Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

I’m not wearing Make-Up

Around this time, last year, I posted a photo of myself without make-up. Today, I thought it’d be fun to do so again and invite you all to post your own make-up-less photos on your blogs.

Below: This is me, going off to the brunch mini muffin pajama party, sans make-up.

(For the record, Muttsee’s not wearing make-up either.)

Post your own makeup-less photos on your blogs. Bonus points for sweaty post-workout pics like this photo.

This is meant to be fun, but there’s an important message behind it: Society expects women to maintain a certain image; to put on make-up, paint our nails, curl our hair, shave our legs, pluck our eyebrows, wear high heels… Did I miss anything? How is this fair when men aren’t expected to do any of these things? (Somewhere, my mom is saying: Life’s not fair. Get over it.”)

There’s nothing wrong if you want to wear make-up for you. It’s an art form, after all. However, none of us should be made to feel ugly if we choose not to wear make-up. Regardless of what society tries to tell us, women (all women, not just Gisele Bundchen) are beautiful in our natural state. The whole idea of concealer to hide our imperfections is ridiculous. How dare someone else try to tell us what’s less-than-perfect about our skin! These so-called “imperfections” are what make us unique.

That’s not to say I haven’t, at times, fallen victim to society’s message. I’ve griped about my “too pale” skin or the red dot at the top of my nose. (For the record, I named him “Ned the nose dot.” I’ve learned to accept him; he gives my face personality.) And although I often go bare-faced in public—even in front of my friends—there’s still no way I’m not wearing make-up on a date!

Do you wear make-up?

Normally, I don’t, simply because I’m too busy to put any on. When I do wear it, I mainly stick to blush and mascara. I never wear concealer because I hate the way it feels on my skin.

1. Helen says:

Katie, I don’t think you need concealer, but if you DID want some that didn’t feel weird on your skin, you might try bare minerals powder concealer. I wear it and I don’t even know it’s there. Whether or not I wear makeup depends on what time of month it is, honestly. Because there’s a week out of the month where my skin looks terrible.

My can’t live withouts are: concealer (for brightening up eyes), chapstick, and cream blush. I rarely wear mascara. Recently I’ve discovered brown pencil, which can really frame and polish your face without any other makeup (if you pick the right color and apply it really naturally so it isn’t obvious you’re wearing it!).

1. Veronica says:

Ditto on the Bare Minerals concealer! It’s amazing and weightless.

2. Helen says:

by “brown” pencil I mean “brow” pencil

3. Christy says:

You don’t need makeup, you’re beautiful (and young!). I used to never wear make-up, now I wear it when I wear my contacts and want to look pretty. I could take it or leave it though.

4. Lissy says:

i almost never wear makeup. my skin’s way sensitive. Though I have a small bald spot on my eyebrow that I’ve been filling in. Actually, I forgot today.
    Even if I could wear makeup, I probably wouldn’t. Well, I could wear eye stuff and I don’t, so, there ya go. I’m too lazy to put on makeup in the morning.

5. Lisa Fine says:

I don’t wear makeup except for special events like weddings, for or job interviews. It’s been a very long time since I’ve worn makeup every day.

It might be fun (and funny) for me to write a post like this… :)

6. I’ve only worn make-up once in my whole life– for a school performance when I was 6! I don’t wear make up because I read some news about the colours from make-up come from beetles (Yeah, I’m quite a wimp). And of course, my laziness is also a factor.
    And I totally agree with what you say about wearing makeup. I think that society does pressure people to look good… and what a warped form of thinking that is!

1. Crafty lil vegan says:

I’m a bit of a make-up junkie i’m afraid! Though no-where near like i used to be – my eyes used to be rainbow colours! i mainly stick to eyeliner and a little powder, though the colours still come out at special occasions! A great vegan make-up place is “Be never too busy to be beautiful” They have amazing vegan make-up – Not a beatle in sight! Just thought i’d let you know =]

7. I never wear concealer or powder. I feel like it makes my skin feel too cakey and/or fake. I wear tinted moisturizer sometimes for the SPF & moisturizing effects. I like to wear neutral eye shadows & mascara just to make my eyes look bigger, but I go out sometimes totally barefaced. Sunglasses are a big help when I’m in a hurry :) Oh, and my face feels incomplete if I don’t have blush on!

8. Freya says:

Annnd you still look stunning!!
    I wear make up if I’m out of the house and going somewhere other than to buy the newspaper! I normally wear foundation/concealer, powder, mascara and eyeliner. I feel my skin is too blotchy to go without; make up makes me feel more confident :)

9. You look gorgeous without makeup! I agree with this whole message. My skin is really sensitive, and I’m not a huge fan of how makeup feels, but in the past year, my skin has been kind of bad, so I feel it’s almost necessary! Can’t wait for more warm weather – the sun always seems to help. :)

10. Lauren says:

You look fantastic without makeup on Katie! You don’t even need it!

I recently did a no makeup blog post called the Inner Beauty Tag if anyone wants to have a look or is interested :)

11. I think you look amazing! I do wear makeup, but I have scaled it way back the past few years. I realized that I used more of it for the wrong reasons. I like feeling more natural and I like feeling like me. This is a completely new development and I’m really liking it.

12. Lisa C says:

Love this post! And the message! I agree 100% that it’s unfair women are expected to do all of this. It’s even legal for women to be fired for not wearing makeup/shaving etc because it can be seen as the “dress professional” part of a job clause (although the boss would never say he speicfically fired you or didn’t hire you because you didn’t wear makeup).

