Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Breakfast Polenta

Tired of Oatmeal?

Yes, the question is ridiculous. How could anyone tire of oatmeal, with its infinite flavor possibilities?

For endless oatmeal inspiration, see: My Oatmeal Recipes.

polenta for breakfast

Sometimes, however,  it’s good to have variety. And it’s always good to have polenta!

Brekkie Polenta
(Serves 1)

• 1/3 cup dry cornmeal (40g) (I use whole-grain)
  • 1 cup water or milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Optional: 1 tbsp coconut oil, cashew butter, or vegan butter
  • Optional: 2 tbsp creamer (such as Silk), or more if desired
  • sweetener (stevia, sugar, maple syrup, etc.) to taste

Measure your polenta, salt, and liquid into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to “low” and stir occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency. (About 5-ish minutes) I like to do this the night before, so breakfast comes together more quickly in the morning, but it’s not required. Right before eating, add all the desired optional ingredients and re-heat (or eat cold, if you’re crazy like me!).

For a savory version, see: Creamy Polenta for One.

polenta

If, after breakfast, you still crave polenta, you can always re-visit the grain for lunch or dinner:

polenta

Vegan Polenta Casserole

1. krickit6 says:

Breakfast 5 times a day?! Sign me up!! :-) :-) :-)

BTW: Yesterday’s post definitely was not show-offy; it was awesome! We’re all happy for you!! …and happy for everyone who has discovered the deliciousness of your recipes! :-)

2. I don’t think I will ever get tired of Oatmeal.. but I think this is defnitely worth a shot! Looks delish!

3. I never eat the same breakfast twice in a week!!!! For example, yesterday I had some bitter chocolate cakes with coconut butter :) and today I had some quinoa flakes! It was my first time trying them and I must say, I am not a big fan :( They just don’t have a great flavor! And when I tried to put raisons, cinnamon, and nuts in, it was just….well….weird :( Oh well! I’ll have another great breakfast tomorrow!

4. Flurina says:

I mostly have the same breakfast consisting of a cup of chocolatemilk (sorry, not yet a vegan but a vegitarien) with a large banana. :)

Somehow I’m afraid of trying out new things, but the Brekkie Polenta I definately want to try out, and that with non-dairy milk. 😀

5. I’ve been changing up my breakfast lately — usually I make smoothies but I’ve been having oatmeal more and more, and also eggs/toast or PB/banana toast, etc. Nothing too groundbreaking but it is nice to mix it up!

6. tired of oatmeal??? NEVER.

😉

7. McKella says:

I’ve been liking green smoothies for breakfast lately, my other standbys are oatmeal with a mashed banana, pb and cocoa powder or eggs and toast.

8. My blog definitely pushes me to get outside of any rut that I’m getting into – I couldn’t get away with posting pb oats every morning…nor would I want to!

9. i was totally thinking about how polenta would be a great breakki the other day! but i was too afraid to try it.. hehe.. i seriously LOVE oats— like LOVE! i eat them everyday unless ive got an early workout.. then i cnt cuz they sit too heavy in my tum tum!.. polenta is SO good though! ive only ever had it once- crazy, i know!

10. It depends on what I feel like at the time. I do tend to find something I really like and stick with it for a few days though – for instance I’ve had cookie dough oatmeal 4 times this week lol. I try to mix it up a little though so I’m getting some different stuff in and a variety of nutrients. But I have been known to eat breakkie for lunch, or dinner or even dessert if I feel like it :)

11. Tired of oatmeal???? Those are fightin’ words in my book!

No but seriously, I like the polenta idea. I’ve never been too thrilled with what I’ve made with it though.

12. YOU ARE SO SWEET Katie!! It did not sound AT ALL like you were bragigng!! That never even occured to me!! You shouldn’t take that back, and you should be PROUD of your acheievements!! Sharing them with us just means we can celebrate with you! 😀

I’ve never had polenta before…but I will buy some this week and try it cos I’ve tried SO many new things because of you, and have NEVER been disappointed! :)

13. Emily says:

I haven’t had polenta in forever! I’m definitely craving it now.

14. I’m an oats girl everyday for breakfast. I think that’s why I love breakfast for dinner so much. I just like starting my day with oatmeal. It varies in flavors, but it’s always oats.

