My Favorite Summer Treats

Side note:

Feel free to still answer yesterday’s question.

The responses are some of the funniest comments ever!

One hundred and thirteen.

That was the high temperature here in Dallas last week. We’re experiencing the second-hottest summer on record, with 40 days in a row over 100 degrees. Therefore, everyone has been searching desperately for ways to cool off. Here are some of my favorite summer treats:

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

Every time I’ve passed by a Starbucks this summer, there’s been a line out the door. Five bucks says no one’s ordering hot passion tea. Just a guess…

rawcoconutcreampie1

Chocolate-Grasshopper Pie

I haven’t made this pie in a long time. Need to remedy that! Chocolate-mint is one of my favorite combinations. That and chocolate-raspberry. And chocolate-coconut. And chocolate peanut butter. And… oh heck, I just like chocolate anything.

cdough

Healthy Milkshakes

Thick, creamy milkshakes that taste delicious and yet are sugar-free and healthy!

serendipity-hot-chocolate

Frozen Hot Chocolate

Frozen hot chocolate > hot hot chocolate. And frozen hot chocolate covered in vegan whipped cream and cacao nibs > everything.

fudgecake

Raw Chocolate-Fudge Cake

One of my favorite desserts of all time.

cake-ice-cream1

Voluminous Ice Cream

In flavors such as vanilla, mint chocolate chip, and cake batter (pictured above).

healthy-fudge-pops2

Chocolate Fudge Pops

I’m still waiting for someone to try the almond milk version of these fudge pops and tell me how it tastes!

Upcoming Posts:

• Thick Strawberry Milkshakes
  • Chocolate-Banana Bon Bons
  • Ice Cream Sandwiches… with a twist!
  • Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Question of the Day:

Is it hot where you are?

I know it’s not just Texas. One day this summer, when I was in New York, it reached 106… hotter than it was in Dallas that day!

Tags:

1. The weather is crazy! Thankfully where I live it is raining right now so we get a little bit of relief from the hot, hot, sun. Stay cool, Katie! I cannot wait for the frozen Bon Bon recipe! 😀

2. Its gotten pretta hot here, but right now theres a cold streak for some reason! Love these desserts anytime though…hot or cold weather 🙂

3. I am MOVING to be with you in Texas!! It is just blah here in London!! Came back from HOT Hawaii to cold England, and I miss it!! I don’t care though if it means I get to enjoy your fudge pops! I am making them regardless and I can’t WAIT! 😀

4. Hot? On the equator it certainly is! 🙁 24 hours a day, 365 days a year… Hence you cool treats 😀

5. VeggieGirl says:

Yep, it’s been pretty hot here – surprisingly…

6. Jenny says:

It’s COLD where I am!

Actually, that’s a semi-lie… It’s been kind of on and off in Vancouver. Our mornings are seemingly always colder (colder than they normally are in the summer, seriously) and the afternoons warm up a bit. I don’t think the temperature here has pushed past 25 degrees Celsius all summer… or even 24… Very saddening to someone like me, who grew up in SE Asia, in countries that sat on or were almost sitting on the equator. 🙁

How about an exchange?! Send some of your hot weather up north!

7. for once, its been PERFECT in ohio! not overly hot, but warm and sunny with a slight breeze! i knew ohio would come through for me eventually. and still plenty hot enough for a healthy starbucks frap 😉

8. Tara says:

Oooh I can’t wait for the strawberry milkshake or the peanut butter ice cream!! I might combine the two for a peanut butter and jelly flavored treat.
    It’s hot here in Philly (actually I just went out to Bryn Mawr the first time and thought of you!! It was beautiful!) but not nearly as hot as it is in Dallas. We’re looking at a much needed week of lots of rain now!

1. Bryn Mawr looks like it’s come right out of Harry Potter! So pretty!

9. Cathy says:

I live in Yuma, AZ – which is many times the hot spot in the nation, so it’s been really awful here for the last couple of months. (It’s been hotter, but the hottest I can remember here was 123 degres. But – only 6 weeks to go and we’ll have some of the best weather in the nation all the way though the middle of March. So, I think it’s worth it – at least we don’t have as much humidity as you do. I’m heading to Austin today and dreading the weather – even though it might not be as hot as here, it feels hotter.

1. Wow. I guess I shouldn’t complain! 123… I can’t even imagine! Although as soon as it gets over 100, it doesn’t really matter, does it? Hot is hot!

10. Jenny says:

No Copenhagen, Denmark is preatty cold for august, but never too cold for ICE cream

11. Jennifer says:

NY can’t seem to decide whether it wants to be an incredibly hot summer or a gloriously comfortable one. We’ve had our share of awful days, but quite a few nicer ones–or at least more bearable. Today, though, the monsoon has moved in!

12. It’s still warm where we are (80s, a few 90s) but fall is just around the corner. I can’t wait!!

(my fave is the frozen hot chocolate!!)

13. Jennyb says:

Only 18 C (64 F) just north on London. We don’t seem to have had many very hot days at all this year in England. It did feel a bit muggy earlier, i’m not going to complain though as i certainly couldn’t deal with the temperatures you’ve got! I experienced it when there was a heatwave in Canada while we were there in 2005, 40 C is far to warm for me. I’m a bit like a frozen treat myself – i just melt in the heat. The turned the air con off in the gym studio this morning for Body Balance, and i instantly started sweating, thankfully it was quickly put back on when the mirrors started steaming up!

Anyway, a frozen treat in the evening after dinner is normally quickly remedied with a hot chocolate in my world! Any excuse for another hot chocolate! I love the sounds of the Bon Bons & i’m becoming braver with peanut butter. I like a good twist too!

14. Leashieloo says:

It was boiling hot a couple weeks ago, but it’s cooled down a lot and we can actually breathe. Still wouldn’t stop me from eating your cold treats!

15. Aja says:

Yuck, too hot! Your cold treats are amazing. even though it’s cool here, I’m still going to eat them

16. Allyson says:

It is so hot here in Maryland! I think its averaging anywhere from 95 to 105 everyday! And not only is it hot, but it is extremely humid and unbearable! And I agree with you-all I have been wanting to eat is cold things-I think about 6 Popsicles a day so far haha.

I haven’t commented in quite some time, but I wanted to say how impressed I am with the amount of followers that you get! Since I have started following your blog (last January) I have watched the number of followers/likes on fb grow and grow! I really want to start my own blog soon, I just don’t have the time right now–but when I do I will definitely take pointers from your blog-I love it 🙂

1. Awww!! Thank you so much, Allyson!

And I think I’d rather have 110 with dry heat here than 100 with humidity like you have. Humidity is awful!

17. Anne says:

There are not enough hours in the day to make all of your yummy-looking treats, but I’m going to try! 😉 I live in the Valley of the Sun, so it is indeed hot, but we don’t get many opportunities to get cold in the winter. I’ll take the heat over the cold any day.

18. It had been really hot and humid but the past week or so it has cooled of in to the low 80’s! Loving it! 🙂

19. Amber K says:

Actually no. In Oregon we’ve had record lows. In fact, we haven’t had to buy a new air conditioner yet. We live in a top floor apartment and while it’s gotta a bit hot, it hasn’t been unbearable. The hottest temp. we’ve had so far is 84. I certainly don’t envy anywhere else right now!

20. VegAlexandra says:

Florida is almost as terrible! We typically stay below one hundred (thanks, Atlantic & Gulf of Mexico!), but the “feels like” temperature is almost always above one hundred, thanks to the crazy amounts of humidity.
    I get cold easily, though, so I guess I don’t mind the heat so much. : )