13. As a busy college student, I hardly EVER wear makeup! It’s definitely not a part of my daily routine. Sometimes when I go out at night or for a special event I will put on a light eyeshadow, eyeliner on my top eyelid, and mascara, but that’s about it! I just don’t like putting on “face” makeup because it always makes me break out…leading to me having to put on MORE “face” makeup. The cycle is endless!

14. Sarahishealthy says:

I used to wear SO much makeup in middle school. Then less in hs, even LESS in college… and barely any now. It’s all from laziness ;).
    Plus, I just looked like a clown back then!

15. Mariah says:

I wrote a series of “un-photoshopped” pictures. I took a picture of me, via bad webcam, but un-photoshopped none the less, every day for one week. Some days I wore make-up, some days I didn’t. I was true to myself and how I operate my normal daily week.

Here’s the link:

16. Lauren says:

Great post, Katie! I love going “bare” or without makeup. It’s hard sometimes, though, to see photos of celebs in magazines. I have to realize that’s not real either. They are Photoshopped beauties!

17. In not a big fan of makeup either. I like eyeliner and mascara and do use clear mascara on my eyebrows, but I really can’t stand foundation. For a friend’s wedding, I got away with using tinted moisturizer that wasn’t as bad as I’d thought, but not something I can imagine doing every day. Fortunately, my boyfriend very much prefers me without makeup.

18. I never really wear make up. Just on special occasions like weddings or something…But other than that I don’t! Too busy, don’t feel like it, don’t really like the stuff! But almost every picture of me I have I don’t have makeup on! Even the one I use for my blog picture —–>

19. Leslie says:

You are beautiful! I would never bother wearing makeup if I were you.
    But sorry Katie, Muttsee is the true looker in your photo ;). He steals the show! Love those Gund stuffed animals!

20. I do wear makeup when I meet with clients, which is a few times a month, since I work from home normally. I also wear makeup when I got out on date nights or out with friends. I live in workout clothes (working from home does that do you), so I spend 90% of my life bumming it. Needless to say, I have no issue going in public with no makeup on (and in sweaty clothes).

I don’t need makeup to feel pretty. I actually feel strongest working up a sweat or pumping iron. I do though feel professional and put together with it on in a work setting.

21. Jennifer JCD says:

Well written. Society’s pressures aren’t fair, and not because men don’t have so many expectations of them, but because nobody should feel pressured to do ANYTHING they don’t want to do just because it’s ‘normal’. For the record, society has expectations of men too – to work out, to hold a high-end job, to maintain their hair, etc. too. Take a look at any magazine or film and you’ll see those stereotypes too. (I don’t agree with any of those stereotypes either.)

You are beautiful, Katie! I agree with those above who say you don’t need makeup. The only makeup I wear is lip gloss and a very light blush, and that’s only when I’m dressed up in formalwear, which happens three or four days a year, at most. :)

A link that someone sent me yesterday that fits in well with this blog post:

1. Oh ok, you’re right… guys have pressures too. Like feeling the need to be macho all the time, or supporting a family, or being muscular… I guess they don’t always have it so easy! But I still say it’s harder to be a girl ;). (Harder, but I’m still glad I’m a girl!)

1. vicki says:

I dunno Katie. If a guy has a facial flaw he doesn’t want to live with, he can’t simply cover it w/a little make-up. So, I think we win on that one.

2. Jennifer,
      Thank you for posting the link to my blog.

22. Oh, I just started following your blog recently, and I really enjoy it. I’m curious though, how old are you?

1. I’m 24… I know I look so much younger :(. My mom says I’ll like that when I’m 50!

1. Oh, you will be very happy when you are 50. Yeck, even 30. I was on the front end of that benefit, as I have always looked older than my age. It was really nice when I was 18 😉 Now that I’m 29. Not so much. LOL

23. I wear make up, but not every day. It’s nice to let the skin breathe a little right?!?

24. Anonymous says:

I never wear make up, except for special occasions… Another commenter said this I think and it’s the same to me! I have acne-prone skin so things like foundation and concealer just aggravate my now-clear skin and make it revert to its old ways! Also, I can’t wear eye make up since my eyes seem overly sensitive to it… Even on special occasions, I’ll just wear a toner and foundation with blush – no mascara or eye shadow or eye liner!

I think I probably would if I could, only because make up does have a tendency to give the illusion of perfect skin… but going “au naturel” is so much more comfortable anyway! Plus it sort of sends out the message of “I’m comfortable with the way I am”, doesn’t it? Also, many of my guy friends can’t even tell the difference (at least when it comes to make up just for the skin), amazingly.

1. I think we girls put more pressure on ourselves (and each other) than guys! Pretty much every guy I’ve ever known has said he likes girls with less makeup!

25. Chelsea says:

I almost always go sans-makeup unless I feel like doing something really cool with it haha. I’m one of those people who view makeup as an art and so much fun to do :) During summer though I hardly ever wear makeup.
    Sweaty running picture without makeup? Yeah I have one of those –
    hahah :)

1. Chelsea says:

hahah thanks <3 Gotta have the smile and thumbs up of course ;D

26. Kate says:

Sorry if this comes across as rude – but have you used any photoshop / touch up software on this picture?

