Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles

Last night, I made babies.

fudge baby

Lots of babies.

Lots and lots of yummy babies.

fudge balls

Lots and lots of these: Chocolate Peanut Butter Babies.

Initially, the chocolate balls were to be a Christmas present for a friend on a gluten-free diet. But then I got on a baby-making roll; now all my friends are getting chocolate peanut butter babies for Christmas!

fudge balls

Wah wah wah.

To add color and variety, I also made a few batches of these:

samoas submit

Nut-free: Girl-Scout Cookie Truffles.

If you’re looking for a last-minute gift idea, these truffles are awesome: they ship well, and they’re a cinch to make!

Question of the Day:

What gifts are you giving your friends this year?

Do you have your holiday shopping done? Last week, my roommate and I went to the mall in an attempt to find Christmas presents for all our friends. But every store seemed to be selling the exact same things. How many bottles of hand sanitizer or body lotion does a person need?

So I gave up and decided to make gifts this year. (My roommate also gave up at the mall, opting to do her shopping online. Amazon.com is dangerous; you could spend a fortune on there!)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Truffles are so popular this time of year and I’ve never made any before. I finally got all my shopping done, just haven’t started wrapping yet. But I love to wrap, so that’ll be fun some evening. We have a wonderful local chocolate shop so some friends are getting chocolate. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with that! 😉

2. Mmm truffles are all over my Google Reader today. Can’t go wrong with chocolate and pb!

3. Now that most of my friends and I have kidlets, we just buy gifts for them. Instead, we do a girls xmas dinner! 😉

4. Kimberly says:

Those look delicious! Anything Girl Scout cookie is bound to be amazing 🙂

I made honey roasted peanut butter (and an almond butter variety that was a fail — I still have it and it needs some work, any suggestions??? I added a little vanilla and cinnamon, and I did not toast them– I think that us where I failed.) and my hubby’s cousin made home-made ruhbarb & apple jam- so I gave PB&J for Christmas in little mason jars 🙂

1. Hmmm… I’ve never actually made almond butter from scratch, so I can’t really offer any suggestions :-?. Just keep playing around with it, adding more ingredients and tasting as you go along! 🙂

5. I love your photography ideas, the dishes always look so colourful, imaginative and totally come to life!

Truffle balls make such a great gift, I just posted some vegan Lindt-imitation truffles last Friday. My mouth is still watering over them. Yum!

6. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

So cool- i just came to check CCK in the middle of our baking homemade gifts marathon. Right now we are making chocolate peppermint sandwich cookies. Sinful. and later some chocolate bark. Totally your chocolate heaven 🙂 Have a great day!

7. I believe I’ll be making THESE as a gift. I also have chocolate peppermint ones to make too! DELICIOUS!

8. Megan says:

‘Tis the time for truffles! I made some the other day on a whim. There was a recipe on the side of my chocolate mint Silk soy milk and I thought- why not? They would definitely meet your chocolate standards. Chocolate mint silk, peppermint extract, lots of bittersweet chocolate, and a touch of earth balance. They are a beautifully rich, deep chocolate. I bet they would be good as a peanut butter version too (sans mint)!

9. katia says:

on my ‘to make’ list are Larabars and these babies 😀 can’t wait til i have an excuse to make them. I’m getting my best friend Powdered peanutbutter, and powdered chocolate peanutbutter. She loves peanutbutter, but can’t enjoy it thinking of the calorie-loaded spoonfuls. These have much less than half the calories and fat 😀 perfect!

10. Lisa Broadley says:

Yes Amazon.com is VERY dangerous…especially since I just found out that they’ll also ship to Canada (they weren’t before, I believe). Like other people, I’m making little treats to go along with the gifts.

11. Nicole K. says:

I make all of my Christmas gifts – I’m not a big fan of shopping for gifts. So, this year I made my mother some hot chocolate mixes and Bailey Irish Creme filled chocolates. My father is getting a homemade dessert coupon book (he is ALWAYS asking me to make him little treats, so I figured coupons would be a perfect fit!) And, last but not least, my brother is getting a gluten free beer making guide (he’s started brewing his own beer and wants to make some that I can have!)

12. saskia says:

oooh:))) i really need a blender that can make these happen..!!

i also mostly give food..i’m gonna bake a whole lot of these protein-choc.chip cookies right now: http://girlinasong.wordpress.com/

additionally, i’ll give some “treats in a jar”..means muffins, cookies etc. in jars..(just the dry ingredients..looks so cute and is yummilicious!!:)

xoxo,
    s.

13. I think I am going to have to make a batch of EVERYTHING. Just got a bag of dates!

14. Yum! All my friends are getting treats for gifts this year 🙂

15. Rebecka says:

Oh Katie… You sure know how to make a girl drool 😉
    I’m sitting here with my mind-melting 35-page essay trying to legitimize spending the evening devouring those peanut babies by the hundreds. Luckily (for my grades, that is) I don’t have any dates around. Or rasins, or other dried fruit aside figs, and i’ve already had too many of those today… So ms. sweet tooth will have to rest until tomorrow..
    And to answer your question: none. I’m not celebrating christmas with presents this year, the whole consumerism thing just makes me nauseous. I might hand out a few books i already own and enjoyed reading, but aside from that I’m trying to step back from the whole buy-toss-buy-toss way of life..

1. That’s really awesome, Rebecka… and it’s so true that people (me included) tend to go crazy with gifts. My family has scaled way back these past few years, especially with the frivolous stuff. Still, I know there’s room for improvement with how much I buy. People like you–and your self-restraint–really are inspiring to me.

P.S. A 35-page essay pretty much sounds like the worst thing in the world! Hope you’re taking lots of chocolate study breaks! 😉

16. I love making gifts! I’m making cookies in a jar for people, so they can take them home and bake their own cookies!

17. Ellen says:

I have made gingerbread so far for a friend, and plan on making one of my family’s traditional cookies-an Italian Sprinkle Cookie, today. Funny that it is a family tradition-we are not in the least Italian!

18. Lucy says:

The only problem is not eating the gifts :)|

19. Justin says:

Last year I was shopping at the mall with a friend at Christmas eve. This year I did all my shopping on amazon. 🙂