Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

This little piggy went to Prada…

This is my 2nd post today!

Click to see the first: A fun running game.

Jess and I left our room with no specific dinner plans. We wanted to be true tourists, letting chance dictate our destination. As luck would have it, chance treated us very kindly. It placed a Moroccan restaurant, called Tagine, right outside our hotel. Neither one of us had ever tried Moroccan food before, and so we agreed it was time to change this.

Tagine Moroccan Restaurant:

Sometimes I like eating at non-vegetarian restaurants even more than at vegan ones. When a menu lists only a couple of veg options, the decision-making process is much easier.

I was enamored of my meal even before it came to the table. Vegetable Tagine: zucchini, bell peppers, chickpeas, onions, kabocha, and currants simmered with an array of herbs in a special earthenware pot (a tagine). The dish did not disappoint. I wish I could take this restaurant back with me to Texas!

After dinner, we wandered around and came across a cute little knick-knack shop. Usually, shops like this are “browsing not buying” places for me. But this time, I couldn’t resist getting my sister’s Christmas present:

From the book:

“Twinkle, twinkle, diamond ring, In a blue box tied with string. Tiffany’s new princess cut, Twice the size of baby’s butt. Twinkle twinkle, show your spark, Can’t change nappies in the dark.”

Perfect for my favorite fashionista sister. Had to force myself not to get anything for me. Goodness knows I don’t need another cute knick-knack to collect dust on a dresser.

Home again…

Tired from the day’s walking and shopping, we went back to the hotel and did what both of us do best. I consumed chocolate… And Jessica? She fell asleep!

1. How fun! I think I remember seeing Tagine featured on a show on Food Network. I’ve never eaten Moroccan food, but your lunch looks amazing!

2. Jen says:

I’m glad you enjoyed the restaurant, because ethnic places can be hit or miss! Especially less common food like Moroccan. That place sounds pretty authentic. A lot of restaurants like that tend to not use a lot of dairy, making it easy to order vegan! Now I want some Moroccan food. Yummmm. Oh, and sleep? What’s that? Give your sister some chocolate and make her wake up! :)

1. She’s actually my friend, not my sister… but I’m not sharing my chocolate ;).

3. Awww 😀 So cute! I’m sure your sis will love that!

And gosh I know! Walking everywhere is tiring!

4. That book is so cute. I WANTTTTT

5. I live ridiculous close to Tagine and have never been. After seeing your post, I think I need to try it, though!

6. That book looks so cute!
    And I’m literally drooling at that meal! yowza!

7. Charissa says:

So fun to hear about your trip girlfriend! I’m just jealous that you’re in NYC! I’ve always wanted to go there!

8. I’ve never had Moroccan food. I think the closest I’ve come to that is Indian…if that even is close to it!

9. Amanda says:

totally not related to this post, but sometimes you mention in your blog how you really haven’t dated anyone since sports store hottie (I think, maybe I’m mixed up…) and I realize this is probably because you are so AWESOME it would take a really amazing guy worth being with you. You are so kind and creative and beautiful, I hope you know this! Your blog brightens my day if I’m feeling low energy or sad. Thank you for making my world better!

1. Wow, Amanda, is there any way to tell you just how much YOU brightened MY day with your comment?
      Truly, thank you SO much :).

And yeah, no bf since ssh. I am enjoying being single… but still, it’d be nice if prince charming would come along soon! 😉

1. Ditto.

On another note – has anyone ever told you that you look like Natalie Morales – a co-anchor on the Today Show!! (She’s gorgeous by the way). Your like her younger sister :)

1. Oh my goodness, thank you! I just googled her. She is beautiful!!

10. Caron says:

This is too crazy! I’ve been living in Morocco for the past two months and was insanely surprised to see this post on your blog! It’s been difficult to find filling vegan foods in Morocco, tagine really seems to be the only one in traditional Moroccan cuisine. Thanks for posting about it!

11. Awww, that book is so cute! I’ve never had moroccan food, but that dish sounds like it would be excellent.
    And I’m the same as you. You can’t keep me from buying things I don’t really need at home stores!