1. I brightened the background, sharpened the picture, and changed the color balance a little. But I didn’t touch up my face. That would have completely negated the whole point of this post!

27. Firstly, you look BEAUTIFUL Katie!! You have such natural beauty- those gorgeous eyes!! 😀

LOVE THIS KATIE, and love YOU for such an awesome message!! I couldn’t agree with you more!! I rarely wear make-up for that reason! I used to wear it every day for a while, but starting feeling more ‘ugly’ when I didn’t wear it, and I hated feeling that way! So now I rarely wear it, and I feel much more confident actually! And lol pretty much every photo of me on the blog is sweaty with no make-up! 😛

Aaaand I’ll just repeat it again in case you didn’t get it the first time! You. Are. Beautiful :)

28. You look beautiful with or without makeup! The only makeup I wear is a bit of powder because my skin is kind of reddish otherwise, but many days I’ll go without that too. Great message, Katie!

29. This is a really great post. I never wear makeup. To be honest, I’m 22 years old and I don’t even really know if I could apply makeup to my face and not come out looking like a clown… I have no idea how to even start! Every once and a while I’ll let a friend doll me up if we’re going out and she really wants to, but other than that, I just let my face go without.

30. Marian says:

have you heard of the Makeup Free Mondays movement started by the beauty bean? i think it’s such a cool idea!

1. I hadn’t heard about it. Thanks for the link :).

31. Fun! I post post-workout photos all the time. Sweats sometimes the best make up of all haha! I don’t wear make up takes too much time and usually ends up making me breakout. I’ll occasionaly wear eye shadow or liner but not much.

32. I remember the challenge last year – it was so inspiring! You look just as gorge now as you did then!

1. Aww thank you! LOL I didn’t do a sweaty post-run photo this year… but hey, the summer’s not over yet!

33. Em says:

Oh my gosh I love you Katie! You are so clever to write this amazing post… I totally agree with you. Society expects every girl to always be PERFECT looking when reality is> looks don’t matter and half the celebrities on magazine covers wearing that make up and having that smile on there face> aren’t even happy about it! So I think the media is sending the wrong message to people by making it look like to be pretty & happy u have to wear makeup that makes u look really fake! (lol) I do admit somedays I have fun and wear makeup…but most days I don’t like to wear it and usually if I do its VERY VERY little amounts of it. oh and i accept ur challenge (: (:

xo Em

34. You are gorgeous without make up! I will typically not leave the house without make up, though I’ve gotten MUCH better as I’ve gotten older. Shouldn’t that be the opposite?!

This Saturday I went makeup free at my race (I won my division – woot woot!):

35. Katie, I think you’re beautiful without any makeup!! To be totally honest, I never wear makeup. Occasionally I tiny bit of concealer or cover-up just where I need it and if it’s extra special some eyeliner or eye shadow, but since having kids I haven’t been to any “extra special” occasions anyways. I don’t wear make-up just to go out of the house. I do think make-up is an art form too and some times it can be really nice, but I think a lot of women need to know they’re beautiful without it too.

1. Ok, you said exactly what I meant, but you said it three hundred times better than me! :)
      If we want to wear makeup for ourselves, that’s awesome… as long as we know that we’re just as beautiful without it!

36. Katherine says:

You look gorgeous!

37. Sadly most of the pics on my blog are make-up less. I SHOULD wear it more often :-) Whenever I do, my coworkers are like “Wow you look amazing…Something is different….”

38. Tabitha says:

Well, you look just about exactly the same without makeup as you do with. If I was blessed with skin like yours, I’d probably not wear makeup. Mascara, maybe a bit of shadow. Lucky you!

1. LOL I do look pretty similar with and without… because even when I do wear makeup, I hardly wear much! Some girls can pull off the cat eye look, or the bright red lipstick… but I’m not one of ’em! 😉

39. Eric Jaffa says:

Do you pluck your eyebrows?

If so, exactly what does that mean?

40. Tricia says:

I look forward to putting make-up on! I love to apply it simply because I love trying new looks and doing artsy stuff like that :). If i had a choice between doing my make-up and doing my hair in the morning, I would much rather do make up lol.
    Also, you look really good without make up, and I’ll go ahead and take up your challenge hehe.

41. Nichole says:

I never wear make up, except at really special occasions. mostly, i forget to use it. I’ve never thought it was right to focus so much on how women look, and not make men do things like this too. I prefer being natural. It feels fake to try to hide my flaws anyhow. I’d rather just be honest.

42. I went to an all-girls school where no one wore makeup for class, and it made me so much more comfortable with my natural appearance! I do wear it when I go to social events now, but usually it’s just powder, bronzer, mascara and under eye concealer. I hate too much stuff on my face!

1. I remember commenting on your blog about how lucky you were to go to an all-girls school… with uniforms!!
      I went to an all-girls college for a year, and there were definitely days where I rolled out of bed and went to class in my pjs. Oh wait, I did that at my non-all-girls college too ;).

43. Abby says:

Love this! I don’t wear make up nearly as often as I used to. The other day I was talking to my boyfriend about this and he actually told me that he was glad that I don’t wear as much make up as I used to because I am “too beautiful to mask my face”. That was one of the coolest things to hear, especially living in our society! I usually stick to powder, neutral eye shadow, mascara, and blush now!

