Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate-Raspberry Sauce

Chocolate or Vanilla?

The subject of today’s post is once again chocolate. You didn’t think I’d ignore it two days in a row, did you?

chocolate syrup

Above, on top of my Voluminous Ice Cream.

The sauce is actually not my recipe; it’s Barleans Essential Woman chocolate-raspberry swirl. I discovered this healthy chocolate sauce while shopping at my local health food store. Don’t ask me why, but they were giving out free samples. Yes, on a spoon. Weird, right?

Or maybe not so weird… I certainly never would’ve bought it on my own. But as soon as I read it was vegan, I was all over those free samples.

Barleans Essential Woman Chocolate-Raspberry Swirl

Oh my chocolate cream pie, this stuff is good. And—bonus—it’s rich in Omega-3s, 6s and 9s! I’m a big believer in only eating foods that taste good, regardless of their health benefits. If it doesn’t taste good, I’m not eating it. (So keep that wheatgrass away from me, thanks.)

This healthy chocolate syrup, while packing a nutritional punch, manages to taste like real chocolate syrup. It’s also sugar free. (Side note: The info on their website is outdated; this sauce is, in fact, vegan.)

Question of the Day:

Chocolate or Vanilla?

You know where my loyalties lie! Just in case, here’s a clue.

1. I really need to attempt the ice cream from yesterday… it doesn’t get much healthier or easier than your recipe! Amazing

PS: Your skin is gorgeous you don’t need makeup :)

2. CHOCOLATE ALL THE WAY BABY!! I think you knew that too 😉

That sauce sounds AMAZING!! And it’s vegan?! I’m definitely looking out for it when go to the States in a month! 😀

P.S. “Oh my chocolate cream pies”?! WAY better than Oh My Muppets if you ask me 😛

1. Lo says:

Haha I like both sayings! And how come the US has such yummy things?!?

3. Val says:

I prefer chocolate, unless it’s ice cream then defs vanilla. As much as I love chocolate I really don’t like chocolate ice cream that much

1. I’m the exact same way. Give me chocolate any day unless it’s cake or ice cream. Then my preference is most definitely vanilla. :)

4. Lauren says:

I love CHOCOLATE! Katie – That Chocolate Raspberry Sauce looks amazing! Will there be a future Copy-Cat Recipe?!

1. LOL probably not… I’ll just keep buying this one. I could try to make something homemade for cheaper, but if I wanted to keep it high in omega 3s, I’d have to buy flax oil anyway.

5. CHOCOLATE!!! But I’m beginning to appreciate vanilla too! To me, vanilla used to always be the “plain flavour”, the “default” flavour, but for some odd reason, starting this year, I’ve started to like vanilla too for being unique itself! 😀
    Your Chocolate-Rasberry sauce looks perfect as a glaze for a batch of freshly baked cinnamon rolls! MMMmmmm….

6. Tricia says:

I so used to be a vanilla girl, but as i got older, I discovered the great taste of chocolate 😛

7. VEGirl says:

I love both vanilla and chocolate– they both have there respective places to shine :)

8. Katy sparrow says:

When given a choice for ice cream, vanilla! but I’m def gonna look for that lovely sauce to top my vanilla ice creams with! I’m still a chocolate fan through and through, esp. the hard stuff and straight up nibs. i’m going to my fav independent movie theater today and i recall that they have endangered species bars and I have no idea wha flava i’ll get but i’m stoked :)

9. I’m pretty impartial to both vanilla and chocolate. If I eat too much chocolate I crave vanilla and if I eat lots of vanilla flavored foods I crave chocolate.
    PS – Congrats on your highest traffic day! I love it when that happens! 😀

10. I love that it is called “essential woman” — it should be “essential FOR women” :)

I love chocolate and vanilla, although I probably prefer vanilla a little more.

