Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

I’m going to New York City!

Pretty sure it’s my favorite place in the world. The only problem is that there are so many great restaurants, shops, and sights in NYC, it’s hard to choose what not to do! I’m not getting very far, in terms of mapping out an itinerary.

Restaurants, shops, museums…

And, I have to visit the home of my modeling career. 😉

You know, in case they’ve reconsidered and want me to model for them full-time. I wouldn’t ask for much; they could pay me in dishes! Or chocolate. I’ll always accept payment in the form of chocolate.

hangawime3

At some point, I’ll also visit my favorite NYC restaurant.

NYC To-Do List

Other places I’m hoping to get to include Greenwich Village, The Museum of Modern Art, the Harry Potter exhibition (excited about this one!), Souen, Broadway, Central Park…

nyctimessquare1_thumb

Any other recommendations?

You can also leave suggestions on Twitter.

Not that I need more ideas to try and fit onto the already-overflowing “to go” list. But I’d love to know your favorite NYC locations anyway. When I asked for recommendations last year, one person told me New York even has a Museum of Sex!

nyclifethymelas

Definitely going to Lifethyme, for their Pumpkin Lasagna.

Questions of the Day:

What are your favorite things to do in NYC?

Mine include going to museums, running through Central Park, and people-watching.

Oh, and seeing my two favorite Broadway shows.

1. I have never been to New York City… and may never in the next five years. But its definitely on my “list of things to do before I die”! Sounds like such an amazing place! 😀 Hope you have the time of your life there! 😀

2. Lucky you! I cannot believe my foodie-self has NEVER been. That needs to get remedied soon. :)

Side note: I went to the Museum of Sex in Amsterdam. It was as disturbing as one might imagine.

3. t says:

How lucky are you! I would hit up MOMA and the Candle Cafe, in fact, I always do! The Russian Tea room is also one of my favorite places- the food isn’t anywhere near vegan, but you can have a cocktail and soak in the amazing atmosphere and flirt with the Russian bartender. :)

4. Have fun! You HAVE to go to La Maison du Chocolat because…duh…

5. teabag says:

i’ve been to nyc but i hate doing tourist-y things. instead – i spent new year’s eve at a dive bar and my other time venturing out to local mom & pop restaurants & ethnic eateries! explore – you’re in new york, you’re bound to have an adventure!

6. Vegan Alexandra says:

I’m heading up to New York this Sunday! 😀
    I’ll be there for three weeks, but I’ll spent the majority of my time in Southold, not the city.
    I’m sure I’ll get to visit the city sometime though. (:

One of my favorite places in the city is Chin Chin’s. When I went there as a pescatarian (pre-veganism), I ALWAYS ordered the Szechuan Lobster (sorry Lobster </3 ).

Luckily, they have vegan options, so I can still enjoy (:

7. I just wrote about my love of NY today, and my love for the midwest! CRAZY!!!…..Enjoy! I’m so jealous! :) But happy for you! Please eat a piece of pizza for me and maybe a NYC bagel or two! YU<<<<!

8. Even if you don’t like candy, you have to see Dylan’s Candy Bar! It’s a 3-story whimsical candy wonderland! It’s my once-in-a-New York treat :)
    Magnolia Bakery has cupcakes that are to live for. They are the best I’ve ever had, and probably ever will have.
    One of my favourite neighbourhoods to explore is Soho! They have the cutest little boutiques & interesting finds. I tell ya, when you’re in NYC, you enter a time warp & it seems like you only get so much to see in the days that you’re there. I have been there 4 times & still haven’t seen many of the things I wanted to!

1. We need to figure out how to make time stand still!

9. I love Lifethyme Market! I used to shop there all the time when I lived in NYC. Their bakery is awesome too! I keep hearing how amazing Caravan of Dreams is, but I haven’t been yet. Since it’s summer and super hot out, my recommendations are One Lucky Duck Take Away for a shake or Kyotofu for their soft serve. Have fun!!

1. Lifethyme is one of my favorite places! Another is the Westerly Market, but apparently they’re renovating it :(.

10. you have to go to lula’s apothecary!
    their ice cream is the best ice cream ever, vegan or not. it’s mostly cashew based. they have coconut whipped cream! and malt if you want a malted milkshake!