44. Sarah says:

Well you could have fooled me! You look great. It looks like you naturally have full/dark lashes. Mine are actually pretty long but they’re blonde at the end : /

1. I do love my eyelashes! There are definitely parts of me that I don’t love, but luckily my eyelashes don’t fall into that category, because I could NEVER do the fake eyelash thing. My eyes are so sensitive that I can’t even put in a contact!

45. This is you without makeup?! You look amazing, you don’t need makeup, ever.

46. Allie says:

Love this idea, and will definitely join in, although I rarely, if ever, wear makeup, so not that much of a challenge–sweaty gym picture, though? Can’t say I’ve ever taken one of those, so, GOAL.

1. Haha yeah, I might need to get up the courage to post another one of those too.

47. Moni'sMeals says:

I like this post Katie!
    You look great. :)
    I wear make-up completely up to what my day is looking like. Sometimes I have-to for jobs, sometimes I don’t at all, and sometimes just a touch of lip gloss. I actually do not like make-up and I can’t stand when it is SUPER caked on for a special occasion like a weeding or photo shoot. I feel like I can’t breathe!

I also can’t wait to try the mini chocolate chip recipe post (from yesterday)

48. I’ll wear makeup to work every day (at least a little blush, concealer, and eyeshadow), but I’ll only wear it on the weekends if I’m getting fancy. :)

49. Lilly says:

You are gorgeous Katie! I so agree, people should only wear make up for them and not for anyone else or pressure to look a certain way. I do bare faced almost all the time, so much easier, quick, and saves money too :) Also, I can go jump in a pool whenever I want and not worry about my makeup running. I do use a little for special occasions so that way it really does feel special since it’s not an everyday thing.

50. Gen says:

You look gorgeous w/o makeup!!! 😀
    I rarely ever wear any…..mostly because I’m lazy! hahaha

1. If this were facebook, I would be all over the like button on your comment. I’m even more lazy about not wanting to take my makeup off when I’m tired at night! So it’s tons easier to just not put it on!

51. I don’t wear makeup — unless I’m going to a wedding or some other special event — in that case I wear some eye liner, mascara and some powder. Thats it. I don’t really know how to apply makeup (my mom never wore any and never “taught” me!)

1. My mom and friends tried to teach me… but I still don’t know how!

52. Aww you have to be one of the sweetest, most upbeat bloggers out there!! Thank you for this post–it made me smile:)

1. Wow, thank YOU for this comment. It made ME smile. So much!!

53. Katherine says:

I’ll wear makeup if I feel like it — it’s kind of fun to get dressed and go out with my friends. Otherwise, I really don’t bother with it on a daily basis. I’m hoping it’ll serve as an inspiration to my sister, who’s in middle school and constantly cakes her face with makeup. I love your post-workout photos, by the way, because I can tell you’ve actually sweat! If you don’t sweat during your workouts, you aren’t doing it right. 😀

54. I wear makeup because I like to. Foundation, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick. I don’t go too crazy, though. If I’m not leaving the house I won’t wear it, just to give me skin a break, though. :-)

1. Susan says:

I agree! I also wear make-up everyday but I do it because it makes ME feel better about myself, not for anyone else. I don’t have particularly good skin… it tends to be quite uneven in colour and leans towards oilyness. When I wear foundation it evens out my skintone and actually controls the shine. My make-up routine takes about 4 minutes everyday… not really a big drain on my time and makes me feel a lot better about how I look. To me it’s the same thing as picking out a cute outfit to wear that makes you look and feel good.

55. Elle says:

I used to wear make-up allll the time, but not anymore. It’s too much work everyday! I still like to wear make-up just for fun when I’m going out or something though. And Katie, you look beautiful without any make-up! :)

56. Serena says:

I usually don’t wear makeup. I love playing with makeup, though, so when I go to parties (or if I’m just dressing up at home…yes, I still play dress up) I experiment with make up, too. 😉 I own far too much makeup considering I hardly ever use it, but when I do use it during the day, it’s usually just eyeliner + mascara and some lipgloss, or just mascara, or just eyeliner, or just lipgloss (wow, boring)…or just lipstick if I’m feeling dramatic. I do have a few blushes that I love, but rarely use…
    Part of it is that I just can’t be bothered every day…another part is that I don’t think it’s healthy to put chemicals (even “natural” makeup is loaded with chemicals/ unnatural ingredients) on my face every day.

57. Mandy says:

Oh my gosh, you look gorgeous without makeup! You don’t need a thing, lady! I only wear makeup when I feel like getting “gussied up” … if I don’t feel the need, then I go bare-faced which is most of the time! :) I will join ya and post my makeup-less pics – such a great thing to do!

58. Love this! I actually go without makeup a lot in the summertime!

59. girl you are adorable and beautiful in every way! gosh, that sounds so cheesy and hallmarky but i just had to say that you are really pretty. but i agree with everything you said and i think it’s a tough place/time for girls to grow up in and and women to live in. i think we all have our own little insecurities about things but i love your embrace the flaws attitude. actually kind of funny in that yesterday i did a post all about rocking my flatsy-patsy runner girl’s chest. 😛

when it comes to make-up though it’s kind of embarrassing because i’ve only worn it maybe five times in my life…at most. and every time it was someone else putting it all on for me. it’s not necessarily because i’m against it but because i honestly have no clue about it all or how to put it on. so i go sans make-up because i’m totally out of my element with it and also largely in part due to being lazy.

