Extreme Recipe Makeover

Are you an organized person?

By quickly looking at me, and my super-scary workspace(!), no one would ever think I’m an organized person. Whenever inspiration strikes, I make a note on whatever I can find–scrap paper, cookbooks, even cereal boxes… the little notes take over my entire house!

So it may *seem* like I’m highly unorganized. But if you ask me to find a particular item, I always know exactly where it is. (Unless “it” refers to my glasses. I am constantly misplacing those things.)

Organizing my recipes

Since I normally post at least three new recipes per week, keeping the recipe page up-to-date is overwhelming. This week, I tried really hard to fix it up and make it easier for people to navigate. Now, when you click on my recipe tab (at the top of my blog, under the picture of me), you’ll see something like this:

chocolate-chip-cookie-pie_thumb             cookies4

All Dessert Recipes                                             Cookies and Bars

pancakes-sharper1             vegan peanut butter milkshake

Pancake Recipes                                         Drinks and Milkshakes

mint_thumb            sberry-cake1

Ice Cream/Frozen Treats                             Single-Serving Muffins and Cupcakes

pb-cake-2              oatfudge3_thumb

Baked Goods                                                  All things Oatmeal

ice-cream-sandwiches_thumb

Recipes by Special Diet                                         Non-Dessert Recipes

One of the changes I made was to have all the photos as links now. So if you click on the actual photos, you’ll be taken to the recipes instead to just a larger photo.

Question of the Day:

Would other people say you are organized?

And would you call yourself organized? Also, let me know if the recipe page is less confusing now.  And, if you ever can’t find a certain recipe, just ask me. I probably know where it is. I swear, I’m organized… in my head, at least!

Just don’t ever ask me to help you find your glasses.

Tags:

1. Hee your new recipe page is perfect! Thank you 😀
    PS: I’m not organised at all. I can’t find my phone, spectacles (in the morning), pencils, umbrella, sometimes even my BAG half the time… I’m the only one in my family who’s like that! They help me find my stuff… begrudgingly 😀

2. I am a somewhat organized person haha, I always loose my glasses, and it sucks because it takes forever to find them since I cannot see without them! Haha 🙂

3. I love it love it love it!!!! And yes, I do pride myself on my speed/stalking skills 😉 Oh, and that photo of the cookie pie is seriously the BEST photo I’ve ever seen! I LOVE it!! 😀

P.S. 4 days for you eeeeeeee!!!

1. Haha glad you like it… I’m still smarting that foodgawker rejected it. They obviously need to TASTE it ;).

1. Michaela says:

haha, I bet they would constantly feature your food if they tasted it first 😉

2. They REJECTED that photo?!?! Seriously, that is one of the best photos I have EVER SEEN!! You are such an awesome photographer! 🙂

1. LOL and they took some photos even I don’t like! My rice crispy treat photo… um seriously? I do not understand, but I’m grateful they take anything of mine, so I guess I shouldn’t complain!

P.S. You still haven’t told me how old you are! 😉

1. Well I think ALL your photgraphs are awesome, and they are clearly blind for not accepting it!! I do love that site though- I could spent all DAY drooling over their vegan stuff!! Actually, I think that was how I found you in the first place…!

And I’m 17! Sorry, didn’t mean to keep you on tenterhooks or anything haha 😉

4. I am not an organized person at all! Thankfully I find it easier to organize my blog than, let’s say, my room. 😉

5. Jennifer JCD says:

I love the new layout and the linked photos. I’m pretty organised too, and even though I wear glasses all day every day, I often misplace them and have trouble finding them too. Quite often I’m too sleepy to realise I am wearing them! Oh, those are rough mornings. Haha.

After browsing the recipes page for a while, I think we’ll be making some of your oatmeal pancakes this weekend. Yummy!

1. My mom complains about losing her glasses, and it’s really not fair… she only needs reading glasses, so she can buy a hundred pairs. Mine are much more expensive, and so I have to keep track of only two or three! They need to invent some sort of device with a beep to help you locate glasses.

But then, with my scatterbrained-ness, I’d probably lose the device! 😕

6. Gen says:

I may be called OCD, but “organization” in the traditional sense, has never really been applied to me! hahaha 😀 Love the new recipe page!

7. Pureglow*16 says:

Hey! what are those oreo looking things you have in the picture above called? can’t find post! thanks! 🙂

8. VEgirl says:

I would consider myself organized– and I make an effort to keep organized, most of the time. I don’t keep things super perfectly spic-n-span (as much as I love it when everything is perfectly in it’s place, and I do that whenever I can!). I don’t know what other people think– I leave my stuff around the house and don’t always put my dishes in the dishwasher, but I am working on both of those! Although I know I a bit of a clean freak when I go to houses that aren’t organized and I start going crazy inside! My mom grew up with a clean freak mother and so my mom has rubbed off on me ;).

PS: I made an ice cream pancake sandwich for breakfast this morning! I made on big pancakes that was chocolate, and another that was oatmeal raisin (both stevia sweetened)! I put banana soft-serve inbetween… YUM!

