Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate-Chip Banana Bites

Hors d’oeuvres will never be the same.

Imagine you’re invited to a “desserts only” party.

A party where everything—from the drinks, to the appetizers, to the main course—is a dessert.

Dare to dream.

Impress all your friends with these gourmet-looking cookie bites that are secretly healthy and so simple to make!

Chocolate-Chip Banana Bites

• 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup flour (I used 70g oat flour. You can use all-purpose, spelt, or gf all-purpose.)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda (not baking powder)
  • 3 tbsp to 1/3 cup chocolate chips, depending on your preference
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut brown sugar or sucanat (do not omit or sub with white) (20g)
  • 1tbsp plus 2tsp white sugar or evaporated cane juice (If you have no sweet tooth, like me, you can omit) (21g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil (or pre-melted margarine) (12g)
  • 2-3 tbsp milk of choice, or more if needed (feel free to switch proportions of milk and oil) (30-45g)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix your dry ingredients, then add in wet. Form baby-sized cookies OR big cookies and bake 6-8 minutes. Take out when still underdone–they’ll continue to cook while cooling, and so you don’t want them to get hard. (If you made big cookies, you can use a circle-shaped cookie cutter to achieve baby cookies.) To serve: sandwich a banana slice between two cookies. If possible, do this at the last minute so the bananas stay fresh. For a variation, replace banana with sliced strawberries!

If you’d prefer, here’s a Sugar Free Variation.

If you’re in the mood for a naughtier version…

Forget the bananas and make Cookie Sandwiches.

Changing subjects…
What would you prefer?

I’m going to be in NYC this next week, so I was wondering: would y’all be interested in seeing trip-recap posts, with restaurant reviews and point-n-shoot photos? (I’m not bringing my DSLR camera on vacation.) Or would you rather I stick to my signature dessert posts? I don’t care either way, so I wanted to ask your opinions. (Even if you do vote for NYC-recap posts, I’ll still mix in some recipe posts as well.)

Also, a huge thank you to whomever put this post on stumbleupon. I don’t really understand stumbleupon, but I was amazed by how many people viewed the post. Usually (read: never), my blog doesn’t get 5,000 unique visitors from of 2-3am!

Tags: , , ,

1. Katie I love your dessert recipes, but I’d be more interested in seeing more about your trip to NYC.

These little bites look so cute — maybe put them on a stick and cover them in chocolate?

1. Michaela says:

Holly, you are talking out of my soul!!!!!!!!!!!! I was about to say the exact same things!

Enjoy your trip, Katie!

1. Oh yes, this is why I love other bloggers/readers. Y’all have way better ideas than I do!

2. Shanna-Banana says:

I’d love to see posts about your NY trip! It’s a good idea. :-)

3. I’d definetely love to see NYC pictures!! It’s nice to change it up and trip recaps are a ton of fun to read about. Hope you have a blast, no doubt you will!

4. Lisa Fine says:

Yum – that’s one of my favorite combinations (chocolate and banana), and they’re so cute.

I’d love to hear about your trip to NYC….are you planning on any blogger meet-ups? I might be there next week, and it’d be fun to meet up. :)

1. I’m not planning a meet-up. Honestly, I wish there were a way to do a meet-up (and post about where I’m going to be at an exact time) without worrying about privacy and all.

5. Jennifer JCD says:

As for NYC, I’d love to hear about your trip! I’ve never been there, but would like to someday. For now, I can live vicariously through others. :) Have a great trip!

6. I bet these would be great with cookie dough!

7. It’s like you’re making me choose between your fudge daddies and raw cookie dough… Can we have both… pretty please?! 😀

8. You should totally host that dinner party. That would rock. A lot.

9. tea-bag says:

i’m with everyone else – i want trip recap!!! :) it’s always fun to see someone’s life & vacations! :) have fun!

10. Melissa says:

THANK YOU! Its like you read my mind. I have a party to go to, and while its not a dessert party, I was put in charge of desserts. I’m definitely gonna make these!!!

11. I LOVE DESSERTS!! Though, seeing New York City from your perspective would be SO cool! :)

12. Sarahishealthy says:

I would LOVE to hear a trip recap! And if you’re still doing recipe posts too, it’s like we get the best of both worlds from our favorite blogger! :)

13. Lisa C. says:

Your photos just keep getting better and better. I could stare at them all day :)

14. Jen says:

I think an NYC recap would be fun, especially since the city offers so many great vegan eats! By the way, you should come up with a recipe for vegan s’mores banana sandwich bites. Bananas taste amazing with s’mores, and these cookie bites kind of remind me of that!

1. Erika says:

Oh my gosh, yes! Please please do!

