yum.

I am not a fan of board games.

13. Haha go girl! 😀
    Come on, it’s Pictionary all the way!! Although Cluedo and Scattergries are close seconds! 🙂

1. abby says:

i love pictionary, but no one likes playing with me because they can never guess what i draw. it’s not my best talent haha.

14. Rach says:

Haha! So I definitely thought Amy was a friend of yours and you were using her recipe and I was like “Oh my word, I need to try out this chili recipe that only takes a minute to make!” hehe! Then I checked out your link and realized what was goin’ on. Ah, oh well…

How do you like the Daiya vegan cheese? I tried Natural Gourmet and liked it a lot more than I expected to, but I haven’t tried any other brands.

1. The Daiya had been in my refrigerator for a while because I didn’t like it much when I tried it; I thought it tasted too much like cheese! But my friend loved it.
      He said: “This is delicious. But I thought you were making me vegan food. You didn’t have to add cheese.”

1. Rach says:

Oooh perfect! I definitely need to try this one out next! Thanks! 🙂

15. Lorin says:

I’m a girl and Monty Python is one of my favorite movies. Sounds like you had fun though! Happy Monday.

1. abby says:

me too! i love that movie!

16. I love Monty Python! Best quotable movie ever! But I’m more like a dude, so…..anyway, I’d totally come over and watch dude movies if you’d feed me that chili too. Love Daiya! But just found out our Whole Foods is going to stop carrying it because there isn’t enough demand. That is so not cool.

1. abby says:

ok so this is a strange question, but i saw you said you’re more like a dude, so i’m hoping: am i the only one who likes harold and kumar goes to white castles? it’s my favorite movie, but all my friends say only guys can like that movie! soooo not true! 😉

17. Candy Land is my favorite! Excited for your post tomorrow 🙂

18. Most guys I know love that movie too! My favorite game is probably Scattergories 🙂

19. Susan says:

I love cooking vegetarian for meat eaters! It kind of feels like showing off. It’s like saying “hey, no meat is JUST as delicious!”.

Board games are the best I love Cranium!

1. abby says:

i’m so glad katie asked this question, because i was reading the responses and you reminded me that i NEED to get out my cranium game. i do not know where it went, but i went through a phase where i played every single day :).

20. Sarah C. says:

You and Henry are so cute :). I definitely woulda let him join the game :).