Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Mmmm Oatmeal Cake

Currently… Eating:

boatcake1_thumb_thumb

Baked Oatmeal Cake

Today’s flavor was pumpkin-chocolate-chip. With Dagoba 100% chocolate pieces. Also:

cauliflower nuggets

Cauliflower “Chicken” Nuggets

But not together! No, definitely not together. Just two dishes I happen to be loving lately.

Reading:

rw

‘Cept my copy happens to have a girl on it. Boo.

Does anyone else ever wonder why running magazines seem to focus so much on weight loss?

Sure, some people might pick up running in order to lose weight… but wouldn’t they read fitness magazines if looking for weight-loss tips? I would’ve thought people interested in running magazines would be those who love the sport of running and want to know all about its history, lore, and famous faces (i.e. stories of the star athletes involved), as well as ways to properly fuel for peak performance, not weight loss.

Just my 2 cents. I still love the magazine.

Wearing:

DSC_0245

And one more foodie “currently”:

pizza cake

Dessert Pizza Cake

Speaking of dessert, you’re going to see a lot more of it in the next few days. Coming atcha tomorrow is a new chocolate-cake recipe. And after that: a milkshake (which may or may not have something to do with cake batter).

Question of the Day:
What are your “currently”s?

1. Camille says:

I think the reason running magazines focus so much on weight loss is because, as runners, losing weight isn’t as easy for us… or for me at least. When I am running 30+ mile weeks I just gain weight.
    Currently, I am celebrating my boy and my anniversary and my kitten baby’s first birthday :)

1. So true! I always find it funny when people try to give me weight-gain advice by saying, “Stop running.” I’ve never lost any weight from running, because however much I burn, my appetite increases tenfold to more than make up for it! :)

1. Annie says:

Hi Katie! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and I absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing so much information =)

I occasionally read Runners magazine too. I heard some runners try to lose weight so they can run faster, since they aren’t carrying as much weight with them? I’m not a serious runner so I’m not sure if that’s scientifically correct haha.

2. Hi Annie!
        Yup, it is true! :) lol that’s how I first got involved… a coach saw me and thought I’d make a good runner. The problem is, if you eat too little, you’ll have no energy and so you’ll be slower even if you are small! Anywhoos… I’m so happy to “meet” you hehe :).

2. Hmmm….currently: yoga, chocolate, love, dogs, blogs and all sorts of nut butters. :-)

That oatmeal cake looks like something I need to make! Soon!

3. Currently eating: a kiwi and a egg and cheese bagel
    Currently wearing: my workout clothes from this morning (eww, right? haha)
    Currently needing: a shower (as evidenced by the above statement!)

1. lol! I am sometimes guilty of eating breakfast in my workout clothes too. :)

4. whitney says:

I wanna chocolate hug! 😀

Whitney

1. Girl, you are so sweet you can have three!

5. All your food looks way too good!! When am I invited over? 😉

I just got done eating some of your banana brulee oats! OMG WAAAAY TOO GOOD!!!! I just posted about it if you want to see the picture! Next I’m off to take care of all my animals, then study, and then work on my brother’s 18th birthday today. Boy, I better get going! 😉

1. And thank you SO much for your super sweet comment on my last post – it meant so much to me! 😀 (And I very much agree that paper umbrellas make everything better :) )

6. yayy so glad desserts are coming up!! I am currently working on my blog post for today, eating oatmeal, and about to do some cleaning :( I have to try your oatmeal cake… looks great!

7. Freya says:

I agree with the running/diet thing – I wish there was more about maintaining weight, or even gaining it! But I suppose they do what demand wants, and maybe a lot of runners do want to lose weight and are serious hardcore runners too…who knows!

1. Freya says:

OH an currently eating parsnip and broccoli creamy cream-free vegan soup!

2. I’d just like to see more of a focus on what to eat for better running… but I guess, for a lot of people, better running means getting to a smaller frame because it makes you faster. But what they don’t realize is if you eat too little, your energy will flag and it doesn’t matter how much weight you lose; you’ll still be slower!