15. you were soooo not bragging!
    i usually have a green smoothie for breakfast, but if i need something a little more filling i go for the oatmeal! i looove the idea of polenta for breakfast!

16. I am soooo buying polenta this weekend and I am super excited to give it a try!!!!

I usually eat an egg sandwhich for breakfast or if I have extra time Ill make some steel cut oats!!!

17. I have multiple breakfasts a day! (instead of regular meals– not very healthy I know) but usually the same old thing for my first breakfast- Bread! Never get tired of it!

Katie, do you eat yeasted bread? (not a busybody comment just curious because I love it and I love your website too)

1. Hmmm… I’m not sure! Is yeasted bread just bread that’s made with yeast? If so, yes I do! My mom makes an awesome homemade bread. Oh, and I’ve been wanting to make cinnamon rolls (with yeast) for a while, now!

18. Oh yes, I have regretted publishing posts before! But as long as I am being true to myself, I express it and try not to offend anyone in the process–not always easy! FWIW, I definitely don’t think you came across as bragging! You have done a wonderful thing.

I hardly ever eat the same thing every day, I love variety. :)

19. Jennifer JCD says:

That looks great!! I’ve always wondered what breakfast polenta was, and you’ve answered that question in the most delicious way possible. We’ll be trying this tonight for snack because I simply cannot wait until tomorrow morning!

We try to vary our breakfasts. Today we had toast with guacamole. Lots of good fats to keep us fueled for the day. Other days we have cold cereal (with more sliced fruit in the bowl than cereal), smoothies, oatmeal, and at the weekends we make pancakes, waffles, soups, and other delicious things. Yummy. Breakfast is my favourite meal!

20. Amanda says:

This looks and sounds really delicious! I usually rotate between oats, smoothies, and breakfast cookies during the week and then Sundays are always waffle Sundays! :)

21. I love polenta but never thought of it as a bfast foood mmm definitely giving it a try I always like to spice things up!

22. I really didn’t think it sounded like you were bragging at all! you seemed thankful:)
    I always have some combo of pb and banana, in oatmeal, on a bagel etc- and occasionally eggs!

23. I actually did tire of oatmeal! [Shocking, I know.] That vegan casserole looks amazing!

24. I love making different variations of oats everyday, so I doubt I’ll get sick of them 😛 Thanks to you I now make them “volumized”. Great tip!

25. Gen says:

I go on breakfast kicks….this week its your crepe cakes, sometimes its oatmeal, sometimes its grits, sometimes I’ll eat breakfast sammies w/ honey and cinnamon, really I’ll eat one thing until I get sick of it, and then find something else…hahahaha

26. Katherine (Raw Mom Hot Dog Kids) says:

You should not feel like a braggart at all! I adore your posts and you should feel proud of your accomplishments!

27. Moni'sMeals says:

great recipes!

I know what you are sayin and NO way did I take it that way. When your excited… BE EXCITED and it is something to be stoked on. My fan page is almost like at 160 (monica nelson health and fitness) or something so ROCK YOUR SUCCESS- it is awesome!
    I know what you mean though, “wait…what if people were to think…”

I say NOPE to that thought and BE THRILLED!
    xo

28. Veronica says:

Yes, I have had the exact same regret after publishing blogs and sometimes I will go back and change the wording so it doesn’t sound too braggy. Other times I allow myself to toot my own horn. But I really didn’t take what you said as a brag since you were genuinely happy and surprised by the number of “likers” you have. :) I’ve always liked the sound of breakfast polenta, thanks for reminding me of this concept! It’s really something I would like to try. I do tend to stick with one thing for breakfast or go back and forth between a few. Usually it’s eggs (from chickens raised humanely by personal friends that we go to Church with) and toast, cereal, or fruit and yogurt.

29. I’ve wanted to take posts back before, until I realize most people won’t remember the post after they comment. I mean, as bad as it sounds..we comment on tons of blogs a day, so while we’re focused on the post at hand..we usually don’t focus on it much after reading it, you know? Unless it’s something that really hits us hard.

Plus, it wasn;t bragging! You were just happy for yuorself and that’s perfectly fine. If someone thinks your bragging, then they’re just not able to share the happiness which is their fault, not something you should worry about.