15. NYC recap is great! but it is whatever you would like Katie! The chocolate and the banana is a never fail combo! ….Happy Monday! :)

16. Erika says:

These are beautiful, Katie :). But I am with many of the other commenters. I’ve told you before that I am so interested in your “day in the life” posts, so I’m excited for the NYC ones!
    Happy day, sweet Katie!

17. Maddie says:

Oh! I’d LOVE to see some NYC posts! :)

18. kate says:

these are so precious I love anything stuffed!!

19. Eric Jaffa says:

Write about NYC.

20. Ann Claire says:

So I totally want to go to a dessert only party now. I guess I’ll have to host one!
    I’d love to see trip recap posts but, I also love your recipes so a combo would be great!

21. I’d love to see trip recaps! Your dessert posts are awesome, but they can be used any day – your NYC trip is such a unique experience that I’m sure I’m not the only one who’d love to read all about it!

22. VEGirl says:

Aww adorable! I have been tossing around the idea of having an “everything mini” tea party with lots of little nibbles that are mini :D. I even have a mini teacup set! 😉 Mini pies, mini cookies, mini sandwiches, mini frosted cakes, mini cupcakes. It would be so much fun!

Personally, I would love to hear about your trip– especially the food on your trip (I have my priorities)! I can understand why you wouldn’t want to bring your camera, but if you make a make-shift cover/case for it and slip in into your purse or backpack it wouldn’t have to be target? The camera case can be a dead giveaway, but when I was in NYC I took my DSLR and was fine (granted, I was in a group of thirty small-town kids with about ten chaperons, so take that as you will….. ;))

1. Oh I was thinking more along the lines of I don’t want to lug the big thing around the city 😉

23. Ragnhild says:

Katiiiie- your photos and ideas and recipes are just getting better and better! These looks amazing, and I would love to serve them at a party! Perfect finger food 😀
    As much as I love your recipe post, I would love to hear about your NY trip!!

24. Banana cookie? Genious! Although the icing version looks good too!

25. This is such a fun idea! A dessert only party sounds like heaven to me. I think I’m going to host one. You’re invited! I would love to see a recap of your NYC trip! I’ve never been there so it would be really interesting for me atleast

1. Oh I will so be there 😉

26. I love that the banana adds a little freshness to the cookies. So adorable! In the end, though, I’d probably go with the cream-filled kind :) Have fun in NYC!

27. Awww 😀 how cute! Know what would be even better? Making banana ice cream cookie sandwiches instead! Mmmmm….

And know what else? Why can’t we have a dessert party? That would be fabulous!

And I would love to see you New York pics and stuff!

28. Jenny says:

deserts for mé please

1. No matter what, I will definitely schedule some dessert-recipe posts! :)

29. Nicky says:

These sound SO yumm!!
    I’d love to hear about your trip to NYC, especially restaurants as I’m going there next month and need some ideas on where to go!! :)

30. I have all these ingredients on hand…. I’m making these! I will probably switch it up & add a little bit of almond butter or PB in between the cookies. Or… OR… spread it on the banana in between the cookies. The combo of chocolate, banana and PB rocks my world.
    I’d LOVE to see your NYC adventures! It will give me some ideas of where to eat/what to do when I go there next 😀

31. Lilly says:

ohhh yum! how good would these sandwiches be with banana butter :) Would love you see NYC with you, or through you 😉

32. Lisa says:

im all for restaurant reviews! Im living in NYC this year so Id to love to hear your opinions on vegan options!! :)

and the banana chocolate chip idea is so cute!! dessert party sounds right up my alley 😉

33. Amanda says:

I’d love to see pics of New York! Share your trip with us!

34. Amber K says:

While I love all things frosting, the banana idea looks delicious. Especially topped with a nut butter, like chocolate peanut butter. YUM!

35. Risa says:

Yum! I am so glad I found ur blog!!!

36. Julene says:

As a resident of NYC I’m curious what kind of places you’ll be chowing down. Went to Quintessence for the first time after reading about it on your blog – the coconut cream pie was HEAVEN!

1. It’s like a coconut cloud on a plate, right? 😉

37. O.C. says:

I loveee all your dessert recipies but o would also really want to hear about your trip so I say both, and the beauty of blogging is that you can post whatever you feel like posting!
    Ps. Your love of bean desserts inspired me yo make roasted caramel chickpeas! They are awesome and I just put the recipe up on my blog. They make me reminisce about getting honey roasted peanuts at the fair as a kid :)

1. Ooh just looked! They look awesome!

38. Sarah says:

I would love trip-recap posts! i luv those a bunch. Experiencing NY through someone else’s eyes! BTW- random question: why did you become a vegan? was there a specific thing that happened or was it just a lightbulb moment? Thanx!

1. Hey Sarah! Here’s a looong answer I wrote to answer your question:

1. Sarah says:

Thanks Katie!

