What’s in that dessert?!

Hi Pies!

Chocolate-Chip Cookie Pies, of course.

You probably got more than enough chocolatey photos in yesterday’s post to satisfy even the most enormous cookie-dough craving.  But I found one more that I forgot to post:

cookie

Gooey, melty, chocolatey Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

Is there another word for gooey? I keep using it over and over to describe this pie! Maybe fudgey? That word definitely applies to the pie as well.

I am Katie, queen of… beans? 😕

This beans-in-dessert thing is getting out of hand! And I still have recipe ideas for bean-y muffins, cake, and brownie batter! I’ll hold off on those recipes for at least a few weeks, to give those of you who are not-so-enamored of beans a break. Tomorrow’s recipe post has nothing to do with beans. For today, though, here’s a look back at all my garbanzo-filled desserts:

dip1

Blondie Batter Dip

blonde

Chocolate-Chip Blondies

blondiesnickerdoodle

Snickerdoodle Blondies

sn-dip-untilted1

Snickerdoodle Dip

And finally, yesterday’s gooey-licious pie:

chocolate-chip-cookie-pie

Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

Question of the Day:

Do you ever hide “strange” ingredients in your foods?

Spinach in smoothies, pumpkin in brownies, avocado pudding…

I love surprise desserts. Remember my Spinach Ice Cream?

1. I don’t think I hide “strange” ingredients in my food.. but I will be as soon as I get some chick peas!

However.. strange to some of my friends.. include sugar subs rather then sugar (applesauce.. bananas, etc) .. they even think it is strange for me to use flour other then white.. so from that sense, I suppose people who don’t have a view of eating liek I do.. think ALL my food is strange!

1. Michaela says:

I couldn´t agree more! To me, all the ingredients I use are normal.
      Guess who is making the Deep-Dish Chocolate Pie asap? Yeah, you got it 😉

1. I hope you like it, sweet girl!!

1. Michaela says:

I bet I will :) I have never been anything but delighted when creating your recipes!

2. I definitely do – from spinach and avocado in my smoothies to my favorite Mexican black bean brownies. They taste amazing! Last night I made pulled “pork” BBQ tacos with jackfruit and is was wayyyy better than any “normal” BBQ I’ve had.

I find that making dishes healthier forces creativity that pays off big time in the deliciousness-factor. :)

3. Yes! I just made a chocolate cake with pumpkin and greek yogurt topped with chocolate avocado frosting. I love sneaking healthy ingredients into my foods.

4. Bethany Davis says:

Yes! Most recently, applesauce in our pizza sauce! 2 cans tomato paste + 3/4 c. applesauce + assorted spices, a little cayenne, and a dash of hot sauce. Yummy!!! This week will try…mushroom gravy on mashed cauliflower/potatoes! ( :

1. Ooh that sauce sounds intriguing!

5. Albizia says:

I would eat any strange combination if that’s exactly what I want at a particular moment. Only I can crave custard caramel and a fish sausage at the same time so for me using beans for baking doesn’t look strange at all :) .

1. Melissa says:

Fish. Sausage. O.o Xp
      I’ve never heard of such a thing and … sorry but ewwwww.

Pre-gan, I liked fish baked/broiled but I never got the draw of fish tacos or things like that.

6. Can’t wait for all the recipes!!
    I rarely hide “strange ingredients” in food… but my mum and brother were kind of shocked to know that there were bananas in their chocolate ice- cream… I had a good laugh! 😀

7. Heather says:

I am waiting for an occasion to use your blondie recipe since I love black bean brownies they are so fudgey and moist. I am looking forward to the cinnamon roll recipe, they are a weakness of mine!

8. Lenna says:

I once hid chickpeas in my oatmeal :))

9. Jenny says:

I love, love, love putting greens in my smoothies. Not only spinach, but mint too – to bump up the flavour for a mint-chocolate smoothie/milkshake. And your spinach ice cream is awesome, by the way, It’s one recipe that I make several times a week… Yes, I’m also guilty of avocado in puddings! :) Chococado pudding~

I like the surprise desserts you come up with! The surprise is always pleasant: hidden healthy benefits from something that tastes absolutely delicious. Keep up the awesome work – you know we all appreciate it!

10. I have to say, Katie, I am LOVING all these new desserts. They are so different and unique. I absolutely love them! We are having company over this Sunday and I am TOTALLY making this cookie dough pie!!

11. Angela says:

I can’t say I hide things in desserts anymore as most people know that my desserts are not always what they appear to be. Lol. They always ask how I modified something. I love the idea of this pie and using beans, but as mentioned yesterday by some people all of the brown sugar scares me. Did anyone make it with any other types of sweeteners with success?

1. You can cut back on the sugar… or, if you like the taste of stevia, you can sub that for some of the sugar.
      Some readers have also told me that this works with liquid sweetener such as agave.

12. Lori says:

I always hide ingredients in foods. My kids expect it now. They just laugh and ask “so whats in this?” I always make them taste it first, they like and then I tell them! They are now shocked if I don’t put something “strange” in!

13. Lisa Fine says:

I love the idea of adding beans to baked goods, since we can all use their nutrients and fiber.

I love adding spinach or lettuce to my smoothies, since there’s usually an abundance of both in my garden come summertime.

14. I LOVE hiding spinach in my smoothies. It does make the color pretty ugly though! I’m a little scared to try beans in desserts, but I should!

15. Yep I do all that! Spinach in smoothies, pumpkin in brownies, avocado pudding, beans in blondies and brownies, I’ve had it all! Haha but if someone had told me that I would this time last year I would’ve thought they were insane! 😛

And I am SO making that pie either tomorrow or Friday!! Can’t WAIT!!

P.S. I actually don’t know how you are LIVING without nut butter!! Get on that ASAP Katie!! 😀

16. I made your blondies for a houseboat trip my hubby and I were going on with a bunch of college students. I didn’t tell them what the main ingredient was until after they gushed about how much they loved them! :) Fabulous recipe!

1. Aww I am so excited you made them!! And lol revealing the secret is the best part, right? 😉

17. Yup! Spinach in my smoothies is my all time favourite.:-)

18. Lisa says:

i always use applesauce instead of oil, without a doubt. I like the fluffy consistency it gives the products! altho, butter is something I find hard to replace. nothing beats that buttery taste!

19. That deep dish cookie pie looks amazing! Everything you make leaves my tummy growling 😉

20. After commenting over on Averie’s blog about beans in desserts, I realized I never updated you on my version of the bean blondies subbing in brown rice syrup for sugar. They were good, but not very sweet, I don’t know if the brown rice syrup makes the difference or not. I actually ended up just keeping them and eating them as a breakfast item with some more almond butter on top. A nice change of pace for breakfast :)

1. Hey Katelyn!
      Brown rice syrup is actually less sweet than regular sugar or agave, so you need more to get the same amount of sweetness.
      But almond butter can make anything taste good, right?