Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream

If you’re on a diet:

You will love this recipe because it makes a gigantic serving for only 40 calories. (Seriously, the serving is huge.) Who eats a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream anways? 😕

If you’re not on a diet:

You will love this recipe because you can up the calories by making it into a brownie sundae, by pouring on chocolate syrup, or by opting for the peanut butter version. Yes, there is a peanut butter version.

volume ice cream

Above: a sundae with an Ultimate Fudge Brownie.

Really, I’m obsessed with those brownies. As for the ice cream: it could not be easier to make, and there are unlimited variations—you can add coffee, mint extract, fruit, chocolate chips… I haven’t even begun to try out all the combinations I’ve dreamed up for this incredibly-versatile recipe.

ice cream

Volume Ice Cream

(Makes 1 huge serving)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (or about 1/4 of a vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise and scraped out)
  • 1/16 tsp salt (trust me)
  • sweetener (such as 1-2 stevia packets or 1-2 tbsp sugar)
  • 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened Silk. See below for substitution notes.)
  • optional: add-ins such as fruit, peanut butter, or extracts

Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the container (I thaw for 30 seconds in the microwave first) and blend in your Vita-Mix. (If you don’t have a vita-mix, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk.)

View Nutrition Information

This ice cream—when made with almond milk—has a very light texture (perfect for summer). For a creamier texture that’s more like real ice cream, try using at least 1/4c canned coconut milk (or maybe even creamer?). You can, of course, also sub other non-dairy milks for the almond. But if you do this, play around with the amount of vanilla extract, sweetener, and add-ins. (For example, an already-sweetened milk will probably need less added sweetener.) To make it look like real ice cream, scoop out with an ice-cream scoop.

Warning:

This is an extremely voluminous recipe, so if you’re like me and need to watch that you don’t get full before you’ve taken in enough calories, I recommend eating this as part of a sundae or adding some extras to the basic recipe. ‘Cause it will fill you right up!

chocolate-chip-cookie-pie

This goes really well with Deep-Dish Cookie Pie.

Just thought I’d throw that out there. I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to use that photo, since it’s one of my favorites.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Pureglow*16 says:

Katie. You are genius. Have I ever told you that? You made this icecream look so georgous in this picture!!! I’m excited to try it! I’ve never gotten my scoops looking that pretty from home-made icecream! What is your trick? haha. wait NOW I SEE a post for that!!!!! 😀
    And what I would add? I would add my freezer chocolate chips (:

xo
    Em

1. 🙂 you’re so sweet!

Yes, the trick is to use an ice cream scoop!

2. hippierunner says:

Ice cream overload!! Not only is this recipe a great idea, there is a neighborhood market within walking distance of me that serves vegan ice cream by the scoop AND a vegan ice cream shop nearby too. I will definitely be prepared when it gets really hot this summer. 🙂

I already have this ice cream in the freezer (ran over there once I read the recipe) and I think I will top some of this ice cream with blondie batter. YUM!

1. Good call!! It’ll be like cookie dough ice cream!

3. Oh holy deliciousness 🙂 My favorite flavor is probably vanilla with either cookie dough or reese’s peanut butter cups!

4. Lisa says:

i cant beleive i didnt think of this, its so simple! including regular milk= ice cream. almond milk= healthier ice cream!!
    haha thank you katie!!
    I would add peanut flour for protein and pb flavor, along with swirls of jelly for a pb&J ice cream! 🙂

5. Lisa says:

oh, and my fav is cookie dough ice cream. im guilty of taking out all the cookie dough pieces and leaving nothing but chocolate chips and vanilla ice cream for the next person to eat. OOPS 🙂

6. VeggieGirl says:

I love any ice cream flavor with chocolate 😀

7. Lilly says:

Yes, we do this all the time in my family and have added frozen fruit puree to some and frozen coffee cubes as well except yours looks wayyy better and much more like actual ice cream. Usually mine turns out more like a milkshake or frosty but still good, I would love a vita mix tho ahhhh.

8. So easy and healthy! A classic Katie recipe. 🙂 I would add peanut butter and chocolate, of course.

1. Hahaha yes, all my recipes are easy because I am the laziest cook ever! (Or really because I am busy with other things and don’t want to spend the day in the kitchen!)

9. Amber K says:

How neat! I never would have thought to try this. Sounds yummy!

10. Shannon says:

making this now and dipping in my guilt free chocolate chip cookies i made yesterday AS SOON as it comes out of the freezer!!!!

11. I bet you could add cocoa powder to make this chocolate ice cream 🙂

12. Vegan Alexandra says:

What version of Vitamix do you have?
    I’d really like to buy one, but I’m not about to invest 450-500 dollars for the 5200 one :/

Will the older versions work for this?

1. My version says it’s a 5200, but it’s at least 5 years old… so I’m sure it’s not the newest version. I think any vita-mix will probably work!

13. Abby says:

My favorite ice cream is definitely Mint Chocolate Chip! 🙂

14. Tamar says:

I just got a Vitamix the other day! So excited to try this!

15. Nicky says:

Mmmm ice creammm 🙂 I am so going to try and make a PB ice cream and a cookie dough ice cream!! Oooh and a snickerdoodle one!

16. Lenna (veganlenna) says:

Wow, and I have thought that the only voluminious thing possible were oats :)) AI love this, thanks for the recipe 🙂
    My fave ice-cream? Cinnamon, vanilla, pistacchio – three favourite flavours for me:)

17. Yay for big portion sizes! My favorite ice cream flavor (like many other commenters) is chocolate chip cookie dough. But I was also a big fan of Phish Food before I went vegan.

1. Serena says:

Phish food was my all time favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavor back in the day. 😉

Thanks for the recipe, Katie! I’ve been making banana ice cream for years (recipe: 1 frozen banana) and it’s never even occurred to me to try blending frozen soy milk instead of pure frozen fruit. I’ve just put a batch of soon to be peppermint ice cream in the freezer (using an ice cube tray).

I need to buy a proper ice cream scoop, though, so it’ll be pretty when it comes out 😀

1. I hope you like it! I really need to try the peppermint version!

1. Serena says:

If it turns out well, I’ll be sure to blog about it (linking back to you, of course). 🙂 But I’ve just realized you already did do a peppermint version (sort of) with the bananas & spinach.

18. Such a good idea! I would totally eat all of this myself- huge portion for only 80 calories, whoop whoop! I love the fact that you post in the morning because then I always have an idea of what to eat the rest of the day 🙂

1. LOL you will get REALLY cold!
      I get cold just eating 1/2! 🙂

19. Katie what a great recipe! I’ve thought of making something simple like this with almond milk~so it works! 😀

20. Holly @ The Runny Egg says:

This looks so good! Too bad my Magic Bullet is awful at these sorts of recipes 🙁

Favorite ice cream: I love strawberry but my absolute favorite is cookies n cream!

1. I bet it could manage a sorta Wendy’s-frosty type texture!

2. ariella says:

ik . . . my only thing sort of like a food processor is a magic bullet!