Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Chocolate Frosting Shots.

EDIT:

If you received an email from Pinterest saying I didn’t want recipes pinned, this is NOT true! I’m so sorry for this and have no idea why they would send out such a message!

As is obvious from the fact I have a Chocolate Covered Pinterest Board, I love and appreciate when people pin my recipes. Please accept my apologies and by all means keep pinning whatever you want… I’m honored when people pin my recipes!

Easy 3 ingredient chocolate frosting shots - from @choccoveredkt... recipe has been repinned over 1 MILLION times, and for good reason! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

Tequila shots??? Who needs ’em?!

Maybe you’ve heard of the popular bakery, Sprinkles? At this bakery, they sell something known as a frosting shot. It’s genius… How many times have you eaten a cupcake, only to say, “Gosh I wish this cupcake had less cake and more chocolate frosting”? Enter the frosting shot: a small glass filled to the brim (and beyond!) with—you guessed it—chocolate frosting.

Yesterday, I made my own chocolate frosting shots:

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Thick chocolate frosting shots…

You can try this on chocolate cupcakes or even the famous Black Bean Brownies.

Or skip the cupcake, like I did, and simply serve yourself a big glass of unadulterated chocolate bliss. Cupcakes? With all these chocolate frosting shots around, they’d just get in the way! On a related note, I’ve been surprised how many people have been asking the same question on my blog: Is chocolate vegan? Oh goodness, yes. Chocolate most definitely is vegan. If you learn just one thing from reading my blog, let it be that!

CHOCOLATE FROSTING SHOTS - Repinned more than 800,000 times! Ingredients: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup... Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

In the months since I first made this recipe, vegans and non-vegans, health-food-eaters and people who are used to “normal” desserts, have all gone completely crazy for this easy-to-make, smooth and rich chocolate frosting – It is highly recommended!!!

pin-it

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Print This Recipe 4.92/5
4.92/512

Ingredients

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice to taste (Use stevia or powdered sugar for thickest results.)
Total Time: 5m

Instructions

Healthy frosting recipe: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening. It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe. Or if you want a no-fail option, buy coconut cream instead, at Trader Joes or an Asian market.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the watery part out. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. For the photos on this page, I didn’t use beaters. But I did pipe the chocolate frosting shots out using an icing tip. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

Nutrition facts for this recipe are available in The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook

Link Of The Day:

unbaked brownies

The Ultimate Unbaked Brownies

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Kirsten says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? These….look amazing. I just started using coconut whipped cream, I wrote a post about cleaning up whipped topping (yuck) and using natural alternatives. These look simply amazing and thank you so much for all you do!!! I’m not big on the dessert front so I have been telling everyone about your recipes! Thank you!

2. this is a must make recipe! thanks for another winner

3. Xina says:

Looking forward to trying this.

Any chance you might make it easier to print your recipes out? That would be helpful.

Also, I would love a recipe for healthy ice cream. Hint hint. 🙂

1. It’s on my to-do list! Right now, my BIG concern is trying to fix my site… people are telling me they keep getting error messages on posts that DO exist. So unfortunately, that’s taking up the bulk of my time right now. But hopefully I can figure that out soon so I can move on to more fun things… like installing a “print” widget .

4. Rebecca says:

Looks luscious! I only have low-fat coconut milk in the house. Will that work or does it have to be full fat?

1. I think it has to be full-fat.

5. Jenny@HealthyMOChick says:

The only thing I have to say is that you are an angel sent to the chocoholics! 🙂

6. Gabby says:

Haha I get that all the time! People will hear me talk about some chocolate thing I made and go “wait! you eat CHOCOLATE?? is that vegan??”

And then there’s my aunt who asks EVERY SINGLE TIME I see her, “But…you don’t eat pasta do you? Or bread?” (Umm yes I do…last time I checked most pasta and bread doesn’t have milk and eggs in it…)

1. LOL! That’s my grandma, too! She was all worried, and said, “Can you still eat carbs?”

I was like, “No worries, Grandma… a vegan diet is pretty much ALL carbs!” 😉

1. Charlene says:

Just wanted to let you know that many brands of dark chocolate are NOT vegan. (Obviously, milk chocolate is not vegan.) But also, cheaper dark chocolate often contains milk products. Check the ingredients list of the chocolate you buy to be sure it’s vegan, if that is a concern. For example, Dove dark chocolate contains milk fat, but Endangered Species dark chocolate is vegan.

7. Melissa says:

That looks like heaven! I’d much rather have a shot of frosting than anything else!!! I’m a frosting girl all the way. Really, the cake is just an excuse to get some frosting into me! 😉

8. Rande @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen says:

Frosting. Always.

9. Anonymous says:

That looks amazing. I can’t wait to make that. Do you know how much this yields?

