Breakfast Polenta

Tired of Oatmeal?

Yes, the question is ridiculous. How could anyone tire of oatmeal, with its infinite flavor possibilities?

For endless oatmeal inspiration, see: My Oatmeal Recipes.

polenta for breakfast

Sometimes, however,  it’s good to have variety. And it’s always good to have polenta!

Brekkie Polenta
(Serves 1)

• 1/3 cup dry cornmeal (40g) (I use whole-grain)
  • 1 cup water or milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Optional: 1 tbsp coconut oil, cashew butter, or vegan butter
  • Optional: 2 tbsp creamer (such as Silk), or more if desired
  • sweetener (stevia, sugar, maple syrup, etc.) to taste

Measure your polenta, salt, and liquid into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to “low” and stir occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency. (About 5-ish minutes) I like to do this the night before, so breakfast comes together more quickly in the morning, but it’s not required. Right before eating, add all the desired optional ingredients and re-heat (or eat cold, if you’re crazy like me!).

For a savory version, see: Creamy Polenta for One.

polenta

If, after breakfast, you still crave polenta, you can always re-visit the grain for lunch or dinner:

polenta

Vegan Polenta Casserole

Tags: , , , ,

1. krickit6 says:

Breakfast 5 times a day?! Sign me up!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

BTW: Yesterday’s post definitely was not show-offy; it was awesome! We’re all happy for you!! …and happy for everyone who has discovered the deliciousness of your recipes! 🙂

2. I don’t think I will ever get tired of Oatmeal.. but I think this is defnitely worth a shot! Looks delish!

3. Flurina says:

I mostly have the same breakfast consisting of a cup of chocolatemilk (sorry, not yet a vegan but a vegitarien) with a large banana. 🙂

Somehow I’m afraid of trying out new things, but the Brekkie Polenta I definately want to try out, and that with non-dairy milk. 😀

4. McKella says:

I’ve been liking green smoothies for breakfast lately, my other standbys are oatmeal with a mashed banana, pb and cocoa powder or eggs and toast.

5. i was totally thinking about how polenta would be a great breakki the other day! but i was too afraid to try it.. hehe.. i seriously LOVE oats— like LOVE! i eat them everyday unless ive got an early workout.. then i cnt cuz they sit too heavy in my tum tum!.. polenta is SO good though! ive only ever had it once- crazy, i know!

6. Tired of oatmeal???? Those are fightin’ words in my book!

No but seriously, I like the polenta idea. I’ve never been too thrilled with what I’ve made with it though.

7. YOU ARE SO SWEET Katie!! It did not sound AT ALL like you were bragigng!! That never even occured to me!! You shouldn’t take that back, and you should be PROUD of your acheievements!! Sharing them with us just means we can celebrate with you! 😀

I’ve never had polenta before…but I will buy some this week and try it cos I’ve tried SO many new things because of you, and have NEVER been disappointed! 🙂

8. Emily says:

I haven’t had polenta in forever! I’m definitely craving it now.

9. I’m an oats girl everyday for breakfast. I think that’s why I love breakfast for dinner so much. I just like starting my day with oatmeal. It varies in flavors, but it’s always oats.

10. you were soooo not bragging!
    i usually have a green smoothie for breakfast, but if i need something a little more filling i go for the oatmeal! i looove the idea of polenta for breakfast!

11. I am soooo buying polenta this weekend and I am super excited to give it a try!!!!

I usually eat an egg sandwhich for breakfast or if I have extra time Ill make some steel cut oats!!!

12. I have multiple breakfasts a day! (instead of regular meals– not very healthy I know) but usually the same old thing for my first breakfast- Bread! Never get tired of it!

Katie, do you eat yeasted bread? (not a busybody comment just curious because I love it and I love your website too)

1. Hmmm… I’m not sure! Is yeasted bread just bread that’s made with yeast? If so, yes I do! My mom makes an awesome homemade bread. Oh, and I’ve been wanting to make cinnamon rolls (with yeast) for a while, now!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

That looks great!! I’ve always wondered what breakfast polenta was, and you’ve answered that question in the most delicious way possible. We’ll be trying this tonight for snack because I simply cannot wait until tomorrow morning!

We try to vary our breakfasts. Today we had toast with guacamole. Lots of good fats to keep us fueled for the day. Other days we have cold cereal (with more sliced fruit in the bowl than cereal), smoothies, oatmeal, and at the weekends we make pancakes, waffles, soups, and other delicious things. Yummy. Breakfast is my favourite meal!

14. Amanda says:

This looks and sounds really delicious! I usually rotate between oats, smoothies, and breakfast cookies during the week and then Sundays are always waffle Sundays! 🙂

15. I love polenta but never thought of it as a bfast foood mmm definitely giving it a try I always like to spice things up!

16. I really didn’t think it sounded like you were bragging at all! you seemed thankful:)
    I always have some combo of pb and banana, in oatmeal, on a bagel etc- and occasionally eggs!

17. I actually did tire of oatmeal! [Shocking, I know.] That vegan casserole looks amazing!

18. I love making different variations of oats everyday, so I doubt I’ll get sick of them 😛 Thanks to you I now make them “volumized”. Great tip!

19. Gen says:

I go on breakfast kicks….this week its your crepe cakes, sometimes its oatmeal, sometimes its grits, sometimes I’ll eat breakfast sammies w/ honey and cinnamon, really I’ll eat one thing until I get sick of it, and then find something else…hahahaha

20. Katherine (Raw Mom Hot Dog Kids) says:

You should not feel like a braggart at all! I adore your posts and you should feel proud of your accomplishments!