Breakfast Ideas for New Year’s Day

Yawn!

This year, one of my good friends is throwing a New Year’s Eve party that doesn’t even start until 10:30. So I doubt any of us will get to bed until at least 3… and most people will probably sleep right through breakfast the next day.

No matter how late you’re up partying, here are five reasons to drag yourself out of bed for a New Year’s breakfast:

cinnamon-roll-pie_thumb_3

Cinnamon Roll Pie

This pie is a good choice for two reasons. First: it secretly contains beans, which are symbolic of money and prosperity for the new year. Second: round foods are considered “lucky” at New Year’s because they represent coming full-circle and a fortunate cycle for the next year.

polka-dot-banana-bread_thumb

Chocolate-Chip Banana Bread

Nothing relevant came up when I typed “chocolate for a lucky new year” into the google search bar. Eh, what does google know? Chocolate is always lucky. The more chocolate you have, the luckier you are. Always.

peach-breakfast-bake

Pear-Vanilla Breakfast Cobbler

Pears represent prosperity and immortality due to the long lifespan of the pear trees. This cobbler, however, does not last very long. At least not in my house!

apple-bar

Hot Apple Crumble Bars

Apples are a symbol of pleasure, love, and fertility. When cut across the middle, the center has a five-pointed star, which represents a life in balance for the coming year.

And last, but not least…

vegan-spice-cake

Mini Eggnog Spice Cake

Many cultures share the tradition of hiding trinkets inside a cake on New Year’s, where the person who finds the trinket will have the best luck in the coming year. This yummy little cake is healthy enough to eat for breakfast—well, unless you accidentally eat a hidden trinket.

Then maybe it’s not so healthy…

Question of the Day:

What are your plans for New Year’s Eve?

I might make a dessert for the party, but I probably won’t since it starts so late. My other New Year’s Eve plans include a Scrabble marathon with my roommate until it’s time to leave.

1. This looks like quite the yummy way to ring in the new year!
    The husband and I are meeting up with some friends for dinner and then heading home to ring in the 2012 together!

2. No New Years plans yet. Maybe I’m getting too old to live it up? I think last year I crashed before midnight. 🙂 Might stop over to visit the family earlier in the day though. They usually have some fun games going on and yummy food cooking.

3. tea-bagginit says:

i’m such a lame-o when it comes to new year’s! i’m an early riser and so staying up till midnight sounds awful – plus i love to get in early morning runs and you can’t do that hungover! my plans are movies in my pjs with the bf! 🙂

4. I would probably fall asleep and not even make it to a party that started that late! We’re just going to a friend’s house who have newborn twins and a 4 year old for a low-key night since they can’t really do anything crazy. I always have grand ambitions for New Year’s but it always ends up low key/lame, however you want to look at it 😉

5. I never make new years plans until the day before or day of, I don’t like binding myself into anything too early lol. But will probably be going to some bars downtown and just hanging out with friends in general. Love your reasonings for all the breakfast ideas!

6. Sabrina says:

I am going to a hockey game on NYE, then plopping myself on the couch with my friends to watch the ball drop. No craziness this year.

7. Sarah the offical CCK drooler says:

we are going to have a ” bring in the new year” party. No alcohol. Yup. we don’t drink. I feel bad for people driving the next day though… all those drunk people, ugh! Way off topic- but if you are drinking that night don’t go driving the next day, plz. anyway, can’t wait to see the ball drop. 3, 2, 1… it’s the last year on earth LOL. Have a great day 🙂

8. I will take the mini eggnog spice cake! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

9. I absolutely love how you incorportated what each food brings for a “lucky new year” – such a great idea.
    No plans yet for new years…I typically don’t even make it until 12pm – lame I know. Have a great time playing scrabble with your roommate and Happy New Year!

10. Jacqueline says:

These breakfast ideas look DELICIOUS! And I love the creative ties to the new year…even more reason to enjoy them!

11. Aja says:

Looks yummy! I have no plans for new year’s eve right now. Probably sleeping at some point.

12. So interesting, I had read an article just yesterday on lucky foods for the NY – I love the idea of full circle and the five-pointed star inside an apple.

NY Eve plans – I generally dislike NY Eve, I promise I’m not a Grinch, I just find there’s too much pressure around it! And everything costs so much! If a friend is throwing a party that is the best time, and then I’ll go out – but a lot of my friends are out of town this NY Eve so instead we’re doing a family dinner at a super nice restaurant where we can see the NY in.

13. Ashley says:

Those all look fantastic! I’ve been meaning to try out that Eggnog spice cake and Cinnamon roll pie! Maybe in the new year, ill get too it!
    For new years I think I’m just going to go out with some friends. Maybe grab a bite to eat and go bowling? Not sure yet!

14. Look at you Katie, you’ve done it again. I mean eggnog cake?! How can I NOT partake in that deliciousness?

15. Elisabetta says:

A friend of mine invited me and other friends at her home, and everybody will bring there something to eat. I’ll prepare a savory cake (I’m still looking for the right recipe) and a deep and gooey chocolate cake I’m sure my friends will love! Hopefully … 🙂
    Chocolate chip banana bread will be perfect for my first 2012 breakfast!

16. David says:

The spice cake and cinnamon roll links are not working. Thanks for all of the great posts this year Katie — you’ve revolutionized my desserts!

1. Thanks so so much for letting me know! I fixed them :).

17. Sarah says:

With an 8 month old who wakes every hour or two throughout the night and a 2 year old who starts the day at 5.30am there’s no way I’ll voluntarily stay up until midnight! New years has been a non event for the last few years, maybe next time we’ll send the boys to their grandparents and do something 🙂

18. Leigh says:

Chocolate-chip banana bread sounds perfect for breakfast! 🙂
    Still been meaning to try the cinnamon roll deep dish!! Thanks for posting!

This year, looks like New Years will be quiet. I was hoping to get away and watch fireworks at the Space Needle, far far away from the crowds. Have a great new years eve!

19. mmmmm breakfast is my favourite reason to get up 😀 I always make it taste like a treat.

Dallas and I were invited to a friend’s house for New Year’s, and I am definitely bringing treats (and champagne, and brandy, haha)! Enjoy your New Year’s, Katie! 😀

20. Anonymous says:

goshhhh i wanna make it alL!