A New Unsweetened Almond Milk

But first, I have an important question to ask:

Cake or Frosting?

Even as a little kid, I was a frosting-over-cake girl; I always vied for those frosting roses. Did any of y’all do that? (I’m not sure I even liked the taste; they were just so gosh-darn pretty!)

Anyway, in my exuberance about the Raw Chocolate-Raspberry Cake, I forgot to mention that you don’t have to make it a cake. You can do this…

chocolate fudge icing

Chocolate-Raspberry Butter

Or chocolate-raspberry fudge frosting.

cocoa

Try this on top of Banana Pancakes for One.

If you dare. You might never want to eat anything else ever again. Or skip the pancakes and opt for straight-up frosting shots. Yeah, frosting shots. And if you’re looking for something with which to wash down said shots, I’ve gotcha covered. Or, rather, Silk’s gotcha covered:

silk

I mentioned the coconut in the New Product Alerts page awhile back, but hadn’t yet tried it.

Unsweetened Almondmilk:

Silk came out with plain, vanilla, and chocolate almond milks a few months ago, but did you know that they now have an unsweetened one as well?

It’s my newest-favorite thing! I’ve always loved Almond Breeze, but this milk is like three times creamier! Plus, it’s fortified with vitamin B12. (Almond Breeze is not.) Price-wise, Silk also holds an edge ($3.50 for 8 cups as opposed to AB’s $2 for 4 cups when on sale).

Coconutmilk:

I love coconut. Did you know? Yeah, um, unless you’ve been living under a rock, I’m sure you did. (And even those of you rock-dwellers have probably heard by now.) So I was surprised to find I didn’t like the So Delicious brand’s coconut milk beverage. Even the sweetened one, I found to to be watery and bland. Good news, though: Silk Coconutmilk is much thicker. Even my dairy-drinking mom likes it! I bet it’d be really good in oatmeal!

Final thoughts… and opinions welcome:

I know Silk is owned by Dean Foods, who also happens to be the biggest dairy-seller in the US. I’m not sure how I feel about this… but I think their clout and reputation in the dairy industry give them the ability to make products like soymilk more mainstream (for example: Silk commercials, advertisements in magazines, and availability at places like Starbucks and Wal-Mart). And more easily-accessible vegan products means more people will be turned on to them, which will eventually translate to fewer animal products consumed. Obviously, there are positives and negatives (and I haven’t done much research on them, so if anyone wants to leave their own thoughts on the issue, I’d be happy to hear others’ opinions). But I’m just excited to see non-dairy milks are becoming so popular that even the big dairy guys are taking notice!

Speaking of milk, I thought I’d give a preview of tomorrow’s post:

cakeshakebrighter

Hint: It is not a Cookie Dough Milkshake.

What’s your favorite milk?
And do you ever drink it straight-up?

I hated drinking milk when I was little. My mom had to put food coloring or cocoa powder in it to entice me. But now, I really love a big glass of almond milk!

Tags: , , ,

1. I love the new silk almond milk its definitely way creamier than almond breeze and you cant beat 35 calories! Havent tried their coconut although I love coconut milk

2. I have to be in the mood for milk… but a milkshake it a whole different store :) I could have a milkshake 24/7!

3. Silk’s unsweetened almond milk is my go-to milk. I always have a container in my fridge! And yep, I drink it straight up. :) Haven’t tried the coconut one yet.

I’m excited about your post tomorrow! Looks like funfetti cake batter.

4. Camille says:

I am a frosting girl all the way! As my sister likes to say when I steal all the frosting off our cake, “UGH! Camille, you eat everything that is frosting!!”

5. Stefanie says:

I like almond milk. My favorite brand is whole foods brand. It is a little more but it has a better texture and flavor then the others I have tried. I was a frostnig girl. My favorite was fudge frosting and would buy it from the bakery to eat plain.

6. Eric Jaffa says:

Eden Foods uses “Organic Soybeans” in their soymilk.

Silk generally doesn’t.

For the past year, I’ve usually bought Eden Foods’ soymilk instead of Silk.

