Spring-Green Saag

This dish did not want to look pretty. I tried! Can you take my word that it tastes 1000 times better than it looks? If not, you’ll just have to make it for yourself, to see!

saag meal

Above: saag, easy veggie salad, and Polenta for One.

(Side-note: I love raw pine nuts. They are like candy!)

saag 1

Here’s one of the ugliest recipes that I adore: Saag is an Indian dish, usually made with spinach. When I attended college in Philadelphia, I often ate at a cute Indian restaurant, which had incredible (and vegan!) saag.

I also once had really good saag at the Boston Vegetarian Festival.

Sadly, Texas doesn’t seem to offer anything as yummy and vegan-friendly… or at least I haven’t found it yet. Therefore, frustrated and saag-less, I decided to make my own version of the dish. Right in time for the “May Flowers” part of the poem, I’m calling this “Spring Green Saag.”

Spring-Green Saag

(Serves four, or two Katies!)

• 1 package frozen spinach, thawed (10-12 oz)
  • 1 medium onion (160g)
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or more if desired)
  • 1/4 tsp dry ginger (or 1 tsp fresh)
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil, or more if desired (I probably use about a tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup yogurt of choice, depending on desired creaminess (I use Wildwood unsweetened soy)

Add onion and oil to a hot pan. Sauté 3 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Stir in the garlic, curry, and ginger, and sauté for another minute. Then add your spinach, as well as 2 tbsp water. Cook another minute, or until most of the water has absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, as well as 1/4 cup water or milk of choice. You can also add a little coriander and turmeric, if desired, for more flavor.

New product Alert!

I updated the “New Product Alerts” page with some exciting new finds:

NSA_Pints

Click for more details: New Product Alerts

Tags: , , , ,

1. Ellie says:

I have all the ingredients to make this! Maybe for dinner?
    And are those SUGAR-FREE coconut ice creams?!? :) :) :)

2. Helen says:

I think our tastebuds are soul buds…I salivate reading your blog! 😀

3. that saag sounds great! and even looks great since I know its not actually bird poop! WAHHHH i wish those new products were available over here- I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I MOVE TO THE US!

i love mexican, italian, asian… lebanese.. ERRYTHIN besides indian (apart from saag 😉

4. Mmmm…I’ve never heard of Saag before, but I must admit it sounds pretty delicious. I’m not a huge fan of Indian food either, except for Naan, but I do love Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, and Spanish food. Yuuuum! 😀

5. Ive never tried saag but it sounds amazing, and yes loveee so delicious products I have tried almost every single one!

6. I LOVE saag!! My momma is Indian and so I used to have saag and dal and stuff all the time!! I’m definitely gonna try your version!! 😀

And these new products better be coming to the uk, or I guess I WILL have to make that move to Texas to live with you!! 😛

1. Hela says:

awwwwwwww, lucky you!! Indian cuisine is my favorite!! (though I can´t stand spinach)

7. Lucy says:

Mmm, I love Saag, I normally order Saag Aloo when with have Indian – spinach + potatoes + spices = good! :)

Your recipe looks great (well, you know, the ingredients perhaps more than the photo, although that doesn’t look so bad!) and sounds really easy, I’ve never made Saag at home before but you’re recipe has inspired me to give it a try, thanks Katie – you should post savoury recipes more often! (altho I love your sweet recipes too, yum)

I love all sorts of foods – Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Spanish etc etc…I basically will give most things a try :)

1. I agree… I need to post more savory recipes! I have about a million, and they’re all piling up because I don’t have photos for them, so I can’t write posts :(.

8. Lenna says:

I love spinach in any form! And I don´t think your recipe look unpretty, actually I like how it looks, am I strange? :) I love international cuisines…my favourite would be probably African cuisine and Indian as well.

1. Hahaha well, my saag thanks you… but I still say it looks ugly ;).

1. Lenna says:

Lol, well, I am known to have a bad taste:))

9. Mine would have to be Mexican! I LOVE it! I need to check out the Coconut Ice Cream! I love that it’s stevia sweetened!

10. Alyssa says:

Mexican and Asian are my two favorite non american meals :)

I love the so delicious mini sandwich cookies

11. This sounds great Katie! I’ve been wanting to try more Indian dishes and this is definitely a good one…so quick and easy!

My favorite cuisine is probably Mexican, but I do hold a VERY special place in my heart for Asian cuisine! LOVE sushi! Mmm!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

1. Oh my word, how did I forget about Asian?! Obviously I love that too!

12. McKella says:

I’m all about Asian food. I love the sweet/sour/spicy combination. And no dairy, which makes going Asian an easy, allergen-free experience. For the most part. Watch out for the cream cheese wantons.

13. Jenny says:

I didn’t grow up eating classic “American” dishes – umm probably because I’m not American? Haha – but the food of the country I was in at the moment… I love pretty much all “international” cuisines! Not a big fan of “North American” food. Japanese is my favourite, though I love love love the spices and flavour combinations in Indian cooking. I love Indian spinach (saag) dishes as well! Mexican, Italian, Thai, and traditional mainland Chinese cuisines are great as well. :)

14. Gen says:

That sounds awesome!!!!!! I love anything with curry? Do you think that I could use kale instead of the spinach though? Its easier to find here…..
    As for non-american foods, I love pretty much all of it, especially Italian and Mexican!

1. Yes! Saag is traditionally made with spinach, but sometimes it’s made with collards or mustard greens… so I don’t see why kale wouldn’t work!

15. Chelsea says:

I didn’t know that you lived in Texas! I live in Houston :)

1. I do! I live in Dallas. Yay for Texans! :)

16. i just tried that so delicious no added sugar coconut vanilla ice cream last weekend! while i was glad that it wasn’t as sweet as normal, i felt like it had a bit of a chemically aftertaste :( what did you think?

1. I actually haven’t tried it! They don’t sell it near me yet. To be honest, I’m not even sure I’ll try it… I’ve heard that it’s sweetened with erythritol, and I don’t know too much about that…

17. Saag is one of my favorite Indian dishes. Love that your recipe for it is so simple! African cuisine is yum because of all the peanuts, but I probably make Asian dishes the most.

18. Lisa says:

I think mine would be Indian. Im in love with all of Amy’s Kitchen frozen organic indian meals. stuff I would never have tried before, I know love! Like Indian Cheese, BASMATI RICE<3, and mataar paneer. MMM!
    and on a side note, I think thats a pretty good pic up above! love the addition of the chop sticks 😛

19. One of my favorite cuisines is Mexican! I could eat Mexican everyday and not get sick of it. Mexican food is soooo flavorful and I love how vegetarian friendly you can make it!!!!

p.s. pine nuts are the best!

20. Lauren says:

Mmmm looks tasty! I love pretty much every cuisine I have ever tried. Indian and Ethiopian are definitely among my favorites though…that spongy bread they serve with Ethiopians meals is SO delicious!!!

1. That’s my favorite too! My mom and sister don’t like the injera bread! Crazies!!!