Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Want to meet my special friend?

Good morning, and Happy Sunday!

Does anyone else equate Sundays with pancake-eating?

Because I don’t like to be bothered cooking elaborate breakfasts in the morning, I often cook my pancakes up ahead of time. (I’ll usually make multiple batches and freeze the extras.) This morning, when I came in from running, here’s what was all ready for me:

Banana Pancakes for One

Despite the “for one” in the title, I did not consume these pancakes completely by myself. The following adorable little helper snatched a bite:

Meet Woody, the Meyer’s Parrot.

I’m bird-sitting for the weekend, and I’ve had so much fun with this gal. (Woody’s actually a girl.) She’ll sit on my finger, say “pretty bird,” and she even eats my food! Besides a small bite of pancake, I’ve also fed her a pepper from last night’s stir fry, some raw carrot, and even oatmeal! Woody likes all the foods I like—grains, nuts, vegetables, fruits… everything but chocolate. (So sad, chocolate is bad for birds!)

Not everyone’s a fan…

Who’s not thrilled with out houseguest? Henry.

He’s 1/2 Jack Russell, which is supposed to be a bird dog. But Henry’s other half is made up of cat. Fraidy cat, to be exact! The little guy has spent the entire weekend hiding in the closet. (Before we rescued Henry, he was abused as a puppy, so many things still scare him.)

woody 2

Hermit crabs, hamsters, fish…

Have you ever owned a pet other than a dog?

In my lifetime, I’ve shared a home with all of the above, as well as rabbits, a lizard, and a Quaker Parrot. (By the way, Quaker Parrots are the best pets ever!!)

Don’t forget:

Be sure to enter the Funfetti Giveaway
If it gets up to 700 comments, I’ll pick three winners Smile.

1. Freya says:

Arh! Birds creep me out :/ I think Henry is doing the right thing, embracing his inner scaredy cat-ness!
    I’ve owned: dogs, horses, cats, guniea pigs, goats, fish, rats, hamsters (x 7), rabbits…I think that’s it….

1. Freya says:

OH and my dad used to breed chickens and worms!

2. Anne says:

What fun to have such a cute houseguest. When I was little, I owned white mice. They were so cute and fun. But when they started eating their babies, that was it for me! More recently we owned a pair of white doves that my son used in magic routines. When he went off to college, the doves found a home with an “aviary lady” who is still treating them very well.

3. Camille says:

What a cutie! Pretty bird, indeed. 🙂
    I always grew up with dogs, but after bringing my little fuzz kitten in to my life, I am a full blown cat person. She is just the best thing ever.

4. Elle says:

Wow! Woody is gorgeous. In my life I have been blessed with dogs, cats, turtles, chamelions, guineau pigs, hamsters and fish. Never a bird, though.

Saturday is pancake day in our house. We had some to fuel yesterday’s run. With lots of fresh strawberries sliced on top.

5. Lauren says:

Aww what a pretty bird!!! I used to have a parakeet in high school, birds can be so sweet! I also used to have lots of fish, but they all died on me… 🙁

6. Ahh yes, I’ve had hamsters, hermit crabs, goldfish, guinea pigs.. none every lasted as long as my pups though!
    When our hamster died when my brother and I were younger, my parents didn’t want us to be sad.. so they quickly ran to the pet store and bought Harry the Second. The original Harry was so nice and sweet.. but this new guy… he was nasty..bit all the time.. definitely not the Harry my brother and I knew. Our parents had to tell us the truth…

1. We did that, once when we were pet-sitting an iguana and it died on us. (Totally not our fault lol!) We did tell the parents about the switch, but the little girl (who was three?) never knew.

7. Aww Woody is adorable! I use to have love birds and finches and one dog. I had to get rid of the love bird because it was well less than friendly. It ended up killing another one of our other birds 🙁

8. Dalai Lina says:

I’m having horrible flashbacks to bird sitting my friend’s feathered monster for 6 months. That this was psychotic and I am scarred for life. You are a good woman.

9. Shannon says:

I actually own two budgies in addition to my puppy–Blue and Roxy. We’ve always been a bird family. It was actually interesting watching Bailey get used to the birds flying around. She kind of thinks they’re toys so we have to be careful.

1. I was afraid Henry would want to eat the bird!

10. Jenny says:

I don’t usually equate Sundays with pancake-eating, but lately I have – simply because of all the awesome pancake recipes on blogs like yours! I made your Oatmeal Cookie Crepe Cakes… I completely botched the first one, ending up with a delicious blob from a failed flipping attempt. XD They were delicious though!

I’ve owned loooads of pets aside from a dog. I’ve had budgies (that one’s not unusual though), turtles, snapping turtles, two parrots, cockatiels, a cockatoo, an iguana, a bearded dragon, a chameleon, and a monitor lizard. My mom and I love animals! 🙂

1. Hahaha sometimes the ugliest blobs taste the best!

1. Jenny says:

Haha yup! Sad, but true, fact of life~

11. aHAHAH a parrot must be SO much fun!! does he make weird noises?? i remember my friends parrot would not shut up all night — but he was too cute!

where did sundays and pancakes originate?! i see it ALL over blogworld.. yet iv never heard of it! no complaints though……

1. Luckily, Woody is very quiet… almost too quiet. She only knows a few words. My old parrot, Martese, was SUPER-loud! Seriously, loudest pet ever!

12. Melanie says:

I’ve had: dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, fish, an iguana, a chameleon, a bearded dragon, and a garter snake.

And I made your red velvet pancakes yesterday (sans food coloring) topped with ricemellow. OMG yum!

1. Oh wow, that sounds good! I really wish we could buy ricemellow over here!

13. VeggieGirl says:

Aww cute bird!!! And Deeeelicious pancakes.

14. Aww what a beautiful bird! That’s funny cuz Woody is my boyfriend’s name. Well, it’s actually his nickname (because his last name is Woodard) but that’s still pretty funny 🙂

1. LOL! It’s a terrible name for a girl… but they didn’t know she was a she when they named her!

15. Chelsea says:

I used to own a sugar glider! Coolest pets everrr 🙂

16. Gen says:

Those pancakes look fabulous!!!
    I’ve had a dog (my parents bought him when they got married…so he was almost 8 when I was born!), two cats (one that I loved and one that I don’t), and a couple of fish!

17. hippierunner says:

Haha, I couldn’t wait and had pancakes last night for dinner! Woody is so adorable, really makes me miss all my parrots back home. We’ve had a ton of pet birds, once there was even a school field trip to my house to visit all the parrots we had lol.

18. Emily says:

Those pancakes look yummy! I’ve had cats and dogs as pets, nothing too exotic!

19. Lisa says:

i had no idea you could freeze already made pancakes! what a good idea. and since I like bananas, im sure ill like banana pancakes…. 😉

20. Stefanie says:

She is a pretty bird. My past animals include hamsters, gerbils, mice, and rats. I now have 2 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 2 cats, and a goldfish. I wish I could add a horse and goat to the list but that is not practicle right now.

Yummy looking pancakes. 🙂