Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Peanut Butter Frosting

Smooth or Crunchy?

More of y’all like crunchy peanut butter than smooth, according to a poll on Twitter. I always figured it’d be the other way around!

Banana Bread for One

I created the above frosting for a friend, as a challenge. This friend has a serious frosting addiction. In fact, freshman year of college, she taught me to eat Pillsbury straight from the container. With a spoon. Like ice cream!

“Please,” she begged me, “Please make me a frosting recipe without all those scary ingredients!” (Partially hydrogenated oils are ingredient #2 in the aforementioned Pillsbury, much to my friend’s chagrin). “And please make it so a serving is more than a teaspoon!”

Peanut Butter Frosting

(Makes about 2/3 cup)

• 1/3 cup silken-firm tofu (70g)
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter or allergy-friendly alternative
  • scant 1/16th tsp salt
  • scant 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar

Blend everything together. This frosting is thicker when cold. And I won’t judge you if—like my friend—you opt to eat the whole thing in one sitting. But please, take it out of the blender first!

Add vanilla to the following for: Soy-Free Version.

Lower Fat?

Honestly, as a cupcake topper, I prefer my Coconut Banana Butter.

So if you don’t mind a little extra fat, I highly recommend treating your tastebuds to the coconut banana butter. However, my friend is afraid of fat grams. Oddly enough, she’s more afraid of a higher fat content than she is of the artificial Pillsbury icing (which has 4g per serving).

Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting: You can omit the peanut butter in this icing recipe, for a vanilla frosting (or add cocoa powder for chocolate frosting) that is virtually fat-free. But, as I wrote a few days ago, a little fat in one’s life is a good thing!

Oh, and she loved the frosting.

She ate it all… and the adorable Banana Bread for One.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer JCD says:

I prefer smooth for some things and cruchy for others, but I love them both.

Does this frosting recipe use silken tofu or regular pressed tofu? I’m guessing silken, but if you could clarify I’m sure some people not familiar with tofu would appreciate it. 😉

1. I think either would work? I’m not sure… because what I use is silken, but it’s firm-silken. I think as long as you’re blending it, you’ll be ok with either, but I really don’t know! 😕

2. GabyE says:

I’m a creamy pb girl, same with all my nut butters. And I blend my nut butters soooo much, I like them super silky.

3. Mari says:

I prefer the smooth I must say… So much easier to blend it in with other flavours, like this one! Looks uber yummy, I really need to get a food processor or blender…

Although there are times when only crunchy will do, ah decisions, still if I had to chose smooth!

4. VeggieGirl says:

Crunchy for me! 🙂

5. YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM ! you know i LIKE ANYTHING do with the words peanut… and not really butter.. but butter following a nut is where it’s at
    NO WAY CREAMY IS BETTER! why are people so ignorant when it comes to pb!

1. oh Carrie, how do your comments always crack me up?

6. Miriam says:

crunchy!!! although I see how creamy could be more useful for cooking, it hasn’t convinced me to purchase it yet.

7. Kelly says:

I’ve never thought about making icing with tofu before. Do you think firm is necessary for the texture or would silken work too?

1. I use silken-firm, but I think soft-silken would be fine too! 🙂
      (But admittedly, I don’t think I’ve ever used soft-silken tofu!)

8. Kathleen says:

I love that you used tofu!!! I am totally bookmarking/favoriting this page!!! It sounds DIVINE! 😀

9. I love PB frosting! Sometimes I think your motto should be ‘runs on tofu’ 🙂

10. This looks delicious Katie!

I prefer smooth PB!

11. Marina says:

Omg, this looks heavenly!
    I prefer smooth nut butters, but sometimes, the crunchy is also amazing 🙂

12. Gen says:

Crunchy pb!!!!
    That frosting looks amazing!!!! =D

13. OMG I want to eat that with a spoon!!!!!!!

14. Well, I like both, but prefer smooth. I just had the conversation with my husband this morning about higher fat, but better for you. I think our generation suffers from food allergies and intolerances because our parents gave us the low fat chemical versions of foods when we were younger. Not that it is their fault, it is what they were being taught was better, but really…the real food is so much better for you. The frosting looks delicious!

1. I agree with you! I have a second cousin who grew up when it was popular to give infants skim milk, and he never developed fat receptor cells and has had a lot of problems because of it, even still (He’s in his thirties). :(.

15. Katie you seriously are the best! Can you write a cookbook please?

16. Brandi says:

Crunchy PB by far! I just love the chunks of peanuts! I’m not really picky though I’ll eat either of them. MMMMMM, peeeeeanut butteeeeerrr!

17. Tofu frosting! I love this idea!

18. Änne says:

this looks so tasty 😀 I also prefer creamy PB…
    btw: yesterday I tried your selfmade coconut butter recipe as it doesn´t seem to exist here in Germany…guess what: I melted my blender! Now the halfway finished butter is in my fridge until I get a new one…maybe this would be a good occasion to even get a food processor which is more powerful…

1. Oh no! I feel so awful 🙁 :(. I am so sorry. I never even imagined that could happen… I hope it tasted good at least! I feel really badly :(.

1. Änne says:

ooooh no, you don´t have to feel bad! Actually I laughed about it the entire evening…never saw a blender melting away (maybe he just liked the butter as much as I did^^)
        It was a cheap one I bought 5 years ago when I moved into my first student´s appartment and I never dreamed of processing an amount of food like I do since I´m vegan… so I have the perfect excuse to buy a new and better one …and even if the butter is only halfay done, it tastes fantastic, so I guess there´s no better “dead” for a blender when making coconut butter 😀

1. Damjana says:

My blender is not a powerful one, only 220W, and luckily it stops working when it’s too hot. So it usually takes 3-4 breaks till I whip the whole batch. Poor your guy, it’ll be replaced by a more powerful fellow 😉

1. Änne says:

just bought a Bosch food processor on ebay (bargain!!!)…800W should definitely make it 😀 can´t wait until its delivered…I´m looking like a cheshire cat^^

19. Melissa says:

We’ve got a grind your own nut butter thingie at work (Whole Foods) and that’s the only almond butter I like… it’s got some crunchy little almond bits in it still! Smooth peanut butter just makes me feel like a dog someone played a trick on… (stuck to the roof of my mouth). I’ll eat it in a pinch, though. And I DO like PB2 which is definitely not crunchy… but the defatted nature means it’s not sticky, either.

I LOVE coconut butter. I actually like that best when it’s really runny and smooth. I’ll eat it when it’s firmer but I like that more creamy and warm.

I have a very sick rat at home right now and she gives your banana butter an A+. She enthusiastically ate some this morning, when most food isn’t really making her take much notice. :/ Avocado was just “good” today instead of “OMFG gimme or I’ll lick your fingers off”. So upset/worried. I’m glad she has some food she likes, though, so thanks for posting that recipe. Prairie appreciates it.