Raw Coconut Kale Enchiladas

I finally did it! Finally got to try these:

blissench

Coconut Kale Enchiladas from Bliss Raw Cafe.

blissen2

Menu description:

Marinated kale with nacho cheeze, pico de gallo, salsa verde,
and cashew sour creme wrapped in coconut tortillas

It’s the coconut tortillas that really got me. Somehow, they were soft and crispy at the same time. And their sweetness made a perfect foil for the acerbic kale.

This was actually my first time ever trying enchiladas– raw or cooked, vegan or non. Somehow, even though I’ve lived in Texas for years, I’d never had them before. If other enchiladas are as good as these, I’ve been missing out! But then again, other enchiladas don’t have coconut and kale… so they couldn’t possibly be as good as these!

Other things I’ve ordered at Bliss:

raw lasagna

Raw Lasagna

Loved loved loved this! The basil pesto was especially yumlicious.

BlissPrimaveraBowl

Primavera Noodle Bowl

Not so big on this one. But really, you can’t expect to love every item on a restaurant’s menu.

On this trip, I brought along the Bamboo Utensil Set I received as a Christmas present. My friend asked, “Aren’t you ever worried people will think you’re weird for bringing your own utensils to a restaurant?”

bamboo chopsticks

Well, first of all: No, I don’t care. If people want to think I’m weird, that’s their loss. My grandma always said, “If they’re laughing at me, at least they’re laughing!”

Second of all: It was a raw restaurant, for goodness sake! The guy serving us had about ten tattoos on his arms, and a lady across from me had hot-pink hair. Not exactly the kinds of people who judge you for going against mainstream society.

Tags: ,

1. These look yumlicious! I love how creative raw food gets:)

Slash it’s TOTALLY fine, I bring my own chopsticks to Asian restaurants!

Nut butter recipe, please! I’ve been absolutely craving my nut butters lately, and I may have snuck a few spoonfuls straight from the jar;)

2. VeggieGirl says:

I hope for a product review tomorrow! And then the recipe 😉

3. Haley says:

New nutbutter!! =)

4. Lisa C. says:

Nut butter recipe? I’m intrigued. I vote for that :). And you’re adorable with those chopsticks!

1. Valerie says:

Ditto this. You’re adorable to the extreme! 🙂

5. Valerie says:

I vote for the new nut butter recipe. And then I vote for you figuring out how to recreate those enchiladas so the rest of us can partake in their yumminess ;).

6. Stephanie says:

Raw food can be so gorgeous! I would love to try those enchiladas!

7. lol one of the raw foodies here that is the organizers of local raw potlucks and such is a lady with rainbow hair who wears fairy wings around town, haha i love the eccentricity of some people <3

dang the enchiladas are insane! i bet that was really filling! im always amazed with the presentation of most raw dishes, its always plated so delicately with all the right pops of color!!

1. I know, right?! Eccentric people are waaaay more interesting. Without them, this world would be uber-boring!

8. Emily K. says:

Those look so freaking tasty! I’m not a raw foodist, but if I had access to such things, I might convert!

9. Inspired says:

Wow, I want one… or two… or ten! And I’m voting for the nut butter recipe basically because your Hot Chocolate Butter is one of my all-time FAVORITE blogger recipes to date! 🙂

1. Inspired says:

Oh, and I love the banana butter too!

10. Amen Sista!! Good for you for not caring 🙂

Also, saw you mentioned chopsticks up above in someone’s else’s comment and that caused a lightbulb to go off in my head…

Ya know how you said you maybe were thnking of doing a Vlog?(at least I think you said that at one point…) well, you could do a Vlog tutorial on how to use CHOPSTICKS!!!! I am always at such a loss, and end up with food on my lap.

1. Valerie says:

Oh I love this idea! I second it :). I’m lousy with chopsticks!
      But I’d be excited for ANY vlog topic you’d do.

11. Camille says:

Oh my gosh, that looks incredible! I want to find a way to duplicate that at home!

1. If you do, you’d better share!! 😉

12. eatandrun says:

Yum, those look amazing!

13. Melissa says:

I had these mango coconut samosas at a raw food place in Jacksonville, FL and they were SO GOOD. The wraps seem similar to the ones on your enchiladas. Mine were sort of chewy and sticky and sweet. Like fruit rollups, almost, but amazing! And the filling was curried carrots and peas and that sounds like it’d be gross with sweet fruit rollupish samosa “shells” but it WASN’T, it was EPIC. So so good.

And they made a pumpkin pie that was carrots(!) and no pumpkin at all but it was so amazing that I honestly had three ummmm reactions with each bite. First yum as it hit my tongue, then mmmmm as it really started to sink in and then YUMMMMMMMmmm when the full pie spice and creaminess hit me. I literally stopped after each bite and shut my eyes in happiness. So amazing.

1. Yes, like fruit roll ups!! I really wish I knew how they did it!

1. Melissa says:

I found this recipe for mango coconut wraps that sound really similar to the ones I had. http://organizehappy.com/recipes/mango-wraps/

I’m itching to try making my own.

Honestly, that little cheapy dehydrator I got years ago (just a Nesco American Harvest, not a fancy Excalibur) was such a great purchase! I’ve been making kale chips like a mad women and it’s so easy to make fruit rollups and dried fruit, too.

1. Lori says:

I had an American Harvest dehydrator for years on end!! Fruit roll ups were easy… I made them for my daughter all the time. Our favorite thing that was being made non-stop (besides jerky) was cinnamon sugar dried apple rings. They were to die for. I wouldn’t even want to BEGIN to speculate how many bags and bags of apples we went through making those over the years.

14. That sounds sooo good!!!!!!!!
    I vote for the nut butter recipe! =D

15. Nut Butter Recipe!!! And those enchiladas look amazing!

16. M says:

New nut butter recipe!

17. Sarah says:

I want to know what nut butter recipe you’ve made this time. I still have to make the gingerbread butter :). Happy week, Katie!

18. Leslie says:

I’ll say product reviews, just to be different 😉

19. Kiki says:

I love raw/vegan restaurants! Glad you enjoyed your meal… those tortillas are certainly intriguing 🙂

And I’ll go with product reviews.

20. Wow! That looks great! Wish I could find a raw restaurant out here. 🙁