Magic Breakfast Pudding

I’m loving the beautiful weather. It’s weird to think last week was –4 and today will reach over 80 degrees. Warm weather does not mean I give up my beloved breakfast grain bowls; I just eat them cold! (Actually, I eat cold oatmeal in winter too. I’m strange like that.)

bulgur2

Today’s brekkie was a twist on my Blueberry Muffin in a Bowl.

And I ate it outside, in the sunshine!!

bulgur3

(Yes, I had other foods to go with my bulgur. And no, the fabric flower was not one of them.)

Magic Breakfast Pudding

(serves 1)

• 1/3 cup dry bulgur (40g) (I use light, as opposed to dark) (You can also make this pudding with oats.)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup water (240-260g) (Or more, if using oats)
  • 2 tbsp (or more, if desired) nondairy creamer (I use Silk)
  • toppings of choice (today I went with cacao nibs)
  • optional sweetener (When I make this for others, I use 1 pack stevia or 1T sugar)
  • 3 drops coconut extract… a.k.a. magic drops (with oats, I use 6 drops)

Cook your bulgur, with the salt, in the water. (I like to cook mine the day before, so breakfast comes together much more quickly.)

Here’s a good tutorial: How to Cook Bulgur.

Right before eating, add remaining ingredients and stir. I like to pulse mine in the magic bullet a few times. You could also use a blender or hand blender… or omit the blending entirely!)

bulgur

Question of the Day:

What’d you have for breakfast today?

Yummy thought of the day: Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Dip

Tags: , ,

1. Albizia says:

I had almost frozen overnight oats and I don’t care about the snow outside 🙂 .

By the way, your hair is gorgeous. With or without freshly cut ends.

1. Awww I *heart* you! And lol tell this to my mom. She bugs me every day about my ends… but she has a point. It’s been way too long since my last haircut. I just never find time!

1. Yvette says:

Hi
        Can you tell me if you can sprinkle bulgur wheat on cold cereal or does it have
        to be cooked? Thank you.

Yvette

2. Tricia says:

Lol cereal. With peanut butter and banana 😛

3. Courtney says:

I had Kashi Go-Lean cereal with bananas, raisins, and pecan pieces, mixed with greek yogurt. My sister waled by and of course looked disgusted and said, “Ew, you don’t put milk on your cereal?” I would just like to point out that she doesn’t have the best taste herself; her go-to breakfast is plain Cheerios and milk. Yawn.

1. Haha you’re right; yours sounds way more fun!!

4. Stefanie says:

Oatmeal cooked with apple sauce, almond milk and an apple. The warmer weather is a nice change of pace.

5. I had a cereal combo! Oatmeal Squares and Special K topped with half a banana. It was lovely 🙂 I love your blog, lady!

6. Cat says:

Don’t laugh… I had butternut squash fries and pita with earth balance. Not quite brekkie, but who cares!

1. I’d never laugh at butternut squash for brekkie! A few days ago, I had kabocha in mine :). So it sounds like a good idea to me!

7. Coconut extract is so amazing.. it adds so much flavor to things..

8. Gen says:

I had oatmeal that I made last night and left in the fridge overnight. This morning I mixed in honey, milk and some instant coffee. Sooo amazing!!!!! =D

1. Leslie says:

Love instant coffee in oats! Best ever!

1. Never tried that – but I might have to, thanks!

9. Miriam says:

Great breakfast idea! I have been wanting to try bulgur but couldn’t find ways to get it into my diet. This is interesting. I just found your blog and noticed the stuff about weight/diet. I can totally relate as a runner and always being called too skinny etc when I was younger. It made me feel really bad! Today, as a vegetarian, people love to comment about how I need to get some meat on my bones.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am going to become a regular reader of your blog and love the vegan ideas, I’m trying to cut dairy out of my diet!

1. Ugh, I’m sending you hugs, because I know it’s no fun hearing “just eat a steak!” all the time lol. And I’m so glad to “meet” you :).

1. When I did my vegan week for work, all everyone kept saying was “you’re thin enough already” with really disapproving looks; weird how everyone assumes isn’t it?!
        They changed their tunes when I took vegan chocolate cakes in on the Friday though 🙂
        Sorry for hijacking other people’s comments Katie!

1. Oh my gosh, no don’t be sorry!!! One of my absolute FAVORITE things about my readers is that y’all are starting to comment not just to me, but to each other as well. It’s fantastic! 🙂

10. Gina says:

So jealous of your weather! It’s snowing my way, which hindered my outdoor running plans!

& girl, you are crazy! Your hair is gorgeous 🙂

1. You are my new best friend ;).

11. Sarah says:

I really enjoy reading about your breakfast ideas. I had my current usual this morning: a whole wheat bagel, toasted and spread with a wedge of garlic herb laughing cow, 2 eggs, and a side of pumpkin puree. Plus a cup of coffee.

12. Jennifer JCD says:

Looks yummy! My post-workout (because it’s a holiday and I didn’t want to run in the cold) breakfast this morning was a sliced frozen banana, some frozen blueberries, and a sprinkle of Kamut flakes topped with some soy milk. Frozen fruit + unsweetened soy milk is one of my favourite breakfasts, even in winter. Weird, I know. 😉

1. We can be weird together; you with your frozen fruit, and me with my cold oats ;).

2. Jules says:

Mmmm- frozen bananas are sooo good! I’ve never tried frozen blueberries, but frozen blackberries are pretty yummy, so I might have to try blueberries soon. 🙂

13. I had a protein shake: almond milk, protein powder, scoop of PB, chia seeds, 1/2 banana and ice!

I wish my hair would grow nice and long like yours — I have to keep mine shoulder length or so or it looks very thin and scraggly 🙁

1. lol I feel like mine looks scraggly! But maybe that’s because I compare it to my sister who has three times the amount of hair of anyone else I know! (Of course, it comes at a price: it takes her 40 minutes to blow it dry!)

1. I have always wanted super thick long hair — I think the one way that will ever happen is if I get a wig!

1. Ok, honestly? I’ve thought about it… I even got that Paris Hilton bandit thing. Word of advice: don’t get it! lol it looks so bad!

14. Alyssa says:

I had banana and cocoa almond pancakes… I actually wasnt a fan though! So i also had half of a bagel with some better n peanut butter!

15. Kathleen says:

This morning I had my favorite! Spiced Apple Pie Oats! 😀 I need to give bulgar a try! It sounds delicious!

16. Leslie says:

I kept it simple this am: cereal and soymilk. With a few banana slices :).

17. devdev says:

i have never had bulger for breakfast!
    that looks so good!! i need to try that! nom

18. I had a big bowl of protein oats after a good workout. Always hits the spot!

Also, glad to hear no one was negative about your post although BP conditions and what not are definitely not something to poke judgement at. Guess you never know, though..

1. Oh lol you don’t know the crazy anons I sometimes get! They find things in the most benign posts… like my red velvet pancake post! It’s funny, actually!

19. Cinnamon apple oats! I love them!

20. The coconut extract sounds ah-mazing!
    I had a microwave bean brownie and mocha yogurt for breakfast. I topped my brownie with banana “butter” inspired by your recipe!