Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The secret to fat pancakes

A good day starts with a good breakfast

Right from the start, I knew today was going to be a good day. After all, it began with blueberry pancakes. Pancakes for breakfast = guaranteed happiness.

blueberry fat

Giant, fat and fluffy Blueberry Pie Pancakes.

Here’s the secret to making fat pancakes: Use less liquid.

You might think it sounds obvious, but a lot of people don’t know this! If you want a specific recipe to yield thicker pancakes, simply cut back on the amount of liquid called for in the recipe. You’ll get fewer pancakes, but more thickness. (On the flip side, if you want a recipe to yield a larger number of pancakes, make the batter a little thinner.)

The consistency of the dough for the Blueberry Pie Pancakes is almost as thick as muffin batter.

Consequently, the pancakes, themselves, are super-fat.

I don’t always want fat pancakes.

Take, for example, the Snickerdoodle Pancakes.

When I make them, I’m going for the size and shape of fluffy snickerdoodle cookies. So that recipe calls for more liquid (and less baking powder) than the blueberry pie pancakes. (Adding a little extra baking powder will also yield fatter pancakes. But don’t add too much or you’ll end up with a weird taste.)

Henry likes pancakes too. True story: once, a pancake fell on the floor (when I was trying to be super-cool and flip it in the air. Emphasis on trying). Thankfully, it wasn’t a chocolate-chip pancake, because Henry took off with the thing before I even had a chance to see where it dropped!

Help me choose:

For tomorrow: fruit recipe or chocolate recipe?

Have you noticed I like asking for your input? (Also, I hate making decisions!)

If you’d rather, feel free to vote on Twitter.

1. Those look INCREDIBLE. I think I always prefer big fat pancakes over little thin ones, which is probably why I tend to pack mine full of pumpkin & banana and other thick creamy textures like that. I’d love to see a fruit recipe tomorrow! I’m in the summer spirit :)

2. Lenna says:

Fruit recipe tomorrow pretty please! :))
    I like how thick those pancakes are! There is nothing better than a nice fat pancake in the morning, you are so right!

3. Those look super yummy – think I’ll be making pancakes for breakfast, too. While I WANT to see a chocolate recipe tomorrow, I probably SHOULD see a fruit recipe. Depends of whether you’d like to be a good influence or a bad one :)

4. Seems impossible but it’s true. I ODed on chocolate this weekend. Please give me a fruity recipe 😀

1. Leslie says:

Me too; I can’t believe it, but I’m voting for fruit!

5. Hehe so glad doggies share the humans’ love of pancakes. My grandad used to feed his rice with meat and vegetables! Chocolate tomorrow please! 😀

6. Tricia says:

I just got some chocolate chips so chocolate :)
    I love making fat pancakes, they remind me of eating cake or something 😛

7. Those look awesome Katie. I can imagine them for breakfast lunch or dinner… or as snacks.

8. I’m definitely a thick pancake girl! I love the doughy inside with all the fluff! Um, I’ll say fruit for tomorrow!

9. Lauren says:

Good, thick pancakes really do make a great start to a day!
    I love chocolate, but it is summer and there’s so many great fresh fruits right now. My vote is for a fruit post!

10. Jill says:

Fruit for tomorrow please!

11. Sarah C says:

Fruit fruit fruit! Or more Henry photos. Seeing his cute face always makes my day :).

12. Eric Jaffa says:

Why is the pictuer of you and the dog linked to the same page instead of linked to a bigger picture?

13. Jenny says:

Can we have a fruity chocolate recipe?! Ahaha, they pair together so beautifully so often! (Strawberries and chocolate, raspberries and chocolate, the classic bananas and chocolate…) Just because of the fact that there’s all sorts of delicious, sweet summer produce, I’m going to throw in a vote for a fruity recipe!

Sometimes I want thin pancakes, sometimes I want fat ones… It does depend on how many I want and just my cravings at the moment! I like pancakes fat when they have something extra in them (blueberries, pumpkin, banana) but think when they’re snickerdoodle or brownie batter pancakes (my favourite!). Well there’s always Pancake Sunday tomorrow…

1. Amber K says:

Exactly my thought! A fruity chocolate recipe. I guess I hate making decisions too :)

14. Emma says:

Katie! This is my first comment, and I’m a new reader. I LOVE your blog!!!!

