Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

The secret to fat pancakes

A good day starts with a good breakfast

Right from the start, I knew today was going to be a good day. After all, it began with blueberry pancakes. Pancakes for breakfast = guaranteed happiness.

blueberry fat

Giant, fat and fluffy Blueberry Pie Pancakes.

Here’s the secret to making fat pancakes: Use less liquid.

You might think it sounds obvious, but a lot of people don’t know this! If you want a specific recipe to yield thicker pancakes, simply cut back on the amount of liquid called for in the recipe. You’ll get fewer pancakes, but more thickness. (On the flip side, if you want a recipe to yield a larger number of pancakes, make the batter a little thinner.)

The consistency of the dough for the Blueberry Pie Pancakes is almost as thick as muffin batter.

Consequently, the pancakes, themselves, are super-fat.

I don’t always want fat pancakes.

Take, for example, the Snickerdoodle Pancakes.

When I make them, I’m going for the size and shape of fluffy snickerdoodle cookies. So that recipe calls for more liquid (and less baking powder) than the blueberry pie pancakes. (Adding a little extra baking powder will also yield fatter pancakes. But don’t add too much or you’ll end up with a weird taste.)

Henry likes pancakes too. True story: once, a pancake fell on the floor (when I was trying to be super-cool and flip it in the air. Emphasis on trying). Thankfully, it wasn’t a chocolate-chip pancake, because Henry took off with the thing before I even had a chance to see where it dropped!

Help me choose:

For tomorrow: fruit recipe or chocolate recipe?

Have you noticed I like asking for your input? (Also, I hate making decisions!)

If you’d rather, feel free to vote on Twitter.

1. Those look INCREDIBLE. I think I always prefer big fat pancakes over little thin ones, which is probably why I tend to pack mine full of pumpkin & banana and other thick creamy textures like that. I’d love to see a fruit recipe tomorrow! I’m in the summer spirit 🙂

2. Those look super yummy – think I’ll be making pancakes for breakfast, too. While I WANT to see a chocolate recipe tomorrow, I probably SHOULD see a fruit recipe. Depends of whether you’d like to be a good influence or a bad one 🙂

3. Seems impossible but it’s true. I ODed on chocolate this weekend. Please give me a fruity recipe 😀

1. Leslie says:

Me too; I can’t believe it, but I’m voting for fruit!

4. Hehe so glad doggies share the humans’ love of pancakes. My grandad used to feed his rice with meat and vegetables! Chocolate tomorrow please! 😀

5. Tricia says:

I just got some chocolate chips so chocolate 🙂
    I love making fat pancakes, they remind me of eating cake or something 😛

6. Those look awesome Katie. I can imagine them for breakfast lunch or dinner… or as snacks.

7. I’m definitely a thick pancake girl! I love the doughy inside with all the fluff! Um, I’ll say fruit for tomorrow!

8. Lauren says:

Good, thick pancakes really do make a great start to a day!
    I love chocolate, but it is summer and there’s so many great fresh fruits right now. My vote is for a fruit post!

9. Sarah C says:

Fruit fruit fruit! Or more Henry photos. Seeing his cute face always makes my day :).

10. Eric Jaffa says:

Why is the pictuer of you and the dog linked to the same page instead of linked to a bigger picture?

11. Jenny says:

Can we have a fruity chocolate recipe?! Ahaha, they pair together so beautifully so often! (Strawberries and chocolate, raspberries and chocolate, the classic bananas and chocolate…) Just because of the fact that there’s all sorts of delicious, sweet summer produce, I’m going to throw in a vote for a fruity recipe!

Sometimes I want thin pancakes, sometimes I want fat ones… It does depend on how many I want and just my cravings at the moment! I like pancakes fat when they have something extra in them (blueberries, pumpkin, banana) but think when they’re snickerdoodle or brownie batter pancakes (my favourite!). Well there’s always Pancake Sunday tomorrow…

1. Amber K says:

Exactly my thought! A fruity chocolate recipe. I guess I hate making decisions too 🙂

12. Emma says:

Katie! This is my first comment, and I’m a new reader. I LOVE your blog!!!!

I made the “fudge daddy” brownies yesterday and they were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! 🙂

I’m excited to make more recipes of yours now. I just don’t know what to make next. There are too many that sound good!

13. Pancakes for breakfast DO make for a great day! I had carob chip pancakes this morning! Nothing like a big thick hearty pancake! Mmm!

I vote fruit!!

14. Jillian Mills says:

I’m ultra sick. Boo! Went to the doc, the store and the pharmacy yesterday and that’s it. I have pineapple, pluots, lemons, blueberries and bananas. But, that’s it. So, in an effort not to go back to the store and because I’m feeling sorry for myself, I want comfort food. Comfort =CHOCOLATE!! 😛

15. April says:

Man….now I’m *so* craving pancakes! *grin* Those look great; thanks for the tip!

I vote for a chocolate recipe tomorrow (was there ever any real contest?)

16. Jasmine says:

I can’t believe I’m saying it either, but fruit please. Something about the summer weather makes me crave it.

17. Lisa says:

I want a fruity recipe! Dont get me wrong, loooooove my chocolate, but Im also a big fan of fruit. I think you should do an apple pie makeover. I need a healthy crust and pie idea! 🙂

18. Aja says:

Yum, fat pancakes. Of course it depends on the kind, but still yum.
    Because putting up a non-chocolate recipe would probably seem weird considering your blog, I vote chocolate. Also, I probably have more chocolate than fruit on hand (bad me).

19. Sarah says:

Fruit recipe sounds good… I’ve been seeing lots of chocolate recipes (not that I’m complaining) so fruit might be a nice change.

20. YUM!!! Your Blueberry Pancakes are AMAZING! I have to try them! 🙂