39. Oh my goodness! A dessert party is definitely my kind of party. 😀
    These banana bites look delicious, but the recipe of yours that currently has me drooling are those bean blondies you posted a few months ago. I made them yesterday and am in love! You can’t even tell they have beans in them. YUM! 😀

1. Awww yay! I’m so excited you made them!

40. Em says:

Gorgeous photos! Still waiting for thAt photography tutorial post lol

41. Sarah says:

restaurant reviews…This is a food blog, of course. A couple of everyday shots wouldn’t hurt either. Have a great trip!

42. Elise says:

We had a dessert party at a pub once! They did such good puddings we didn’t bother with main courses! I had a waffle with berries and ice cream and then a banoffee pizza, sooo good. This was before I was vegan though, probably be a little harder now!

I’d love to hear about your trip to NY, its nice to hear about other people’s travels especially as I can’t afford to go anywhere myself! Besides I’m sure some of your reviews will be puddings anyway :)

1. I’ve never had banoffee pie, vegan or otherwise! I’m so curious!

1. Elise says:

You realise I am now going to have to challenge you to make one!!! And yes, you’re allowed to do it without the crust! x

43. Jennifer says:

Those cookies look so very good! And, I would love to hear all about your trip!

44. Liz says:

Helllooooo deliciousness! I am going to make something similar with raw cookie dough balls and banana soft server in the middle! Then chill and dip half way into chocolate!

1. Ooh that sounds really good!!

45. Bethany says:

Please do write about your trip! I’d love to go to New York someday and I am definitely envious!

46. Bonnie says:

I’d love to see posts about your NYC trip! but I wouldn’t mind more dessert posts either :) either way, enjoy your trip next week!!

47. I’d love to see NYC recap photos & posts! I miss it there, haha. But be sure to include desserts from the trip of course 😛

48. Rachel Lauren says:

Those look so cute! And delicious.

Please do recap posts! Restaurant meals and desserts! Also, please go to Lula’s Sweet apothecary for me! :) have a great trip!

1. I really want to!! Hopefully we can get there!

1. Rachel says:

It’s amazing! I’ve gone a few times. They let you sample flavors before you choose! The brownie sundae is amazing! Great soft serve too! :)

49. i love the petiteness of the cookie!

50. Katherine says:

These are adorable!

51. Trip pics, real life pics, the things that you’re doing, seeing, experiencing…post some of that!

I know it’s hard to blog on a trip, and to bring a big camera..haha…I just got back from a photography trip to Mexico City and I can totally relate (and even bringing a point and shoot is a pain sometimes!) but yes would love to see the real time stuff you’re doing.

And just show some of the fabulous desserts you spot or eat while on the road..both bases covered.

Seriously girl, whatever you blog about will be great.

I love these banana sandwich cookies…so clever. Lovely photography too!

52. Adam says:

i wanna hear about and see all the vegan hotspots you check out in NYC! :)

53. Sarah says:

Have a wonderful NYC trip!!! The first little cookies look adorable and I really like the suggestion of putting strawberries instead of the bananas. The cookie sandwiches though look like you’d die of sugar shock after just one of them. Ugh.

54. Love the banana between the cookies. :) I might have to make this for my Bachelorette party tonight. (It’s just me- watching the Bachelorette after my boys are asleep.) :) Have a great trip!

1. LOL at your version of a bachelorette party! :) :)

55. Marianne says:

You aren’t bringing your DSLR on vacation?! That is the one time I would make sure to not leave the house without it! Crazy girl 😉 Have a great trip!

56. Charissa says:

I’d love to hear about your trip too…
    These look epicly amazing. I love this idea…so. much. I’m kinda flipping out about them!

57. WOW. that is really all I can say haha….and maybe YUM!! :) cant wait to hear about the trip!

58. Rebecca says:

Bananas between cookies-I’d never thought of that. I sense these in the near future in my oven 😀

59. Nichole says:

mmm, banana chocolate chip is one of my favorites. i bet these would be great frozen! And I would definitely prefer hearing about NYC. I’ve only been there a few times (twice on school field trips with very little time to explore) so I really want to hear about the cool places (i.e. restaurants) it has to offer 😡

60. I would love to hear about your trip to NYC!

61. You’re the cutest ever – I love these banana treats!

I love all your posts but would especially love to see trip recaps – I’m sure you’ll have a blast experiencing the wonderful world of NYC (vegan) dining. Such a mecca for yummy and healthy eats, I kindasorta want to go right now :)

62. Albizia says:

My vote goes to the NYC trip. You can post recipes anytime but you don’t go to New York everyday :)

63. Tara says:

Ohmymuffins that looks delicious. Once I went out for ice cream and got a chipwich with banana ice cream in the middle, so this kind of reminds me of that!
    I love stumbleupon, so I’m glad your post got up there! I would like to see trip recap posts so that i know where to go when I visit!

