Evil Whipped Cream

Don’t wear white after Labor Day.

Apparently my naughty berries don’t care one iota about fashion rules:

vegan-whip-cream_thumb35

Fresh raspberries, blueberries, and healthy whipped cream.

See the photo? Times that by about a hundred to get how much of the cream I ate yesterday. Thankfully, the cream recipe is so healthy that eating an entire bowl is not a problem.

(To clarify: I don’t mean to suggest that I—or anyone else—should feel guilty about occasionally indulging in a large serving of an unhealthy food. Everything in moderation. But this whipped cream recipe is so good that I don’t want to eat in moderation! Therefore, I’m glad it’s healthy.)

I’m reposting the recipe below, to save you extra clicking.

vegan-whip-cream_thumb52

Soy-Free Vegan Cream

(Makes 1 1/2 cups: one Katie-sized serving!)

• sweetener of choice
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp water (20g)
  • 1/2 serving agar base (the linked recipe below)
  • 3 drops coconut extract (Optional, but recommended)
  • optional: cocoa or fruit (for flavored cream)

Instructions: First, make up the agar base. When it’s cooled, put half of it in a blender (or Magic Bullet) with all the other ingredients and blend away. Whip very well. I like to put it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to eating, so it’s super-cold. Optional: add fruit, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, or other add-ins.

Nutritional Info:
(for the entire bowl!)
Calories: 60
Fat: 3g
Protein: 2g
Carbohydrates: 3g

Want a version without agar? Try the following instead: Coconut Cool Whip.

blueberry-cream_thumb35

Tags: , ,

1. Stephanie says:

I’ve always been on Snape’s side! And I love Dexter, too!

2. Hmmm… cinnamon blondies? Cookie Dough Blondies? (Whoa that sounds good!) Oatmeal Raisin Blondies? Haha I can’t tell!! I do feel sorry for the “bad” guys especially when they repent in the end 🙁

3. I’m guessing they might be pumpkin blondies?! Or is that too premature for fall time considering yesterday was before labor day like you said. Can’t wait out find out though they look gooood!

4. I admit that I felt pretty bad for Tom when he got tortured by Jerry, but overall, I’m on the “good guys” side 🙂

Mmmm I still need to try your healthy whipped cream!!! I start drooling every time I see it 😉

I really don’t get the point of Labor Day either, but it does mean a day off from school, so I can’t complain too much 😉 But is sad that not everyone gets it off 🙁

And you look gorgeous in that picture! Especially your hair 🙂

<3 <3

5. No, no sympathy for the bad guys. The one I really don’t dig is “Big” from SITC!! For me I can’t wear white because I get smoothies all over myself! Had to buy those glass straws so I didn’t end up with turmeric blueberry colored clothes!

1. I had a friend who always had to bring an extra change of clothes every time she wore white, because whe would ALWAYS spill on those days!

6. Jenny says:

I’m glad you put “bad” in quotation marks! I can’t help but believe that “bad” guys aren’t really “bad”, most of the time; They’re just mistaken individuals. After all, the path to hell is paved with good intentions, right? Most of the time they don’t seem to be evil just for the heck of it.

In any case, from book 1 of Harry Potter, I suspected that Snape had a very good reason for all his actions. Plus, even though I really disliked Draco at first, somewhere along the way he turned into a really interesting character!

Funny you mention that about Labour Day. I’m working today, too! Haha, wish my friends had been throwing their BBQ parties yesterday instead of today, so I could’ve gone… Though I doubt anyone is bringing desserts to said parties today that are as delicious as any of your recipes. I’ll be looking forward to tomorrow’s recipe! And I’m guessing that Katie (@KatieDid) is right and that your blondies were pumpkin flavoured?!

1. So true… or they’ve had rough childhoods or bad role models. I feel badly for many “villains” in real life too :(.

7. Emilia says:

Could those be peanut butter blondies? or perhaps pumpkin? Both sound totally yum!

I, too, tend to root for the bad guys. They are always much more interesting and complex than the good guys because they have to have something to make them bad!

8. Is it weird that I thought Professor Snape was/is hot??? love to hate him!

1. Well I thought the Godfather was hot, so I can’t judge you ;).

9. judy says:

i was hoping you’d post another new recipe 🙁

1. Sara says:

Wow, I can’t believe you had the nerve to say something like this. Seriously, you don’t think your comment is even just a little rude? Katie isn’t some big company just spewing out recipes. She obviously puts time and effort into each recipe post, and it takes a lot more effort than it might seem. (I used to have a blog, but it got to be too much time.)