8. Ilana says:

ahhh the downward spiral of the media and our personal self-images…somewhere along the line, we all became obsessed with our weight, but who knows if it was the people leading the media or the media leading the people? every magazine promises at least 10 lbs weight loss from whatever their program is … right because if it were really as simple as buying a magazine and following their thirty second soundbyte of advice, i don’t think we’d be having the health crisis in this country that we are. personally i think such headlines help further the health crisis…. anyway moving on….

currently…sitting on my couch reading blogs, being lazy because i don’t have to be at work until 1
    currently…texting my boyfriend in Hong Kong about plans for when he gets home
    currently…realizing how late i slept in. should probably eat. I wanna try your baked oatmeal cake! yum!

1. What else is ridiculous is that they recycle the SAME advice over and over again (‘Cause seriously, how many ways can there be to get flat abs?). It’s like, after a while, they don’t even have to write new articles anymore! I seriously bet they just take the old ones, switch around a few words, and voila! New magazine issue!

9. Jen says:

Love the pictures and that oatmeal cake looks wonderful!

Currently still wearing my pajamas. Have just done a load of laundry and am planning on making some pad thai for lunches this week. Though I probably need a shower first…

10. I feel like the pick up running to lose weight sends out the wrong message and so many people pick up exercise for the wrong reasons. You have to make exercise into something you love and realize the true concrete reasons why you exercise.. Lately I have been loving dark chocolate coconut butter and almond butter all mixed together yum!

11. Your oatmeal cake looks soooo good! Currently, I am procrastinating because I have so much I need to do. :) Have a great Sunday!

12. Your oatmeal cake looks sooo good! Currently, I am staring at my to do list and procrastinating! :) Have a great Sunday!

13. UHGREED– why would a running mag promote weight loss?? they should promote strength and endurance.. DUH- ps i will need a mag like that cuz i signed up for a 10k and 1/2 marathon this summer and fall.. ACK! anywho- currently im eating a banana with pb… wow. thats embarrassing cuz im pretty sure im always eating one when commenting on your posts.. blogging time= carrie’s snack time- how perfect!

1. Ohmigosh, 1/2 marathon?! You and Emma are makin me look bad. lol Good luck, girl!!!

14. Currently: Loving your Chocolate Brownie (Red Velvet) Pancakes. 😀 Looking forward to the chocolate cake recipe!

15. Colleen says:

Currently at work; reading your blog and other vegan blogs to get recipes (which I do a lot in my downtime at work); getting inspired to make my own food blog! 😀 Thank you for sharing your awesome recipes.

16. I love runner’s world! I could spend all. Day. Reading it. Slash I am currently en route to the gym, wearing sweats. Whaddupp cute outfit of the week!

17. I had oat cake for b’fast too! Blueberry-banana.

Currently: loving Muscle & Fitness for Her mag (trying to build muscle!) and my new kitten. :)

18. Disturbed says:

So excited about the milkshake recipe coming!
    So excited.

Wondering, did you ever figure out a recipe for healthy vegan pot stickers?

Hmmm, my currently? Well probably the same ol’ same ol’. My nightly shake is the main thing I look forward to though: two cups of vanilla unsweetened almond milk, one and a half cup of frozen mixed fruit (or just your favorite fruit), and a little bit of Stevie sweetener.
    I love it :)
    That and grapefruit. It is great.

1. I haven’t yet… but maybe try googling it. It might be a while, since I have a ton of other recipes I need to work on as well.

19. I currently wish I had that oatmeal cake in front of me! Currently, I am hanging with my boys playing games all weekend! I hope you are having a great one!

20. I love Runner’s World! It gets delivered to my home address, so I have to wait until I get back from breaks to read it :( I think you’ve got a great point-I love running for the sport and it’s great to have inspiration and lore in the magazine, however, I first started running to lose weight. I kept it up because I love it so much, but it is helpful for those of us who are in both scenarios: loving the sport and trying to lose weight. I like their weight loss articles because they give me tips based on something I already love, which is the basis of sticking to any weight loss plan to begin with.

