Never Ending Oatmeal Bowl

chia seed oatmeal recipe

When I first tried chia seeds (in the form of chia pudding), I wasn’t a fan. I wanted to like them: they’re so good for you. But eating something just because it’s good for you?

Ridiculous!

You don’t have to suffer for health.

If you aren’t big on a certain food, there are plenty of ways to get all your nutrients somewhere else. For example, my sister hates bananas. So she gets her potassium from foods she does like, such as yams, spinach, and broccoli. No big deal. Remember that mental health is an important component to overall health, too. If you’re choking down foods you detest, your mental health will suffer.

Going back to the chia… Although I didn’t like the pudding, I was willing to give the seeds a second chance. Perhaps I’d enjoy them in a different form. After all, everyone in the blogworld seems to adore them. So when the Health Warrior Company offered me some samples, I accepted.

giant bowl of oatmeal

And I discovered that I do like chia seeds. They are awesome in oatmeal!

Never-Ending Oatmeal Bowl

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup more milk of choice
  • sweetener and add-ins of choice

Either cook oats, milk, and salt on the stovetop, or place your oats and salt in a large, microwaveable dish (I use a pyrex 4-cup measurer) with the milk of choice. Microwave 1 and 1/2 minutes, then add your chia and 1/2 cup more liquid. Microwave 2 more minutes. Don’t open the microwave door yet. Instead, leave your mixture for five minutes. Then stir and put in the fridge—uncovered—overnight. Next day, it will magically be thick and ready for your favorite add-ins!

For sweetener, try using The Melted Banana Trick.

Also, I really like to put the cooked oatmeal in my Magic Bullet and blend just a little. This “blended grains” trick really helps all the flavors to meld together.

chia oats

Do you ever eat foods you don’t really like, just because they’re good for you?
Or do you ever feel pressured to eat a certain food because other bloggers like it? We are all different and our bodies crave different things (and amounts). We should NOT base our food choices on what anyone else is eating. It’d be really weird (not to mention boring) if we were all exactly the same.

This is one of the main reasons I’m not planning on doing another “day in the life” post even though a lot of readers have asked. I don’t feel comfortable knowing others will compare their eating habits to mine or try to mimic what I eat. The way I eat is only perfect for me. You need to listen to your own body, not to what anyone around you is doing.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lauren W says:

I just bought some chia seeds and then had no idea what to do with them. Perfect! 😀

2. Molly says:

Oh my gosh, I hate avocados too! Like, literally, I HATE them! My parents buy them all the time and I tried one and spit it out. I told my mom it tasted like a vegetable trying to be a meat. Haha I have no idea where that statement came from but its how I felt :p

1. Hehe glad I’m not the only one!

3. Lauren says:

I’m pretty sure every single blogger in the universe eats oatmeal for breakfast but I do NOT! Maybe I should re-name my blog “NOT an oatmeal eater”. Don’t get me wrong, I like oatmeal but for some reason it is just a little too heavy for me for breakfast. Instead, I start every day with two eggs scrambled, an english muffin and some fruit. I think the blogging world needs to give some more props to EGGS!

1. I bet that blog would actually be pretty popular! A LOT of people tell me they don’t like oatmeal; not just bloggers, but lots of my friends too!

1. Paula says:

Now I’m confused. I thought you were an ethical vegan Katie. You think a blog supporting consumption of eggs would be a good thing? Please clarify.

Also, I am disappointed to see that some of your readers still don’t have a clue or a heart about animal exploitation, suffering or slaughter.

1. Ohhhhhh no. I didn’t say anything about the eggs. I said I think her idea to start a blog called “not an oatmeal eater” would be popular. So many people tell me that they don’t like oatmeal!

2. hannah @ Theflexitarianeater says:

I agree!!!!

1. hannah @ Theflexitarianeater says:

And yes, I ONLY eat eggs from my local farmers market (and believe me, I have interrogated the farmer extensively) or from my neighbors chickens! Please don’t be so quick to judge…

1. Lauren says:

I’m also very picky about where I get my eggs…usually they are from my personal friend who has chickens in her backyard! Of course I’m still sensitive to those who don’t eat any animal products and those that love their oatmeal 🙂

2. Paula says:

Still I wonder what happens to the male chicks even in these “humane” scenarios … and so, yes I am quick to judge (especially when someone generally refers to eggs). I don’t trust it, don’t trust it all.

4. Paula says:

But doesn’t heating the chia (or flaxseed for that matter too) reduce its value?

Katie — do you like hemp/hemp milk? I tried hemp milk and it’s thumbs down.

1. I don’t know about the heating thing. I never thought about it! I’d be interested to know… but honestly, I get enough omega 3s anyway, so it’s no big deal.
      I’ve heard that overcooking your broccoli reduces its nutritional value… but that doesn’t stop me from microwaving it for 12 minutes! Oops ;).

And I am right there with you on hemp milk! YUCK! Hemp protein powder too!

1. Rachel says:

But hemp ice cream (Tempt brand) is sooo yummy!

5. Barb says:

I love chia seeds! I bake them in pretty much everything… I’ve been putting them in my oatmeal, homebaked bread, and granola bars for a year now!

6. Megan says:

THANK YOU for your encouraging and empowering post! I don’t have a blog but I definitely keep up with all the blogging foodies. I often feel like I am so unhealthy because I don’t eat ______ food. Thanks for reminding me that everyone is completely different! I am recovering from ED and so my meal plan looks different (and sometimes bigger) than other people…and that’s okay! Also, chia pudding never looked appealing to me either; however, I do like them in overnight oats!

