Dessert Loaves and Doughnuts

A tale of two baking pans…

I discovered that if you cook the Single-Lady Cupcake in a mini-loaf pan, you can transform a cupcake into a dessert loaf… for one, of course!

loaf

Yay! It’s a true Banana Bread for One.

(Not that banana bread for more than one is ever a bad thing…)

loaf2

My other favorite use for the mini-loaf pan would be for cooking baked oatmeal cakes.

baked-oatmeal

Such as the above Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal Cake.

To summarize? If you can get your hands on a mini loaf pan, you should do it! (They’re not expensive; I think mine was all of five dollars at the grocery store.)

Now, for Pan #2

doughnut

A doughnut pan!! *Super excited face* So now the burning (well, hopefully not burning!) question is…

What flavor doughnut should I make first?

At the moment, I’m leaning towards this flavor.
Oh yes, I’m going there!

Tags:

1. Let’s not kid ourselves, the icing is the most important decision!

1. I fully support that statement 🙂

2. Kate says:

I love those pans they are so amazing!!!!!!!

2. I LOVE banana bread.. well everything bananas. Thanks for the post 🙂

3. Kara says:

You look so pretty in that pic with the doughnut pan! 🙂
    And I wanna see some chocolate fudge doughnuts! Or pumpkin pie, but maybe not now that it’s warm weather. It’d be outta place.

4. I NEED a donut pan so badly! I’ve put it off long enough. HHMMM I’m a fan of a good old fashioned donut!

5. Maya says:

CHOCOLATE funfetti. With chocolate frosting. Or maybe PB frosting??

6. Emily says:

So is a baked donut just like a round cupcake? What makes it a donut? Whatever you make, just be sure to add sprinkles!

1. Hmmm… ya know, I don’t know! I guess the hole in the middle?

7. I WANT A MINI LOAF PAN!!!!!!!! and mini donut pans! lucky duck!! whatever flavor it is.. it must include chocolate and must be slathered all over with peanut butter! 😀

8. Lisa Fine says:

Chocolate, of course! (Maybe with a chocolate glaze to top it off.)

When you eat your baked oatmeals, do you top them with anything, like nut butter or fruit?

1. You can, or you can leave them plain. It depends on the flavor and your preference! They taste yummy, either way :).

9. Jennifer JCD says:

The first thing that came to my mind was cake batter too, with all the colourful sprinkles! Have fun!

10. Emilie says:

I am so glad I’m not the only one who get cooking/baking supplies for Easter (and every other holiday). This year I got parchment paper and those silicon baking cups with feet! http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Silly-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBQFKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1304001243&sr=8-1

Good luck on your new doughnut adventure 🙂

1. LOL I’ve seen those adorable things!

11. Gahh I want a donut pan soooo badly!!!!! I’m a lover of chocolate donuts!…. and blueberry cake donuts too!!!

12. Susan says:

I’m new to your blog. But I have to just say…I love it!! I have an incurable sweet tooth, which I constantly struggle to incorporate into my fitness-focused lifestyle. I find if I ignore it, then things get ugly. So I’m constantly looking for interesting, health-as-possible options to keep me happy. Your blog is full of them! And I love the ‘single serving’ approach you take in many of your recipes. Having too many sweets hanging around my house is not good. So single servings are perfect. Keep up the great work!

1. Awww thank you for your sweet comment, Susan! I’m hoping to get another single-lady recipe up tomorrow!

13. SO JEALOUS!! I’d love to have a mini loaf or donut pan, or just look like a model when I’m holding one *cough KATIE cough*! 🙂

OOOOH yes cake batter flavour would be AMAZING!! Or cookie dough!! Or PB chocolate!! I could go on forever here! 😛

1. See what you’re missing by being over there? How many times do I hafta tell you to get your butt to Tx? 😉

14. I absolutely adore your creativity in the kitchen! I’m quite creative as well…but my ideas rarely “pan out” (no pun intended). Yours on the other hand are brilliant. Anyway, as for doughnut flavor…hmmmm, what about like peanut butter, honey and banana? You could make an Elvis doughnut! I need to get a mini loaf pan ASAP because a) I’m single and b) I always eat the whole batch 😉

15. Amanda says:

My vote goes for “sour cream”! It would be a great opportunity to use your homemade greek yogurt to make tangy donuts.

16. karla says:

I second the cinnamon idea! I used to LOVE cinnamon sugar donuts. (I’ve been able to control myself recently ;-). Were you planning on a raised or more of a cake donut?

ooh, you could also try a banana bread donut! o.O Good luck, can’t wait to read about it. 🙂

1. Hmm… I guess I’m just going to be surprised with whatever result I get! I’ve never made doughnuts before (except for zeppoli, which are Italian doughnut holes).

17. Mm, delicious! I love my mini loaf pan. 🙂 That donut pan is adorable!! I like your idea for cake batter ones. 🙂

18. Kim says:

Hahaha, donuts with sprinkles on the inside? I find that funny:P Go for it. Honestly my absolute favourite flavour of donut is the one called “old-fashioned” at Timmy’s that has just a hint of nutmeg. But then I’m crazy about nutmeg so I’m biased.

I’m excited to see what comes out of this experiment!

1. LOL I loathe nutmeg! Maybe you got my extra “nutmeg-loving” gene?

19. Dude, where did you find the donut pan?! I’ve been looking for one! I NEED to make donuts. You should make single-lady donuts!

1. Tom Thumb, of all places! LOL
      (the grocery store… not sure if you have Tom Thumbs… I think it’s a Safeway chain)