I’m currently recovering from various running injuries, so I’m loving on Pure Barre, Bootcamp Workouts, spinning, and biofreeze. Well, I’m always loving on biofreeze. Oh, and San Diego in it’s entirety :)

1. I sooo want to go to San Diego! Everyone always says such awesome things about it. If I make a bazillion dollars, that’s where I’m moving. Well, there or Hawaii ;).

1. You should! Yoga studios by the beach & running up and down the 101 is unreal! Going to school here spoils me. If you’re ever out here let me know & I’ll point you in the direction of awesome studios & running routes!

2. Gah, another reason to go! I’d love to take you up on that offer!

21. Runner’s World is great!! But I did a post on that too…I hate how directed at weight loss it is!! Gah it really gets to me!! But with people like you to inspire me I don’t need RW’s influence anyway :)

Currently I am OBSESSED with fudge babies. Just made the PB ones and ate most of them…they are SO GOOD!! And I can’t WAIT for these recipes!! Cake batter milkshake and chocolate cake?! If that isn’t a match made in heaven I don’t know what is! 😛

1. Ooo Emma, I just found your post! Yes, I went looking :). You summed up my sentiments, but said it even better than me!

22. hippierunner says:

I hate that Runner’s World always focuses on weight-loss or low calorie foods. I’d rather not read about stuff like that since I want to be a great runner eating whatever I want lol. It really bothers me how there is always something about how to lose 5-10 lbs and be faster as opposed to the message,others like Operation Beautiful promote, love yourself no matter what.

23. Hela says:

currently…
    … eating a bowl of curry containing papaya, peas, sweet potatoes and coconut milk
    … relaxing after a fantastic workout with spinning, treadmill and david kirsch´s workout
    … feeling blessed :)

I totally agree with your opinion about the weight loss thing!!

24. I wish there was less of an association between running and weight loss. It’s like any other sport– it’s for the PASSION!

That’s been my biggest challenge through recovery. Trying to reassure my parents that my running is not a means to lose weight! I do it bc it makes me feel good.

1. Disturbed says:

Are you recovering/recovered from anorexia? I ask because I am in the middle of recovery right now.

25. I’ve got a delicious Cajun Red Bean Stew on the stove.. and I can’t wait to dive in! I just took my dog for a lovely two hour romp in the 50 degree temps we are having! It’s a nice, lazy Sunday and I love it.

26. Disturbed says:

O, have you ever made vegan whoopie pies?
    I am making red velvet whoopie pies for my family in a little bit. They won’t be vegan since they could care less about that stuff, but I bet they would be easy to make vegan.

1. No… but that sounds awesome!

27. so when you make icing using tofu, is it safe to store at room temperature?

1. Disturbed says:

Hey, I don’t know the answer to this, but throwing in my two cents I find the icing firms up and taste a lot better when refrigerated.

2. I’m not sure, but I agree with Disturbed that it’s thicker and more icing-like when fridged.

28. Disturbed says:

Speaking of exercise (sorry for all the comments, I have been having random scattered thoughts) what are some other easy exercises I can do to get back active. I love exercising, and I really want to get back into it. It has to be easy on the knees though.

29. Karine says:

Don’t worry about your number of visitors… Your blog is so great (and already famous I think), you’ll get more and more readers even if you don’t do anything for it. (For example, I discovered your blog via a french vegan and sugar-free blog ; someone had advertised your blog on her own.) (And there are many “younger bloggers” (or not) who admire you a lot and speak about you as if you were a (chocolate)-goddess, lol. :D)
    Anyway, you still deserve to win this award. Good luck / break a leg!

1. Awww Karine, thanks so much for such a sweet comment! :) :)

30. I think pretty much all magazines that have to do with something active (or food related) has at least one article promoting a “new idea on how to lose weight” because when someone sees that on the shelf-they buy it. They want to lose weight.