12. Laura says:

Mmm, I’ve been to Tagine! Hope you used a gift cert there – makes it super cheap :)

1. Aww no I didn’t :(. Oh well, an excuse to go back… if I have enough time, which I probably won’t! I wish I were here longer!

13. Jess says:

interesting, that meal looked very good. might have to try it sometime.

14. OH my gosh! Katie i need that book! My daughter is almost one, and that just seems like the perfect book for her! Do you think I could order it online??

15. Lunch looks so interesting ! I’ve never had that kind of food.

That book looks great! I’d love to read it. :)

16. Lilly says:

Oh yummm, that looks really good! My mom bought a tangine a little while ago and has made the best stuff in it, I actually never even heard of them before then (was I under a rock? ;D ) but now I’m a little obsessed with the way they help make such flavorful dishes. BTW, you looks gorgeous girl, glowing!

1. Awwwwwww Lilly, thank you so so much!!

17. VEGirl says:

Kabocha and currants in the same dish? I’m sold 😀

18. Ahh! That book sounds so cute! :)

19. Ragnhild says:

Moroccan food is so good! This looks delicious! Enjoy your chocolate 😀

20. Eric Jaffa says:

Does your sister read your blog?

If so, she knows waht her Christmas present is, half-a-year in advance.

1. True, but the real gift is reading the book’s contents, which she can’t do from my post.

21. Elise says:

I LOVE morrocan!! There is two morrocan restaurants in Canterbury (where I went to uni) they were both great for different reasons. The first is pretty authentic, down to how long you wait for service (!) and the other is more European but much easier to eat vegan. Oh and last time I ate there Orlando Bloom was eating too! x

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Orlando Bloom? Oh my GOSH I would’ve screamed! Ok maybe silently :).

22. I need to try jocalat – i still haven’t!

23. Travis says:

Tagine Cool! I was just looking online today to buy a Tagine pot. I want to try cooking in one! I saw one on the Food channel and thought I can do that! Lol. I let you know how it turns out. Have fun in NYC!

24. I love these posts, Katie. If it’s not too much work for you to do from the road, keep ’em coming!

And trinkets and shops like that…yes, I am all over places like that.

When this little piggy goes to market, she likes to buy :) haha

25. How fun! looks like a lovely day :)

26. I’m enjoying the trip recaps, I’m glad you decided to bring along your point and shoot and laptop! I can’t imagine what Moroccan food would be like, I’ve never tried anything even close to that! I bet it was sooo tasty.

27. Oc Ziegler says:

YUMMM!! Love Morrocan food. My dad bought me a tagine for Christmas last year and I lovee using it to simmer veggies, lentils, chickepeas or greens. It turns out delicious every time.
    Sounds like you’re having an amazing time on your vaycayy :)

28. Sarahishealthy says:

I know you like doing dessert posts better, but I am SO enjoying these posts too. So happy you decided to do them! :)

29. Katherine says:

That supper looks amazing!

30. LOL! Your “home again” description of you sounds just like me and Jessica totally sounds like my mum!

31. I love tagine, Moroccan food is amazing and it’s easy to get vegan/veggie dishes.

That book is so cute! It won’t be much of a surprise at Christmas though 😉

32. t says:

I love tagines! They are very easy to cook too, I have a couple recipes on my blog.

33. Abi says:

Ah! I know that restaurant! Ok, I’m homesick now. If you have a chance definitely check out the west village, but be careful that’s where the grid fails and even natives get lost. Oh! and St. Marks! If you eat dairy check out 16 handles there. Best frozen yogurt place ever! Enjoy the city, I’ll be home in 39 days and counting! <3 NYC

34. Danielle says:

Hey, Katie!
    I couldn’t help but notice your bag. Very cute! I’m trying to find alternatives to leather bags, but I’m not having much luck. Could you point me in the right direction with some stores/brands that make cute non-leather/vegan bags? (Have you done a post on this already?)
    Thanks so much, and I love your blog!

1. Hi Danielle,

That’s actually a Vera Bradley bag :).

But I do know that there’s a place called Vaute Couture… I think they sell leather-like vegan bags. Or maybe Moo Shoes or even