30. This looks so creamy/delicious! I usually go on breakfast kicks where I’ll be into something and have it a few days in a row and then move onto a new concoction. It usually always involves oats though :)

31. Yum I love polenta! That rose in the picture is beautiful btw….reminds me of Summer!

32. I love polenta! Alas, I just can’t get tired of oatmeal…just enjoyed a nice bowl of whipped banana oats, yummers. For what it’s worth, I don’t think you were bragging at all — I think women are often shamed into thinking that they can’t own their success because other women might criticize them. And some will, but only out of jealousy. I think you’re awesome and I love that you own your success — sets a great example! xo

33. Jennifer says:

I am a massive creature of habit, I will usually eat the same thing every day (breakfast and/or lunch) until I just can’t fathom it any longer. And fortunately for me, that usually takes a long time. But, that being said, I can hardly wait to try the brekkie polenta. I might even try it for supper tonight :)

34. Dalai Lina says:

You didn’t come off anything but appreciative. And, seriously, how could anyone get tired of oatmeal!

35. Sarah says:

I will NEVER be tired of oatmeal but i sure do love polenta! I have never had it for breakfast so this could be fun!

36. shannonmarie says:

I’m a huge breakfast food fan. I could eat breakfast food any time of day.

37. I have overnight oats every morning and I’m still not sick of ’em!

38. Emilia says:

Oh Katie, I totally didn’t get the vibe that you were “showing off” in yesterday’s post. You’re such a sweetheart and I would NEVER think that of you! <3
    I love polenta for breakfast- esp topped with hummus, fresh basil and veggies 😉 I try to switch up my breakfasts so that it's not the same every morning!

39. I go in complete breakfast ruts for months at a time – but I don’t seem to mind for some reason! They usually alternate between a breakfast protein smoothie or oatmeal. Two great choices in my opinion :)

40. I love my oaties too much to switch it up lol Although I do go from hot to cold every often and your boatmeal gives me another awesome change up 😀

41. Hela says:

I am NEVER going to be bored of oatmeal! Never!! Though I vary my breakfast, but just because sometimes I feel like just fruits and other day I feel like a proper bfast, meaning yummi porridge or banana bread in a bowl!
    And also, I never will think you want to show off! You are such a sweet, caring person and I believe all of us readers know that, there is no way we could think you would simply showing off! And remember: it is YOUR blog, so you can do whatever you want to do! I know you don´t want to hurt people´s feelings, but just keep in mind, that it is your blog, it is about you!

42. Sharon F says:

Cookies for breakfast????? Whats not to like.

43. TFox says:

I like me some oatmeal or fruit for breakfast.

44. CF007 says:

I eat bran flakes or raisin just about every day.

45. bitt of raw says:

change it up for sure for breakfast. i don’t like to get bored. but i can get it ruts.

i didn’t take your comment as being show-off-ish but i always have in the back of my mind my own page and part of me is competitive like that. i know you are a fan and I appreciate it.

46. Oohhh, I’ve totally been on a polenta kick for dinner, but never even imagined I could eat it for brekkie! You totally just rocked my world, Katie! I will be trying this recipe as soon as I buy more corn meal (I’ve been eating a LOT of polenta lately).

47. No way should you feel bad about yesterday’s post! You’re just celebrating and it’s only fair that you let us celebrate with you!!

As for breakfast, I typically eat the same thing every day for a week and then change up for the next week. Mostly because I made big batches of tofu scramble or pancakes or whatever on the weekends and re-heat throughout the week.

48. I like to switch up my breakfasts…but I don’t do it often enough. Thanks for the inspiration!

49. Disturbed says:

Umm I have eaten the same breakfast for the past…two years?
    1 cup of bran flakes with 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk with 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and a little sprinkle of stevia.
    😀

50. I’m sure no one thought for a minute it was trying to show off; it was obviously just gratitude… you’re so lovely! I did the same with my last post; as soon as it was up, I thought someone might take it the wrong way and be offended… then I worrted for ages!

And I have had and liked polenta porridge but it’s got to be oats for me for the chew factor! I’ve been addicted to chia seed/coconut milk puddings, with banana or mango and oats, for breakfast for the last fortnight; it’s amazing :-)

51. Half my posts from the first year or 18 mos of my blog I want to take back! lol

I hate my pictures, I was too wordy, I was too re-linky, but it’s all a learning curve and I never thought twice about your post from yesterday. Would never even have noticed it til you said something…which is why I recently posted about using recycled pics…most ppl don’t know/notice unless you actually mention it I think.