1. So many people have told me to go to Lulas! I will have to look it up!

1. carrie says:

Lula’s is the most delicious vegan ice cream ive had! And its just about two blocks from Caravan of Dreams (in the east village). Yum!

2. Lina says:

Definitely hit up Lula’s! It’s sooo good. Or Quintessence…and another favorite place of mine is The Juice Press!

11. My favorite thing to do in NYC is EAT. I would be lying if I said any differently! They have such a great variety of restaurants/ stands it’s the perfect place for a food lover!

12. hannah @ Theflexitarianeater says:

Ah so exciting! I’m actually
    In NYC right now, and absolutely in heaven (especially foodie heaven)! Honestly, in terms of recommendations, you really can’t go wrong with whatever you do… Definitely check out the health foods type stores (including the non-chain ones). They’re unbelievable!

13. Silvia says:

Madame Tussauds museum! I loved just to be on the Times Square, walking around and watching people :) New York is my love :). I love Home Alone so I had to take a pic with Plaza hotel, it´s right next to Central Park- South I think, on the 60th street :). Have a great time, but I´m jealous! 😀

14. Pureglow*16 says:

I’m going next Thursday!!!! (-: I need recomendations too! haha

15. Dorry says:

I LOVE NYC! It’s one of my favorite places for sure. I love to walk around aimlessly and stop in for snacks and drinks at different places. Museums and parks are a must, and of course the fabulous dining. We are going up there next month and I’m counting down the days!

16. Jenna says:

Two recommendations:

1) Atlas Cafe (http://orderatlascafe.com/food-delivery-TW/Atlas-Cafe-New-York-City.1892.r?QueryStringValue=VOQn8J5OwHbG99qvMKWojQ==) – cheap vegan eats, plus vegan soft-serve with add-ins, great smoothies, and Vegan Treats desserts. I know you’re not much of a sweets person, but let the ones you love have a big ol’ healthy(-er) indulgence from this place, and even if they were already open-minded, they’ll realize a newfound love for veganism

2) Curly’s Vegetarian Lunch (http://www.curlyslunch.com/) – Cheap veg comfort food. It’s sooo good.

17. WAHH TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then stop by PA and see ME!

18. Jennifer says:

NYC is so exciting!!!!! I live between the Bronx and Long Island (apartment in the Bronx, family on LI) so I get to the City fairly often. If you are coming before August 7, the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum is intense but amazing. Seriously. (And, of course, the Met is just generally great).

Another really great, though a bit out of the way, place is the Cloisters. It houses the medieval art collection of the Met up in Fort Tyron Park. Rockefeller or Vanderbilt (one of the robber baron-types) actually had portions of destroyed monasteries from France brought to NY and reconstructed. So, you walk around in this monastery-like building, look at medieval art, and can then stroll around a medieval garden. It’s really very pretty. Of course, I happen to be a medievalist, so I’m a little prejudiced.

I do, though, really want to see the Harry Potter exhibit! I keep telling myself I will go, but haven’t made it yet.

If you have any questions, Katie, feel free to email me! And, enjoy your trip!

19. Oh my goodness, that pumpkin lasagna! I’ve been to New York a couple times and honestly, while the restaurants, shopping, etc. were amazing, spending time in Central Park stands out as my favorite.

20. Jen says:

Now I just want a piece of that pumpkin lasagna.

21. I’ve been to NYC twice and I loved the museums, Central Park, seeing the Statue of Liberty and just walking around town in general. It is such a cool place!

22. Rebecca says:

Hey Katie!

I haven’t been, but I do have a recommendation…there’s a website called http://www.wherethelocalseat.com/ and you can go to it and choose whatever city you will be visiting. As the name probably suggests, it gives you lots of places to choose from that locals love! I found this website yesterday and my family is using it to figure out where to go while we visit Los Angeles next week.

1. I live near LA, and while I’m no expert, we have a few favorites!

I’m not sure if you have any dietary specifics, so I’ll throw out a variety of options just in case:

The Griddle Cafe (HUGE pancakes, easily vegetarian, not sure about vegan options)
      Veggie Grill (all vegan–the All-American Stack is delish!)
      Native Foods (all vegan, a little bit more au natural feeling)
      Flore (known for vegan brunch)
      Other things to try –> go to fairfax avenue and try any of the gajillion Ethiopian places. All have vegetarian options and many have vegan options

Is there any cuisine you’re looking for specifically? There’s tons and tons of Mexican that I could recommend.

