Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

A cookie the size of my head!

It probably seems weird that I’d want to write more posts while I’m on vacation. But actually, this is easier! These recap posts come together much quicker than my recipe posts, because I’m not doing photoshoots or trying to think up a story to go with the posts; I’m just recapping what happened in my day.

Fast as a Rabbit

Today’s game of Pass or be Passed proved more challenging than yesterday’s. I wanted to keep my unbeaten record but met another runner who was playing the same game. I spent about 5 minutes getting up the speed to pass him… and then another 20 or so trying to make sure he didn’t re-pass me. (I’m a really competitive runner and hate being passed.)

At one point, after he got close and then I sped away, he yelled out “D*mn it!” That’s when I knew I was in trouble because he was racing me. But in the end, we became friends. He thanked me for pushing his pace and told me I have a really good stride. It made my day!

banana-bowl

For breakfast, I made Jess and myself Banana Bread in a Bowl.

(Yes, I am the crazy girl who brings her Magic Bullet on vacation. I had room in my suitcase, so I figured, “Why not?”) We quickly dressed and caught the subway to Greenwich Village, first stopping at Washington Square Park and the dog park, with its cute cute doggies! We also checked out the chess shops. (Did you know they make a fruit-and-vegetable chess set?!) Soon enough, it was time for lunch.

We walked over to Lifethyme Cafe for Pumpkin Lasagna.

Or, rather, I got pumpkin lasagna. Jessica bought the eggplant parmesan, which doesn’t really have any kind of cheese—dairy or vegan. It’s just eggplant, carrots, zucchini, tomato sauce, and other such veggies and spices layered in a lasagna:

NYC2010121_thumb22_thumb_thumb_thumb1

With lunch done, we headed to 30th street and found The High Line, a public park built on an elevated rail structure that goes over NYC.

high

high 2

Isn’t it gorgeous?? Admiring the beauty made me hungry. And this peaceful retreat was the perfect spot for a snack. Luckily, I’d picked up a little something before we left Lifethyme:

A cookie the size of my head!

Over the years, I’ve not been too impressed with the taste of Lifethyme’s beautiful-looking desserts. However, there were free samples of the Chocolate-Raspberry Tollbooth Cookies sitting on the counter, and as soon as I heard “chocolate raspberry” my greedy hands reached for a taste. (Oh, let’s be serious: as soon as I heard the word “chocolate” I wanted a taste!)

The point-and-shoot photo doesn’t do these cookies justice at all. They were delicious! I was very stingy and didn’t offer Jessica a single crumb of my giant cookie. (It’s okay, though. She’d picked up a Crumbs Bake Shop cupcake on our walk.)

cookie

This reminded me of my Healthy Chocolate-Chip Cookies.

If you’ve tried that recipe of mine, you know I appreciate a little baking-soda kick in my chocolate chip cookies. Lifethyme’s cookies have this kick as well. They also are 100% whole-grain and include walnuts and raspberries. I’m definitely adding raspberries to my cookies next time I make them!

1. Wow Katie, looks like you’re having a blast! That cookie looks amazing… I love the Chocolate-Raspberry Combo.

2. Wow! A giant cookie! If only I could make a healthier version (that won’t add pounds)… which you do have a recipe for haha 😀

3. That park is gorgeous!! I’ll have to go there next time! I’m so glad you’re having fun on your vacation :)
    And I don’t think you’re crazy for bring the MB to NYC 😀

4. Sounds like so much fun! Haha I love that you played that game!

And pumpkin lasagna sounds amazing! Gotta try and get some of that! ASAP!

5. Jess is a lucky girl that you are making her breakfast, I bet >she’s< glad you brought your magic bullet! :) ….Way to push your workout with your new game! It seriously made me laugh how he said "D*mn it!" …HA!
    Enjoy NYC enough for all of us! :)

6. I’m glad you are having such a good time – and I love that the runner said thank you — I love when strangers are kind!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

Haha you must be a SERIOUSLY fast runner!
    The cookie sounds so good! :)

8. Jen says:

Competition makes exercising so much more fun! I love a challenge. I compete with myself most of the time. “Beat yesterday’s speed, Jen!” Haha! Glad you’re having fun and eating lots of scrumptious vegan food. By the way, I never knew the taste of baking soda could even be detected in a recipe. I always thought it was purely for texture and consistency purposes. Hmmm…

9. WOW!! All of your food in the city has been looking amazing!! You look like you are having so much fun! Next tiem eat another one of those cookies for me lol…yummy :)

10. How funny that you ended up racing some random guy in the park. Wonder if he reads your blog? That would be even funnier!

Now I want to put chocolate chips and cranberries in my oatmeal.