I made the “fudge daddy” brownies yesterday and they were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! :)

I’m excited to make more recipes of yours now. I just don’t know what to make next. There are too many that sound good!

15. Pancakes for breakfast DO make for a great day! I had carob chip pancakes this morning! Nothing like a big thick hearty pancake! Mmm!

I vote fruit!!

16. Jillian Mills says:

I’m ultra sick. Boo! Went to the doc, the store and the pharmacy yesterday and that’s it. I have pineapple, pluots, lemons, blueberries and bananas. But, that’s it. So, in an effort not to go back to the store and because I’m feeling sorry for myself, I want comfort food. Comfort =CHOCOLATE!! 😛

17. April says:

Man….now I’m *so* craving pancakes! *grin* Those look great; thanks for the tip!

I vote for a chocolate recipe tomorrow (was there ever any real contest?)

18. Jasmine says:

I can’t believe I’m saying it either, but fruit please. Something about the summer weather makes me crave it.

19. Chocolate recipe!! :). I can’t wait to try some of your recipes when I go back home for the summer!

20. Lisa says:

I want a fruity recipe! Dont get me wrong, loooooove my chocolate, but Im also a big fan of fruit. I think you should do an apple pie makeover. I need a healthy crust and pie idea! :)

21. Aja says:

Yum, fat pancakes. Of course it depends on the kind, but still yum.
    Because putting up a non-chocolate recipe would probably seem weird considering your blog, I vote chocolate. Also, I probably have more chocolate than fruit on hand (bad me).

22. Sarah says:

Fruit recipe sounds good… I’ve been seeing lots of chocolate recipes (not that I’m complaining) so fruit might be a nice change.

23. YUM!!! Your Blueberry Pancakes are AMAZING! I have to try them! :)

CHOCOLATE! You can never have enough of it. 😉

24. I am feeling the fruit!! it iss summa time now :)

25. Fruit recipe please! I am loving all the fruit around at the mo, and I love to see the creative things you do with it :)

26. Megan says:

Those are gorgeous pancakes! I had fat blueberry pancakes this morning too…even before I read your post! Your snickerdoodle pancakes always look delish. I think fruit recipe tomorrow would be great because summer has such wonderful produce!

27. Jane says:

Yum. I went with blueberry buckwheat this am. Delish.

28. I vote for fruit and chocolate. Muahahahahaha.

29. Ally says:

FRUIT! I have an overflowing fruit basket and need a new idea as to how to put the jewels to good use :)

30. Gen says:

Great pancake tip!!! 😀
    I vote chocolate (always)!

31. Personally, I am a fan of thinner pancakes with more toppings, but sometimes I get a craving for the fat ones! My mom used to make them that way 😀

And I vote for chocolate! I just had a chocolate-covered post today 😀

32. wow these look delicious! and never knew of that tip before thanks!!! and fruit! im totally feeling the fruit in the summa timee!

33. I’d usually say chocolate please, but i’ve been on a fruit kick…so fruit recipe please :)

34. My vote is for the fruit recipe!

35. I actually love one huge thin pancake soaked in syrup and toppings! Like a kind you would get out at a diner. Kind of like a crepe I guess!
    I vote fruit! I’ve been digging all kinds of summery fruit lately and could use some recipe inspiration!

36. Ragnhild says:

Your pancakes always looks amazing!
    Tomorrow Im challenging myself, and Im making pancakes for MYSELF! I always do it for my friends (they LOVE your blueberry pie pancakes) and brothers, but I have feared flour for so long, and havent been able to eat any. Now, since Im breaking this no-flour rule (Im such a crazy girl), I m totally up for some pancakes 😀
    Happy weekend Beauty!

37. Mellie says:

Fruit! Chocolate is great, fruit is better, especially in the summer

38. Moni'sMeals says:

Great tip, it never hurts to hear these things again and again. :)

I only like FAT pancakes.

Chocolate for tommorow. hehe.

39. vogelstar says:

Tis the season of strawberry picking so I say go the fruit route. I picked a bunch and made jam last night in desparate haste not to throw them out as I think I got greedy and picked too much.