1. Haha chocolate, itself, is essential for women!! :)

11. Jennifer JCD says:

I’m a vanilla girl, but my husband… you read about his favourite ice cream yesterday so you know he’s almost your twin. Don’t worry, I still like chocolate, just in smaller doses. :)

1. Could you possibly tell me about your husband’s favorite ice cream again?
      Hehe just kidding ;).

12. Hannah says:

I much prefer chocolate in general, but I usually prefer vanilla ice cream to go with other things. Actually, probably one of the best things is something rich and chocolatey with vanilla ice cream.

13. Elle says:

That sauce looks delicious! I go through phases with chocolate and vanilla. Right now, I love vanilla. I’m sure it won’t be too long until I’m back to chocolate though :)

14. Jenny says:

Chocolate, all. the. way.

I have to admit, though, I prefer vanilla ice cream to go alongside chocolate cake, or a chocolate chip cookie cake. 😀 I’ve been a chocolate girl since I was little, even though my family is made up of vanilla-lovers.

I first discovered that delicious syrup back in January! It’s pretty delicious, eh? Their other flavours are good too! :)

1. I still have to try the berry one… but something tells me I won’t like it as much as the chocolate ;).

15. Gen says:

Yum! Chocolate is my favorite! 😀
    That sauce looks/sounds amazing!

16. Chocolate yes yes yes! I love it. I’ve seen that swirl stuff in stores, but never tried it!

17. Joanna says:

Don’t make me pick sides! Seriously, I love vanilla ice cream, frosting and cake, but can’t imagine life without dark chocolate, chocolate chips or brownies.

FYI, I wanted to give you a head’s up that your Faves link appears not to be working. When I click on it, I get a 404 error message.

1. Oh my WORD, thank you for telling me!!! I have apparently had that up wrong for three days, and you’re the first one to tell me this! I cannot thank you enough!
      Hopefully I fixed it now.

18. Charissa says:

Chocolate for everything except ice-cream…than vanilla….so delicious girl!

19. Kim says:

As much as I LOVE good chocolate, good vanilla is hard to beat, and since vanilla is often an essential ingredient in chocolate I have to say I love both and usually at the same time! See? No need to choose!

I checked out Barlean’s site and they have a distributor in Vancouver! That’s pretty close to me so there’s a chance that it’s available here. If I had seen it at the store without first reading your rave review I would have thought, “yeah right,” and passed it by. Will definitely have to look for it now :)

20. Lisa says:

i LOVE that barleans stuff! I eat it every morning with my breakfast! I think it tastes just like chocolate syrup, and the people in my house wont touch it bc I tell them its fish oil. HA! I love being sneaky 😉

QOTD- chocolate for lifeeeeeeee. I remember hating vanilla ice cream when I was younger because I said it tasted “blumpy”. aka, it had the vanilla beans in it! hahaha dont get me wrong, I love vanilla ice ceam now, but ill always be a chocolate person!

1. LOL that’s too funny!
      When I was younger, I’d tell my little cousin that my snacks were medicine so she wouldn’t want any and I could have them all for myself!

1. Lisa says:

hahahha were so sneaky 😉 all in the name of tasty food!

21. I’m a vanilla girl in terms of ice cream and cake. BUT, I do like a good fudge swirl. Or just plain chocolate. So…I guess I am both!

22. Mellie says:

I like vanilla and chocolate equally, except for ice cream-it’s the only thing i hate in chocolate..

23. CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!

I don’t usually like things that are just vanilla, unless they are covered in chocolate!!!

1. Lo says:

Even when I have vanilla things covered in chocolate, I’m wishing it were something CHOCOLATE covered in chocolate ;).

24. I liek (dark) chocolate candy.. but for ice cream, fro yo, and cake.. I am a vanilla girl!

25. Omg that sauce looks AMAZING!! I hope they have it at my Whole Foods! :)

Chocolate. Definitely chocolate. Although I do very much enjoy a good vanilla treat (as long as it’s VERY vanilla-y… or french vanilla ice cream, LOVE that stuff! 😀 ) But if it comes down to chocolate or vanilla, I always end up with chocolate 😉 I think I get that from my grandma. She always says, “I never met a chocolate that I didn’t like.” I have had a few chocolates that just don’t taste good to me, but for the most part, my grandma and I are on the same page. 😀

Have a wonderful rest of the week, Katie!