1. Rebecca says:

Well thank you Lexi! I’ll check some of those out!

23. Grab lunch at the amazing Whole Foods Market in Columbus Circle, then enter Central Park from its southwest corner. Wander over the Sheep Meadow, and stake out some green grass for a summer picnic!

Although it’s not chocolate, I’ve got a picnic dish – raw veggie pasta – that’s easy to prepare and pack.

24. Lisa says:

yes! love NYC. liivng there in a few months! :) greenwich village is the best!!
    make sure you go to Peanut Butter & Co sandwich shop in greenwich village! its my favorite :)

25. That Pumpkin Lasagna looks amazing and normally I am such a desserts girl but that really looks stellar!!

Have fun on your trip! I am soooo happpy for you that you planned something and are going! Although I wish it was to San Diego or to CA, I know how much you love NY and you have all kinds of things you’ll be doing (again) and I can feel how happy you are in this post announcing it…so HAVE FUN!!!!

1. Such a ditto on the lasagna! I don’t even like pumpkin and I’m pretty sure I could have it gone in about 2 minutes.

26. Jess says:

I’m sooo jealous right now! I love NYC and jogging in central park is def one of my favorite activities. I also like wandering around Chelsea Market. Have fun!

27. Lucky you!! I’m so jealous (especially of the HP exhibit!!)

I’ve been to NYC 3 times, all for a grand total of about 8 hours. I’ve seen nothing of the city except through a bus window! It sounds like heaven, you and Chelsey are sonvincing me I MUST take a trip!

28. Keni says:

i’ve been following your blog for a while, but this is my first comment. i’m new yorker, and agree, it just may be the greatest city.

recently ate at the v-note – http://v-notenyc.com/ – a great vegan dining experience if you’re looking to try some place new!

enjoy your time while you’re here!

29. Gen says:

Never, ever been to NYC…
    Hope you have an amazing time! 😀

30. Amber K says:

I have never been; hope you have a blast!

31. Mellie says:

I want to go to NYC soooooooooooo badly! Hope you have fun!

32. LUCKKYYY!! That’s such an amazing city!! Be sure to go to the candy shop! Walls and walls and walls of the most amazing candy. :) and of course PB&Co!!

33. You MUST go to Dylan’s Candy Bar. It’s heaven for a girl like you. Also…Max Brenner – It’s a CHOCOLATE CAFE. You have gots to hit that up 😉

34. Msdramateacherlady says:

My favorite place!!! Not surprising considering I’m a total theatre geek. For chocolate, track down one of Jacques Torres’s restaurants, he is the chocolate king! Also, Serendipity (like the movie) for frozen hot chocolate. As for site, the Guggenheim is amazing, as is the Met. For theatre experiences, I would recommend trying to get tickets to the following shows: “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” (Daniel Radcliff singing and dancing, enough said), “Next to Normal” (a darker show, but so incredibly amazing. It won the Pulitzer prize a couple of years ago), and finally “The Book of Mormon” (how could you skip the Tony Award winning Best Musical of the Year).

35. Oh, I am SO with you on running in Central Park! There is nothing like running in NYC! I last visited NYC two years ago and I really enjoyed seeing Chicago on Broadway. I also highly recommend going up the Empire State Building at night – my hubby and I went at 10 pm and it was so magical! As far as eats, I made a pilgrimage to Pure Food and Wine and One Lucky Duck – yeah, they’re both super expensive, but the food is amazing and I know the cost of their ingredients is high. I also had some awesome vegan pizza at Viva Herbal Pizza. Have a great time – there’s no place quite like NYC!

1. I love the central park running… but getting up there can be a pain! You have to dodge people-traffic and stop at lights lol!

36. I am headed to NYC this weekend for vacation! I can’t wait and this post definitely helped me to add to my never ending to do list :)

37. I LOVE NYC!!! I’m going there for school next year, and I’m super excited for all the vegan food. There is actually a vegan wine/cheese/chocolate bar in Manhattan! You should look it up!

Also, try both of the vegan ice cream’s in the lower east side.. Lula’s Is AWESOME!