60. Tara says:

I don’t wear makeup! Mostly because it’s too much of a hastle and I think I look fine without it. Also it makes me look extra dolled up when I do wear it and I get lots of compliments :) maybe that’s a little superficial, but since most of the time I would rather not be wearing it I think it’s an okay trade off!

61. Maria Hughes says:

Very true about conforming to society with make up. I like to post lovely post workout photo’s on my blog, makes me feel less “fake” – so people can see the real me. :) PS. Your post workout photo is just beautiful.

62. There are about 4 pictures of me on my blog, but I am wearing makeup in NONE of them because I wear makeup about 2x/year. I don’t need it to be beautiful, and neither do any of you!

63. Sarah says:

Way to goooo girl!! I do wear make up, and I wish I didn’t wear it so much. I love the way it makes me feel, but I don’t love the way I feel if I don’t wear any. Something I’m trying to work on :)

64. Melissa says:

I usually wear make up because I feel more put together and confident when I do, but I put pics of myself sans make up on my blog pretty often. I am me, regardless of how I look, and if any community out there is going to accept that, it’s definitely bloggers! :)

65. Hey Katie! I’ve never commented before but I’ve been checking out your super-delicious recipes for awhile and I love all your raw desserts! Anyways I think you look gorgeous without makeup. I’d love to try the no-makeup look in public but I’m scared to because I look a lot younger than my age. I’m almost 19 and no one thinks I’m in college–I look like I’m a high school freshman!

1. Ugh lol I hear ya! I’m 24… and people are constantly telling me I look like I’m in high school. Once, one guy even thought I was twelve :(.
      My mom says I’ll like that when I’m 50. But right now, it’s not so fun!

2. That happens to me very often too! My neighbours keep doubting me when I say I’m actually 18 and demand me to tell them which secondary school I’m from! I went for a buffet once and the cashier told my parents I get half-price because I am 11.-_- My mum says I look too immature so it’ll be hard for me to find a job. Guess there’s where makeup will have to come in… :-(

66. I always post after run sweaty pics of myself on my blog because I am proud of what I just accomplished! I feel no shame in going out without makeup….if people don’t accept me for what i really am than I wouldn’t want to be around them WITH makeup on any way!

And you look exactly the same without makeup Katie!! Very pretty!

67. Anna says:

Beautiful picture!

I wear make-up when I am at school teaching or when I have an interview or special event. When I know I am just going to be around the house I wash my face, put on moisturizer and that is it :) I keep my make-up simple when I do wear it: mineral powder foundation, mineral powder eye shadow (one light neutral color and sometimes a slightly darker color) and chap-stick. Sometimes I wear lipstick but I don’t like the way it makes my lips feel and I refuse to wear mascara any more since it makes my eyes feel heavy and sleepy.

68. Ragnhild says:

Great post Katie!! And you look beautiful as always- really no reason you should wear make up every day.
    Im really relaxed about make up. I only use a little (mascara, conciler under my eyes and blush) when Im at work or when I go out. I dont put on “party-make up” since I feel like I look stupid put on too much. If Im not working, just meeting friends or whatever, I often skip the mascara, and just put some blush on my cheeks. I like it natural :)

69. Amy says:

Here’s a new photo of me on my blog without makeup:

However, I never wear make up :)
    And by never, I mean I haven’t worn it since high school, over seven (eek!, did I really graduate that long ago) years ago.
    Sometimes I feel like I want to wear make up, but I really don’t even know how to use it anymore!

In fact, once, last year, I put my mom’s make up on to see what it would look like (like a little girl, haha). And it was terrrrible! So, I went to wash it all off and I got soap in my eyes, bad experience..

But, the simple fact is, I’m just too lazy/ I don’t really mind what my face looks like without it! :)

1. Beautiful!
      P.S. Loved reading about your cruise :).

70. Emily says:

I only where make-up when some one makes me, like for a play (they make boys where make-up too).

I don’t own make-up nor do I know how to put it on. Even when I interview or go to a party, I don’t wear make-up, and it doesn’t seem to have affected me negatively. (I got a perfect score in the interview portion of Academic Decathlon without it)

I think the secret here is that no one care what you look like really (well, maybe some men do, but who cares about them!?!). As long as you’re clean and put together, no one will think less of you. At least, that’s what I’ve seen in my experience.

1. So true! I think people (me included) worry and think others think about them more than they actually do… people are more worried about themselves than others! It’s like when you get a haircut and no one notices. You wonder why, but the truth is that people just are too busy worried about their own lives!

71. I wear makeup to work but when I am not working, NO MAKEUP!

99% of the pics on my blog are no makeup. From all the pics I just posted of myself in Aruba to the pics of me on my bday over the weekend, no makeup. So pretty much any pic on my blog, fair game for the No Makeup Challenge.

That said…when I do wear makeup, I love to have fun with it and am a Mac Makeup junkie and own tons of great colors and fun stuff and it’s fun for me to be girlie and embrace makeup too. Just like cooking, writing, photography, sewing, etc are all ways to do “art”, putting on makeup and creating various looks with it can be an art…and is fun for me to attempt!

72. Charissa says:

You are beeeeautiful without makeup! Seriously…gorgeous.

73. Lauren says:

I wish I had the guts to post a pic of me without makeup, i hardly post pics of me ever! lol i just think food is more interesting 😉 but you look so great naturally, of course!
    But yeah, i’m trying to get back into blogging, oh how i’ve missed it!!

