My Halloween Costume

Click for the winner of the Healthy Chocolates’ Giveaway.

Costume Party

My friend went all out for Saturday’s Halloween party. Seriously, all out. When we arrived, there was a grim reaper statue next to the door… only it wasn’t really a statue. As I knocked on the door, the statue reached out and grabbed me (and then laughed when I screamed). Inside, he’d decorated with spider webs and pumpkins, and he’d stuck plastic bugs all over the stairs. It was creepy and gross. And really awesome.

I usually like to be creative when it comes to Halloween costumes, but on the morning of the party I still didn’t know what to wear. Without time to shop, I went on a search through my old closet at my parents’ house:

halloween costume

I have absolutely no clue why I still own this old overall jumper, but it gave me the idea to dress up as “My Inner Child.” I found the baby doll in my sister’s closet. (Michelle, do you remember this doll?? What was her name again?)

Also part of the costume: Crayolas, dum dum lollipops, and a frog lunch box. I really wanted to wear a pair of those light-up sneakers with the Disney characters. But I don’t think they make those in my size. Too bad.

The best costumes at the party were worn by my friends who’d gotten married last year. They went as each other, and they made us all call them by the other’s name all night. It was hilarious.

halloween me

Party Desserts:

I made two desserts. One was the Apple Crumble Bars.

I brought them in the lunch box! And, as I wrote yesterday, the bars were a big hit. But the other dessert I brought was an even bigger hit. Any guesses as to what it was? (Hint: it involves chocolate!) I’ll get that recipe posted tomorrow.

Tonight I’ll probably just sit home—in my comfy pjs—and hand out PlayDoh to trick-or-treaters. I got this cute PlayDoh idea from my blog friend, Jennifer (JCD).

healthy-pb-cookies

I’d love to give the kids PB Cookie Dough Cookies.

It’s sad that we live in a world where giving homemade treats to trick-or-treaters just can’t be done. On the other hand, it means I get to keep all the cookie dough for myself. And my roommate has to work tonight, so I really get all the cookie dough to myself. Muahahahahaha!

Update:

By popular request, I added calorie counts to the mint cupcakes.

1. Omg those last cookies look amazing. I want one!! It is a bummer that it’s not socially acceptable to hand out homemade treats. I mean, I see where they’re coming from. When I have children I don’t think I would want them eating something made by a stranger. Then again, everything at a bakery is technically made by a stranger. Or at a restaurant. And…I am rambling, lol. Happy Halloween! Enjoy your day 😀

2. Sarah says:

You look super cute. Seriously. And actually my grandmother gave homemade treats to the neighborhood kids and they loved it! Mostly cuz they got the unhealthy stuff all the time and really never got home made stuff. And those apple crumble bars are calling my name. So i am going to go answer them right now!

3. I love that idea of dressing up as each other!! Really cute!!! So glad your apple crumble bars were a success! (How could they not be?)

4. Sounds like a fun Halloween party! If I were hosting one, I would totally have a live person standing outside of my door…love that idea!

5. You look awesome in the costume, I bet it was a really fun night! I wanted to make treats for one of the parties I attened but Jello shots stole the show so I didn’t bother 😉

6. Diana says:

When I was growing up, there was a house right around the corner that would give out candy apples. They opened the 2 bays to their garage and had a whole shop setup in there. They sealed the wrapping around the apples w/ their return address labels so the parents would know where they came from. That was like 15 years ago, I’m not sure if they still do it, but I doubt it. And I agree, it’s soo sad what a scary world it’s become. No more Girl Scouts or wrapping paper sales kids coming door to door…

7. I love your costume! …..I live in a small enough town that I can make homemade treats for the kiddos that come- if only I had the time. YIKES!

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Wow, sounds like a fun party! And your costume was pretty good for not having a plan in mind – well done! I’m dressing up as… uh… a ballerina this year… because I have ballet class tonight. 🙂 So Mr. JCD will be handing out the Play Doh for me. We have some homemade treats for the neighbour kids and any of my little cousins that stop by. 🙂

I really wanted to wear a ballet tutu on my morning run today but at 5 AM I completely forgot and ran in normal clothes. *sigh* Maybe next year.

9. That is such a cute costume and sooo creative 🙂

10. Megan says:

Cute costume! Sometimes the best ideas are the last minute ones. I never thought of Play-doh, I would’ve loved that as a kid. Heck, I still like Play-doh! Except now I use the grown up version (fondant). It is sad that we can’t hand out homemade treats. It is also sad that some people would even want to harm children giving reason to not accept homemade items. My sister and her friends always have the best costume parties! They dress as the name of different rock climbing routes and it is very amusing!

11. It would be fun to be able to make treats to hand out – they’d be healthier and taste better! I love the idea of handing out PlayDoh though. Kids get enough candy from the other houses! I couldn’t find those so I’m handing out mini granola bars and little packs of teddy grahams at work.

12. Natasha says:

Cute!!! How goes the new digs?! Hope your doing great…and do you have the the pooch at your house yet?
    Hey – your hair looks gorge!!!!!!! Did you get some highlights thrown in?
    Happy ‘Hallowed-ween”….!!!

1. Nope, it’s just the light!
      And Batman is… well, he needs to get potty trained faster :-?. Yikes.

13. Dalai Lina says:

Looks like you have some extra hair to spare a mom. Forget Love of Love and send some to me! Gorgeous!

14. I love your costume, how fun! It looks so bright and sunny where you are. Definitely not like that here today… snowy and cold for the kids tonight!

15. At first I thought your costume was an MTV Teen Mom before I started reading. lol. Don’t ask me why! 😛 Happy Halloween!

16. Kit-Kat says:

Cute costume! :~)

17. Yum!! Both desserts sound fab! Great costume! Haha 🙂

18. You honestly look super cute!
    I love the idea of your friends who went as each other – briliant idea! 😀

19. Cute costume! I have things like that in my closet and wonder “Why???:

20. you look so adorable, Katie! I went out with my girlfriend on Saturday. I was Audrey Hepburn & she was Marilyn Monroe! So fun 🙂 There are pictures in my new post if you want to see.

I STILL have to make your peanut butter cookies!! I keep forgetting, and now I have all the ingredients so no excuse 😛