Have fun! :)

38. Tara says:

My favorite thing to do is go see broadway shows! We also ALWAYS go to peanut butter company for pb sandwiches before a matinee, and then later we go to a fancier (but I would argue not quite as tasty.. pb always wins!) dinner.

39. Amy says:

I went to New York last year with my school! (I’ve graduated now.)
    We saw Stomp and In The Heights! We also went to NBC Studios, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
    We walked through Central Park, and that park is beautiful. I’d do anything just to go back to New York.
    I miss it a lot, and I’m actually really jealous that you get to see the Harry Potter exhibition!

However, I do wish that I knew more about health and fitness when I had gone, I totally would have checked out all the vegan places and of course Peanut Butter & Co.
    Things change though! Next time I go to New York I will know what to look out for. :)
    Have fun in New York Katie xx

40. Michaela says:

I have been to NY once and I loved the vibe of the city and seeing all those famos places that appear on tv regularly 😉
    But I prefer London ♥!

41. Greengirl says:

City Maps. It is a virtual map of the city that can you search with a key term or block by block and look at every single store and business. Once you find what you are interested in you can literally find out everything you want to know from what time a restaurant opens, to making reservations, to drink and food specials, even how much street parking will cost. It’s a great product and will help make sure you do everything you want to during your trip! Hope this helps :)

42. Bekah says:

ok, I don’t really have any suggestions because i have never been to NY but I saw you mentioned Harry potter exhibition! I bet that is going to be awesome! Ok I have to ask.. You going to the midnight showing tomorrow evening of part 2?

1. No lol I’d get too sleepy! I went to 10:30 for pirates once and felt dizzy from all the action so late at night! Plus, I want to delay the experience as long as possible… because it’s the last movie :( :(

1. Bekah says:

Oh no, thats not good. it would be so hard for me to delay it.. lol. I want to see how close they have it to the book, i am probably going to tear up some, and possibly fall asleep, but its worth it lol
        :) i hope you have an amazing trip where ever you decide to go!

43. Lorin says:

Go to Max Brenner’s, chocolate pizza! It was featured on Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network and it’s the best dessert I ever ate in my life. If you want to load up on peanut butter, go to Peanut Butter and Company, I think it’s in Greenwich.

44. I’m going to NYC next weekend and will definitely be stealing ideas!

45. Katy sparrow says:

Lulas Sweet Apothecary and Kyotofu for vegan softserve!!!

1. Looking up kyotofu right now!

46. I work in NYC and live just across the river. It is such a wonderful place! I also recommend South Street Seaport if you can get down there. Amazing views, nice outdoor restaurants and they have The Bodies exhibit, which I haven’t been to, but it’s on my list!

47. Ugh. New York is not for me. I hated it there when I visited….so I’ve never been back. My family has gone a couple times, but I refused to go! But have fun, Katie!

48. We do have a Museum of Sex here in nyc. It’s…interesting. I’d say check it out if you have time, hehe. If not, my fave is always the Museum of Natural History.

49. My favorite place in the entire world :)
    Walk on the High Line, it’s beautiful! And then there’s nothing I love more than walking around the west village and visiting little hole in the wall coffee shops and cafes and juice bars… there are so many vegetarian and vegan options around there!

50. Karen says:

I have lived and worked in midtown Manhattan for the past 6 years and I have so many recommendations! First off, you shoud check out the High Line park – they just extended it 10 more blocks in June and it’s so fun to walk above the city! Row boating in central park is super fun and running around the reservoir is fun too. Pure Food & Wine is a very popular and delicous raw restaurant that you would likely enjoy should you wish to try something new. My favorite health food markets are Westerly Natural Market (closed until the end of July :( ) and Fairway. I am slightly obcessed with Fairway. The green market in Union Square is pretty much where every great NYC chef gets his/her ingredients for their meals. It’s open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8-6. You can find great locally made edibles there. In terms of chocolate… Max Brenner is totally fun….and for the record I am NOT a Magnolia’s fan. Crumbs is SOOO much better. Their giant peanut butter cup cupcake is what dreams are made of :) Hope you have a blast doing whatever you decide to do!

1. I was so sad to hear about Westerly… oh well, at least that’s one less thing I have to squeeze in, right? 😉