<3 <3

26. Ohh that vanilla ice cream yesterday looked fantastic! But unfortunately I don’t have a vitamix, so I don’t know if mine will turn out as creamy as yours! And I’m a total chocolate girl- all the way. Vanilla I can take or leave, but chocolate always sounds appealing! And that sauce is cool! How random that they would give samples on a spoon? They should have put it on a little ice cream and I bet even more people would have bought it!

27. I cannot pick!! they both just taste amazing together!!! add a little strawberry in their too and I am one happyhappy camper!! ( or peanut butter or mint…) haha so many flavour loves to choose from :)

28. Ann Claire says:

Chocolate AND vanilla! I don’t pick favorite :)

29. Oh chocolate all the way for me please!

30. I am totally a vanilla lover so that post yesterday was one of my faves for sure! I actually have mine in

1. oops got cut off…..i have mine in the freezer right now, ready for blending later!!!

31. Hannah says:

chocolate, hands down. although your vanilla ice cream from yesterday does look delicious…especially on top of the CHOCOLATE chip cookie pie! 😉

32. Katherine says:

I’m totally a vanilla girl. I add vanilla to everything! Though I also like wheatgrass, so maybe I’m just weird like that.

33. Abby says:

Chocolate all the way! :)

34. Melissa says:

The expression is, “that’s so vanilla” for a reason! Cho-co-late, baby!

35. such a toss up for me honestly. I love vanilla based ice creams so much better than chocolate. But dark chocolate bars are my absolute favorite treat, and I even like unsweetened chocolate a lot too. So both!

36. I definitely want to try making my own ice cream this summer..and better with that sauce, too! Between chocolate and vanilla, I honestly like the swirl haha. That way you don’t have to choose!

37. Katherine says:

Ummm, strawberry…or well any fruit.
    Nah, probably vanilla.

O, I forgot to tell you. I got some amazing chocolate in Guatemala. It is 100%, and then a 78%. One more than is 100% but has like added cinnamon and something else to put in hot water/milk as a drink. Soooo good.

38. I used to like vanilla everything, but strangely, I started loving chocolate so much more after I gave up sugar!!! Weird, huh? Yet, I LOVE it dark, bitter, and unsweetened!

39. Jessy says:

Chocolate. No doubt there.

40. Chocolate or Vanilla?
    That is so hard

Vanilla lattes, vanilla frosting on choc cake, vanilla extract infused anything

Chocolate brownies, chocolate chips in cookies, chocolate just to eat

They both have their place. I cannot choose. B/c the *right* vanilla thing can be just as good as chocolate :)

1. Lo says:

Mmm vanilla lattes. So good!

41. Chocolate – forever and always.

42. Lauren W says:

In answer to your question: chocolate!!

43. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Without a doubt!

44. Totally gotta go with the chocolate..vanilla is awesome sometimes, but chocolate is just soo much better :) I will be posting pics of myself later without makeup on and in a bikini (we were at the beach today)…yikes!

45. Lo says:

But like Averie, I also like vanilla lattes. Maybe with some chocolate syrup?

46. Oooo! That’s a toughie! Can I have both please?!??

47. Sarahishealthy says:

You could be their spokesmodel. You’re so gorgeous! :)
    And I think you convinced me to buy some!

48. Nathalie says:

I actually have never been the biggest fan of many fruit + chocolate combos. I tend to find the natural tart-sweetness of fruit clashes with the natural bitterness of chocolate. Of course, that’s not the case with bananas, and I will admit I tend to like many combos more when I actually TASTE them than I think I will when I’m considering them.

Anywho, I completely get you on liking it when people challenge your point of view. My sister and I would often debate topics with each other with great vigor. So much so that our parents or our friends would try to “break up the fight.” The minute they started trying to “defuse” us, we’d look at them like they were off their rockers and say, “We’re not *fighting*, we’re *debating*.” There was never any malice in it X3.

