Up to my Old Banana Tricks

Yay, y’all share my sweet potato love!

And my excitement about the Coconut Banana Butter.

Yesterday, I ate another sweet p with the luscious spread. But this time, upon my discovery that you can melt the banana a bit (pre-blending) things skyrocketed to a whole new level of deliciousness!

znyc 212

You know how much I *heart* the Melted Banana Trick.

(For the record, the “melted banana” in the photo went into oatmeal. I didn’t melt the banana quite so much for yesterday’s coconut spread; just enough to bring out the caramelized taste.)

In other coconut news: I snagged a Chocolate-dipped-Coconut Luna Bar to try out. Normally, Luna Bars aren’t my favorite, but I was curious. How can you go wrong with chocolate and coconut?

As it turns out, you can’t. I think this is one of Luna’s best flavors to-date (their only other flavor on which I’m keen is the Nutz-over-Chocolate).

chocolate coconut luna bar

Not as good as my homemade Coconut Bars.

But pretty darn good for a packaged product. I’ll probably buy another one, just to throw into my purse for an emergency snack. Once every few months, I’ll get an unexpected Luna-Bar craving out of nowhere. Weird.

NYC2010 1101

I’ll leave you with something that has nothing to do with either chocolate or coconut: Henry, a.k.a. the laziest doggie in the world. He must get like 23 hours of sleep every day! (And in that other hour, he’s either mooching for food or rolled over on his belly, hoping someone will pet him.).

Do you like Naps?
And how much sleep do you normally get?

Am I the only one who hates naps?? I’ve hated naptime since preschool. (Wait, does anyone like naptime in preschool?) Even power naps just make me more tired upon waking up.

As for sleep, I usually get 7-ish hours. But every now and then, I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back to sleep. It’s so frustrating to just lay there, staring at the wall! But sometimes, I get the most-creative ideas during those times. For example, the other night I came up with a recipe for fudge.

Here’s a sneak peak:  Healthy Vegan Fudge.

Tags: ,

1. Meg says:

That new Luna looks SO GOOD I’m sad I can’t try it! Boooo gluten…will you enjoy an extra one for me? 😉

I can’t wait for FUDGE 😀

1. I guess, since there are two of you, I’ll have to enjoy an extra TWO. Ay, what I go through for my friends… ;).

1. Sabine @ thefruitpursuit says:

sorry if this is a dumb question 🙂 but wheres the gluten in these bars? I thought it was dates, nuts, coconut butter, etc?

1. Hey Sabine,
            Luna Bar lists all their nutrition/ingredient info on their website: lunabar.com

2. Meg says:

Lots of issues with cross-contamination as well 🙂 Although there may not be wheat or gluten in the actual Luna ingredients, they’re processed on the same equipment. Tricky tricky 😉

2. omg omg omg CHOCOLATE DIPPED COCONUT?! Just when i think Luna Bar cannot come out with better flavors (Chocolate Peppermint Stick, anyone?) they go ahead and do it. I need to find this flavor stat!!

1. Melissa says:

🙂
      My favorite before this one was Pmint stick, too!
      I LOVE the new coconut one! So good. 😀

3. ahhahhha thats hilarious you mention that because i literally JUST woke up from a nap and went straight to my inbox to click on this post.. so to answer your question- i do nap.! and i LIKE EM!

1. abby says:

haha me too! me too! but i just woke up for the first time today, so no time for a nap yet!

2. Sabine @ thefruitpursuit says:

bahahah I just woke up from a nap too (I think my phone made a sound when I got a mail about katies update :p) but its because I’m sick! again!

4. Kelly says:

I’m loving Luna’s Chocolate Coconut Flavor – I’d say it’s my favorite and I hope they keep it around. Tried the new Chocolate Chunk and was not as impressed.

I can’t take naps – once I’m up, I’m nonstop all day. I find that a tall glass of water and a piece of chocolate or handful of nuts will usually give me a boost of energy.

1. Chocolate’s the answer to everything! 🙂

5. abby says:

you are SO stinkin pretty! it’s not fair.

love you! and love your melted banana trick too :).

6. Oh I want to find one of those Luna Bars! 🙂

7. If I nap, I can’t sleep at night!!!!
    I love the Nutz over chocolate Luna Bars as well, and I wish that I could try the coconut chocolate ones! I’ll make your version very soon…..now I’m craving the coconut chocolate combo!

8. Leslie says:

I love naps! But only when they’re power naps. Too long and I think I’ve been asleep all night and it should be the next day!
    Trying your coconut banana butter today! 🙂

9. Gloria says:

I used to loooove napping and would nap almost every day in high school and college. But then I would stay up til 2 or 3am every night. It was a nasty cycle. Now that I have a big girl job, own house, etc. etc, I don’t have the time to nap. And ever since going vegan after college, I haven’t even needed naps. I even hate sleeping in past sunrise! But I still absolutely love the occasional Sunday afternoon rainy-day snooze on the couch 🙂

1. Big girl job. hehe reminds me of when people say, “Put on your big girl panties.” Or maybe I’m the only one who says that? lol

10. Julia says:

I HATE naps! I always feel horrible after I take one. I don’t get much sleep at night (prob abt 5 hours if I’m lucky).

Everytime I go grocery shopping, I try out a different Luna Bar. I have yet to find one that I really like. 🙁 Oh well…I’ll just have to keep making my own. 🙂

1. Amanda says:

I don’t get more than 5 hours a night either. Do you feel energized even after getting just 5 hours? People think I’m strange, but I just don’t seem to need any more. I feel fine during the day.

11. Stephanie says:

I hate planning naps but I love when a glorious nap finds its way into my life!

12. As luxurious as a nap always sounds, I CAN’T take them. Unless I’m really sick or something, I cannot sleep during the day, regardless of how tired I am! So annoying! Oh well 🙂

That luna bar looks good!

1. Ack! That’s exactly how I feel! Naps sound so fun and relaxing… but somehow, for me, they just aren’t.

13. Valerie says:

This post title is adorable. Always stay up to your old tricks, miss Katie :). And post that fudge recipe ASAP!

14. Kathleen says:

I usually get about 6-7 hours, but sometimes I get 8 hours. I only take naps when I need them, like if I haven’t had much sleep the past few nights, etc. I really need to work on getting to bed earlier.

15. I love naps, and I miss having the opportunity to take them now that I’m so busy with school. I love laying down in the middle of the day with my cuddle pups for a few minutes of quiet and rest!

16. I really like naps — but only if I actually need them. I try to get 8 hours of sleep, but it’s usually more like 6 or 7.

17. I personally love naps! I just wish I had time to take them! I cant remember that last time I took a nap (it was probabyl during my college years when I would nap each afternoon for like 2-3 hours!) … but I am a girl who loves sleep. Getting 8 hours a night is a MUST for me!

I love Luna’s Nutz over Chocolate!

1. Emily K. says:

I was like that in college too! Maybe because I stayed up all night partying. Erm, I mean studying 😕

18. Emily K. says:

I’m a nap kinda gal! By the way, that photo of you is really pretty :). And the gorgeous Luna Bar just makes it even prettier! Hopefully my Whole Foods will start carrying those soon!

19. Disturbed says:

I am insomniac, so on my *best* nights I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep. Usually interrupted by nightmares and such. So, naps are also out for me as it takes to long and too much medication to get me to sleep for naps to be worth it.
    O how I wish I could nap though.

20. I love naps – anywhere in between 2 and 4 p.m., I crash a little and all I want to do is close my eyes. Unfortunately, we don’t do nap time in the 5th grade (I’m a teacher).

1. Naptime is definitely wasted on the wrong aged kids!