Homemade Ice Cream 101

Eeeeek!

Y’all, there was salad on my blog yesterday. Salad.

What’s a salad doing on a dessert blog? Never fear, dear readers, I have the perfect remedy for this: ice cream! (Well, maybe the perfect remedy would be chocolate mousse pie. But ice cream is a close second. And I promise to work on that pie!)

I finally tried a mint-chocolate chip version of the Volume Ice Cream.

It was just as delicious as I imagined. I’ll try to get the recipe post up next week. In the meantime, I thought I’d highlight a few of the variations I’ve already blogged about. Some of these posts are from over a year ago, so it was really fun for me to see my evolving photo skills!

sundae

Chocolate Peanut Butter

When I posted this recipe, I actually called it “peanut butter frozen hot cocoa” but the method is the same as that of the volume ice cream.

coffee1

3-Ingredient Coffee

This one’s from a long time ago, and I probably need to re-visit the recipe. I’m going to work on turning it into a healthy “Starbucks Frappuccino” recipe.

pb2

Peanut Butter Banana

Peanut butter and banana: always a classic. And I think this was one of the first-ever photos I took after learning you’re not supposed to use flash with food photography.

serendipity-hot-chocolate

Hot Chocolate Ice Cream

Also known as Frozen Hot Chocolate. Another recipe I need to re-visit. There are just too many!

icecreamsundae2

Vanilla Bean

cake-ice-cream

Cake Batter Ice Cream

Ice Cream Notes:

This ice cream—when made with almond milk—has a very light texture (perfect for summer). But if you want a texture that mimics the richness of true ice cream, you can still get that with this recipe. Just use coconut milk (the kind that comes in a can) as your non-dairy milk.

Also, if you don’t have a high-powered blender like a Vita-Mix, you can still make these recipes. They will just be more like a Wendy’s Frosty than ice cream, in terms of texture.

Tags:

1. Cherry Chocolate Chip would be great – especially with fresh cherries YUM! I cannot wait to try your hot chocolate ice cream!

2. Allie says:

Woah-oah-oah, if you get a healthy frappuccino recipe up here, I will be one happy, happy girl. I don’t have a vitamix, but today’s going to be hot, so I just might have to make myself a “frosty.”

3. Pistacio Almond is one of my favorites!! :)

4. hmmm I think I could be persuaded to do some ice cream taste testing 😉
    as for flavors, I’ve got a couple of ideas! chocolate-raspberry, rocky road (with vegan marshmallows of course!), pecan praline, mocha almond fudge, moose tracks…
    it could also be really fun to “healthify” popular flavors from brands like Ben & Jerry’s. so things like NY Super Fudge Chunk, Cherry Garcia, Phish Food, etc. (obviously this would be a bit more work, but some flavors, like chocolate fudge brownie, really wouldn’t be all that hard. i.e. just take your chocolate brownie and mix in bits of your brownies!)

1. oops I meant to say just take your chocolate ice cream and mix in bits of brownies! haha

5. What about peach ice cream or pistachio? Those are two of my favorite flavors.

Also, have any interest in sharing this post in my summer recipes blog hop? http://www.favedietsblog.com/the-healthy-hop-june-edition/

1. Aww sure, Matt! I’d be honored :)

6. What about a tropical flavour? pineapples, coconut, macadamia nuts, papaya! that kind of thing!

7. Mmmm…how about a “Chocolate-Covered Strawberry” ice cream flavor?

8. I vote for pumpkin cheesecake! My husband would love you for teaching me how to make this 😀

9. Jen says:

I was wondering if you needed a high speed blender. I have a pretty regular blender, but will give these a try now!

10. I just did some flavours! Yesterday I made your Volume ice cream with Chocolate paste, mocha paste (both from the baker resource shop), vanilla extract, instant coffee and jovia. Unsweetened soya bean extract was my non-dairy milk. I let the ice melt for about 15 minutes then blended them for 1 minute in a blender to get really delicious,ice-cream-like slushie. YUM.(Even got my brother jealous and he hates desserts! ) My matcha ice cream is in the freezer right now! Will let you know the results! 😀

1. Matcha? Ooh I’ve never had matcha!

2. Oh! And cheesecake, praline and adzuki bean ice-cream flavours are totally awesome! 😀

11. Mmmmm, I’m looking forward to that recipe!
    It is funny how your photography has changed (and gotten way better!).

12. Lisa says:

pleeeeeeeease do cookie dough! and a smores version might be tasty :)

13. Michaela says:

oh yum, I am so craving ice cream right now!!
    Any recipe would be great :)
    And yes, your skills have improved so much!

14. Carlyn says:

I think carrot cake is a brilliant idea because you don’t see that flavor type in normal ice creams! Another idea would be perhaps marshmallow graham w/ vegan chocolate chips or a “milk” chocolate sauce to accompany it! You could mix in vegan marshmallow fluff w/ the almond milk and add crushed up pieces of graham cracker after the blend in the vitamix….yum!

15. Aja says:

I love these recipes. They all sound so good. I made “ice cream” in chemistry before school got out and it was kind of gross because the bag leaked and salt got all over it. It was weird. This is so much better.

16. I made it with all coconut milk, shredded unsweetened coconut, coconut extract, a little maple syrup and a little salt. UNREAL! using all coconut milk made it heavenly and decadent I really recommend it!

1. I love the frozen hot chocolate with coconut milk… will have to try the vanilla one! How can something be bad if it has coconut milk, right? 😉

17. Jenny says:

I’ve made cookie dough ice cream before! :) Kind of had to make it at home, since the only cookie dough ice creams in grocery stores around where I live all had eggs listed in the ingredients (and I’m allergic!).

I agree – there are too many flavours that you can possibly try! So much fun to get creative. I love raspberry chocolate-chip as well. Classic chocolate is aaallllways amazing, but chocolate chocolate-chip is awesome, too. I’ve had blueberry cinnamon ice cream before that was surprisingly delicious… (Actually, anything with blueberries should be delicious, so I guess it wasn’t “surprising”.)

Ice cream all day… Would have to watch out for brain freezes!

18. PB and white choco chips for me I think :) I love the simplicity of it :)

19. I would LOVE to experiment. Put me to work! ha! I can be your assistant. What a good excuse to eat some ice cream, Love the chocolate peanut butter on today’s post!!! What about a s’mores flavor??? Maybe with some peanut butter in it????? Or cherry almond??