Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

World’s Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies?

healthy chocolate chip cookies!

Cookie Monster! The other day, I got an urge to make chocolate cookies. However, the only recipe I’d ever created was for Cookie Dough Balls.

So I turned to Google. The good ole search engine led me to a recipe on Post Punk Kitchen that used oat flour instead of all-purpose. Sounded good… except it also called for chia seeds and flax meal, neither or which I had on hand. So I decided to wing it, as usual.

I’m calling these healthy cookies “Not Guilty”s for two reasons: The first is that, besides being whole-grain, they’re also lower in sugar and oil than your average chocolate-chip cookie. Secondly, I don’t think a person should ever feel guilty when eating cookies, especially if they contain chocolate! Associating guilt with food just doesn’t sit well with me.

For my thoughts on food and guilt, see the following post: Diet is not Religion.

(Lucky for you, I did spare you from my ridiculous idea to do a photo-shoot with the cookies behind bars.)

vegan chocolate chip cookies

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup flour (I used 70g oat flour. You can use all-purpose or spelt, or Bob's gf.)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • up to 1/3 cup chocolate chips, depending on your preference
  • 2 tbsp (20g) brown sugar or coconut sugar. For sugar-free cookies, try this recipe: Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 tbsp evaporated cane juice or white sugar (Omit only if you have no sweet tooth) (24g)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp (12g) vegetable or coconut oil (or pre-melted margarine)
  • 1-3 tbsp milk of choice, as needed (15-45g)
Yield: Makes 7-10 cookies

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix your dry ingredients, then add in wet. Form cookies and bake 6-7 minutes. Take out when still underdone–they’ll continue to cook while cooling, and so you don’t want them to get hard. And if you want super-soft cookies, fridge the dough after rolling into balls. Then cook them after the dough is cold. They’d probably work with whole-wheat-pastry flour too, but I haven’t tried. Feeling decadent? Add some peanut butter! UPDATE! For a larger-serving recipe, see: Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

*View Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies Nutrition Facts*

Link of the Day: Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip.

Do you ever feel guilty for things you shouldn’t?
Such as eating too many cookies, saying no to favors, or taking time for yourself? I feel guilty that I can’t save the world. Every time I see one of those magazine advertisements of a child with a cleft palate, I feel so guilty turning the page. Same thing when I see a “sponsor a child” ad on tv. For ten years, I’ve sponsored one child. But I want to help them all. And then there’s the turmoil in Japan. Not to mention sweat shops, genocide, world hunger…

Want more cookie recipes?
Feel free to browse: Over 50 Healthy Cookie Recipes

Tags: , , ,

1. Heather says:

What a great recipe! I do feel guilty about all of the things you mentioned, but I am working on it! Life is to be enjoyed!

2. Oh wow these look delicious! They look a lot like the cookies my mom makes in that they look cake-like, which I love (as opposed to really chewey or hard and crispy cookies)! Thanks for the healthy recipe!

3. Elizabeth says:

Wow I’m so going to make these! I feel guilty when I feel too full, even if it’s from only healthy foods. I also feel guilty of not helping others. I want to donate blood but I’m very queezy about blood. I also wish I could do more for animals. My best friend today told me she doesn’t care about animals, only humans. That broke my heart:( I hope to do something for there welfare someday.

1. 🙁 well maybe your sweetness will, in time, rub off on her!

4. Samantha says:

I recently made the CCC from Post Punk’s site and they turned out fab, I did end up changing it … dramatically ( …Chewy Banana Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies) but they turned out amaziiiiing!

I … tend to not feel so guilty when I overindulge because I know I HOPEFULLY will not do so the next day, and everything is okay once in a while… and you make it up + exercise… as you said should never feel guilty with food.

1. I love the lavender chip idea. So fun!

5. Awww beautiful cookies wrapped up in a little blue ribbon 🙂 You are too cute. I feel guilty that I can’t save the world too. But at least we can try! Just doing small things helps a lot, like your amazing bake sale for Japan! I try not to feel guilty about the foods I eat. I tend to keep a healthy balance. If I eat too many cookies or sweets, I may feel guilty for a minute but then I just gently remind myself that it’s ok 🙂

6. Val says:

That cookie dough dip looks amazing!!

Also this morning I happened to stumble across a banana date cake recipe. It reminded you of your blog post yesterday. If you’re interested I’ll sent it you!

1. Val says:

4 very ripe medium bananas
        4 ounces of dates (about 8 large) pitted and roughly chopped
        1/2 cup light coconut milk
        2 tablespoons water
        2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
        1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Preheat over to 375 F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.

In large bowl, whisk together cocoa, both flours, salt and baking powder and baking soda. Whisk thoroughly to eliminate any bumps. Set aside.

Add bananas, dates, coconut milk, water and vanilla to a blender. Blend until dates are chopped very small and the mixture is thick and smooth (about 1 full minute, or more).

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the banana mixture. Fold wet ingredients into dry until just combined, making sure not to overwork the batter.

Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
        Bake until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Let cake cool in baking pan on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely. Peel parchment paper off and cut unto squares for serving. Wrap any remaining cake tightly and store at room temperature of refrigerator.

makes 12 servings.

Nutrition per serving (1/12 of cake): 170 calories (30 from fat), 3.5g total fat, 1.5 saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 34g total carbs (5g fiber, 13g sugar), 3g protein.

I haven’t tried this yet but when I saw it I thought you might like it. I hope its good (hopefully as good as the one you bought haha). It also doesn’t have any added sugar!
        I’ll probably try this sometime soon. If you try it before me, let me know how it turns out!!