9. Minnooo says:

Only you could make a bowl of oats look like a sundae!

10. Eric Jaffa says:

Are you near-sighted or far-sighted?

1. LOL I always forget! I can’t see far away… so nearsighted? I only wear glasses for driving and when I’m shopping or watching tv.

11. It’s a feast for the eyes!

I’m anything but organized … unless you include organized chaos. Ha ha 🙂

12. I’m learning to be more organized. It’s a process for me. I spent most of the past several years in a state of barely-contained chaos in terms of living space. It’s getting better though!

13. Ashley says:

I think other people would say I am– until they saw my workspace! It’s always so cluttered, like you I write little notes all the time! And the worst part is, I’m a person who will leave just leave, say, her debit card on the corner of her desk by the printer, and my boyfriend will pick it up and go “here” and I’ll say– well now, if I go looking for it I won’t know where it is! It drives him nuts, haha. Love the recipe makeover by the way!

14. Jennifer says:

I always say that the state of the papers or the state of my email inbox is a reflection of my life. If things are going well, all is generally in an overly neat and organized state: papers filed or in binders, emails moved to the appropriate folders. When life is crazy, all bets are off: papers are everywhere. Inbox is out of control.

Usually, I then get so frustrated that I have an “organization day”: I put on some music and put EVERYTHING away. It makes me feel better–even if it is temporary because life is still crazy!

15. Allie says:

Just found your blog yesterday and I already love it (and, spend hours pouring over it yesterday)! Love the new way you will be organizing your recipes, it will makes them ubber easy to find!

1. Hiiiii!
      *Waves like a crazy girl :)*
      So glad you found me!

16. Nichole says:

I’m kind of like you in this respect, i think. I feel like i’m really organized, but i don’t think other people see me as that organized (or at least my mom doesn’t. she’s super crazy about those things). i can be kind of messy, but i have my own system, basically.

1. We are just too organized to be organized on the outside, right? 😉

1. Nichole says:

exactlyy!

17. Oh man, I could never misplace my glasses. I’m so blind without them! Love the look of the new page, everything’s beautiful and easy to find!

18. Li says:

I think you can organize all your blog posts by tags, and each post can have multiple tags… that way you don’t have to organize it all yourself?

1. Li says:

I forgot to add since we are on the topic of organization/websites. I was wondering why you have all your links open in a new page, since I use chrome and firefox, it is easy to choose to open a page in a new page/tab if I wanted to (with middle click), but if I want to open it in the same page, I have to click and drag the link to the url box… is it possible to make the links open in the same page?

1. I have them opening in a new window because it drives me crazy when I’m reading something and see a good link but still want to stay on the old page too!

1. Li says:

I know what you mean, but when I’m browsing your site I would end up with a million different open tabs that become very hard to manage, and it’s much easier for me to use a back button to browse through. Say if I go to the recipe tab, that will open in a new window, then when I click on a recipe, it will open in a new window again, so to access one single recipe, I’ll have opened 2-3 windows that are unnecessary.

The new window discussion has been long debated, and doing a quick google search it seems most people prefer links to not force people to open in new windows (there are some articles about it like this: http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/01/should-links-open-in-new-windows/). It’s mainly because it’s much easier to choose to open in a new window or tab if it is a regular link than it is to force a link to open in the same window if it’s set to new window. It’s the difference between a single middle click (to open in new tab) and click-dragging the link up to the url (to force the link to stay in the same window), if you are pressed on time, middle clicking is much easier.

Regardless, I think your site content is great and I come here all the time, I just wish all the links won’t open in new windows, especially if the links are going to another part of your site.

1. Oh goodness, I really don’t mean to frustrate you! 🙁

When I add new recipes to the archives in the future, I will try to remember to specify not to open in a new page!

2. Li says:

Thanks so much! Sorry if I sounded mean or anything, I didn’t mean to do that. 🙁

I wasn’t that frustrated, it’s just you have so many interesting things here I usually end up with 20+ tabs open and it gets hard to navigate/keep track of which page is which because I usually like to use the back and forward buttons but I can’t do that if it had opened in a new page. And I only linked that article to show you that it’s not just me (because I don’t like complaining about things that only affect me), and that it’s actually just better design to have it open in the current window.

3. No worries! I love constructive criticism!!!

19. That must have taken so much work! Thanks Katie, it makes finding recipes a lot easier, and fun to look at. You wear glasses?! You’ve never worn them in any pictures you’ve posted, are they just for reading?

1. 🙂 I do wear glasses!
      Just for driving, watching tv, and shopping, though. 🙂

20. Melissa says:

I am super, crazy, neurotically organized. And it drives me CRAZY when I’m not!

You need a glasses chain. Made with beads. Just like an old lady. I’ll bet you’d rock it! 🙂

1. LOL! Oh I would! Wait, what about a chain made of chocolate… remember those candy necklaces? Mmmmmmm chocolate necklaces…