74. I have a ton of pictures of me without make-up on my blog- they’re all taken after races too, so I look sweaty and red to boot! It doesn’t bother me- I am what I am :)

1. You are awesome! I need some of that self-confidence!

75. You’re SO gorgeous girl, make up or not! 😀

I hardly ever wear make up (all the pictures on my blog are me with no make up on). I wear it about once every couple months. I used to wear it more, but then I got really busy and decided that I don’t think it makes me look any better, just different. And since I love myself how I am, I don’t think it’s really worth it. Still, it is fun to wear some every once in a while 😉 And I agree that it isn’t fair the way society expects us to fit a certain image. I find it really sad when I see magazines that say stuff like “tips to be gorgeous.” We are all beautiful just how we are, and society makes that really difficult for us to accept. So glad you’re getting the message out there! :)

Love you girl!! <3 <3

76. Katie says:

I put up a makeupless picture on my blog! Yikes great movement though. I am in the midst of a breakout too, but I think it was timely to post the picture. You look gorgeous with or without make up though lady!

77. I never wear make-up and I’m in sweaty workout clothes 24/7. I actually had to wear make-up last week and I used some eye shadow that was about 10 years old and I still have a rash on my eyelids. Lovely. :)

1. Oh no! But lol I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who just uses any old makeup… I know they say to replace things every six months, but I can guarantee you that the eye shadow I sometimes wear is at least three years old! At least!

78. Mellie says:

You are so pretty, even without make up! I don’t wear make up yet, but I get to start very soon! I really need it though, unlike you.

79. You look great without makeup! I sometimes do not wear makeup, especially in the summer, but if I’m going somewhere I often do because my face is a lot more pale than the rest of my body…so frustrating..but I never go heavy on the makeup- that’s such a gross feeling!

80. My cousin had one of those dogs when we were little, and so did me and my sister (I think it was originally hers, but we mostly shared it)! I have no idea what happened to either of them, but I remember my sister’s looking a lot like yours after so many washes. I named it Candy because “she” was so cute and sweet looking. My cousin’s was named Ruppy Puppy. I don’t even think they make those anymore!

I don’t wear makeup often, mostly because I’m lazy. When I do, I don’t usually wear much anyway. I do love me some red lipstick, but when you wear it, you have to keep reapplying it until you’re ready to go to bed for the night (or wash it off, which isn’t always convenient). I don’t think makeup is required for beauty, though. Besides, your skin will look younger longer if you don’t wear makeup often!

81. Love this post! you are gorgeous :) this post features my sraggly bed head, before breakfast, no makeup, car ride hair haha quite a lookie!!

1. LOL! Oh my gosh, your expression is priceless!

82. I wear makeup pretty much every day. It’s been a goal of mine to get comfortable enough with myself to lessen the amount and frequency of the stuff I use. I’m getting better :-)

But YOU look absolutely gorgeous. perfect skin, complexion, long dark eyelashes, really. no need to cover that up!

83. Sam says:

Growing up, I rarely wore make up unless I was headed out for a special occasion. I was always too busy with school and sports to care much.

I recently started wearing makeup every day, buy I wear it because I want to and it makes me feel good and put together. I have no qualms about going out sans makeup and feel just as good without it. It’s something that I enjoy wearing but don’t depend on.

84. Hannah says:

this is such a great post, Katie! like everyone has already said, you are absolutely gorgeous and definitely don’t need to wear any makeup whatsoever.
    I very rarely wear any makeup, and when/if I do, usually VERY little. the only problem I’d say is that (like you!) people ALWAYS think I’m younger than I am. And this problem seems to be exacerbated a hundred-fold by not wearing makeup haha. I just finished my sophomore year of college, and a few weeks ago I had a professor ask me if I was really old enough to be in college, after which he proceeded to tell me I looked like I was 12 :/

1. :( I got that once too… I know I look young, but I don’t think I look twelve! LOL

1. Hannah says:

you definitely don’t look twelve! and I don’t think I do, either…ahh oh well.
        after he told me that, though, I went straight back to my room, changed from jeans and a sweatshirt into a nice shirt and a skirt, and put on some makeup…haha

85. Nathalie says:

No makeup, post run. I think the lighting might be hiding my tomato-esque visage a bit, hahaha.

86. I love makeup; I think it’s feminine and fun! It can totally spruce up a look. But I do agree, that it should be worn in moderation. Once I heard someone say, makeup should only be used to enhance your natural beauty- I like that and think it’s very true.

87. Hannah says:

Apart from playing around with my Mum’s makeup and dressing up when I was a kid, I’ve worn makeup twice. Honestly, I can’t be bothered, I don’t think it makes that much of a difference, and I hate feeling like a can’t put my hand on my face in case I mess it up.

88. *Andrea* says:

first off, those mini muffins look fantastic!!! i clicked the link to the recipe and the cookie cake looks soooo good. gooey chocolate chip cookies are the best comforting treat!

secondly, you are so beautiful with/without makeup! i commend you for encouraging your readers to realize this about themselves too!

1. Everything is better gooey! 😉

89. Mowenackie says:

I don’t wear make up (except on very rare occassions) and I can even go one better: I don’t dye my hair despite the fact that I’m going gray at 35. I try very hard not to let Western culture super-impose its particular standard of beauty on me. Besides, I figure after living through my husband’s two deployments, I’ve earned each and every one of those gray hairs! I’m not sure why we don’t value age or experience in this culture, but we don’t.

