Mmmm Oatmeal Cake

Currently… Eating:

boatcake1_thumb_thumb

Baked Oatmeal Cake

Today’s flavor was pumpkin-chocolate-chip. With Dagoba 100% chocolate pieces. Also:

cauliflower nuggets

Cauliflower “Chicken” Nuggets

But not together! No, definitely not together. Just two dishes I happen to be loving lately.

Reading:

rw

‘Cept my copy happens to have a girl on it. Boo.

Does anyone else ever wonder why running magazines seem to focus so much on weight loss?

Sure, some people might pick up running in order to lose weight… but wouldn’t they read fitness magazines if looking for weight-loss tips? I would’ve thought people interested in running magazines would be those who love the sport of running and want to know all about its history, lore, and famous faces (i.e. stories of the star athletes involved), as well as ways to properly fuel for peak performance, not weight loss.

Just my 2 cents. I still love the magazine.

Wearing:

DSC_0245

And one more foodie “currently”:

pizza cake

Dessert Pizza Cake

Speaking of dessert, you’re going to see a lot more of it in the next few days. Coming atcha tomorrow is a new chocolate-cake recipe. And after that: a milkshake (which may or may not have something to do with cake batter).

Question of the Day:
What are your “currently”s?

Tags:

1. Camille says:

I think the reason running magazines focus so much on weight loss is because, as runners, losing weight isn’t as easy for us… or for me at least. When I am running 30+ mile weeks I just gain weight.
    Currently, I am celebrating my boy and my anniversary and my kitten baby’s first birthday :)

1. So true! I always find it funny when people try to give me weight-gain advice by saying, “Stop running.” I’ve never lost any weight from running, because however much I burn, my appetite increases tenfold to more than make up for it! :)

1. Annie says:

Hi Katie! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and I absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing so much information =)

I occasionally read Runners magazine too. I heard some runners try to lose weight so they can run faster, since they aren’t carrying as much weight with them? I’m not a serious runner so I’m not sure if that’s scientifically correct haha.

1. Hi Annie!
          Yup, it is true! :) lol that’s how I first got involved… a coach saw me and thought I’d make a good runner. The problem is, if you eat too little, you’ll have no energy and so you’ll be slower even if you are small! Anywhoos… I’m so happy to “meet” you hehe :).

2. Hmmm….currently: yoga, chocolate, love, dogs, blogs and all sorts of nut butters. :-)

That oatmeal cake looks like something I need to make! Soon!

3. Currently eating: a kiwi and a egg and cheese bagel
    Currently wearing: my workout clothes from this morning (eww, right? haha)
    Currently needing: a shower (as evidenced by the above statement!)

1. lol! I am sometimes guilty of eating breakfast in my workout clothes too. :)

4. whitney says:

I wanna chocolate hug! 😀

Whitney

1. Girl, you are so sweet you can have three!

5. All your food looks way too good!! When am I invited over? 😉

I just got done eating some of your banana brulee oats! OMG WAAAAY TOO GOOD!!!! I just posted about it if you want to see the picture! Next I’m off to take care of all my animals, then study, and then work on my brother’s 18th birthday today. Boy, I better get going! 😉

1. And thank you SO much for your super sweet comment on my last post – it meant so much to me! 😀 (And I very much agree that paper umbrellas make everything better :) )

6. yayy so glad desserts are coming up!! I am currently working on my blog post for today, eating oatmeal, and about to do some cleaning :( I have to try your oatmeal cake… looks great!

7. Freya says:

I agree with the running/diet thing – I wish there was more about maintaining weight, or even gaining it! But I suppose they do what demand wants, and maybe a lot of runners do want to lose weight and are serious hardcore runners too…who knows!

1. Freya says:

OH an currently eating parsnip and broccoli creamy cream-free vegan soup!

2. I’d just like to see more of a focus on what to eat for better running… but I guess, for a lot of people, better running means getting to a smaller frame because it makes you faster. But what they don’t realize is if you eat too little, your energy will flag and it doesn’t matter how much weight you lose; you’ll still be slower!

8. Jen says:

Love the pictures and that oatmeal cake looks wonderful!

Currently still wearing my pajamas. Have just done a load of laundry and am planning on making some pad thai for lunches this week. Though I probably need a shower first…

9. I feel like the pick up running to lose weight sends out the wrong message and so many people pick up exercise for the wrong reasons. You have to make exercise into something you love and realize the true concrete reasons why you exercise.. Lately I have been loving dark chocolate coconut butter and almond butter all mixed together yum!

10. Your oatmeal cake looks soooo good! Currently, I am procrastinating because I have so much I need to do. :) Have a great Sunday!

11. Your oatmeal cake looks sooo good! Currently, I am staring at my to do list and procrastinating! :) Have a great Sunday!

12. UHGREED– why would a running mag promote weight loss?? they should promote strength and endurance.. DUH- ps i will need a mag like that cuz i signed up for a 10k and 1/2 marathon this summer and fall.. ACK! anywho- currently im eating a banana with pb… wow. thats embarrassing cuz im pretty sure im always eating one when commenting on your posts.. blogging time= carrie’s snack time- how perfect!

1. Ohmigosh, 1/2 marathon?! You and Emma are makin me look bad. lol Good luck, girl!!!

13. Colleen says:

Currently at work; reading your blog and other vegan blogs to get recipes (which I do a lot in my downtime at work); getting inspired to make my own food blog! 😀 Thank you for sharing your awesome recipes.

14. I love runner’s world! I could spend all. Day. Reading it. Slash I am currently en route to the gym, wearing sweats. Whaddupp cute outfit of the week!

15. I had oat cake for b’fast too! Blueberry-banana.

Currently: loving Muscle & Fitness for Her mag (trying to build muscle!) and my new kitten. :)

16. Disturbed says:

So excited about the milkshake recipe coming!
    So excited.

Wondering, did you ever figure out a recipe for healthy vegan pot stickers?

Hmmm, my currently? Well probably the same ol’ same ol’. My nightly shake is the main thing I look forward to though: two cups of vanilla unsweetened almond milk, one and a half cup of frozen mixed fruit (or just your favorite fruit), and a little bit of Stevie sweetener.
    I love it :)
    That and grapefruit. It is great.

1. I haven’t yet… but maybe try googling it. It might be a while, since I have a ton of other recipes I need to work on as well.

17. I currently wish I had that oatmeal cake in front of me! Currently, I am hanging with my boys playing games all weekend! I hope you are having a great one!

18. Runner’s World is great!! But I did a post on that too…I hate how directed at weight loss it is!! Gah it really gets to me!! But with people like you to inspire me I don’t need RW’s influence anyway :)

Currently I am OBSESSED with fudge babies. Just made the PB ones and ate most of them…they are SO GOOD!! And I can’t WAIT for these recipes!! Cake batter milkshake and chocolate cake?! If that isn’t a match made in heaven I don’t know what is! 😛

1. Ooo Emma, I just found your post! Yes, I went looking :). You summed up my sentiments, but said it even better than me!

19. hippierunner says:

I hate that Runner’s World always focuses on weight-loss or low calorie foods. I’d rather not read about stuff like that since I want to be a great runner eating whatever I want lol. It really bothers me how there is always something about how to lose 5-10 lbs and be faster as opposed to the message,others like Operation Beautiful promote, love yourself no matter what.

20. Hela says:

currently…
    … eating a bowl of curry containing papaya, peas, sweet potatoes and coconut milk
    … relaxing after a fantastic workout with spinning, treadmill and david kirsch´s workout
    … feeling blessed :)

I totally agree with your opinion about the weight loss thing!!