Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Dessert Loaves and Doughnuts

A tale of two baking pans…

I discovered that if you cook the Single-Lady Cupcake in a mini-loaf pan, you can transform a cupcake into a dessert loaf… for one, of course!

Yay! It’s a true Banana Bread for One.

(Not that banana bread for more than one is ever a bad thing…)

My other favorite use for the mini-loaf pan would be for cooking baked oatmeal cakes.

Such as the above Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal Cake.

To summarize? If you can get your hands on a mini loaf pan, you should do it! (They’re not expensive; I think mine was all of five dollars at the grocery store.)

Now, for Pan #2

A doughnut pan!! *Super excited face* So now the burning (well, hopefully not burning!) question is…

What flavor doughnut should I make first?

At the moment, I’m leaning towards this flavor.
Oh yes, I’m going there!

1. Let’s not kid ourselves, the icing is the most important decision!

1. I fully support that statement :)

2. Kate says:

I love those pans they are so amazing!!!!!!!

2. I LOVE banana bread.. well everything bananas. Thanks for the post :)

3. Kara says:

You look so pretty in that pic with the doughnut pan! :)
    And I wanna see some chocolate fudge doughnuts! Or pumpkin pie, but maybe not now that it’s warm weather. It’d be outta place.

4. I NEED a donut pan so badly! I’ve put it off long enough. HHMMM I’m a fan of a good old fashioned donut!

5. Maya says:

CHOCOLATE funfetti. With chocolate frosting. Or maybe PB frosting??

6. Emily says:

So is a baked donut just like a round cupcake? What makes it a donut? Whatever you make, just be sure to add sprinkles!

1. Hmmm… ya know, I don’t know! I guess the hole in the middle?

7. I WANT A MINI LOAF PAN!!!!!!!! and mini donut pans! lucky duck!! whatever flavor it is.. it must include chocolate and must be slathered all over with peanut butter! 😀

8. Lisa Fine says:

Chocolate, of course! (Maybe with a chocolate glaze to top it off.)

When you eat your baked oatmeals, do you top them with anything, like nut butter or fruit?

1. You can, or you can leave them plain. It depends on the flavor and your preference! They taste yummy, either way :).

9. Jennifer JCD says:

The first thing that came to my mind was cake batter too, with all the colourful sprinkles! Have fun!

10. AHHHHH! I want a donut pan so badly!!! It looks like fun :) Since you are chocolate covered Kate, you should totally make a chocolate covered donut. Just sayin’ 😛

11. Emilie says:

I am so glad I’m not the only one who get cooking/baking supplies for Easter (and every other holiday). This year I got parchment paper and those silicon baking cups with feet!

Good luck on your new doughnut adventure :)

1. LOL I’ve seen those adorable things!

12. Honestly I just love cinnamon donuts so I’d love to see you make that flavor. But cake batter is a good option too!

13. Gahh I want a donut pan soooo badly!!!!! I’m a lover of chocolate donuts!…. and blueberry cake donuts too!!!

14. Kate says:

I love mini-loaf pans so much! My favourite donuts ever were the glazed ones with chocolate frosting and sprinkles of course.

Did you know the Dalai Lama is coming to Dallas (SMU)? I think that would be so much fun!

1. I did! Tickets are sold out, but we have another chance May third!

15. Susan says:

I’m new to your blog. But I have to just say…I love it!! I have an incurable sweet tooth, which I constantly struggle to incorporate into my fitness-focused lifestyle. I find if I ignore it, then things get ugly. So I’m constantly looking for interesting, health-as-possible options to keep me happy. Your blog is full of them! And I love the ‘single serving’ approach you take in many of your recipes. Having too many sweets hanging around my house is not good. So single servings are perfect. Keep up the great work!

1. Awww thank you for your sweet comment, Susan! I’m hoping to get another single-lady recipe up tomorrow!

16. SO JEALOUS!! I’d love to have a mini loaf or donut pan, or just look like a model when I’m holding one *cough KATIE cough*! :)

OOOOH yes cake batter flavour would be AMAZING!! Or cookie dough!! Or PB chocolate!! I could go on forever here! 😛

1. See what you’re missing by being over there? How many times do I hafta tell you to get your butt to Tx? 😉

17. I absolutely adore your creativity in the kitchen! I’m quite creative as well…but my ideas rarely “pan out” (no pun intended). Yours on the other hand are brilliant. Anyway, as for doughnut flavor…hmmmm, what about like peanut butter, honey and banana? You could make an Elvis doughnut! I need to get a mini loaf pan ASAP because a) I’m single and b) I always eat the whole batch 😉

18. Amanda says:

My vote goes for “sour cream”! It would be a great opportunity to use your homemade greek yogurt to make tangy donuts.