52. I can NEVER eat the same foods for breakfast all the time. I get bored! I don’t know how people do that haha

53. Oh my gosh! The LAST thing I ever think about you is that you are bragging. You ALWAYS come across as genuine, respectful, and grateful – as evidenced by the fact that you respond to SO many comments. No worries or regrets about your post needed – When I read it, I thought, “Awe, that’s sweet that she is thanking everyone for liking her page.” :)

54. I seriously did not get even the slightest impression that you were trying to show off in your last post. I was excited just like you! I really don’t think you need to feel bad – we all love you and think you’re one of the sweetest people EVER! I’m almost positive that none of us thought you were trying to show off 😀

I get in an oatmeal rut pretty often and loooove it, but I have to admit that it’s fun to change it up! And your polenta looks like the PERFECT way to do it! 😀 Thanks as always for another fantastic recipe!! I made you carrot cake in a bowl this morning and ahhhhh!!!! It was BETTER than carrot cake!!! I’m thinking I’m going to be in a carrot cake in a bowl rut pretty soon 😉

<3 x 100000!!!

55. Amanda Z says:

Yesterday’s post was awesome. You do such a great job with this blog. I’m not so much into facebook (don’t have an account) but if I was, I would definitely “like” you! I also appreciate your responding to my comment yesterday. As a blog enthusiast, it’s nice to feel like a part of the community every once in awhile, even if I don’t have a blog. And I love your recipes – I’ve been gathering all the ingredients for your vegan lentil curry and I plan to make it this weekend!

56. I could never be bored of oatmeal, but this looks amazing! The key to loving oatmeal every day is changing up the toppings- there are endless possibilities!

57. Gurrrrl… I didn’t think you were showing off at all. I was just praying to win! :)

I could eat breakfast for every meal too. Sometimes I do…

58. BroccoliHut says:

Ah man, I NEVER have the same thing for breakfast in the same week–breakfast gets my culinary creativity flowing:)

59. Elle says:

I don’t eat the same breakfast every day. I would die of boredom!

I never thought of having polenta for breakfast. I usually bake my corneal into ‘johnny cake’ or use it as a base for pasta sauce. Looks good though.

60. Tara says:

Oh my gosh don’t be so bashful! You deserve the blog love. You are seriously the sweetest blogger out there! I don’t just congratulate you because everyone else is, every word I write in my comments are honest and I really believe you should be proud of your blog!

That breakfast polenta would be soooo good with blueberries and maple syrup. It’s must try!

1. Sarah says:

Oh wow that DOES sound good!! Yumm.

61. Ohmygosh! I am with you! Breakfast five times a day would be the best thing EVER!!!! We should make that a law. :)

62. Kristie says:

Girl you DESERVE to brag. Keep it up! You do amazing things and should be 100% proud of yourself, no hesitations.

I probably switch up my breakfast every day. I’m a fan of variety. Though even though my breakfasts have been differently daily, they haven’t been overly exciting lately… I think I need to pull out some CCK breakfasts this week!

63. You always have the best recipes :)

And yes, I have wanted to take back a pot or two…

64. Christina says:

i love polenta porridge! My mum used to make it for us when we were kids..nice and hot and steaming drizzled with honey….

Yesterday’s post was not showing off!

65. I eat the same thing and think it’s a way of cutting out the stress of worrying about food rather than getting bored. I always want to take my posts back/delete my blog; you shouldn’t!

66. Wow… that creamy polenta sounds absolutely delicious! I’m definitely going to have to give that one a shot! I have a FB page.. you can search Purple Bird Blog and find it… I’d be honored if you’d like it! :)

67. kspar66 says:

thanks for this recipe, katie, I’m gonna make this for brekkie 2morrow!

68. Aisha says:

ive made this prior to finding it here, ya’ll gotta try it with blueberries , its really awesome !! i eat it with chopsticks and if u refrigerate it its like a cake lol

69. Nikki says:

I like to make savory oatmeal, mixed with spinach and vegan cheese.
    That mix would be fantastic in polenta! Thanks so much for the idea!