11. Hilarious you brought your Magic Bullet on vacation 😉 You are getting some seriously delicious looking food, though!!

12. Alyssa says:

Fun!
    I went to college at NYU, so I got to live on Washington Square Park. Of course, this was 20 years ago, and the park was a haven for pot dealers, lol! (I always thought that if those guys REALLY wanted to make money they’d sell term papers…)
    Looks like you’re having a great time!

13. I miss Life Thyme sooooo much!! Samples must be new, I don’t remember that!

14. Whoh Katie! That cookie is HUGE! It must have been delicious. :)

15. Liz says:

I can’t believe you have enough time to write posts on vacay! How long are you in NYC for? There’s some great vegan spots in Brooklyn as well.

1. Not long enough! I wish I could stay here for a month… if only it weren’t so expensive. I think I’m going to have to take another trip, just for Brooklyn places!

16. Haha! That is too funny about that guy on your run. I’m not competitive AT ALL so I probably would have slowed down and let him pass me. 😉 Good for you for beating him though! Girl power! 😛

17. Lyza says:

I am LOVING these entries so much!!!! :) They’re definitely my favorite of yours so far :)

I love my little magic bullet :) It’s just tooting along!! What a cute idea to bring it with.

Haha, you must have great stamina as I can’t even imagine attempting playing pass or be passed. I’d just allow everyone to pass me and go at my own pace! I’m a very slow runner!! :) Running through central park sounds so marvelous too…I don’t think I’d want to run fast and miss out on all the things there are to take in! :)

I really really want that lasagna. LOL.

Loving your entries!!! <3
    Lyza

18. I love these life-recap style posts – you should add more in during your regular posts!

The lasagna just looks absolutely mindblowing – so many layers of veggies with Italian seasonings? Sign me up!

19. Amber K says:

LOL, I also laughed when you wrote that he said “damn it” after not being able to pass you. Tee-hee

That cookie looks delicious! Although I have never heard of this baking soda “kick.” I’m a newer reader and have never heard such a thing. Interesting!

20. Lisa says:

hahhaha its ok to be stingy with delicious food you only get to eat once- I SO am the same 😉 i gotta visit that place!!!!! :)

21. Lauren says:

I love these entries! You should throw in a few life entries with your regular posts even when you get back!

Loved the story about the runner! Wish I could play that game. Unfortunately the only living things I pass on my runs are cows.

That cookie looks AMAZING. Chocolate + raspberry is my favorite combination. Yum!

1. LOL! Well, you’d pass a lot of them… you’d get a super-high score in the game, right? 😉

22. hahahaha I love that running story!!! When I used to run I would play that game all the time! Its so satisfying. Either way, you push yourself to do your best and that’s always awesome!

23. Shelby says:

You should stop in at Gobo while you’re in the city! It’s right by LifeThyme on 6th and prettttty delicious.

1. I need at least a month for all the places I want to go! :(

24. Rebecca says:

Mmmm I want that lasgana! Oh, and that cookie for dessert since raspberries and chocolate are amazing things together :)

25. Michaela says:

haha, love the running story :) Reminds me how much I love running myself. I took my family´s dog, a boarder collie, the other day and it was awesome, as I forced myself to new limits, because he is so fast.
    I bet she loved the breakfast you made for her :)
    You look beautiful in that picture!

26. Tricia says:

Sounds like a fun running game, I should try it sometime. I also wanna try that cookie :)

27. Lisa says:

MMM! Cookie looks so good!

28. I love blog post titles like that. gimme that cookie!

29. Kristina says:

That’s so cute that you found another runner essentially playing Pass or Be Passed! The lasagna looks phenomenal, I wish I had some to eat right now

30. Haha that’s so funny that you mention the “baking soda kick” at the end of a cookie! To be honest, I hadn’t really thought about that until I tried your ultimate chocolate chip cookies the other day. I was munching on one of the cookies when, lo and behold, my tastebuds felt this interesting (but not unpleasant) “taaaaaaaaang.” I was so startled upon coming to this glorious realization that I stopped chewing, and my mouth turned into a big, wide “O.” This was, of course, also followed by laughing with my mouth full…

True story!

Don’t worry though–the happy chewing quickly re-commenced :)

31. I really want to try Lifethyme this weekend even though its supposed to be super hot! I wish I had room in my suitcase for my MB!

32. Jess says:

that eggplant and pumpkin might be good for me to try, considering i don’t really like most cheeses, especially sharp cheese. it’s too hot for me to run outside, even early, so i’m impressed too, and that’s kinda funny.

33. O.C. says:

I love your recap posts and I love that you’re doing two a day :) your lunch looks so yummy!