40. Oc Ziegler says:

fruit recipe please :) normally I would say chcolate but me and my family are going strawberry picking soon and right now I’m feeling like fresh summery fruit!

41. Kim says:

It’s early summer so I say take advantage of the fresh fruits…dipped in chocolate 😉

Good timing on the post about fat pancakes, I was just thinking of sending you my trick for super fat, fluffy ones myself! What I do is pour my batter into a super small size frying pan, cast iron works well, then put a tight fitting lid on for the first 5 minutes or so of cooking. It will be mostly cooked when you open the lid, you just need to flip it and leave the lid off to drive off any excess moisture!

42. I always add a lot more baking powder than what’s usually called for in recipes like that to make things ultra fluffy! Especially with pancakes..except sometimes even that baking powder can’t save them and they end up like crepes more than anything..but still delicious, of course. 😛

43. I will say that I suck at trying to judge the thickness/thinness of batter…pancakes are especially hard for me! I either end up with it being too thin, runny, and basically creating paper thin little burnt

Or super thick monsters that never cook in the middle before the outsides are burned.

I also don’t make pancakes that often so part of it is a practice issue…

Now, I can *instantly* tell by looking at the dough at the bottom of my Vita if it’s going to be successful for ball/bite rolling for any and all flavors of raw cookie dough balls. No issues w/ practice there!

44. Vegan Alexandra says:

Fruit recipe please! (:
    Believe it or not, a CCK fan like me actually likes fruit better than chocolate D:

45. Chocolate recipe!!!! Then again, I love fruit. Ohh maybe a fruit AND chocolate recipe?? hehe

46. I’m going to say chocolate! You can just never have enough!

47. Julia says:

I’m feelin the chocolate recipe…=)

48. Carrie says:

FAT PANCAKES ROCK!!!!! good call.. and defs ive learnt that less liquid= better pancakers!!

49. Amanda says:

I say fruit recipe! I’ve been cooking a lot of your recipes for my boyfriend, and he’s a fruitaholic! plus it would be fresh for the summer!

50. Albizia says:

These pancakes are a must-try. But I’m still not brave enough to try any pancakes on my scary IH cooking range.

For tomorrow – fruit, please :) .

51. haha how smart! I so prefer fat pancakes to thin pancakes. Now I know how to make them, thanks to YOU.

I’m going to go with a fruit recipe!

52. Katya says:

Another way to get fat pancakes is add more baking powder! If you like less dense pancakes than ones using less liquid, this makes them really fluffy!

53. sarah says:

thanks for this recipe love pnackes never thought to make them thick. just looked at your recipe what does T stand for? my guess is tablespoon?

1. Yup, a T is my lazy way of saying tablespoon ;).

54. Serena says:

This is so good to know! I always wondered…and it would seem obvious…hah..

55. I love fat pancakes! But sometimes I’m in the mood for thin ones too! But hey, I don’t discriminate…..ALL pancakes are good in my book!

FRUIT recipe tomorrow please!!!

56. Fat pancakes are the best!! And I vote fruit…it’s summer and fruit makes me think of summer!

57. I had some pancakes for breakfast this morning too! Usually I like my pancakes thin and almost crepe like but I’m starting to like thick too because they can absorb lots of liquid toppings. I vote for a fruit recipe tomorrow

58. Tara says:

My pancake “thickness” depends on my mood! Sometimes I like to stretch the batter so I get more pancakes, and sometimes I like one huge thick one. Sometimes I like crepelike ones too!
    I’m voting for fruity! Though I have a feeling chocolatey will win… not that I mind. I also was going to tweet you, but I’ll just tell you now: I just froze some coconut milk for ice cream! Tomorrow needs to come faster!

59. Anna says:

As much as I love chocolate, with all the fresh fruit that is available right now I would love to see a fruit recipe :) Tomorrow I am going to make ice cream and am really excited about it!

60. LizAshlee says:

I know I am voting a bit late in the game, but um CHOCOLATE of course! :)

Lots of hugs!

61. uhh combine chocolate and fruit, duh! 😉

62. Vivianne says:

So genius. Whenever I don’t add enough liquid I always end up burning my pancakes! I think it’s because I always want them to cook fast and turn up the heat too high!

I love blueberry muffins. Maybe I’ll try to make these for breakfast tomorrow?