Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

A cookie the size of my head!

It probably seems weird that I’d want to write more posts while I’m on vacation. But actually, this is easier! These recap posts come together much quicker than my recipe posts, because I’m not doing photoshoots or trying to think up a story to go with the posts; I’m just recapping what happened in my day.

Fast as a Rabbit

Today’s game of Pass or be Passed proved more challenging than yesterday’s. I wanted to keep my unbeaten record but met another runner who was playing the same game. I spent about 5 minutes getting up the speed to pass him… and then another 20 or so trying to make sure he didn’t re-pass me. (I’m a really competitive runner and hate being passed.)

At one point, after he got close and then I sped away, he yelled out “D*mn it!” That’s when I knew I was in trouble because he was racing me. But in the end, we became friends. He thanked me for pushing his pace and told me I have a really good stride. It made my day!

For breakfast, I made Jess and myself Banana Bread in a Bowl.

(Yes, I am the crazy girl who brings her Magic Bullet on vacation. I had room in my suitcase, so I figured, “Why not?”) We quickly dressed and caught the subway to Greenwich Village, first stopping at Washington Square Park and the dog park, with its cute cute doggies! We also checked out the chess shops. (Did you know they make a fruit-and-vegetable chess set?!) Soon enough, it was time for lunch.

We walked over to Lifethyme Cafe for Pumpkin Lasagna.

Or, rather, I got pumpkin lasagna. Jessica bought the eggplant parmesan, which doesn’t really have any kind of cheese—dairy or vegan. It’s just eggplant, carrots, zucchini, tomato sauce, and other such veggies and spices layered in a lasagna:

With lunch done, we headed to 30th street and found The High Line, a public park built on an elevated rail structure that goes over NYC.

high 2

Isn’t it gorgeous?? Admiring the beauty made me hungry. And this peaceful retreat was the perfect spot for a snack. Luckily, I’d picked up a little something before we left Lifethyme:

A cookie the size of my head!

Over the years, I’ve not been too impressed with the taste of Lifethyme’s beautiful-looking desserts. However, there were free samples of the Chocolate-Raspberry Tollbooth Cookies sitting on the counter, and as soon as I heard “chocolate raspberry” my greedy hands reached for a taste. (Oh, let’s be serious: as soon as I heard the word “chocolate” I wanted a taste!)

The point-and-shoot photo doesn’t do these cookies justice at all. They were delicious! I was very stingy and didn’t offer Jessica a single crumb of my giant cookie. (It’s okay, though. She’d picked up a Crumbs Bake Shop cupcake on our walk.)

This reminded me of my Healthy Chocolate-Chip Cookies.

If you’ve tried that recipe of mine, you know I appreciate a little baking-soda kick in my chocolate chip cookies. Lifethyme’s cookies have this kick as well. They also are 100% whole-grain and include walnuts and raspberries. I’m definitely adding raspberries to my cookies next time I make them!

1. Wow Katie, looks like you’re having a blast! That cookie looks amazing… I love the Chocolate-Raspberry Combo.

2. Wow! A giant cookie! If only I could make a healthier version (that won’t add pounds)… which you do have a recipe for haha 😀

3. Jess is a lucky girl that you are making her breakfast, I bet >she’s< glad you brought your magic bullet! 🙂 ….Way to push your workout with your new game! It seriously made me laugh how he said "D*mn it!" …HA!
    Enjoy NYC enough for all of us! 🙂

4. Sarahishealthy says:

Haha you must be a SERIOUSLY fast runner!
    The cookie sounds so good! 🙂

5. How funny that you ended up racing some random guy in the park. Wonder if he reads your blog? That would be even funnier!

Now I want to put chocolate chips and cranberries in my oatmeal.

6. Hilarious you brought your Magic Bullet on vacation 😉 You are getting some seriously delicious looking food, though!!

7. Alyssa says:

I went to college at NYU, so I got to live on Washington Square Park. Of course, this was 20 years ago, and the park was a haven for pot dealers, lol! (I always thought that if those guys REALLY wanted to make money they’d sell term papers…)
    Looks like you’re having a great time!

8. I miss Life Thyme sooooo much!! Samples must be new, I don’t remember that!

9. Whoh Katie! That cookie is HUGE! It must have been delicious. 🙂

10. Liz says:

I can’t believe you have enough time to write posts on vacay! How long are you in NYC for? There’s some great vegan spots in Brooklyn as well.

1. Not long enough! I wish I could stay here for a month… if only it weren’t so expensive. I think I’m going to have to take another trip, just for Brooklyn places!

11. Haha! That is too funny about that guy on your run. I’m not competitive AT ALL so I probably would have slowed down and let him pass me. 😉 Good for you for beating him though! Girl power! 😛

12. Lyza says:

I am LOVING these entries so much!!!! 🙂 They’re definitely my favorite of yours so far 🙂

I love my little magic bullet 🙂 It’s just tooting along!! What a cute idea to bring it with.

Haha, you must have great stamina as I can’t even imagine attempting playing pass or be passed. I’d just allow everyone to pass me and go at my own pace! I’m a very slow runner!! 🙂 Running through central park sounds so marvelous too…I don’t think I’d want to run fast and miss out on all the things there are to take in! 🙂

I really really want that lasagna. LOL.

Loving your entries!!! <3

13. Amber K says:

LOL, I also laughed when you wrote that he said “damn it” after not being able to pass you. Tee-hee

That cookie looks delicious! Although I have never heard of this baking soda “kick.” I’m a newer reader and have never heard such a thing. Interesting!

14. Lisa says:

hahhaha its ok to be stingy with delicious food you only get to eat once- I SO am the same 😉 i gotta visit that place!!!!! 🙂

15. Lauren says:

I love these entries! You should throw in a few life entries with your regular posts even when you get back!

Loved the story about the runner! Wish I could play that game. Unfortunately the only living things I pass on my runs are cows.

That cookie looks AMAZING. Chocolate + raspberry is my favorite combination. Yum!

1. LOL! Well, you’d pass a lot of them… you’d get a super-high score in the game, right? 😉

16. hahahaha I love that running story!!! When I used to run I would play that game all the time! Its so satisfying. Either way, you push yourself to do your best and that’s always awesome!

17. Shelby says:

You should stop in at Gobo while you’re in the city! It’s right by LifeThyme on 6th and prettttty delicious.

1. I need at least a month for all the places I want to go! 🙁

18. Michaela says:

haha, love the running story 🙂 Reminds me how much I love running myself. I took my family´s dog, a boarder collie, the other day and it was awesome, as I forced myself to new limits, because he is so fast.
    I bet she loved the breakfast you made for her 🙂
    You look beautiful in that picture!

19. Tricia says:

Sounds like a fun running game, I should try it sometime. I also wanna try that cookie 🙂

20. Lisa says:

MMM! Cookie looks so good!