Healthy Cake-Batter Milkshake

cake batter milkshake

If the above photo didn’t get your attention, I wash my hands of you.

cake batter vegan milkshake

Today, it’s all about the cake batter.

Cake Batter Milkshake
(raw and sugar-free)

• 1 frozen, large banana, as ripe as possible
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp melted coconut butter (you might be able to sub unrefined, melted coconut oil but it won’t be as buttery)
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk of choice (For an extremely rich, ice-cream-like shake, try full-fat canned coconut milk. Use more or less milk, depending on desired thickness.)
  • If you prefer smoothies in a bowl, reduce milk or add a pinch of xantham and guar gums, just like with the Mint-Chocolate Chip Milkshake.
  • Optional: 2-3 tsp butter-type spread (such as Earth Balance), melted, for a more cake-like flavor. (Or you can either add 1 tbsp macadamia or cashew butter, or very scant 1/8 tsp butter extract, which is oddly vegan. I emailed Wilton.)
  • Optional: handfuls of sprinkles

Blend everything together in your Vita-Mix or blender. Add some sprinkles, pre-blending, and throw some more on top! (No, the sprinkles aren’t raw. See note, further down in this post.)

cakeshake

This tastes delicious to me… but I’ve never had cake batter ice cream. So if you make this…

Please let me know:

Did I succeed in making it taste like a true cake batter shake? Tell me the truth; if I didn’t, I’ll be happy to keep tweaking the recipe. Edible experiments are always fun! Other ideas I tossed around while thinking up the recipe include:

1. Adding a few drops of coconut extract.
2. Making it un-raw and adding batter from my Single-Lady Cupcake.
3. Adding baking powder, or flour, for a cake-y taste.

cake batter shake

cakeshakebrighter

cake batter blender

Now I’m thinking of other ideas to try:

Cake batter oatmeal, raw ice cream… or even Healthy Funfetti Cake.

This isn’t the last of the cake-batter experiments!

cake milkshake

A word about the sprinkles:

I’d planned to find a raw substitute. And, when I asked on Twitter, some of you suggested dried fruit or veggies.

But it would’ve looked more like a crunchy granola shake than one of cake batter. Plus, I’m not a raw-foodist, and I truly believe that a small shake of sprinkles once in a blue moon will not hurt anyone. (They even make organic sprinkles now.) However, you can easily forgo the sprinkles if you make this shake. I included them more for decoration than anything else. (Same goes for the soyatoo.)

Be sure to check out my new recipe tab: Healthy Milkshake Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. That milkshake looks so good! The childhood birthday cakes I can remember were The Little Mermaid, Lion King, and My Little Pony haha 🙂 As I got older, I wasn’t a big icing fan, so birthday cakes were ice cream cakes, chocolate of course!

2. J’adore! I can’t wait to find out how this one turns out! I used to eat cake batter ice cream like it was my J-O-B before I went veg, so perhaps this will bring back good memories:)

3. Kaitlin says:

I love all of your recipes! You are so inventive! I can’t wait to try think shake – it looks amazing. Some of my memorable cakes include: a gumball machine, wakeboard, and Simba.

4. Alyssa says:

Oh man, I almost licked my computer screen!!!!!!! That looks SO GOOD! Can’t wait to try it out.

When I was a kid I LOVED pistachio cake, which my mom made for me every year on my birthday. She made it again last Christmas for the first time in…well, a long time, lol!

1. Erika says:

I love ANYthing pistachio! Never had it in cake form, though!

5. brandi says:

that looks SO good!

6. This looks…okay, there are no words. I am SO trying this soon!! WITH the sprinkles for added goodness!! 😀

And every cake of mine was a memorable one. I mean, it’s chocolate cake!! 😉 I had a Dalmation one TOO once!!

1. Aww I wonder if we had them the same year!

7. Yum! Looks delightful and so easy! I’ll definitely be giving it a try :D.

8. THIS LOOKS AMAZING!! Where do you get coconut oil?

1. Hey Tara,
      You can find it in the natural-food section of most grocery stores (if they have a natural food section), near the oils. Or look in the oil section at Whole Foods. But it MUST be virgin coconut oil, as the other type doesn’t have a coconutty flavor.