I recently posted a picture on my FB page where you can see me without make up, but with gray hair…and my soldier!

Great post idea. Thanks for putting it out there!

1. Aw I love your photo and your outlook. My dad has that same symbolic outlook… sometimes he even tells me stories about each grey hair. “I got this one when ______” etc. :)

90. Maddie says:
    Wooo! This is a cool idea :) I have no idea why the makeup-less photo is so tiny or why I’m so awful with computers! Those mini-muffins looked amazing,btw. I’m super jealous of your party guests!

91. Katy sparrow says:

Cool challenge for the blogosphere, katie! I am makeup-less in all of my pictures! I have never been a makeup wearer..and (on a related note, i think) I dont shave my legs or underarms! yea those 3 points do make me quite a bit different from most women..but it feels right for me and i never question my decision to not participate in shaving and makeup, despite being an otherwise participatpry member of society. Many, but not all, of my friends like shaving their legs and do wear makeup. I’m all for whatever makes people feel confident in their own skin, and if that means makeup or shaving, totally cool..but if not, power to ya!

1. Wow, you are so brave! I often don’t shave in the winter, but that’s just because no one will see my legs anyway… I hate the fact that society says women need to shave when men don’t. And yet I am weak and give in to that very same societal pressure. I admire you so much!

92. When I wear make up it’s usually only mascara. My staples are sunscreen and moisturizer.

93. J says:

For some of us going without makeup would be great, but our skin imperfections are zits. Zits are not a part of who I am naturally that I want to accept and embrace. They can go away and until they do I’m afraid I will be covering mine with makeup. When I look better I feel better and so makeup is worth it for me right now.

1. Definitely, using makeup to feel good about yourself is a good thing. :)

94. Amry says:

Katie, I LOVE your blog! I’m also a runner who tries to eat healthfully. I always look forward to reading your blog for your honesty, positivity, and great recipes. Thank you!

95. Damjana says:

I’m supposed to wear makeup at work. I minimize it so that it still looks nice but it’s not overloaded. I use moisturiser, a bit makeup powder, blush, eye shadow and mascara. It still looks natural and I feel pretty too.
    At home I don’t use makeup, just coconut oil or some other moisturiser, that’s it.
    More sweaty (umm do people really want that? ;)) and sans makeup pics of me to come on my blog!
    Greet Muttsee from me!

1. He says Woof! :)
      That’s hello, I guess!

96. I usually wear make-up out, with the exception of doing some running around and working out. It only takes me about 5 mins to do it, so that’s why I don’t mind putting it on, but if it took me longer (especially in summer), I’d probably go natural. You totally rock it! PS- totally have no make-up pics on my blog from yesterday!

1. LOL I love the bicep curl pic :). Too cute!

97. Georgia says:

Haha, that’s easy for me. The weird thing would be a picture on my blog where I am wearing makeup! I’m the lazy girl who gets up late and only has 10 minutes to shower and get ready, so I got in the habit of not wearing any makeup, and now I almost never put any on except for special occasions. I’ve found my breakout-prone skin thanks me for it!

98. Marissa says:

Ugh, I’m actually wearing makeup right now, and I HATE IT! I never wear makeup. I hate putting it on, I hate the way it feels, I hate not being able to touch my face or my eyes without messing it up… I’m wearing it right now though because I’m about to go take my senior photos for school. And last night my face decided to suddenly erupt in zits, lol…

99. Hey beautiful girl. I made your blondie cookie dough with cocoa powder, oats and greek yogurt and it was fabulous. I linked to it here:
    Also posted a picture with no makeup ;-D When I wear makeup I stick to mascara and blush.
    Hope you have a fabulous week.

100. lisa says:

Katie I did this challenge on my blog too!

101. Albizia says:

I like it when girls enjoy their natural beauty and don’t try to hide behind a mask of make up. I prefer people to like me for who I am, not for my artistic skills in hiding my flaws. I usually wear very light make up and try to spend less than 5 minutes in front of the mirror. And at this age we all look even younger without make up :) .

102. Angela says:

Let me just say I LOVE your blog and have officially added it to my toolbar! I love your recipes and try not to use a lot of sugar when baking/preparing foods also, I think the “no make-up” post is great, I believe women should just let their hair down every once in a while and not have to worry about putting on a face. That being said, thank you for being so inspirational and for posting such great recipes!!

1. Oh Angela, thank YOU for such sweet words!

103. Katie, I took your challenge & posted a picture of me with no make-up on! Check it out:

1. Aww it’s beautiful! (I commented on your post, too, but I’m not sure if it showed up or not.)

104. Alyssa says:

You’re beautiful, makeup or no!

I almost never wear makeup. After years of being on stage and having to slather it on (then spend 30 minutes getting it all off, lol!) I prefer to go au natural. Of course, now that I’m in my 40’s, have a couple of kids, and don’t sleep as much, i could probably use a little help, lol!

105. Heidi says:

Forget the makeup! You’re gorgeous. I wish I had a glow like yours :) I tend to only wear mascara and chapstick – it’s easy, but it took me a long time to skip the concealer and foundation. I have quite a lot of scarring from my acne-prone days. But I figure, my husband loves my face and my family does too.. so who cares what everyone else thinks!?
    And I’m with you on skipping the liquid eyeliner. I’ve hit my eyeball one too many times!

