Katie, the Black Swan

What do Black Swans eat?

I just know that’s what y’all were wondering on Oscar night, wasn’t it?

Not so much? Well, just in case you did wonder, I’ve got your answer. According to answers.com, the black swan is a vegetarian. (Natalie Portman is a vegetarian, too!) When my friend threw an Oscars costume party on Sunday night (I went as a black swan), here’s what I decided to bring along with me:

pbb

……………………………….Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

So there you go. Black swans eat chocolate and peanut butter. Or, this chocolate-covered black swan did, at least.

kt

I know, I know: I’m boring, going as a black swan, when that’s what all the other girls did too. (Well, we did have a few queens, and one boxer.) Normally, I like to be unique and creative, but I took ballet as a little kid, and so the thought of dressing up again in a tutu was just too exciting. Before leaving, I made sure to have some healthy food:

stroganoff

High-Protein Mushroom Stroganoff

Over yumlicious barley flakes. And yes that is a snowflake bowl. I’m odd cool like that.

Question of the Day:

What activities did you do as a little kid?

Or, if you were like my sister and me, maybe a better question would be: “What activities didn’t you do?!” We played basketball, softball, soccer, tennis, and , and we took art lessons, piano lessons, Spanish lessons, ice skating, and did girls scouts. Often, my mom would pick us up from one activity and we’d eat dinner in the car on the way to the next. It wasn’t our mom who pushed us into all of this; I was the one who wanted to try everything… Kinda like how I feel now, every time I enter the nut-butter aisle at Whole Foods! 😉

Tags:

1. Jennifer JCD says:

You make a lovely black swan, supposing you don’t go all crazy. That film was brilliant, by the way.

I hwar you with all the activities as a kid. Our parents limited us to two at a time – one sport and Scouts or Girl Guides. As I got older I did three, but one of them was complementing the other. I participate in ringette, softball, swimming, ballet, tae kwon do, springboard diving, soccer, Girl Guides and Scouts. Obviously not all at the same time, but it always seemed like I was doing something every day! Now I stick to ballet lessons, teaching Brownies, and teaching my little cousin how to swim. That keeps me busy enough.

2. abby says:

katieeeee! you make a GORGEOUS swan! sooo sooo pretty :). actually, i think you even look a little like natalie portman.
    is it just me?
    what shampoo do you use?
    anyway, i was like you as a kid too. maybe not quite as busy, but i did do soccer, tee ball, art lessons, and ice skating for sure! 🙂
    -abby

1. abby says:

oh, also, where are the tutu photos? lol

1. Abby, you are the BEST boost for self-confidence, ya know that? I’d LOVE to look like Natalie Portman; she is gorgeous and always glowing (must be the vegetarian thing, right? hehe or now maybe the preggers thing!) 🙂
        As for the tutu… I actually didn’t get any photos of just me (without my friends in the photos). And I try not to post my friends’ photos for privacy reasons. So sadly for you (or maybe happily, since I looked silly), no tutu photos.

3. Kari says:

Haha. I’m that same way about the nut butter aisle at Whole Foods. Most aisles actually. Sometimes I fear I won’t live long enough to try all the deliciousness I see around me.

4. Camille says:

I want to see your tutu!
    I immediately started thinking about this SNL sketch when you said Black Swan. I don’t know why, logically I would have started thinking of the movie.

5. I was one of those children who participated in a ton of activities. I think basketball is the only mainstream sport I didn’t play, and I even did synchronized swimming for a short while. However, in high school, I was much more focused and only did dance. I haven’t seen Black Swan yet, but I’m hoping to soon!