And my vote…. uh… man that’s a hard choice. I love chocolate, but I also love vanilla’s versatility. For example, I always buy vanilla flavored protein powder because then I can use in everything, and if I want chocolate I only need to add cocoa powder =D. So I guess I’m on the fence! Hahah.

1. That sounds just like my mom! She’s always uncomfortable when I get into debates with people (especially political debates!). But some of those debates have completely changed my views on things!

49. Ragnhild says:

Beautiful photoes!
    For me, nothing beats chocolate! I love vanilla, but Chocolate and I have a really special relationship- and nothing can tear us apart!!

1. M. says:

Ha! Me too! Vanilla and I are friends, but chocolate is my boyfriend 😉

50. Serena says:

Chocolate all the way. :) Actually, I really only like chocolate when it’s very rich and very dark (ie. molten lava cakes, dark chocolate bars, thick “tsokolate” with ground peanuts). I love to eat vanilla ice cream (especially with real vanilla beans!) on the side of/ on top of warm apple pies, other warm baked goods, etc.

1. M. says:

Oh I think we need a healthy lava cake recipe, Katie!

51. I’m with you girlfriend! Gotta go with the chocolate :-)

52. Veronica says:

That sauce sounds killer! And yeah. Chocolate all the way.

53. Chocolate! Add some cocoa powder to your ice cream (or use chocolate almond milk) and I think you’ll get even more traffic.

1. LOL that’s my fro-co recipe 😉
      But it didn’t get nearly as much as the vanilla one! (In its defense, I posted that recipe a few months ago… so maybe it was just a timing thing. Or maybe people just like vanilla better because it’s so much more versatile!)

54. Chocolate for sure! I just made the ice cream recipe you posted yesterday and added cocoa powder :)

55. chocolate. could not live without it!

56. BroccoliHut says:

I’m a chocolate girl too! I have to say that it bugs me that both my dad and my boyfriend are plain Jane vanilla people–whenever we get frozen yogurt, they never add any toppings! Just straight up vanilla. Harumph.

57. Sarah says:

I’m honestly more of a vanilla girl!! However.. chocolate on top of any vanilla recipe makes for a completely balanced meal 😉

58. Alina says:

Vanilla by far. It’s my # 1 on my list, coconut is # 2, chocolate… not sure if it is within the first 10 most yummiest :). but i do dig on the cacao beans in the raw- in all their bitter glory

59. Anna says:

I love quality chocolate but when it comes to ice cream I usually stick with a vanilla base and add to that depending on my mood :)

60. Adam says:

have to go with vanilla..

don’t get me wrong, i loveee chocolate, but more so as an accent.. like as a sauce, or a mix-in or add-in, as opposed to the main flavor.. unless of course we’re talking brownies, that’s an exception 😉

61. Vogelstar says:

It’s incredible what they come up with in the health food world. Back when i first became vegetarian, there were so few items to choose from, there was basically a bad veggie burger or a bad veggie hot dog and only one company made them. Now here we are with healthy chocolate sauce. It’s almost overwhelming with all the products but so very exciting. Ps, chocolate all the way

1. Oh my gosh, I know! We are SO spoiled! My friends ask me how I can be vegan and give up things like ice cream… I answer that I really don’t have to! They even make vegan mozarella sticks now. Probably not the healthiest thing lol… but hey, they exist!

62. Marissa says:

My nutritionist gave me a sample of that stuff! It was pretty good. I was expecting it to taste all oily and nasty… but it was really just like chocolate sauce (which I’ve never been that big of a fan of anyways–gets kinda sickly after a while!)

63. Dina S says:

How do you manage to take such gorgeous pictures especially mid-pouring? Also, how do you always have different bowls and layout materials, where do you keep them? Who takes the pictures of you?

1. It’s hard! I usually use a tripod for pouring photos, but even still I take a lot before getting one good shot. Right now I don’t have a lot of bowls/plates, as I just moved. In my old home, I had them all in a closet with shelves. And usually my friends take the photos, but now that I have an iphone I sometimes try and be coordinated enough to take my own. It doesn’t always work ;).