106. Michaela says:

I really love make up! (My grandmother used to have a beauty salon, so I got involved at a young age) And I think I have found a great balance, as there are many times when I am not wearing make up at all (like when I am at the gym or grocery shopping or when staying in), and there are other times when I love putting on a full facial make up, and my every day look doesn´t involve too many products, either. So, I am happy with it :)

107. Elle says:

Just because I feel I’m under-represented by the majority of comments here, I want to say that I love wearing eye makeup! I’ve got it down to a science and it only takes me a minute or two in the morning. Some girls have fun with fashion, but I don’t have the money to own much more clothing than absolutely necessary, and makeup is much less expensive to play around with. That said, I really dislike blush and tanning. Blush makes women look winded and weak in my opinion, at worst even clownish. Tanning is sad; everyone should feel comfortable with their own skin color and not have to risk cancer by trying to change it. I’ve heard there are dark-skinned girls who use dangerous skin-lightening cremes, too. We should love our skin, no matter the color, and respect all that it does for us.

By the way, I made your chocolate chip blondies and froze them! Your frozen blondies are my favorite dessert at the moment, thank you so much for posting the recipe!

1. Oh I wish you could teach me how to do eye makeup! I am so bad at it and therefore basically never do anything to my eyes (except sometimes mascara)!

108. Veronica says:

haha, I already posted my makeup-less pic, and on the post for your Hug-A-Vegan-Dessert feature, no less! I’m not afraid to bare my true face to all but I have a feeling that will change once my face is wrinkled and saggy. hehe

1. vicki says:

actually, not applying make-up will keep your face prettier longer… as long as you don’t forget the sunscreen!

109. Katie says:

You look beautiful without makeup–definitely don’t need it! I absolutely love this post and I totally agree with you! I think many women do think they have to wear makeup all the time in order to look prettier, when everyone has natural beauty without it.

That being said, I have to confess, I do wear makeup pretty much everyday and I’m a bit of a product junkie. Even though I usually wear makeup, I can go without it too and hate that some women seem to think they need to be wearing makeup all the time. I read an article recently asking women how long they went before letting their boyfriend see them ‘barefaced’ and many said as much as 6 months and that they will even wake up early to reapply makeup. That seems crazy to me….

1. Wow, that does seem like a long time! I’m surprised a relationship is able to last that long when the girl doesn’t even feel comfortable enough to not wear makeup in front of the guy!

110. Devon says:

I love that you posted a pic with no makeup. I rarely wear makeup and I think more girls and women shouldn’t feel like they have to wear makeup to be beautiful. We should embrace the way we look and show off our natural beauty. Everyone has imperfections and If we all are able to accept that we would be happier with who we are.

1. So true! And honestly, I think we girls put more pressure on each other to look a certain way than guys put on us!

111. bitt of raw says:

You look great in them! I personally dislike when people wear too much makeup, it looks fake. I don’t really wear makeup often, only rarely some concealer if I have a break-out and some lip gloss or lipstick for fun sometimes. I used to wear eye makeup but it bothers my eyes and they swell up. Not worth it!

112. Patrick says:

Came across your page on stumble upon. I’ve had the same stuffed dog since the day I was born! Only seen one other before. crazy

1. I have a baby-sized one too! His name (the name on the Gund tag) is “Puddles” :).

113. sparkling74 says:

Every picture I have on my blog, except my senior picture one, is without make up. I stopped wearing it a long time ago and only on a very rare occasion will put some on. This could be why someone guessed my age 12 years older than I am the other day!!! So sad….

1. Hey, but at least you save a lot of time not having to put it on and take it off every day! :)

114. vicki says:

You are seriously so pretty I’m not sure why you’d need make-up. You lucked out w/ naturally beautiful skin. It even looks like you have blush on in the picture :)

I am also very fair and I’ve decided that if Nicole Kidman can rock it, so can i! Do you ever have people comment that “you need to get a tan?” It’s a veiled way of saying “you aren’t attractive.. or pretty… or your appearance isn’t acceptable” I’m amazed that people not only deicde that my natural skin tone is not attractive, but they feel the need to tell me that! Insensitivity can so easily damage another person. I’m so glad girls your age are learning not to take it now! Self-assuradeness is probably what makes one most attractive.
    Regarding make-up: I hate it. But, I do put it on for date night.

As a fair skinned girl I will just tell you not to skip your sun screen. I had nice skin until I got close to 40 and suddenly all of these sun spots (seems ironic since I can’t tan) both brown and red started peppering my face. Now I’m working double time trying to lighten them w/expensive creams.

I do love your message! Keep spreading it. True beauty is natural beauty. :) I love that women your age are figuring that that out so much younger. :)

115. Katie says:

You still look gorgeous! I often don’t wear make-up either, mostly because it makes me break out (even the supposedly “gentle” Bare Minerals), and I’ve discovered that my skin has really improved since I’ve stopped wearing foundation and concealer. I recently went a whole month without wearing make-up, not even to work, and I actually really loved not having any on. :)

116. Alyssa says:

These oatmeal cakes are awesome! I made the reeses peanut butter one today, deff making the cinnamon bun one tomorrow. I love make-up, I always wear it. Even if I don’t have time to do a full face, a little mascara and lipgloss makes me feel better. :-)

117. Wish I looked this fresh-faced and beautiful sans makeup! Sigh…