Post-Workout Foods

America can learn a lot from my dog.

He loves to exercise, and his favorite foods are carrots and kale stems.
(Of course, my dog also eats dried worms and barks when nobody’s there… so maybe he’s not quite as smart as he seems.)

Do you exercise with your pet?

Although Molly enjoys her daily walks, she’s much too slow (and old) to run. But Henry lives to run! Sometimes, especially on my rest days, I’ll take him out for a short jog (20-30ish minutes?). Yesterday, we went out for an evening jaunt, after which we both refueled. My post-run meal:

ginger curry

Peach-Ginger Curry

I added water chestnuts this time, as well as extra fresh ginger. I *heart* fresh ginger!! The fun background is actually courtesy of a piece of scrapbook paper. Luckily, the one shot came out well; I was too hungry to mess around with taking tons of photos! With my curry, I tried a new product:

DSC_0162

Because I find Ezekiel bread to be on the dry side, I figured their English Muffins would be no different. Therefore, I’ve avoided purchasing these in the past. But the store was out of Rudi’s, and I really wanted an emuff. Twas fate!

These muffins are the antithesis of dry! I didn’t even use the Soggy Muffin Trick! As it turns out, I like ‘em even better than Rudi’s.

Normally, my post-workout cravings are for sweet, breakfast-y foods, such as oatmeal, pancakes, or chocolate.  (Wait, chocolate’s a breakfast food? Um yes; yes of course.) But that’s probably because I usually run in the mornings. Yesterday, I was craving dinner. So the curry and squishy, soft muffin were perfect.  Henry gnawed on something a little more… tough:

DSC_0167

Yum yum yummy. Great for re-fueling from vigorous running barking at mailmen. (Poor mailmen.) His look says, “Don’t you dare steal my rawhide.” No worries, Henry-man. It’s all yours!

Question of the Day:
What are your favorite post-workout things to eat?

Lately, I’ve been eating a lot of Blueberry Muffin Bowls.
Regardless of the time, I always crave carbs, post-workout. Hopefully I’ll never crave rawhides!

Tags:

1. DEFS lovin some post fuel curry.. curry in a hurry!
    my fav post workout treats are fruits, green monsters…. ANd larabars… things with carbs to replenish my glycogen levels. :O
    i would say oats.. but i eat those BEFORE i workout 😉

1. abby says:

i love oats! but i can’t eat them before a workout because i feel bloated. how do you avoid that?

1. oh really? I eat them like 2 hours before a workout and I’m fine! definitely give them time to settle and then you gots LOADS of energy!

2. Tricia says:

Lol, i need protein and fat after my workout so i go for nuts or lunabars. Nothing to filling, cuz i’m never really hungry after i run.

3. Lauren W says:

Hi Katie! Didn’t the giveways end yesterday? What happened? Or am I imagining things? 🙂 Thanks!

1. Hey Lauren!
      Yup, they did :). I haven’t gotten around to choosing the winners yet, or writing up the posts about it. But I promise they’ll be up sometime this week!

4. I have to disagree with you there- rawhide treats are my all time favourite post-workout snack! Henry has good taste! 😛

Recently, I’ve been LOVING your mad scrambled tofu on toast as a post-workout snack/meal! I had it for the first time yesterday and I’m in LOVE (with both you and the scrambled tofu!) 😀

1. Hahaha forget what I said on your blog today, about feeding you fudge babies. If you come here, I’ll just give you rawhides… and keep all the chocolate for myself ;).

5. Lately all I crave post workout is one of my Cookie Dough Bowls!! I can’t get enough of them, it is like crack on a spoon.

This curry sounds so yummy! I can’t wait to try it, slash I will be adding LOTS of garam masala, I have been craving Indian food lately:)

1. abby says:

mmmmm me too on the cookie dough oats! katie’s cookie dough oatmeal recipe changed my world!!! 🙂

6. I wish I could run with my dog, but she’s way to stubborn to go where I tell her to go. She’s such a spoiled dog! 😉

7. I always crave sweets, especially post workout!

8. Anonymous says:

That photo is beautiful! Do you have a lightbox, by any chance? I keep seeing them around the blogworld.

1. I don’t! I’d love to make one… if I ever get a free chance :).

9. eatandrun says:

awww Henry is so cute! 🙂

10. abby says:

oatmeal. oatmeal. and more oatmeal :). as i wrote above, i love your cookie dough oatmeal especially. but any oatmeal, really :).

11. Molly says:

Umm post workout I crave absolutely random things. Usually frozen bananas or a fresh salad. Maybe it is my bodies way of replenishing list fluids? Haha

12. Gen says:

I usually crave carbs in a major way, but not until a couple of hours after my workout. Oh and salt. lots of bread with salt on it. and chocolate, but I crave that all of the time anyway! =P

1. Mmmmmm salt. LOL I love salt. Maybe it’s also because I don’t eat a lot of processed foods, so my body likes a lot of the real stuff? 🙂

13. Picky Nicky says:

After a run I absolutely love having an apple (which I slice and freeze for a few minutes) dipped in thinned out peanut butter with some mixed spice. It’s so good and always hits the spot 🙂

14. Emma says:

I don’t work out… I normally just go for long walks but haven’t been able to because it is just to cold! When I do exercise I just like something light, like and apple or salad.

1. Hey, walking totally counts as a workout! And blech, I don’t like being outside in the cold either :(.

15. Heather says:

I like a smoothie, a banana muffin or both!

16. ive been LOVING ginger this season.. but the addition of peach?! so interesting, i’ll have to try it sometime soon.

post workout i love carbs! usually something a little sweet and salty like kettle/popcorn.. although recently i’ve been turning to apples!

17. Elizabeth says:

I usually DON’T crave sweet foods after working out! In fact, it’s probably the only time I don’t crave them!

18. Happy looooves carrots! I haven’t tried out kale on her, though… but it’s so funny b.c. everyone says “yep, she’s def. your dog if she loves carrots!”

Just curiuos, how far our your typical runs? Happy is only 7 months old, but I’ve taken her out on a run before and she LOVES loves LOVES it! She will definitely be a good runner, I think, when she’s old enough.

Post run I usually go for combo of carbs/protien. Like piece of bread with peanutbutter….apple with peanutbutter… but I also can stomach this before a run, too. I think i just like the combo a lot… so I eat it alot! I really like PB 🙂

Oh! I know your an animal lover, so I wanted to let you know I did a super cute post about “how to make a Christmas ornament with your puppy” today on my blog, you should check it out if you have time!

1. Hmmm, I never measure. We just run til Henry gets tired, so usually around a 1/2 hour. It’s either my second run of the day or a rest day for me, so I don’t go for speed or distance or anything.
      And thanks for the heads-up! I’ll definitely check out your ornament post! 🙂
      Yeah, normal ginger in the supermarket veggie aisle. I try to get a uniform-looking piece so it’s easier to peel!

19. Oh and I meant to ask you, where do you buy your fresh ginger?! Just the normal supermarket? I LOOOVE ginger!

20. Susan says:

I love those english muffins! You’re right, not dry at all! I’ve actually found one specific loaf of ezekiel bread that I like. It’s the orange one, but I don’t know the name. All the other ones are too dry for me.

Molly is a flippin’ cutie!