6. My daughter wears the cutest tutus and I wish they had them in my size! Haha because I would TOTALLY sport them 🙂

7. Im like you- what didnt i do? I did horse riding, swimming, baseball, basketball, soccer, dance, ballet, softball, skiing, running club, tap dance!– pretty much every single sport on the planet.. HUGE athlete family o’er HURR!

you are such a beautiful black swan!!! and seriously you have such nice hair

1. You are my new best bloggie friend. If you weren’t already… 😉

8. Gen says:

I was in ballet and tap. I also took piano lessons when I was younger! =D

9. I tried a lot of stuff once, and realized I didn’t care for any of it much .. the only things I stuck with for any appreciable amount of time (longer than a season, anyway) – girl scouts, piano lessons, and academic team. which might explain my general aversion to exercise now …

1. I guess it’s good to try a lot of things; that way you can know what’s worth pursuing and what’s not (*cough cough lacrosse!*).

10. VeggieGirl says:

I was (and still am) a super active person!

11. I think I need to see that movie again. My friend and I got up and walked out in silence after it ended, not knowing what to think!

When I was a kid I was pretty lucky – Mom let me try everything under the sun. Horseback, ballet, tap, figure skating, basketball, etc. Softball was the only think I stuck with. I still play today!

12. I took tap and jazz, was a girl scout and played the clarinet. There were four of us girls, so it was pretty busy all the time. The chocolate peanut butter balls sound perfect for the event!

1. I played oboe :). Reed love! (Or not so much; I hated those reeds. They always broke!)

13. Mmmm…chocolate peanut butter balls. Yummmm 🙂

14. HVL says:

Natalie Portman is actually a vegan 😀

15. What a lovely, and less crazy (ha), black swan!

As a kid I took piano lessons and then dabbled in dance classes, tennis lessons and swim team. I was really into voice & theater for a while though!

Have a great day, pretty girl

16. Andrea says:

Katie,
    Do you tell your friends what the stuff you bring to parties to share is? Or do you just set it on the table and avoid the 20 questions? It seems like when I go to dinner parties, and I bring my dish, everyone is so curious – but then when I tell them it’s vegan (which, why wouldn’t it be? yet they ask me EVERY time! :-p), they turn their nose up at it…and eat their “real” food (irritating and borderline rude to call vegan food not real, but that’s another topic/comment/story, haha).

Anyway, just wondering what you told your friends about your babies! 🙂

1. Hey Andrea!
      At first, when I started making things for my friends, I would just put it down and not say anything. Only AFTER they said they liked something would I admit to them that it was healthy and vegan. Then they can’t take their words back! 😉 I still do this sometimes, like when I serve something sugar-free or something with tofu. But by now, I’ve conditioned my friends to KNOW that vegan and healthy food can taste good! So they actually are constantly asking me now for recipes, because they want healthy foods that taste yummy. Even the boys are ok eating healthy foods when I make them, because a long time ago I tricked them into admitting they liked healthy food before they knew it was healthy ;).
      On a different note, I wrote something about fitting in/parties here:

17. You are a beautiful swan
    I did so many things as a kid! Including swimming, ballet, karate, a variety of art classes, acting, figure skating, and singing. As I got older I did some more sports. I still figure skate but I also am involved in a lot of other things!

18. Costume parties make me so happy. Well, costumes in general. I dressed up in a Hawaiian costume for my race this past weekend- it made the whole thing so much more fun! Those chocolate PB balls look amazing!

1. oh my gosh, I soooo want to do one of those costumed run things! But then I’m scared of getting passed by that 70-year-old man who dresses up as the tooth fairy ;).

19. When I was a kid I played lots of sports in school — but I wasn’t very good. Basketball, Volleyball, Track (I was pretty good at the long jump!) but other than that I loved to play tennis (aka hit the ball back and forth not caring if it is in bounds or not).

Natalie is a Vegan I think — she was on an episode of Top Chef and the challenge was making her vegan meals. She is so cute!

20. If I haven’t said it a billion times already, you are SO DARN GORGEOUS Katie!! Holy Moly I wish I could steal your FACE it is so PRETTY!! Natalie Portman has some SERIOUS competition in Texas! 😉

I wish I could live in the WF nut butter aisle…or in the chocolate aisle…my ultimate fantasy is that they put them NEXT to each other. That would be HEAVEN 🙂

P.S. I am going to make those balls RIGHT now!!

1. you can steal my face if i can have your hair… and your mad running skills/speed! 🙂