Peanut Butter Frosting

Smooth or Crunchy?

More of y’all like crunchy peanut butter than smooth, according to a poll on Twitter. I always figured it’d be the other way around!

pb

Banana Bread for One

I created the above frosting for a friend, as a challenge. This friend has a serious frosting addiction. In fact, freshman year of college, she taught me to eat Pillsbury straight from the container. With a spoon. Like ice cream!

“Please,” she begged me, “Please make me a frosting recipe without all those scary ingredients!” (Partially hydrogenated oils are ingredient #2 in the aforementioned Pillsbury, much to my friend’s chagrin). “And please make it so a serving is more than a teaspoon!”

frost

Peanut Butter Frosting

(Makes about 2/3 cup)

• 1/3 cup silken-firm tofu (70g)
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter or allergy-friendly alternative
  • scant 1/16th tsp salt
  • scant 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar

Blend everything together. This frosting is thicker when cold. And I won’t judge you if—like my friend—you opt to eat the whole thing in one sitting. But please, take it out of the blender first!

Add vanilla to the following for: Soy-Free Version.

frosting

Lower Fat?

Honestly, as a cupcake topper, I prefer my Coconut Banana Butter.

So if you don’t mind a little extra fat, I highly recommend treating your tastebuds to the coconut banana butter. However, my friend is afraid of fat grams. Oddly enough, she’s more afraid of a higher fat content than she is of the artificial Pillsbury icing (which has 4g per serving).

Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting: You can omit the peanut butter in this icing recipe, for a vanilla frosting (or add cocoa powder for chocolate frosting) that is virtually fat-free. But, as I wrote a few days ago, a little fat in one’s life is a good thing!

fg

Oh, and she loved the frosting.

She ate it all… and the adorable Banana Bread for One.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer JCD says:

I prefer smooth for some things and cruchy for others, but I love them both.

Does this frosting recipe use silken tofu or regular pressed tofu? I’m guessing silken, but if you could clarify I’m sure some people not familiar with tofu would appreciate it. 😉

1. I think either would work? I’m not sure… because what I use is silken, but it’s firm-silken. I think as long as you’re blending it, you’ll be ok with either, but I really don’t know! 😕

2. so nice of you to help your friend out. and with it the rest of us ;). it looks & sounds terrific.

3. GabyE says:

I’m a creamy pb girl, same with all my nut butters. And I blend my nut butters soooo much, I like them super silky.

4. Mari says:

I prefer the smooth I must say… So much easier to blend it in with other flavours, like this one! Looks uber yummy, I really need to get a food processor or blender…

Although there are times when only crunchy will do, ah decisions, still if I had to chose smooth!

5. YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM ! you know i LIKE ANYTHING do with the words peanut… and not really butter.. but butter following a nut is where it’s at
    NO WAY CREAMY IS BETTER! why are people so ignorant when it comes to pb!

1. oh Carrie, how do your comments always crack me up?

6. Miriam says:

crunchy!!! although I see how creamy could be more useful for cooking, it hasn’t convinced me to purchase it yet.

7. Kelly says:

I’ve never thought about making icing with tofu before. Do you think firm is necessary for the texture or would silken work too?

1. I use silken-firm, but I think soft-silken would be fine too! :)
      (But admittedly, I don’t think I’ve ever used soft-silken tofu!)

8. Kathleen says:

I love that you used tofu!!! I am totally bookmarking/favoriting this page!!! It sounds DIVINE! 😀

9. I love PB frosting! Sometimes I think your motto should be ‘runs on tofu’ :)

10. This looks delicious Katie!

I prefer smooth PB!

11. Marina says:

Omg, this looks heavenly!
    I prefer smooth nut butters, but sometimes, the crunchy is also amazing :)

12. Gen says:

Crunchy pb!!!!
    That frosting looks amazing!!!! =D

13. OMG I want to eat that with a spoon!!!!!!!

14. Well, I like both, but prefer smooth. I just had the conversation with my husband this morning about higher fat, but better for you. I think our generation suffers from food allergies and intolerances because our parents gave us the low fat chemical versions of foods when we were younger. Not that it is their fault, it is what they were being taught was better, but really…the real food is so much better for you. The frosting looks delicious!

1. I agree with you! I have a second cousin who grew up when it was popular to give infants skim milk, and he never developed fat receptor cells and has had a lot of problems because of it, even still (He’s in his thirties). :(.

15. Katie you seriously are the best! Can you write a cookbook please?

16. Brandi says:

Crunchy PB by far! I just love the chunks of peanuts! I’m not really picky though I’ll eat either of them. MMMMMM, peeeeeanut butteeeeerrr!

17. This looks sooo good! I love frosting that doesn’t require tons of powdered sugar or vegan butter!

1. abby says:

+1 to this! :)

18. Tofu frosting! I love this idea!