2. Melissa says:

I know I’ll get shot down for this comment but … well … I was kinda hoping the same!… nobody says it but … I expect we are not the only ones… on the one hand it seems rude, on the other, Katie does say she likes to get feedback on what readers want, and is looking to spend more time on the blog so it probably helps for people like you (and me) to be frank. For my part I generally keep coming back for new recipes, and lately I’ve seen a lot of posts linking to old recipes, so instead of visiting every day, I’ve started to visit the site less often… one other thing that would be great is more day in the life/day routine stuff and oh, some way of searching through the archive of recipes (this may already be there but I might be too braindead to have found it…)

1. Judy and Melissa,

I try not to post a recipe every day because people get overwhelmed and have asked me to slow down. Also, not everyone remembers every recipe, and therefore some people have said they really like the recaps. I’m sorry you are not in that category, but I put hard work and effort into EVERY one of my posts (Thanks, Sara!), and I really enjoy writing all of my posts, not just my recipe posts. And I’d rather space my recipes out and take the time to write really good ones than just post mediocre recipes every single day. I believe that quality is much more important than quantity. Sorry to anyone who feels differently, but this is my blog and I won’t water it down with sub-par recipes just for the sake of putting up a recipe.

1. Jessica says:

Hi Katie, I hope its ok if I chime in. I am one of the people who very much appreciates your recap posts, because I am a newish reader and have so much catching up to do! I loved your cake batter post yesterday and went right out and made the funfetti cookie dough balls for my two little girls who went wild for them! I must admit, I went wild for them too ;). Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog every day. I am loving it!

1. Lorin says:

Yeah, every recipe you have I love and there’s so many of them that it would be hard to keep up and I think people appreciate it more when they can see what else you are up to. You have a life as well, with friends and family and you’re not going to be in the kitchen all day every single day just to get a recipe up every day. I like the daily things just the same as the recipes, it’s different. It’s more personal and I like seeing the link back to older recipes because sometimes I forget about them; like your cake batter recipe. I will end up making it tommorow but may not have if you didn’t put it up.

2. Sarahishealthy says:

I agree with Lorin :).
            I actually like these posts, maybe even more than the recipes ones! (although the recipe ones are pretty awesome as well!) But you can find recipes on any old blog. I feel like the reason so many people come back to your blog every day is because you put a personality behind the blog. Your blog makes me smile every day, Katie!

3. Aw thanks, Lorin! I hope you like whatever cake batter recipe you try!!! 🙂

4. judy says:

wow i didnt expect that many comments. ok now i see from both perspectives! maybe, now that blogging is your job, make each post more about daily things, not just the recap, again im sooo sorry! i did not mean for it to be rude. i just love your creative recipes 🙂

5. Thanks, Judy! Hope you liked yesterday’s. Tomorrow I’ll have another one up. I aim for 2-4 a week.

10. Adria Biasi says:

Hey,
    I was wondering if you could give me some tips on baking with xanthan gum, I have a lot of it I bought to thicken up my smoothies. Can it even be used in baking or like with your whipped cream, can you substitute xanthan gum in for agar agar? Thanks for your time!!

1. Hey Adria!
      I actually haven’t experimented much with xantham gum in baking. I did try it as a replacement for the agar once in the whipped cream, and it did thicken… but it tasted kinda paste-y 🙁
      I’d love to experiment with it more in baked goods!

11. Happy Labor Day! Looks yummy.

I was totally rooting for the phantom! He was attractive and mysterious and sings to her?
    What’s a girl to do? 🙂

1. I hated hated hated that play when I saw it on Broadway because I felt so sorry for the guy throughout the entire play! Loved the music, but it was just so sad!

12. Yum! I had never seen this whip cream recipe before! Thanks 🙂

13. Sara says:

That cream bowl looks so yummy and patriotic! I agree, white is always in style. As are you! 🙂

14. White is classic. Period. No limits. 🙂

That is a GREAT picture of you!

I love Labor Day (it’s actually my favorite holiday) because of my family traditions. I do wish more people were off work though.

I always rooted for the coyote too – I hated that “meep meep” sound the roadrunner made.

15. Melissa says:

I’m at work. But HEY, time and a half!! 😀
    I’ll take it.

16. samantha says:

I am totally gonna make this!!!! Yippee!!!!!! I feel less guilty already – and….. Yes – I ate my fair share of whipped cream ….. all alone! LOL

17. samantha says:

also…*giggle* if I wear white, all the most colorful foods, and small children know that I am wearing it… white clothing is a tractor beam! LOL

1. LOL about the small children! They seem to have a knack for knowing when you’re dressed up. Jelly or syrup seem to often be on their hands when you have an important event. Funny how that works…

18. Ragnhild says:

Oh oh, that whipped cream is on my top list of things to make! Oly problem is that my top list is sooo long, and it keeps growing every day 😛 I will get around to it someday 🙂
    Cant wait for the chocolate mousse pie recipe!!

19. Aja says:

I never understood the no white after labor day rule.
    I always root for the “bad” guys and when I’m really bored I try to figure out their motivation for being “bad”.

20. I’ve never bought agar, so I’ll try the coconut version! It looks delicious. 😉

I have to admit that I always find myself feeling sorry for the ”bad” guys in movies/shows. Not the really evil ones, but the ones that has a soft side to them, hidden under that attitude. My favourite kind of storylines is when he finally really falls for a girl …cliché, I know, but I guess I have a weak spot for ”bad” guys.