Eat like a Pirate

cookie dough dip

Arrr, what be this? It’s Cookie Dough Dip.

Talk like a Pirate.

Did you know that today is National Talk like a Pirate Day? I really don’t know who makes these things up, but they’re really funny. For example, Friday was Collect Rocks Day. Wha??

My little knowledge of pirates comes from movies like Muppet Treasure Island and Pirates of the Caribbean. So aside from the obvious “shiver me timbers” I really am clueless when it comes to talking like a pirate.

I did, however, dress like one last night. One of my friends threw a Pirate party, and my date and I went as Elizabeth Swan and Jack Sparrow. (I tried to tell him it’s supposed to be Will Turner, but he said Jack Sparrow was infinitely cooler. Honestly, who can argue with that?)

dessert hummus

Even healthier than before?

Last night, I tried something new with the Cookie Dough Dip.

True, it’s always been much healthier than if you were to eat a big bowl of real cookie dough. But even this dip was still quite high in sugar. So I amended the recipe, lowering both the fat and sugar amounts.

I wanted to see if people could tell the difference. Guess what… they couldn’t! They devoured every last chocolate chip. Granted, there was a lot of Bacardi at this party (what’s a pirate party without rum?), so maybe the guests weren’t the best judges of taste.

In any case, I fixed the original recipe to reflect the changes I made to last night’s successful version.

dessert hummus

cookie dough dip

Recipes to Eat like a Pirate:

healthy-pb-cookies

PB Cookie Dough Cookies

Also known as the awesomest peanut butter cookies in the world. They could pass for golden coins, right? Heck, who even needs golden coins? I’ll just take these!!

bon bon 3

Chocolate Banana Bon Bons

I repeat, who needs golden coins?

chickpeas

Oh okay, have some Golden Coins.

If you must.

pirate food

Pineapple Floats with Coconut Cream

A great way to get in a ton of Vitamin C (and thus prevent scurvy!)

Question of the Day:

Do you know how to talk like a pirate?

Or are you totally clueless like me?! Are you celebrating today?

pirate photo

1. YAY! Love Cookie Dough Dip! No, I don’t know how to talk like a pirate… wasn’t too big a fan of ‘pirates of carribean’!

2. Jenny says:

It’s almost scary how much that first picture looks like real cookie dough (as in, it looks like the authentic sugar-laden, egg-containing chocolate chip cookie dough), even though it’s so much healthier and tastes just as good.

Thanks for the heads up on the update! It’s already one of my favourite recipes on your blog. 🙂 I remember hearing about national “talk like a pirate” day last year and wondering the same thing: who comes up with these national __ days?! In any case… Don’t worry, you’re definitely not alone in not knowing how to talk like a pirate. I’ve got no clue, either. 😉 (And highly doubt anyone at business school would appreciate me speaking like that anyway, haha.)

3. Melissa says:

I don’t know a lot of pirate lingo, but I’ve been telling everyone I have swashbuckling to do! I don’t really know what that means, but it sounds super fun! 😀

4. Ha! That last picture is hilarious!! Had no idea that it is talk like a pirate day! Vaguelly remember it from last year though, when everyone changeed their facebooks to pirate-speak.

5. Ha! I never knew talk like a pirate day existed! Do you have to dress up too?

6. Jennyb says:

i heard on the radio this morning that it actually came about from 2 guys playing a tennis match & one was hit by a ball and said “Arrggh”, they eventually started playing matches talking like pirates & then organised a tournament with others in the pirate style for charity. Not sure if its true or not, although they did say that they had the daughter of one of the guys on the phone last year. The guy is the kind of presenter to make you believe all sorts of funny stuff tho.

7. Arrrg, I be talking like a pirate all the day, love. I would love to get me grimy hands on some of them bloody golden coins you be speakin’ of. Arrrrg!

8. Arrrrg, I be talkin’ like a pyrate all day, love! I would like to get me grimy hands on one of them thar bloody golden coins you be speakin’ of.

9. where do you find all these weird holidays? If you need help with pirate talk, you could always start with Facebook, Pirate is one of the possible languages!

1. Google search, or my friends tell me

10. vegirl says:

Me? A pirate?

I’m not even very familiar with the pirates of the Caribbean movie (my sister loved them all, on the other hand). I used to really like those chocolate gold coins though– remember those? Too bad they have milk :(. Love the cookie dough modifications!

11. Molly says:

I would totally speak in pirate talk for a day if I got to eat all these goodies!

12. This is so funny, I just heard on my radio too that it was Talk Like a Pirate Day. I love the announcer, who said “There’s no real historical significance to this day, just a bunch of men who thought it would be funny to go around and talk like a pirate.”

I’m from the Cayman Islands where, every October or November we have Pirates Week, a whole week of festivities leading up to the final Pirates Week parade. It’s pretty big time – people who like to dress up as pirates come from all over the world for it. So I feel as though most of my life I’ve spent dressing up as and talking like a pirate, haha. If you visit http://www.piratename.net it gives you your pirate name. Mine is Captain Asia Aycock. What’s yours??

1. It was some really random thing like Mercedes Late Pie… lol I can’t remember. But it was fun :).

13. Clueless here, but pumped to eat like a pirate if it means cookie dough dip!

14. Ashley says:

My middle sister loves the Pirates of Caribbean movies, and when my younger sis worked at Disneyland over the summer when the fourth one premiered– she was working in the main ice cream shop when Johnny Depp walked past! I was DYING.

I made this dip for my family awhile back, and they loved it! Granted, I didn’t tell them there were beans in it (I knew none of them were allergic) and they devoured it. I felt so proud. And sneaky.

15. I’m totally clueless when it comes to talking like a pirate, BUT I have a friend who kills it every time! Love listening to her do it! haha.

16. Ragnhild says:

Oh, Pirate is actually my favorit theme for partys!! Its so much fun to dress up like them 😀
    This dip looks so good! I bet it is too, so I totally believe the not so sober pirates from last night 😉

17. I love this holiday. I learned about it in high school and have celebrated ever since. My friend and I made a pirate movie in high school. We were quite I to it… Grog is my favorite pirate term. Kind of like pirate moonshine:)

18. Em says:

u r always ahead of us with the days 🙂 you are going to have to tell me how you know its these days all the time! pirate day…etc!

1. Google search :). But for this one, my friends told me.

19. Katie, I love your blog! Do you have a recipe for refined-sugar free hot chocolate?? I’ve been dying for some hot cocoa for the fall, but of course would love for it to be healthified 🙂

1. But maybe you could just skip the freezing steps?

1. Just tried it (Ha, no patience here!) and it was delicious!!! I used the simply chocolate from TJs that’s sugar free, and it had a bit of trouble melting, but that just added to chocolatey yumminess surprises as I sipped! 🙂 Thanks!

1. Oh wow, you are fast! I am SO glad it worked!! 🙂

20. Jana says:

This cookie dough I will eat for breakfast tomorrow…Dip with apples and bananas. Great!! I love Dessert for Breakfast 🙂