Blondies and Bars

Baby, you’re a firework

Over the years, the task of “dessert-maker” for our annual neighborhood 4th-of-July party has somehow fallen to me. I think it all started when I was still in high school and brought a vegan coconut cream pie recipe I’d adapted from one of my very-first vegan cookbooks: How it all Vegan.

After that, I was put in charge of desserts permanently. You won’t be hearing me complain about this any time soon!

One year, I brought vegan vanilla cupcakes.

No cupcakes this year. Just lots of bars. My neighbor asked me to make my white-bean blondies for their party today, but I also wanted to try something new. I figured they wouldn’t protest if I brought two desserts. So I also made a modified version of my Raspberry Cobbler Bars. But I changed the recipe to get a more buttery, crumbly bar, reminiscent of berry crumble. If everyone at the party likes it, I’ll get the recipe up tomorrow!

Upcoming Posts:

• Peanut Butter and Jelly Fudge (!)
  • My go-to chocolate cupcake recipe
  • Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
  • A new oatmeal technique

And I want to make a new cookie pie recipe… would you rather see a peanut butter cookie pie or a sugar cookie pie?

Or another flavor entirely?

Finally, I wanted to apologize for being a tease on Twitter.

It really wasn’t my intent to be a tease, bringing up my big decision before I was ready to elaborate.  I will tell y’all my news in a few weeks. Honestly, I meant to write about it earlier, but last-minute travel plans got in the way!

Happy Fourth of July! (Now if only I could get that Katy Perry song out of my head…)

1. Chelsey Kight (@ckighttt) says:

sugar cookie pie!!!

2. I would rather see the peanut butter cookie pie! 🙂

3. Sarahishealthy says:

That is SUCH a pretty picture of you, Katie :). And my vote goes to peanut butter pie!!! Plus, I really wanna hear your news! 🙂

4. Sugar cookie pie! Would also love love LOVE oatmeal raisin cookie pie! YUM 😀

5. Erin says:

I vote for sugar cookie pie! Can’t wait to see your new recipes!

6. Lisa Fine says:

Those look delicious! I’m guessing they’ll be a big hit, making them blog-worthy this week.

And I’m very curious about this news you’re going to share…

Happy 4th!

7. VeggieGirl says:

CHOCOLATE peanut butter cookie pie, please 🙂

1. L. says:

Seconded! 😉

2. Amber K says:

ooh sounds soooo good!

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Happy Fourth of July! We celebrated Canada Day with a big party on the first. 🙂 Do you have any special fourth of July traditions? I hear fireworks are pretty popular in America.

As for pie… definitely Sugar Cookie!! Have a great day and enjoy the party.

1. Yeah, firweorks are big… sadly, because they’re not very environmentally-friendly, especially here in Texas where it’s super-dry. I’ve heard that parts of Tx cancelled fireworks this year, but not Dallas. (Also, poor Henry hates fireworks!)

Barbecues are big too, but I guess that’s true of any summer holiday!

1. Alexandra says:

hahah aww, poor henry. my dog gets scared of the loud booming noises too.

9. tea-bag says:

peanut butter cookie pie!
    ps – i’m always the dessert baker, too! i used to be a baker and my specialty was pies. you can guess what i spend every thanksgiving and christmas making … yup. pies.

10. PB cookie pie hands-down. Any of the nut butter flavors sound amazing. Almond butter cookie pie. Cashew butter cookie pie. Happy 4th Katie!! Your desserts rock!

11. Lisa C. says:

Happy Fourth, Katie! Those cupcakes are beautiful!

12. Gen says:

Happy 4th of July!!!
    I’m thinking the pb cookie pie sounds incredible! 😀

13. Ali says:

Hi Katie,
    You are so beatiful, have you ever done a makeup post? Happy fourth of july!

1. Aw thanks Ali!
      I don’t really wear makeup often. If I put any on, it’s bronzer, eyeshadow, and a little mascara. I never wear foundation because I hate the way it feels!

14. Sugar cookie pie flavor! Wait….. EVERY single recipe I’ve tried of yours is amazing. Note: I just found your site not all that long ago, a few weeks, and have made at least 12 of your recipes! (that I can recall) They are AMAZING!

1. Wow, thank you SO much! Your comment put a huge smile on my face :).

15. Giulia says:

I’m a peanut butter lover… so I say peanut butter cookie pie!!

16. Ragnhild says:

Gah, you are so beautiful Katie!! Not jealous at all … 😉
    Im sure they will love your desserts! You are the dessert queen for a reason!
    I vote Peanut butter cookie pie 😀

1. Girl, YOU are beautiful! 🙂

17. Anonymous says:

I’d love to see a PB Cookie pie! Anything PB is amazing. Everything looks so good! 🙂

18. Don’t you love having the dessert-making responsibility? I have that responsibility in my neighborhood/family and I love it! Desserts are just so much fun to make! 😀

19. Megan says:

Peanut butter pie 🙂 And Happy Fourth of July Katie!!