Mint-Chocolate Fudge Parfait

Top o’ the morning to ya!

Were you mint-ed out with all the St. Patrick’s Day Recipes?

Hope not, because I have one more to share!

Yesterday’s special dessert: a fudge-mint parfait. (Yes, today is St. Patrick’s Day, but I had to make it early so I could blog about it before St. Paddy’s Day is over!)

greenp3

Vegan cream, spelt flakes, and Chocolate-Fudge Frosting.

Like St. Patrick’s Day in a parfait glass.

(St. Patrick’s Day goes French??)

green parfait 2

Soy-Free Peppermint Cream

(Makes 1 1/2 cups: one Katie-sized serving!)

• 5 tiny drops pure peppermint extract
  • sweetener of choice
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • scant 2 1/2 T water (20g)
  • 1/2 serving agar base (recipe linked below)
  • 3 drops coconut extract (Optional, but highly recommended)
  • Optional (for green hue) handful spinach (I used frozen) (You could use green food coloring. Or opt to keep the cream white, like candy-cane cream!)

Instructions: First, make up the agar base. When the base is cooled, put half of it in a blender (or Magic Bullet) with all the other ingredients and blend away.  Whip very well. I like to put it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to eating, so it’s super-cold.

green parfait

See original whipped-cream post for Nutrition Facts.

I’m really lovin’ this holiday-parfait thing. Other holiday parfaits so far:

vegan love parfait

Love Potion Parfait

ppafait

Pumpkin Pie Parfait

I’m thinking, for Easter, a carrot-cake parfait is a must. Carrots, raisins, walnuts… delicious ideas are already spinning. (Oh, and in case you were wondering, I totally upped the saturation of that green cream. It did not look as pretty when I ate it!)

When you eat:
What’s most important: looks or taste?

Do you like to make your meals look pretty, using fancy plates and garnishes? Or do you just throw things together and not care about the appearance, as long as it tastes yummy? I do a little of both. Sometimes, I’m in the mood to be fancy-schmancy. But at other times–especially when I’m in a rush–prettiness just goes out the window.

Same if I’m eating a food that can’t look pretty, like my No-Cream Cream of Broccoli Soup.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Hela says:

Happy Paddy´s day!!!
    oh yum, yum, yum, those parfaits looks delicious! You would never guess the peppermint one does NOT contain any artificial colours… 😉 Must make that asap!! I am going to have a salad today, mostly with greens 🙂
    I do care more about the taste, than the look of my food. But somehow it always looks nice on my plate 😉 There are times, when I do care a lot about the appearance, though, like when I give dinner parties.

1. Haha yeah, I guess it does depend on who’s eating your food. I’d NEVER serve some of the stuff I eat to others. Especially some of my blended recipes… 😉

1. Hela says:

true 😉
        lol, the blended recipes do look kinda gross, sometimes. but hey, it would be worse to have great looking food that would taste awful!

2. Taste is more important, but if it doesn’t look good, I have a hard time wanting to eat it!

I think a carrot cake parfait is a great idea for Easter!

3. Pretty food always tastes better to me, but it ultimately comes down to taste. Yours definitely have BOTH covered!

4. katie says:

Happy St Patrick’s Day love!!

I am loving the parfait!!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!!

Have a beautiful day! xoxo

5. Leashieloo says:

Taste is the most important, I’ve had some ugly looking things that were way delish.

6. I like my food to taste good!! But, im not gonna lie when I go to a restaurant and it looks nasty I probably wont eat it!!! Happy st. pattys day 🙂

7. dang- do you just come up with recipes like in your dreams magically??? thats DANG COOL! you always have something fantastic to show us!!! oh for me.. taste over appearance.. umm my food is ALWAYS UGGGGI!
    but tastes oh so good !

1. Sometimes I can’t sleep because I have to write down an idea… it can be annoying actually lol.
      And your food is so NOT always ugly. What about those chocolate oatmeal bowls? 😉

8. TASTE!!! 😀 Sometimes things don’t look so pretty, but they taste amazing. 🙂 Though, for bloggin, I kind of feel both is important. 🙂

This is the perfect St. Patty’s Day Treat! 😀
    xoxo
    Kathleen

9. You are the parfait queen! That looks so yummy! My meals almost always never look pretty 🙂 haha UNLESS I am photographing them! Such a blogger thing right? Your food LOOKS and TASTE delicious!

1. So true! If I’m not photographing something for the blog, I don’t care if the plates match or anything like that. It’s one of the reasons I could never blog about every meal I eat!

10. Goodness, those parfaits are looking so beautiful and delicious! I definitely go for taste more than looks, but when food tastes awesome and looks beautiful too, it makes the whole experience even better!

11. TASTE! My food looks like dog food most of the time but it always tastes good 🙂

12. devan says:

the love potion parfarit looks amazing <3!!!

13. Happy St Patty’s day! I hope you enjoy another one of those today because it looks DELICIOUS!! I made one of your recipes last week (mint choc chip smoothie) and im going to do it again today 🙂

1. Aw yay! I’m so honored, Alyssa!

14. Your green parfait looks delicious!! I am way more concerned with how my food tastes, and I could pretty much care less how it looks. Some of my dinners look like (and ARE) thrown together messes, but if they taste good I’m happy 🙂

15. Lisa says:

I love your blog, Katie!!!! It’s my favorite!

16. Taste is way more important than how my food looks. If it looks good as well as tastes good, that’s just a bonus!

17. Kay says:

Your food is almost too pretty to eat!

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Well……taste of course is the most important because it can look pretty, but it can taste so horrible that you can’t even choke it down……but…….I like to make all my foods look pretty! Makes it exciting!

Happy St. Patty’s Day!

19. Taste is much more important than looks, but pretty food definitely is more tempting.

20. Alyson says:

I haven’t treated myself to a parfait in quite sometime! 🙂 I think it might be time! 😉
    Yum!