Chocolate-Raspberry Sauce

Chocolate or Vanilla?

The subject of today’s post is once again chocolate. You didn’t think I’d ignore it two days in a row, did you?

chocolate syrup

Above, on top of my Voluminous Ice Cream.

The sauce is actually not my recipe; it’s Barleans Essential Woman chocolate-raspberry swirl. I discovered this healthy chocolate sauce while shopping at my local health food store. Don’t ask me why, but they were giving out free samples. Yes, on a spoon. Weird, right?

Or maybe not so weird… I certainly never would’ve bought it on my own. But as soon as I read it was vegan, I was all over those free samples.

essentialWomanSwirl_lg

Barleans Essential Woman Chocolate-Raspberry Swirl

Oh my chocolate cream pie, this stuff is good. And—bonus—it’s rich in Omega-3s, 6s and 9s! I’m a big believer in only eating foods that taste good, regardless of their health benefits. If it doesn’t taste good, I’m not eating it. (So keep that wheatgrass away from me, thanks.)

This healthy chocolate syrup, while packing a nutritional punch, manages to taste like real chocolate syrup. It’s also sugar free. (Side note: The info on their website is outdated; this sauce is, in fact, vegan.)

Question of the Day:

Chocolate or Vanilla?

You know where my loyalties lie! Just in case, here’s a clue.

Tags:

1. CHOCOLATE ALL THE WAY BABY!! I think you knew that too 😉

That sauce sounds AMAZING!! And it’s vegan?! I’m definitely looking out for it when go to the States in a month! 😀

P.S. “Oh my chocolate cream pies”?! WAY better than Oh My Muppets if you ask me 😛

1. Lo says:

Haha I like both sayings! And how come the US has such yummy things?!?

2. Val says:

I prefer chocolate, unless it’s ice cream then defs vanilla. As much as I love chocolate I really don’t like chocolate ice cream that much

1. I’m the exact same way. Give me chocolate any day unless it’s cake or ice cream. Then my preference is most definitely vanilla. 🙂

3. Lauren says:

I love CHOCOLATE! Katie – That Chocolate Raspberry Sauce looks amazing! Will there be a future Copy-Cat Recipe?!

1. LOL probably not… I’ll just keep buying this one. I could try to make something homemade for cheaper, but if I wanted to keep it high in omega 3s, I’d have to buy flax oil anyway.

4. CHOCOLATE!!! But I’m beginning to appreciate vanilla too! To me, vanilla used to always be the “plain flavour”, the “default” flavour, but for some odd reason, starting this year, I’ve started to like vanilla too for being unique itself! 😀
    Your Chocolate-Rasberry sauce looks perfect as a glaze for a batch of freshly baked cinnamon rolls! MMMmmmm….

5. Tricia says:

I so used to be a vanilla girl, but as i got older, I discovered the great taste of chocolate 😛

6. VEGirl says:

I love both vanilla and chocolate– they both have there respective places to shine 🙂

7. Katy sparrow says:

When given a choice for ice cream, vanilla! but I’m def gonna look for that lovely sauce to top my vanilla ice creams with! I’m still a chocolate fan through and through, esp. the hard stuff and straight up nibs. i’m going to my fav independent movie theater today and i recall that they have endangered species bars and I have no idea wha flava i’ll get but i’m stoked 🙂

8. I’m pretty impartial to both vanilla and chocolate. If I eat too much chocolate I crave vanilla and if I eat lots of vanilla flavored foods I crave chocolate.
    PS – Congrats on your highest traffic day! I love it when that happens! 😀

9. Jennifer JCD says:

I’m a vanilla girl, but my husband… you read about his favourite ice cream yesterday so you know he’s almost your twin. Don’t worry, I still like chocolate, just in smaller doses. 🙂

1. Could you possibly tell me about your husband’s favorite ice cream again?
      Hehe just kidding ;).

10. Jenny says:

Chocolate, all. the. way.

I have to admit, though, I prefer vanilla ice cream to go alongside chocolate cake, or a chocolate chip cookie cake. 😀 I’ve been a chocolate girl since I was little, even though my family is made up of vanilla-lovers.

I first discovered that delicious syrup back in January! It’s pretty delicious, eh? Their other flavours are good too! 🙂

1. I still have to try the berry one… but something tells me I won’t like it as much as the chocolate ;).

11. Gen says:

Yum! Chocolate is my favorite! 😀
    That sauce looks/sounds amazing!

12. Joanna says:

Don’t make me pick sides! Seriously, I love vanilla ice cream, frosting and cake, but can’t imagine life without dark chocolate, chocolate chips or brownies.

FYI, I wanted to give you a head’s up that your Faves link appears not to be working. When I click on it, I get a 404 error message.

1. Oh my WORD, thank you for telling me!!! I have apparently had that up wrong for three days, and you’re the first one to tell me this! I cannot thank you enough!
      Hopefully I fixed it now.

13. Charissa says:

Chocolate for everything except ice-cream…than vanilla….so delicious girl!

14. Kim says:

As much as I LOVE good chocolate, good vanilla is hard to beat, and since vanilla is often an essential ingredient in chocolate I have to say I love both and usually at the same time! See? No need to choose!

I checked out Barlean’s site and they have a distributor in Vancouver! That’s pretty close to me so there’s a chance that it’s available here. If I had seen it at the store without first reading your rave review I would have thought, “yeah right,” and passed it by. Will definitely have to look for it now 🙂

15. Lisa says:

i LOVE that barleans stuff! I eat it every morning with my breakfast! I think it tastes just like chocolate syrup, and the people in my house wont touch it bc I tell them its fish oil. HA! I love being sneaky 😉

QOTD- chocolate for lifeeeeeeee. I remember hating vanilla ice cream when I was younger because I said it tasted “blumpy”. aka, it had the vanilla beans in it! hahaha dont get me wrong, I love vanilla ice ceam now, but ill always be a chocolate person!

1. LOL that’s too funny!
      When I was younger, I’d tell my little cousin that my snacks were medicine so she wouldn’t want any and I could have them all for myself!

1. Lisa says:

hahahha were so sneaky 😉 all in the name of tasty food!

16. I’m a vanilla girl in terms of ice cream and cake. BUT, I do like a good fudge swirl. Or just plain chocolate. So…I guess I am both!

17. Mellie says:

I like vanilla and chocolate equally, except for ice cream-it’s the only thing i hate in chocolate..

18. CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!

I don’t usually like things that are just vanilla, unless they are covered in chocolate!!!

1. Lo says:

Even when I have vanilla things covered in chocolate, I’m wishing it were something CHOCOLATE covered in chocolate ;).

19. I liek (dark) chocolate candy.. but for ice cream, fro yo, and cake.. I am a vanilla girl!

20. Omg that sauce looks AMAZING!! I hope they have it at my Whole Foods! 🙂

Chocolate. Definitely chocolate. Although I do very much enjoy a good vanilla treat (as long as it’s VERY vanilla-y… or french vanilla ice cream, LOVE that stuff! 😀 ) But if it comes down to chocolate or vanilla, I always end up with chocolate 😉 I think I get that from my grandma. She always says, “I never met a chocolate that I didn’t like.” I have had a few chocolates that just don’t taste good to me, but for the most part, my grandma and I are on the same page. 😀

Have a wonderful rest of the week, Katie!

<3 <3