19. I think a cinnamon raisin donut with a healthy ‘icing’ on top would be AMAZING! I think I might just go purchase a donut pan and make some healthy donuts myself once I see your amazing recipes. You are so amazing with your ability to take something that is normally fattening and contains bad ingredients and turn it into a delectable healthy treat! Thank you so much for that :)

1. Oh my gosh, that DOES sound good!
      Also, I saw your other comment. I just updated again today, so it might be a while b4 the next update. But I’ll definitely include you in the next update! :)

20. karla says:

I second the cinnamon idea! I used to LOVE cinnamon sugar donuts. (I’ve been able to control myself recently ;-). Were you planning on a raised or more of a cake donut?

ooh, you could also try a banana bread donut! o.O Good luck, can’t wait to read about it. :-)

1. Hmm… I guess I’m just going to be surprised with whatever result I get! I’ve never made doughnuts before (except for zeppoli, which are Italian doughnut holes).

21. Mm, delicious! I love my mini loaf pan. :) That donut pan is adorable!! I like your idea for cake batter ones. :)

22. I love single-serving bakeware! So cute.

Strawberry donut with chocolate frosting sounds good right now.

23. Kim says:

Hahaha, donuts with sprinkles on the inside? I find that funny:P Go for it. Honestly my absolute favourite flavour of donut is the one called “old-fashioned” at Timmy’s that has just a hint of nutmeg. But then I’m crazy about nutmeg so I’m biased.

I’m excited to see what comes out of this experiment!

1. LOL I loathe nutmeg! Maybe you got my extra “nutmeg-loving” gene?

24. Dude, where did you find the donut pan?! I’ve been looking for one! I NEED to make donuts. You should make single-lady donuts!

1. Tom Thumb, of all places! LOL
      (the grocery store… not sure if you have Tom Thumbs… I think it’s a Safeway chain)

25. so excited for the cake batter donut:)

26. Torpy says:

I think a cookie dough flavoured donut experiment ought to be conducted!

27. Rock on with the donut idea…I really like where your head is at 😉

28. McKella says:

Chocolate cake donuts! Or regular old-fashioned cake donuts, mmm. Can you believe my hubby doesn’t like donuts? Yeah, me neither.

1. What’s up with guys?! I have two guy friends who don’t like chocolate! :(

29. Emily says:

I haven’t stopped thinking about donuts for the past three hours. I am off to find a donut pan!

30. Lot-O-Choc says:

Oooh mini pans! So cute..hmm what donuts to make…how about peanut butter & jelly?!

31. Alyssa says:

I say YES to the cake batter doughnuts :)

32. I support your decision to make the cake batter flavor :) In the fall, pumpkin would be amazing!

33. Emily says:

Chocolate glazed donuts! The ones from Dunkin Donuts were my favorite as a kid and I haven’t had one in yeeears. I’d totally make a veganized version.

34. Ooo a pumpkin maple donut of some sort would be delish! With some kind of yummy glaze :)

35. Jess says:

awesome! just saw a donut pan the other day; i’m all for cake batter, or chocolate. i like cream filled ones too, but it’s hard to fill if they have holes lol.

36. Emily says:

I couldn’t find a donut pan but Angela says you can shape them by hand. I think I’ll try this!

37. YUM doughnuts of any flavor are good. I love the cake batter with a fruity glaze, just divine

38. I bet you will make the best donuts ever! I wish I could try one. Cake batter sounds like a good first attempt! Chocolate almond or chocolate PB would probably be at the top of my list, but I’m sure you’ll make them with chocolate soon enough…

39. I love my doughnut pan!!! You could make chocolate PB ones..or strawberry shortcake doughnuts! yum!

40. bitt of raw says:

Yum, donuts! I have a pan too but haven’t made any more since my first recipe failed. Mama pea had a vanilla one with coated chocolate. That looked amazing. And this weekend I had a GF vegan carrot cake donut with glaze–outstanding. But you might be sick of carrot cake.

1. LOL I am! I didn’t even have any on Easter! :(
      But I’m sure my carrot-cake gene will wake back up soon. I kinda miss it ;).

41. Emma says:

I love all the single serving recipes! Being a single girl myself in a house where non of use are big eaters they are so handy!
    I think you should defiantly make a coconut donut!