1. Oh my gosh, Val, thank you!!! This sounds perfect!

1. And if you try it first, let me know too! 😉

7. Love the recipe! I also just adore your pics. I could learn a thing or two from your picture-taking skills. I feel you on the guilt factor. Although sometimes I feel guilty for more selfish reasons…like this morning when I skipped my run. I felt mucho guilty! Also yesterday I took a sick day. I felt guilty again! I am perpetually feeling guilty 🙂

1. Wow, thank you so much, Jamie!!! You made my day :).

8. Lenna says:

I used to feel guilty for eating animals, so I stopped. Now I feel guilty when I have to to anyone asking for anything. I am actually saying “Yes, for sure” even when the person haven´t asked for the favor yet. I am like the Yes – man, only I am a woman:)

9. Mariah@ Apples"N" Oats says:

these look amazing and i love that you made the batch the perfect size!
    i feel guilty ALL the time when I overindulge and especially when i see the ASPCA commercials with all the poor animals…it makes me so frusterated that I’m not doing anything to save them all!

10. Holly @ The Runny Egg says:

Those look so good Katie — and I’d like to see the pictures of the cookies behind bars and then being freed since they are not guilty. That is hilarious.

I feel guilty when I feel like I can’t help someone — seeing someone on the side of the road with car trouble, someone stuck in the snow (happens in MN all the time!), a person asking for money on a street corner. I tend to freeze in those situations because I want to help but I don’t know if I can/should. And I’ve watched too much tv and I think that they are all situations where someone is trying to rob me. Sad, I know.

1. Sarah says:

Hahahaha, me, too.

1. anita says:

Who cares if they are scamming you or not. Do the right thing. I ran into this situation yesterday, I only had a twenty in my purse… I gave it to him! If it was a scam.. oh well , I tried to help someone, and I like to think that if they are scammers, it makes them stop and think a moment and if not I helped someone and that is the important thing… pass it on! 🙂

11. YUM!!!!! I LOVE YOUR COOKIES!!! 😀 Katie, you come up with the BEST recipes!!! I just tried your boatmeal and OH MY GOSH!!!! I LOVE IT! 😀

12. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Hehe….I love it when you write about your “non-sweet” tooth-so funny….

But Katie, you are the sweetest person in the world! Just helping one little child means so much to him/her. Just think of the difference you made in her/his life! If we could all help just one person, the world would be so much better 🙂

1. I had to put that in as a disclaimer, b/c if people w/ normal tastebuds omitted the sugar, they’d prolly spit those cookies right out LOL!

13. Lisa says:

uh… yum!! how big are they, about? or how big did you make them?
    i think im going to make these- and use coconut milk 🙂

1. It depends on how many you want to make… really, you can make them any size! LOL maybe even jumbo sized, like a cookie cake?!

1. “Jumbo” – that rocks 🙂

1. Lisa says:

YES jumbo sounds good. for one (me) of course 😉

14. Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) says:

Your pictures are gorgeous!! SO detailed! I am definitely making these soon – maybe even tonight. 🙂

15. Jeska says:

Oh, Katie *hugs*

Painful though it is, you can’t save everyone. No one can. You are already such an amazing person in all you do. I literally get in, check Facebook, check this site. You do enough, promise!

As I am in recovery for AN, I feel guilty a LOT of the time. For eating/ not eating/ not excercising/ not trying hard enough in school/ being a bad friend/ not doing more to help others/ neglecting things and people/ losing interest in passions… sigh. But never mind, this kind of site makes food seem more normal and good and not-scary, and that’s one thing less to feel bad about!

*hugs again for good measure*

1. Aww chocolate hugs back! 😉

16. Oh my goodness this is my new favorite blog!! Healthy + chocolate = yes please!

17. bitt of raw says:

I agree we need to have less guilt in life. It’s just no fun living with guilt, but I still do it. I feel it even passed on from my ancestors. Deep guilt. I don’t often feel guilty about food because I usually make healthy choices, even if I do like dessert.

No sweet tooth??? What???!! Or do you mean you just don’t like your sweets too sweet. I am like that too.

1. I don’t have a sweet tooth in that I don’t like candy and like my sweet foods with very little sugar… but I ADORE chocolate. So I’m big on dessert (and eat it multiple times a day). But it’s just more RICH than sweet :).

1. bitt of raw says:

I thought that’s maybe what you meant, I am similar. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my aunt told me I had a sweet tooth. I said “I think its this one,” and pointed to one of my front teeth, because that one hurt when I ate too much sugar. 🙂

18. Katie, you’re so lovely! Look at your bake sale for Japan; all the money it raised, all through your hard work. And the cards, and your volunteering… you do so, so much!
    And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blogger link back to a recipe of yours that you haven’t commented on AND you’ve shared these cookies 🙂

19. You have absolutely nada to feel guilty about, Sweet Katie! I know you know that deep down, right?! 🙂 These cookies look awesome, and I like the healthy twist. I can’t wait till I’m back in my kitchen and can try making ’em (still traveling…hard to bake with basically no ingredients on hand..!) You’re amazing! xo

20. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says:

For the first couple months of doing yoga, I felt so guilty turning my phone off for an hour and a half and coming back to all these work related messages and texts. Now, a year later, I do not feel guilty at all for taking an hour and a half per day to have to myself to do yoga. And I never feel guilty for indulging in anything; the key for me is little indulgences, not full on binge fests. Bingeing = guilt and no one should ever have to feel that.