64. Hahahah “usually my blog doesn’t get 5000 unique visitors between 2-3am”… love it!

65. THOSE LOOK AMAZING!! And so cute too!

I’d love to see some NYC recaps! Nice to change things up sometimes :)

66. NYC pictures!!!!! Definitely restaurant reviews too!

Those cookie bites look fabulous!!

67. These are the cutest little bites! :)

I’d love to see what you get up to in NY!

68. t says:

So cute! And I’m sure they\re healthy, but I would eat like, 30 of them. Mini things have that effect on me…

Can;t wait to hear about NYC!

69. Dona says:

Love your posts from NYC! And to get two posts a day is too cool. I’m not vegan, but have been making everything you post and loving it all! One question-what do vegans eat for protein that isn’t soy? I don’t mind a little, but I don’t want to base my diet on it. Have a great trip!!

70. Nikita says:

Desserts only party? That sounds divine! Hahaha. Hope you are having fun on your trip!

71. Aly says:

NYC recap! Can’t wait to see which restaurants you decided on. Have a great trip!

72. KellyBelly says:

I love the idea of the banana slice to make the cookie sandwich filling. Makes regular cookies into a special treat. thanks

73. Pat Meadows says:

Hi Katie,

I just wanted you to know that at least ONE reader – like you – has no sweet tooth! It’s me. I really appreciate it that you include directions for the (few?) of us minus a sweet tooth.

I have a (standard American) cookbook, Fannie Farmer, which dates from 1975. The recipes in it have only half (or even less) of the amount of sweeteners in today’s otherwise identical recipes. Michael Pollan, in ‘The Omnivore’s Dilemma’, explains and documents precisely why this has occurred. (Hint: Can you say ‘high fructose corn syrup’ and ‘greed’?) I can remember, in fact, when recipes were vastly less sweet. (I’m a Cranky Old Lady – Diana on the Britcom ‘Waiting for God’ is my role model these days!!) When I make an American-written recipe which is new to me, I begin with half the sugar or other sweetener called for in the recipe. I usually wind up cutting it again. There are rare and honorable exceptions to this, you are one and Bryanna Clark Grogan is another shining exception. I have her new cookbook, ‘World Vegan Feast’, by the way. It’s terrific, and the tiramisu recipe is to die for.

When can we expect a cookbook from you, Katie? (Hint, hint!) I’m sure it would sell really well. And please don’t think your *easy* recipes are too trivial for a book. They are not. Many cooks, like me, are not creative about cooking and therefore we are delighted to have ideas suggested by others, even if the idea at first glance may seem too trivial to be included in a cookbook.

1. Hi Pam!

Oh I adore Bryanna Clark Grogan! I actually first encountered her on a board called Vegsource, when I was first going vegan. She was so sweet to all the new vegans! I’ll have to look for that cookbook!

I also remember hearing once that there’s a much-older version of one of the popular cookbooks (Joy of Cooking, maybe?), and when scientists compared the two versions, the recipes in the new version were SIGNIFICANTLY higher in fat, cholesterol, and calories! It’s scary to think that if our tastebuds have changed so much since then… what will people be eating 20 years from now?!

Thank you so so much for the sweet comment, Pam. I am working on a cookbook, but it’s in the VERY early stages, since I just got out of college ;).

74. cj says:

Heya there! I have really enjoyed reading your posts and i have tried almost all of your recipes!! They are sooooooooooooooooo good! its great to find other people who are interested in eating naughty but healthy at the same time lol just a note for anyone who is gluten intolerant like me u can use chickpea flour or any veggie flour to make any of these recipes and there great!! i use mostly chickpea,potato and sometimes tapioca starches make things more gummy where as the flours dont lol i have had awesome luck using these recipes and my whole family loves them!! no more gritty rice flour cookies this year!! yay! Have fun trying them all gang!

75. Rachel says:

I love your blog!! I’m just becoming vegan but I’ve always loved eating healthy, but have a terrible sweet tooth so I can’t wait to try your healthy goodies :) The first thing that came to mind for these cookies when I saw them was putting peanut butter between them! peanut butter and banana can never go wrong, especially with chocolate chip cookies!

76. Sam says:

Thats such a good idea I want a desserts party, thes look so yummy

what is the nutrition information for these? I clicked on link for the calories and it brought me to a page of other cookies 😀

1. Sorry, I’m not sure what I did there! This is such an old post that I think I must’ve edited the other page at some point and forgotten that this one linked there. Fixing it now!

77. Andy Meehan says:

Found your site in a random search for banana desert Receipes..
    My wife says the chocolate chip banana bites are one of the best deserts she has ever had!

78. sandra says:

how many calories in these yummy cookies?