7. I’ve never tried almond milk, but I LOVE coconut milk!! We don’t get Silk over here, so I have a different brand, but it is SOOO good, specially in oats! 😀

Ohmygoodness, is that FUNFETTI CAKE BATTER MILKSHAKE I see?!?! :O

I can’t wait!!! 😀

1. Hannah says:

Hi Emma (and Katie)
      I’m a reader from London too! What brand coconut milk do you buy here? I can only ever find tins and you can’t drink them right? Or at least it would taste well weird! Xx

1. HEY Hannah!!

It’s called Kara coconut milk, and I buy it from Tesco’s or Holland and Barrett. You can order it online too, like from here: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/554897_Kara_Freshly_Pressed_Coconut_Milk_1ltr.html

Hope that helps! :)

1. Hannah says:

Thanks Emma, they do it in Tesco?!?!? That is beyond exciting!
          Btw I got some amazing almond milk (ecomil) but it’s like three quid a litre :( MUST get making my own!
          X

8. Heather says:

I just happened to pick up a carton of the unsweetened almond milk to try when I make oatmeal. I’m excited to use it in some other recipes too!

9. argh I’m so envious of the availability of non dairy milks in the states!

10. Wait. There are SPRINKLES in that. I’m sososososososo excited for that recipe, you have no idea!!

When it comes to milk, I prefer almond best too, though I’ll drink soy in a pinch!

1. Meanie butt spam! Gabriela is not spam! She is beautiful, talented lady. (I saw your tweets. Don’t worry, it happened to me too, and fixed itself after an annoying few days.)

11. I usually buy unsweetened vanilla almond breeze — I really only use it in smoothies, other than that I don’t need it! I don’t buy Silk Almond only because AB is always cheaper at my grocery store!

And you know me and coconut…moving on.

I used to drink a ton of milk when I was a kid — I’m talking 3-4 big glasses of 1-2% milk per day. I loved it. And now my body can’t handle it — go figure!

12. FROSTING SHOTS! thats what im talkin bout!!!!!! we dnt have silk here :( but it sounds tasty! i use light soy milk cuz its the only non dairy milk that i can easlily acesss. tis tasty though and its not GMO so im down
    oo that is a toughie with the dairy situation.. its like you dnt wnt to support them but then if more ppl buy silk then itll be more popular and then maybe they will only make silk… TOUGHIE!

13. OH BTW thought i should tell you that im eating a nanner with pb! PERFECT TIMING!

1. LOL you always seem to be eating pb-banana when you comment on my blog!

14. My heart just skipped a beat when I saw that cake batter shake pic….can’t wait!!!

15. as in.. you always post when its snack time for me..okk yeah just hope you got that reference above! ill shut up now 😉

16. Jennifer JCD says:

All I can say is… sprinkles?!?! The rest of the article is pretty foogy now after I saw the last picture. Sprinkles, hundreds and thousands, nonpareils, whatever they are have my attention.

Oh, and we have some coconut milk in the fridge, the So Delicious brand to try. I’ll be interested to see how it tastes, especially after your review on it. And why was the coconut milk hiding amongst the dairy milk in the cooler, not with all the other non-dairy milks? Huh… random grocery store mystery…

1. I hope you like the So Delicious brand more than I did. I know a lot of people like it. Maybe I was just disappointed it didn’t taste like straight-up coconut, addict that I am!

17. Tha-Cake-Batteeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *happy dance*

18. Your post for tomorrow looks delish… cant wait!! I used to hate frosting, but now I love it esp. butter cream frosting :) I drink organic skim milk, and I don’t drink it plain but I like to have milk with cereal and milk with my Carnation chocolate drink mix in the morning!!

19. Nicole says:

I have Silk coconut milk and Silk organic, unsweetened soy milk in my fridge right now. I love putting these milks in my smoothies every morning. I do have one concern. In the ingredients list you will find “Natural Flavor” in both milks. This concerns me. Why do the manufacturers have to include this.? Being a health nut that i am i struggle with this ingredient.

1. As a vegan, I’m not so big on that either! ‘Cause then you can’t easily know if it’s animal-derived or not. I think it’s ridiculous that companies aren’t forced to list EVERY ingredient in their products! I mean, if they’re gonna bother listing ingredients…

2. Eric Jaffa says:

“Original Edensoy, Organic Soymilk” is a product without “Natural Flavor” in the ingredients.

Instead:
      “Purified Water, Organic Soybeans, Naturally Malted Organic Wheat and Barley Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Kombu Seaweed , Sea Salt”