1. Maybe a little over a cup? I didn’t actually measure it.

10. truthfully can’t say I’ve ever been bummed out by a cupcake underneath frosting, but these look delicious! 😉

11. Mariel says:

woahh! this thickens up so well!

1. Anonymous says:

How did you get it to thicken? What brand coconut milk did you use? I’ve tried this twice using different kinds of milk but both have ended up runny.

1. Liz says:

Check the ingredients on your coconut milk – some of the imported ones have additional ingredients (other than coconut, water and guar gum – which is in all of them) to keep the fat from solidifying. Also, if it’s hot in your kitchen (or store) the fat will melt into the liquid and you won’t get that solid mass on top that you need for this to work. Thai Kitchen just has 3 ingredients and is great for making thick whipped goodness. So is this brand that comes in a green can and has a name like nature or forest or rain forest or something. oh, and make sure you’re not using coconut cream – that’s also liquidy and runny – and has added sugar!

Hope this helps!

1. Stephanie says:

I buy a Thai brand (not sure of the name offhand) that is just coconut and water. I’ve seen more than one brand without guar gum.

12. bitt says:

Mmm I personally love the balance of cake to frosting, but yours seems so mousse-like that I think I’d like it. Some frostings are so sickeningly sweet they give me a headache.

I would argue that most chocolate that is dark is vegan, provided there was no slave labor involved. If so, a human suffered which is certainly not vegan (humans are animals too!). So,I would argue fair-trade chocolate is vegan. I know some vegans who won’t eat any chocolate for fear it may have been made by slave labor.

1. To be honest, I didn’t know much about slave-labor chocolate until just a few months ago. It’s so hard to keep up with everything… there’s so much exploitation in this world. I just learned, for example, that Hersheys uses slave labor for their chocolate. Someone just told me this yesterday, so I haven’t even had a chance to look into it.

I completely agree with you. Humans are animals too, and we need to try to extend our compassion towards ALL creatures’ well-being. (I’m really glad you brought the Bob’s thing to my attention a few months ago, too.)

13. Can I pay you to come be my personal dessert chef? These look Amazing!!

14. Those shots are gorgeous! The thought of shots makes me cringe (ever since bday #21 ;)), but these are ones I could definitely handle!

15. Sindy says:

Next time I go to the store I’ll totally buy some coconut milk. The only thing is where I live coconut milk is sold in little glass bottles so I’m not sure if it will work for me, maybe if I put it in a glass and let in the fridge it may get thick.
    Also, could someone tell me how much coconut milk usally cames in a can? This way I can buy the correct amount for the recipe.
    Thanks in advance.

16. katia says:

I like the cake part, i usually go around the frosting because it’s much too sugary and buttery D: (ew) but this might just might change my mind, since I won’t feel like I’m eating straight sugar and butter! This is a must-try!

17. Caroline says:

Hey Katie, love the blog! I was wondering of the fat content of the coconut milk mattered? Like could I use fat free? Thanks!

1. No, you need to use full-fat canned.

1. Yes I’ve tried leaving a Reduced Fat can uncovered in the fridge and it remains watery

1. anonymous says:

omg. how many times does this question have to be answered? read the comment section and stop wasting my time by repeating it every 10 comments. why are you so damn lazy?

1. Joyce says:

WOW! This particular “Anonymous” seems to have some truly serious anger management issues. Perhaps you should just not read any comments on anyone’s site; this isn’t your personal site, it has nothing whatsoever to do with you, and you’re the only one “wasting” your time if that’s how angry you get at the rest of us.

18. Taylor says:

I was a little skeptical on whether or not the coconut milk would turn into a whipped mouse, but sure enough when I opened my can half of it was already thick! SO EXCITED! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FINISHED PRODUCT! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :))))

I also dipped my strawberries and blackberries and that was the greatest combination in the world. Yum!

1. CoUrTnEy says:

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! GREAT IDEA WITH THE FRUIT DIP!! ~YUM~

2. tammy says:

Perfect!! I have my can opened in the fridge and I just bought two containers of strawberries. I know what my lunch tomorrow will be! LOL 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

Can you tell me what brand you used?

19. Albizia says:

The answer depends on the quality of both the cupcake (or cake in general) and the frosting. But in the case of coconut milk based frosting, I would gladly eat the frosting without any hint of cake.

20. Katie says:

This sounds wonderful! Just curious how much this recipe makes – wasn’t sure if the whipping adds volume. Do you think leftovers (if there are any of course) would store ok in the fridge for a few days? Thanks:)

1. Yes, you can definitely store leftovers uncovered in the fridge for a few days. Mine is in there now :).

It makes maybe a little over a cup? Maybe a cup and a 1/2?