On Saturday morning, I clicked the Foodbuzz twitter profile, fully expecting to see someone else as the winner of the “best baking blog” award. I never thought I’d see this: Best baking and pastry blog: @ChocCoveredKt
My heart is filled with so much gratitude right now, towards everyone who took time out of their busy lives to vote for me. Because of you, I am the happiest girl on the face of the earth, and I can’t even find the right words to express just how grateful I am to you all.
Note: You can also find a much larger healthy chocolate cake recipe–with secretly healthy chocolate fudge frosting–in The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook.
So instead, I baked you a cake.
I could tell you that I slaved in front of a hot oven all day to make said cake. But the reality is this chocolate mug cake only took one minute to make.
If you tried to sum up my blog in a dessert, this cake in a mug would be it: healthy–while still tasting ridiculously delicious, vegan (with a gluten-free option), and chocolate.
Of course, chocolate.
It wouldn’t be my blog without chocolate.
One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar or evaporated cane juice (edit: xylitol works as well)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch uncut stevia OR 1 more tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil (Many commenters have said it still tastes good if you sub applesauce or mashed banana. I can't personally vouch for that substitution.)
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Mug cake recipe: Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. Either microwave 30-40 seconds OR cook in a 350F oven for about 14 minutes. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for it to cool before trying to remove it).
*If desired, top with my favorite Secretly Healthy Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Edit: Due to popular demand, I’m finally adding the nutrition facts for this mug cake.
- Calories: 205 with oil (or 140 without)
- Fat: 12g with oil (or 2g without)
- Carbs: 30g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
- ww points (new system): 6 (or 4 without oil)