I am currently wearing a white tennis skirt and pink top. And eating chocolate with peanuts :)

31. Emma says:

hello beautiful lady! i so love reading your blog – you deserve all the amazing things that life throws at you. I made a pumpkin-oatmeal cake a few weeks ago and thought of you in doing so. It was yummy! and that pizza cake looks fabuloso! must try that next!

1. Aww thank you, sweetest Emma!

32. Katie, i wanted to let you know that I posted two yummy chocolate recipes on my blog today. Maple Cinnamon Fudge and Aphrodisiac Love Truffles! I totally thought of you, Chocolate Queen! If you get a moment, you should check them out. I used maple syrup and honey in them, but I know you could use dates or stevia or something instead. Anyway, just wanted to share!

1. Thanks Alaina, I’ll check them out :).

33. It’s sort of annoying how much magazines still focus on weight loss after this time last year they were starting to make the shift to living healthy..and then it’s like they lost focus and were like “nvm, weight loss is more controversial”..and therefor more interesting for a lot of people I guess..

My big currently: procrastinating! 😉

1. LOL! I guess that’s my “always” :)

34. All magazines seem to focus on weight loss…from running to women’s health to fashion. It’s so old and played out. But apparently it’s what sells. They wouldnt keep printing it if ppl didnt keep buying them. Sad but true.

Currently loving the dessert pizzert w/ sprinkles! YUM! And the other great looking eats here.

And also the mid 70s and sunny weather here in CA. That’s what I’m loving :)

35. änne says:

I totally agree with this weight-loss topic…the worst thing,in my opinion,are magazines where on one page inner beauty is promoted and on the next page you find a new diet…

Currently I regret having ordered that cup of coffee when going out with friends…it’s almost 10 pm here,so i’ll have a great night…maybe I should re-arrange my furniture,that is my favorite “what-to-do-at-3-am-when-you-cant-sleep”-thing 😉

36. I just entered you in the blog comp… but misunderstood the blog URL bit at first and nearly entered myself!
    I’m currently eating anything with coconut in it :-)

1. Hey you can totally enter yourself! I definitely entered myself lol. Let me know if you want me to enter you too! :)

37. bitt says:

I hope you make the list. It would be deserved.

Love the idea of the chocolate inside the oats. Yum.

I have a recipe for raw lasagna up. Your mention of it awhile ago reminded me I wanted to make it. Have a virtual slice on me!

38. BroccoliHut says:

Currently obsessing over sea vegetable salad–had some at a funky veg cafe for lunch and can’t stop raving about how good it was! Also, currently reading Food Network Mag–shockingly, I’ve never read a single issue!

39. My currently’s: yoga pants, commenting on blogs, figuring out what I’m making for dinner tonight :)

1. Yoga pants! The comfort food of clothing :).

40. Hannah says:

I hope you make the list!!!
    My currently’s…..making some socca pizza bites for dinner and watching some friday night lights re-runs:)

41. Angel says:

currently LOVING the Bitter Chocolate Cake recipe from Alex @ Spoonful Of Sugar Free. YUM YUM YUM. Could eat that every day! It’s extra good with “fruit ice cream” (just froz fruit in food processor) Also loving the mint patty baby things. Currently in life, I love being a wife and Mama, although those are lifelong passions :)

42. Katarina says:

The oatmeal cake looks delicious! Have a great week :) I like your blog!

43. I totally agree about the running magazine. I don’t read runner’s mags for weight loss tips!

Currently….sitting down at the computer for the first time today. :-)

44. Currently drooling over dessert pizza cake. I feel the same way about runner’s world lately. I am training for a marathon now, and while sure, it’d be nice to lose a few, that’s just not what I’m concentrating on right now, I need to be eating a lot of healthy food to get through training! But then every time I read I feel like I’m supposed to be trying to weigh myself every day, too, and focus on that instead. Not cool.

