Vegan Cool Whip

Oh my goodness goodness gosh.

vegan cool whip

(Do I sound like a pre-teen at a Justin Bieber concert?)

This light and creamy coconut whipped topping is totally dairy free, with just one main ingredient… but it has the exact same texture as real homemade whipped cream!

vegan whipped cream

Vegan Cool Whip

(or coconut whipped cream)

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk (or coconut cream)
  • sugar, stevia, or powdered sugar to taste
  • optional: fruit (banana whipped cream, anyone?)

Coconut Whipped Cream: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. (Try not to shake the can too much before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Trader Joe’s coconut cream works perfectly for this recipe as well. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the thick creamy part to a bowl and whip in your sweetener with a fork, or beaters if you want to be really fancy and get stiff peaks like real whipped cream!

View Cool Whip Nutrition Facts

dairy free whipped cream

vegan whipped cream

Have you ever eaten Cool Whip?

No matter how you use this whipped cream, you really can’t go wrong. I recommend eating it with a spoon. Or your fingers. Not that I’ve tried this or anything…

For a chocoholic version, click here: Homemade Chocolate Cool Whip.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Kim says:

I used to love Cool Whip! My grandma put it on everything when we were kids, well all her desserts anyway. Unfortunately I developed an allergy to it and apparently every other kind of edible oil product so I have to stay away :( That means no Cool Whip or flavoured coffee creamers because they all do horrible things to me. Will definitely be trying this! I just don’t know if an open can of coconut milk will survive in the fridge for an entire night…

2. Can I just say that you have some of the best pics that I have seen? They are so creative! Love the idea of vegan cool whip. WIll definitely be giving this a try!

1. Thank you!!!!!! Seriously, that makes my day!

3. This has to be one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen in my life. I can’t wait to try it, thanks for posting the recipe!

4. PBnJ Fam says:

Oh man!!! I could have used this last night!!! I made your strawberry shortcake pancakes… DELISH…but couldn’t decide what the perfect topping would be… this would have been it!!! I made strawberry butter instead… which was yummy… but I think this whip cream will be heaven on ANYTHING!!! I want to put it on/in some hot cocoa… yumm! (I am dreaming of colder weather)

1. Strawberry butter? That sounds so fun! I’ve heard of apple butter and pumpkin… why did I never think there could be strawberry?!

1. PBnJ Fam says:

It is sooo good! and “fancies up” even toast… I must admit I am not a vegan… so I use butter… but I bet you could come up with an awesome “healthy” version!! I ALWAYS look forward to reading what genius recipe you have come up with each day!! I am trying to change my lifestyle to be healthier for my daughter (and myself) and you have inspired me in so many ways – thank you!!

5. Chelsea says:

Seriously? That’s it? Gosh…I’m buying coconut milk TODAY! I love cool whip by the spoonful right out of the freezer, but I feel so guilty over that ingredient list! Yay! My hubby will be thrilled, too. :-)

6. Kelly says:

Sounds awesome and easy! But I don’t think it’s good to leave anything in a can overnight in the fridge.

1. Hmmm… maybe in a bowl? You’re probably right that a can isn’t the best idea! I’m sure it’ll be ok transferred to a bowl. In fact, I’ll edit my post to say that :).

7. im sorry but youare WAY TOO COOL!! ahhh love everything you make and YOU!

8. I can’t wait to try this!! PS – don’t use generic coconut milk from Walmart. Ever. Seriously.

9. Lisa says:

have I ever eaten coolwhip?!? Katie, I;ve eaten an entire container of the stuff by myself in 2 days! hehheh I love it. Plus its not filling at all! lol (bad combo….)
    I think Ill try this! Gotta find unsweetened coconut milk first. And how would I eat it? probably as is. maybe on graham crakers or on top of chocolate pudding :)

10. No. Way. I was planning on making your agar whipped cream next week, but this looks sooooo easy and yum-tastic! (Am I twelve yet?) I’m gonna put it on some vegan custard!!

1. I’ll put some on the chocolate pancakes that we’ll be eating while your bf is hard at work on my site ;).

11. I love your pictures of the spoons with the single raspberry…so pretty!!!

12. Lauren says:

I love Cool Whip! My favorite thing to dip it with is graham crackers.
    I might try this recipe. Does coconut milk have a strong taste? I’ve never had it. I don’t like coconuts. I know, I’m in a minority on that one. I don’t like the taste or texture.

1. I don’t think it has a strong taste AT ALL… but I am a coconut lover, so I can’t say a coconut hater would necessarily agree!

13. Jenny says:

Your creativity and inventiveness never fails to impress, Katie!

Alas, as a whipped cream hater and someone who’s allergic to coconut, obviously this recipe is not up my alley… 😉 I made your chocolate chip blondies this morning, though. They’re all everyone [who commented on the original post] said they were and so much more! So awesome that chickpeas can taste that good…

1. I’m so happy you made the blondies!!

14. Ah! I’ve totally made this before :-), and it is finger-licking good. Actually.

15. Amber K says:

Hmm…I’d totally have to mix something with it. That’s my own problem with finding non-dairy options, I always want them to taste “plain” or like “vanilla” and they always have some sort of other flavor, like coconut. That’s not always a bad thing, but if I’m not wanting a coconut flavor, it’s a bummer. But this looks SO delicious. And I want some inbetween some raw cookies!

16. Shelby says:

While I gave up cool whip a long time ago, my mom is still addicted. I have a can of coconut milk in the pantry right now so I’ll whip up a batch and make her try it…if there’s any left of course 😉

17. Michaela says:

Katie, your photography is gorgeous!
    I have never tried Cool Whip. I have an apple cake recipe that goes nicely with whipped cream, but since going vegan, I have crossed all the dessert including whipped cream of my list. Maybe I should re-think them 😉

1. Thank you so so much, Michaela!

18. Aja says:

Gotta add coconut milk to my grocery list! I wonder if I could make my orange stuff with this instead of cool whip…

19. Lauren says:

You just made my day

20. Katie Henderson says:

Do you have a suggested brand? I see someone asked if its ok to use light coconut milk…I’m guessing the higher the fat the creamier the texture?

1. Thai Kitchen Organic worked really well for me. Native Food brand didn’t work at all. It never got thick!