42. BroccoliHut says:

SO jealous of your doughnut pan–I can’t find one anywhere!
    I think you should make a good old fashioned jelly doughnut:)

43. Aww those mini loafs are soo cute! Love them!

As for donut flavors I would go for pumkin spice or chocolate with coconut “snow” on top! YUMMMMMMM!

44. Very excited for the donuts! But first I have to try your baked oatmeal. I’m so reluctant to try anything different from my ooey gooey cooked oatmeal, but I might just have to try. :-)

45. Donuts…basic flavor but go crazy with the frosting and toppings, that would be my vote :)

Cute donut pan!

Have been seeing donuts and donut pans all over lately. The new blogger trend..I need to hop on I think :)

46. I’m excited for you too!! I’ve always wanted a donut pan! Where did you get it? And you should definitely go with the cake batter flavor! 😀

So last night, I just couldn’t resist the temptation to make your cookies! I figured I needed a brain break anyway, right? 😉 So when I came home from school today, I noticed there were quite a few missing cookies. My dad came into the kitchen and asked if the cookies were the ones I made last night. I told him they were and then he said, “THOSE. ARE. GOOD.” He honestly sounded like the cookies were the best thing he had ever eaten (and that’s quite the complement coming from my dad). He then went on to tell me that I was extremely lucky that there were any left and kept on asking, “Those are healthy?!” He then requested another batch, and I immediately obliged. There’s no way I’m turning down the opportunity to make another batch of amazing cookies! :) (And my mom and I were practically fighting over the last few cookies 😉 ) Thank you SO MUCH for the incredible recipe!!

<3 <3

1. Oh wow, Alexandra, I don’t even know what to say… I wish you could see how much you made me smile just now. Can I take a picture?
      :) :) :) :) :) :) (and a million more of those)

47. Yum!!! This would be the PERFECT little snacky before bed:)

48. Emma says:

I love my donut pan! I made some summer berry donuts on my blog a while back. Only last week I made vegan bannoffi donuts and raw carrot cake donuts :-) So good!

1. Oh my gosh cool! I was just thinking of banoffi today, because I was trying to think of British desserts for the royal wedding. I’ve never had banoffi before!

49. Emma says:

p.s – i agree….you need sprinkles!!!!

50. Emma says:

51. What an awesome idea! Frosting on top of these would be a good addition, too :)

52. Jojo says:

how about… chocolate mint topped with a chocolate glaze and cacao nibs?

53. Emily says:

we got a large and small donut pan and have been having a GREAT time with them. i’m surprised that chocolate isn’t involved in the plans. 😉

54. Mmm – the oatmeal bake sounds delicious! I need to get my hands on a donut pan!

55. Ahhhhhh! I’m totally jealous of the donut pan! Can’t wait to see which recipe you make first! 😀

56. I want a mini-loaf pan so bad but I can’t find them anywhere near me! I have yet to check Target though…
    And for the donuts? If you could create a healthy glazed donut, I would be in heaven!

57. Reka says:

I’ve been really wanting to buy a donut maker for a while now, but can’t find one in the stores and Amazon seems a bit expensive. Can I ask where you got yours from?

1. Oddly enough, I found it at the local grocery store (Tom Thumb)! And it was only like $12! I’ve also heard that some Target stores carry them. Bed, Bath, and Beyond didn’t, but they do have it online (I don’t know… maybe if you order it directly in the store, shipping is free? I know some stores have that policy.)

58. Tara says:

I love my mini loaf pans! I talked about them incessantly and my mom finally got them for me for my birthday. On my wishlist is the donut pan and a jumbo muffin pan!
    I would love to see a strawberry frosted donut! That reminds me of my childhood! Also I used to enjoy toasted coconut, which had vanilla frosting and then toasted coconut instead of sprinkles. I bet if you spread coconut butter over top of one and then topped that with toasted coconut it would be so good!

59. Dalai Lina says:

I’m feeling strawberry glazed…

60. katie says:

I can not wait to see what yummy donuts you create!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Love you Katie!! Happy Weekend!! xoxo

61. Katie, I just wanted to tell you that you are a genius! I made your Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal this morning, and I am in LOVE! I don’t have a mini loaf pan so I made muffins, but they turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing such great recipes with the rest of us!!! Have a great day!

1. Aww Parita, I’m so excited you made it… and even more excited you liked it! :) :)

62. How about something with CHOCOLATE? 😀 Make a REESE’S doughnut! 😀

63. Michele says:

How about a vegan “cream filled” doughnut? And why can’t that “cream” be chocolate?