1. Me too! I get confused, reading those articles! I’m like, “Wait, am I supposed to be eating like this?” lol no!

45. Currently loving your raw snickerdoodles, obviously!! And I like that magazine too but you’re right, every other article seems to mention weight loss. They should make a magazine specifically for running to lose weight and people can just buy that!

46. I’m currently studying the nervous system for a huge test I have next week, and it’s frying my brain! 😀

1. Blech. Sending good vibes your way!!

47. Eric Jaffa says:

Re: “Currently”

I tried quinoa for the first time yesterday. I’m going to eat it for dinner again, tonight.

Almost any recipe which tastes good with rice would probably also taste good with quinoa replacing the rice.

1. I keep meaning to try it in an oatmeal recipe! :)

1. Eric Jaffa says:

The quinoa I had for dinner tonight had a dryness which caused me to add a tbsp of vegetable oil while I was eating it, which I don’t usually do during a meal. Then the quinoa tasted good.

But in an oatmeal recipe which has soymilk, the soymilk would counter the dryness.

2. Eric Jaffa says:

I meant that if instead of eating a bowl of oatmeal with soymilk, one were to eat a bowl of quinoa with soymilk, then the dry-quality of quinoa would be balanced.

I wasn’t referring to cake recipes.

48. Hannah says:

Currently watching The West Wing with my mum, coffee, and chocolate covered dried mango. life is good.

1. I LOVE West Wing!!!! !!!! Especially Josh and Donna :). Oh, and Santos! And Leo. Oh heck, I just love that show. Come back, West Wing!

49. Currently reading blogs and watching Food Inc. yay spring break!

50. You are so sweet and that baked oatmeal cake looks delicious! I am going to check out your cauliflower chicken nuggets right now :-)

51. Tara says:

Currently eating: popcorn, your christmas casserole (i’m posting pics tomorrow! I’ll link so you can see!)
    Currently reading: Your blog, transcendentalist essays for english class, and copious amounts of books and articles on whaling for my research report.
    Currently wishing: I bought dagoba chocolate. I had it in my hands, but I put it back because I need to deplete my already overflowing chocolate stash!

1. lol next time, buy it. Then go home and deplete your chocolate stash very quickly (a difficult task, I know!) before introducing the dagoba into the house. Problem solved… except you’ll have a very low stash of chocolate after depleting it. That just means you’ll have to stock up again ;).

52. Veronica says:

I loved baked oatmeal! It’s so cute in cake form. :) Currently eating lots of fat. Currently reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin (an amazing read–can’t believe I’ve never read it b4!). Currently wearing jammies. It’s an hour and a half past my bedtime. *yawn* Good night!

53. That cauliflower looks delish!! I can’t get enough olives lately, but they’re soo salty and I really shouldn’t! 😳 Also lovin’ Mary’s Gone Crackers — can’t keep my hand out of the box! Sigh. 😀

54. Your foods are my currently!!! 😀

xoxo
    Kathleen

55. currently watching- How I Met Your Mother :)

I wonder too why runners’ magazines always focus on weight loss- I always thought that if you were serious enough to be running regularly, weight loss wouldn’t be the biggest issue to face. I guess everybody’s different! But it IS a big sell- some people do take up running to lose weight and then are converted to it for good because of how amazing it makes them feel :) I was one of those people and now I focus on how long I run, and on running longer and harder- not on how many calories I burn each run. It’s a wonderful freedom!!

56. maureen says:

hi…you know. I have been recovering from very serious lung surgery. I am a runner, many marathons and races, but last few years just go for runs. I am into eating healthy, but sure love eating the good stuff..both food and desert. I came across your site and loved your blog comments about running. I am stressed beyond, and well probably have been since I started running. I do not clock the same miles of 7-8-10mile runs like I use to. I am just not as young and a divorce changes the amount of free time you have. Well, I am rambling, but just good to hear other normal people out there have similar thoughts…i do want to continue to run, but it remains questionable right now with my health issues. I love your desserts….can I order some!!!!
    Oh, and to add to this all, boyfriend of over a year….issues and it saddens me because I hope we can make it together. oh…..thanks