9. Annnnd you just posted my afternoon snack. I can’t wait to try this!!! With sprinkles, FTW.

My birthday cakes were ALWAYS Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake – cookies ‘n cream ice cream with chocolate cake. My favorite part was the icing they wrote “Happy Birthday” in. It tasted different/special for some reason.

1. It was the perfect snack! I added vanilla protein powder, butterscotch extract and a handful of spinach. YUM.

Now I’m in the mood to party like it’s my birthday.

1. Hahahahaha spinach cake batter shake? Oh, the “normal” people of the world (i.e. non-bloggers and blog-readers) would think you were insane! Me, I think it sounds delicious!

2. Ari says:

Did it still taste like cake batter with the addition of the spinach?!! I love putting spinach in my normal fruit-ice-protein powder smoothies but those aren’t necessarily made to taste sweet…

1. You can’t taste the spinach at all! I wouldn’t try it with anything stronger though.

10. I have to (HAVE TO!!) go try this recipe out! This is amazing!

11. Camille says:

Oh. My. Gosh. I have no words.

12. Erika says:

Katie! I made it!!!! And OMG it was as fab as could be! I went through a phase where I ate cake batter ice cream like it was my job, so I’m a pretty good judge. And I think ya got it down! Awesome recreation!!! 🙂

13. whitney says:

Can you make me dessert every day? Thanks 🙂

Whitney

14. Leashieloo says:

Omg, you’ve outdone yourself. I want this shake right now!

15. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Katie, this looks delicious!!! I just had another thin mint milkshake for breakfast this morning pudding style), Now I can have some cake batter for lunch!!! And cookie dough for dinner!! Yay! It is a milkshake day!!!!

And my favorite cake my mom made for me was a jewelry box cake 🙂 It had candy bracelets and ring pops in it, and it was shaped like a jewelry box with a little ballerina figurine inside! I loved it 🙂 Nowadays I make my own cakes (or this year pie!) Because they all have to be sugar-free!

16. Blog is the New Black says:

What a picture to catch my eye!!!

17. Odette @ theonlyplanetwithchocolate says:

OMG Katie I know that I’m just echo-ing everyone else, but this looks absolutely delicious!! Sprinkle cake batter has always been my favourite, and every time I make it I’m tempted to just eat it raw.
    One of my best friends swears by taking some of the instant sprinkle cake mix, mixing it with a bit of water in a mug, and putting it in the microwave for instant cake single-serving style 🙂 this looks like another amazing way to enjoy the wonder that sprinkled batter brings!

18. Disturbed says:

I am going to have to make this soon! Have to!

Have you ever had Van’s waffles?
    I tried them this morning (the vegan ones) and some soy yogurt on top (strawberry), it was something new for breakfast in like forever.
    I was wondering if you had any ideas on easy (like frozen or super easy to prepare in the morning-not oatmeal) for morning breakfast?

1. I have tried Vans waffles! Haven’t had them in ages, though. I guess another easy, non-oat breakfast idea is ezekiel english muffins with pb and jelly or another topping. Or make lots of pancakes up in advance and freeze leftovers. Or my banana bread in a bowl recipe :).

1. Disturbed says:

Hmmm, never thought of English muffins.
        I’m not big with Pb&J, so I will have to figure out something else there.

1. Kayla says:

Why not chocolate?

1. Disturbed says:

Chocolate how?
            I am big on nutrition, so ya.

2. Kayla says:

Gosh you have to make it difficult don’t you? 😀
            My nutrition ideas are probably different than yours but depending on what you think is healthy… dark chocolate chips and peanut butter, strawberry jelly and chocolate, bananas and chocolate, you could probably find a way to turn Katie’s oatmeal recipes into muffin toppers. Or you could have an experiment night tonight. It is dinner time 😀

19. Elisabeth says:

Wow, this looks delicious! I’ve been following your blog for a while and never commented, but I couldn’t resist this time! 🙂

1. Aww hi Elisabeth!! So nice to “meet” you :).