1. Oh my gosh, yes, it is definitely ok to be different! I do not eat at all like my friends… but we have taught each other things along the way. I’ve taught them to like tofu, and they taught me about the joys of eating pillsbury frosting from the tub.
      Oops, I mean… I did not just say that on a healthy-living blog ;).
      (Hey, it’s actually vegan!)

7. I LOVE VOLUMINOUS OATS! i made a trick too with oat bran that works magically..! ive tried chias before but sometimes i get get over the texture!! volume is a win tho! i think ill have some oats from lunch in my dorm room!/…. nahh i never ocmpare myself.. i just do what i want and eat what i want and i know im doing fine that way!

8. Jenn Friedman says:

I have been looking for ways to make my oatmeal never-ending!! Thanks Katie!!

9. Paula says:

Eggs? Gosh, if you are not vegan-conscious then I at least hope that the eggs you’re talking about are truly free-range and raised with a no-kill intent. If not, please see some footage.

1. Sorry, I’m very confused… did I mention eating eggs in my post?
      I haven’t eaten an egg in over 8 years, so I’m really confused by your comment!

1. Paula says:

sorry Katie, I know you are vegan (xo). I was referring to Lauren’s post.

1. Lorin says:

Some people like to eat eggs and that’s there choice, stop attacking people about what they like to eat without even knowing them.

1. Paula says:

Ahhh … another invocation of the notion of personal choice. I take it you would protect the choices of pedophiles, slave and sex traders, Jeffrey Dahmer, Michael Vick, genociders, agricultural workers who suffocate or wood-chip male chicks …? Personal choice is fine as no-one, including an animal, directly or indirectly gets hurt. What’s your definition — I like it and it tastes good so I’m going to do it and don’t tell me what to do? Very smart, very smart.

And in case you didn’t know it, this is a pro-vegan website, and my reaction was quite appropriate. I wasn’t attacking anyone, I was defending these animals by telling it like it is. What does knowing a person have to do with anything?

10. I don’t force myself to eat anything that I don’t want to but I did think it was weird that I seemed to be the only one that wasn’t a fan of oats in the morning. I did keep trying oats and found a way to enjoy them in things other than oatmeal cookies. BUT onions and I will just never be friends! Thanks so much for bringing this up 🙂

11. I wouldn’t use the word “pressured”, but I’d definitely say I have been influenced by bloggers and their meals. Haven’t we all? I believe I’ve been influenced in a good way though. Blogging has taught me that it’s okay and necessary to have some healthy fats in my diet and it has introduced me to many great things that I couldn’t imagine life without now! 🙂

12. Julene says:

Do chia seeds have a taste to them? I’ve seen them mentioned in a lot of recipes lately but am wary… completely without reason, apparently.

1. They do have a somewhat sweet taste… maybe like pistachios? I can’t really pinpoint it.
      But it definitely isn’t without reason to be wary! I HATED the pudding I once made with them!

13. Michaela says:

I really like that post, thank you.
    I NEVER eat something only because it´s good for me, never!! I feel eating has to be something enjoyable and I do pretty well with the food I eat 😉

14. Lissy says:

there’s really only a handful of foods I hate and the only healthy one is asparagus. It’s been pretty easy to avoid 🙂
    I’m not a big fan of meat, but I eat it out of convenience (don’t want people cooking special for me) and to not feel sick when I really am craving a good burger.
    The last time and only time in the past year when I’ve forced myself to eat something was the turkey wrap at Jekyl and Hyde. it wasn’t healthy, but I had to eat for the sake of keeping myself fueled and it was just the worst meal I ever had. salt salt salt

15. lindsay says:

the comparison trap really strains us, doesnt it. Everyone has different needs, wants, etc. when it comes to food and we should embrace our so called “individuality” when it comes to food choices. And that definitely takes time and confidence. Well said Katie!

16. Aja says:

Looks good, and I bet a lot of oatmeal lovers will enjoy it, but for some reason I have a kind of intolerance for oatmeal. I couldn’t eat it as a kid and I tried again when I read all these blogs and how much they loved it, but I just can’t enjoy it.

I hate comparing myself to other people. I always feel terrible for it so I try to stop as soon as I can.

17. I got a lot of good recipe ideas from other bloggers, but I don’t ever feel pressured to eat certain things. I’ll give all the foods a fair shot, but if I don’t like them, I’m not eating them. Way too many things out there I DO like to be wasting my time with foods I don’t.

18. I have been trying to like avacado and cottage cheese for awhile….YUCK!! I dont wanna force-feed them any longer haha. I am actually still on the fence about chia seeds, I need to get more to try again 🙂 great post girl!!

19. Caitie says:

I definately have to have my morning oatmeal or oatbran. If you haven’t tried oatbran yes I completely recommend it! I find it’s much creamier than oatmeal and has much more fibre in it. While I’ve never tried chia seeds in my oatmeal/bran I usually add in 1 tbsp of flax seeds (you have to love those omega fatty acids!). I assume it would have about the same effect as chia seeds as it adds a fun bite to it!

1. Mel says:

Just make sure it is ground flax seed you are eating, otherwise you do not reap the full benefits of flax. Grinding the seeds releases the oil and therefore the omega-3!

1. Good tip! I didn’t know that for the first year I ate flax… I thought I was doing such a good job, eating the whole seeds!

20. Alyssa says:

Amen! Life is too short for (IMO) brussels sprouts. So Hubby gets more!
    I’m going to have to try the blender trick, as well as the banana trick.
    I think when your book comes out I may have to quit my job, just so I have time to focus on making all your recipes!!!!!!