Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pizookie Pie!

A giant, gooey chocolate chip pumpkin pizookie.

Recipe from @choccoveredkt... I've made this recipe about 1000 times and no one ever believes it's healthy... One of the best desserts I've ever made: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/24/its-a-chocolate-pumpkin-pizookie/

pin-it

Above, topped with my Homemade Healthy Vanilla Ice Cream.

So what the heck is a pizookie???

It’s something between a pie and a cookie. A giant, gooey, melty and delicious deep dish chocolate chip cookie. Sounds pretty fantastic, right?!

Emily (my roommate) and I invited a bunch of friends over for a housewarming party Saturday night, and I wanted to christen the new oven in style. So I figured it was a great time to test out an idea I’d been meaning to try for a few months: pumpkin deep-dish cookie pie. With chocolate chips, of course.

Recipe from @choccoveredkt... I've made this pumpkin pizookie recipe about 1000 times and no one ever believes it's healthy... One of the best desserts I've ever made: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/24/its-a-chocolate-pumpkin-pizookie/

To say it was a huge success would be an understatement! More than one person at the party said it was the best pie he or she had ever eaten, and I think every single crumb was gone just ten minutes after I served the pie! Seriously, do not worry about serving the following recipe to a crowd of “non-healthy” eaters. They will devour this healthier chocolate chip pie like there is no tomorrow.

If you’re still unsure, read the 1000+ positive comments on this post.

(You’ll find a similar number of positive comments and rave reviews if you look at my white bean blondie and cookie dough posts. I know it seems weird, but these bean desserts are actually HUGE crowd pleasers. Honest!)

pin-it

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pizookie

(gluten free!)

Inspired by the Deep Dish Cookie Pie.

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (or butternut squash or sweet potato)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar or coconut sugar (For a sugar-free version, perhaps try xylitol. Also, white sugar will work if you don’t have brown. Also: I know some readers have successfully made my original pie with agave, but I haven’t tried it.)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything except the chips very well in a food processor (NOT a blender). Blend until it’s super-smooth. Mix in chips, and pour into a pan. (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for 35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

pizooki

Have you ever heard of a pizookie?

Apparently, the name is a combination of “pizza” and “cookie” and was first coined by the chain restaurant, BJ’s Brewhouse. Their website says BJ’s offers Red Velvet pizookies and Triple Chocolate ones. Hmmmm… what flavor should I try next?

Maybe a pizookie from my Peanut Butter & Jelly Blondies.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Guess who is trying this out tonight?! THIS GIRL! ….Never heard of a pizcookie but hey- you learn something new every day!

1. Amy says:

There’s a chain of restaurants called BJ’s that, I think, invented the pizookie. They might even have it trademarked, not sure!

2. katie says:

Holy crap, this looks delish!!!!! LOVE! I realize more and more everyday that I have a exclamation point obsession, lol

Happy Monday beautiful !

3. Megan says:

This looks so fudgy and delicious!!! It looks like it would simply melt in my mouth…I love pumpkin and chocolate! Can you host parties at my house? My friends often eat at BJs and they ordered a pizookie once; they are huge! Your’s looks better :-) I think you should try the red velvet pizookie next! Or a peanut butter snicker doodle pizookie. Needless to say, you never cease to amaze me Katie!

4. Dawn says:

Hi Katie! I don’t see the link for the sugar free version (or I could just be blind). This looks wonderful but I don’t have sugar at the house. If you could forward it to me that would be great!

1. Eek, sorry, I hadn’t meant to leave that part of the recipe in there! I do have an *idea* for a sugar-free version, but I’ve never tried it.
      Basically, it’s this: leave out the sugar, and add in 2 and 1/2 cups pitted dates (soaked in water for at least 8 hours).
      As I said, I’ve not tried it… but if you want to try it, I would be so interested to know if it works!

1. Holly says:

I tried it once with date puree. I wasn’t a big fan, but it might have simply been a fluke. i usually use coconut palm sugar or honey in theseand they turn out great!

1. Tracy says:

Would you use an equal amount honey, because that would be extra moisture!?

1. Holly H says:

I use a majority coconut sugar and only 4 tbsp of honey. They are super moist and I feel like they get MORE moist as time passes.

2. Rebekah says:

Thank you!

5. If I was home, this Would be in my belly in under an hour, flat.

6. Wow. Just WOW! I’m sooo going to make this!

7. A red velvet pizookie sounds awesome!

1. Katie says:

I so agree with Erica! Katie, please try the red velvet pizookie! ♥

8. I hadn’t ever heard of a pizookie until I saw another blogger make one, but hers was a single serving one – this is a whole new level!

9. Hi Katie, this looks delicious! I love your original Deep Dish Cookie Pie so can’t wait to try this one!

I live in Ireland and we unfortunately have no Stevia sweetener here, which is a pain because it means I have to use artificial sweeteners, which makes anything you bake taste bad. I did, however, see Xylitol, another natural sweetener, in some health shops near me. Have you tried this? And if so, does it work in baking?

Thank you!

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried Xylitol

2. Vicki says:

I love xylitol and don’t care for Stevia. Xylitol works great for baking or anything for that matter. I always use less that the recipe calls for, but that’s just for my personal taste, you can use it as a sub for sugar in any recipe. It’s pricey, but so worth it. I have a severe corn allergy, so I have to use xylitol from a birch source, but if you don’t have corn issues that should not be a problem.

1. Thank you Vicki, yes it is very expensive! About 9 euro/13 dollars for a regular sized bag! Will have to invest in it sometime, I hate that I rely on Splenda and I can’t bake some of the fab recipes on here :(

1. vicki says:

sometcompany’s sell “Brown Sugar” when it all it really is is a mixture of white sugar and mollasses, not pure brown sugar. So that may be an option. I bet pure maple syrup would even complement this recipe well. \

2. Lenore says:

Just make sure nothing gets on the floor if you have dogs. Xylitol can kill them.

10. Christelle says:

Pizookie….what an awesome concept! I’ve never heard of it, and this chocolate pumpkin one is right up my alley. It looks amazing Katie, thanks for sharing :)

11. Lauren says:

Ditto on the link for sugar free recipe please!!

1. Sorry, I hadn’t meant to leave that part of the recipe in there! I do have an *idea* for a sugar-free version, but I’ve never tried it.

12. Dalai Lina says:

Another amazing recipe…I think I would have been hiding under a rock if I just moved! Bravo!

13. Katie says:

That one’s going to have to go on my to try list!

14. Pumpkin cookie deep-dish pie. Awesome!

I made some pumpkin scones over the weekend and now have more pumpkin to use up. Sounds delicious.

15. Jennifer JCD says:

Mmm… what a perfect combination!! I have no doubt this was a huge success. I’m betting you’ll have another four thumbs up from us by the end of this week. :)

We’ve been making Pizookies for years, although under a different name. Who wouldn’t want a super-ginormous cookie??

16. Culinary genius. This looks incredible, Katie!
    It’ll be a hit with all of my hall-mates. We found the dorm kitchen finally! haha

17. tweal says:

Never heard of a pizookie, but boy, am I glad I know about them now! Can’t wait to try this recipe – thanks for sharing :)

18. I have never heard of a piezouckie- not sure how to pronounce- is it like pie + cookie?
    Sounds lovely anyway!

19. CookiePie says:

LOVE it — and pumpkin + chocolate may just be my favorite flavor combo.

20. I have never heard of a piezookie- not sure how to pronounce- is it like pie + cookie?
    Sounds lovely anyway!