34. Soooo yummy…all of it! I totally made a chocolate raspberry version of your blueberry pie pancakes the other day!

35. Katherine says:

Monster cookie lol :)

36. Lisa says:

I want that cookie!
    You look so pretty :)

37. So great to hear abut the other runner-it’s way more fun to race someone than to just run aimlessly.

And don’t worry, I’m the weirdo that brings the magic bullet, too!

38. Ragnhild says:

Im so impressed with your running Katie! I usually run on the treadmil, but if I go out for a run anytime soon- I will try the game out!
    Im on a huge raspberry kick at the moment, and chocolate+raspberries is so good! I know I would love that cookie!

39. Erika K says:

I really am loving these recap posts. You have a fabulous sense of adventure, and I envy your easy-goingness (is that a word?). I always have to have a plan, and that means it’s harder to just take life as it comes carefree like you do. Some day, some day!

40. Katie I am LOVING the life and the travel and the real-time element that is being infused into your blog. These posts rock!

The cookies, the outdoor shots, what you’re doing…like eating pumpkin lasagna and wonderful cookies and being outside and seeing great things on your trip…THIS is awesome to read about :)

41. Sarah says:

Looks like ur havin’ a blast! Just wondering, do magic bullets really work? The infomercial is so believable, but Consumer Reports says it’s a no-no! I need to ask an owner- does it work for you? wat are its pros and cons? Sorry for the barrage of questions i’ve been asking you( it was only the other day i asked u bout veganism)! Thanks!

1. Oh my gosh YES!!! Get one!!! Do it!!!

*Calms down* But seriously, I was on the fence before I bought mine. I shouldn’t have been. It’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made (and if you use a Bed Bath Beyond coupon, you get 20% off). I use it almost every day… even more than my vita-mix. It’s super-easy to clean (dishwasher!) and works for smoothies, soups, dressings, and even fudge babies!

Okay, do you think the company should pay me for this extremely positive endorsement? 😉

1. Sarah says:

I love my vita-mix, but i feel there are some things it just can’t do ( like blend the chickpeas for the blondies good enough). I fell for the infomercial and begged my mom to get it, but she really doesn’t think it will work. And i can’t order it (must be 18 or older to call, must have money). But she DID say that if i can find a good review from someone who uses it often, she’ll consider it. Ha-ha mama! Thanks so much Katie. If the company doesn’t pay you, i will. When i’m 18 or older of course:)

42. Ah I love the running story! :) that’s awesome that you passed him! I need to try that game!

43. emma says:

hey! i just got back from my Spanish vacay……i missed you so! yay for the run…..that’s a cool story! sounds like you’re super speedy!

1. Emma says:

ooo yay another emma!

44. Chocolate and Raspberry is one of the best combos! why not put them in a cookie :) glad your having a blast!!

45. Emma says:

Awww u r so pretty. And now I wanna cookie! I also wanna go to nyc!

46. Lorin says:

Do you keep track of how fast your run? Or do you just always run for fun and not keep track? Just curious :) I’m competetive too but I’m not a fast enough runner to pass a guy and stay ahead…good job!

1. I don’t :(. I don’t have a garmin or anything like that. I do know that I pass some pretty big guys, so I must be fast lol! I did cross-country for a short time in high school, but that was a looong time ago!

1. Lorin says:

I don’t have a Garmin either. I just run and listen to my ipod sometimes not. I try to run for a certain amount of time instead of miles. Lately though it’s just been run/walk for like 45 minutes, I enjoy it more that way and my knees don’t get sore after that.

47. That is one large cookie! Looks like you are having a fun time 😉 Jealous haha

48. Ali says:

After seeing your Lifethyme Cafe picture, I checked my pics from my last NYC trip. Sure enough, I had been there, too! Thanks so much for posting this. I never knew the name of the cafe, but I absolutely loved it… now I’ll be able to find it again :)

49. Emilia says:

I’ve been to the High line– beautiful place, no? Makes me want to go back to NY. So jealous of all your amazing vegan dining. have a great time, girl!

50. I love that you unitentionally got another runner involved in your game. You’re having so much fun!

51. Ashley C says:

O.M.G pumpkin lasagna, eggplant parmesan, Bento Box (from your other post for today), and cookies as big as you head!!! All of this looks sooo good!! Not to mention a HUGE Park to run around in? I have got to move to New York :)

52. paul li says:

Your lunch is new and the cookies looks amazing.

53. Tanner says:

Haha, I made a cookie the size of my head. I used your healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe and turned it into one cookie. Then I ate the whole thing! It was FaNtAsTiC!
    P.S. that pumpkin lasagna looks delicious!!!