Whipped Cream Cereal

Sleep? What’s that?

Please forgive me if this post makes no sense. I went out dancing with a few friends last night, and we didn’t get home until after two in the morning. But, of course, my body decides it’s a great idea to wake up at 6. So here I am, full of energy… and I have no idea where it’s coming from.

Maybe it’s coming from breakfast this morning:

whipped cream

Pouring this cream over cereal is so much better than milk!

It makes the bowl incredibly thick and creamy… I could eat a million of these bowls and still love them. (Side note: I usually add way more fruit and cereal than is shown in the photo.)

Those are Whole Foods’ bran flakes in the picture, but I often use uncooked quick oats instead. And I also like to add things like cacao nibs or sliced almonds. As for the cream, I posted the recipe awhile back, but I’ll re-post it below to save you the trouble of clicking links:

Whipped Cream Bowl

(Serves 1-2)

This is a Soy-Free Recipe.

• sweetener of choice
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 T water (20g)
  • 1/2 serving agar base (see below)
  • 3 drops coconut extract (Optional, but highly recommended)
  • optional: cocoa or fruit (for flavored cream)

First, make the agar base (see instructions: here). When it’s cooled, put half of it in a blender (I use a Magic Bullet) with all the other ingredients, and blend away. Whip very well, so it’s completely smooth. I like to put it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to eating, so it’s super-cold, but it’s not necessary. Optional: add fruit, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, or other add-ins.

See the original post for the Calories and Nutrition Info.

As stated above, I love to pour this cream over fruit and cereal or quick oats. You could also sprinkle granola, or even a crumbled energy bar, on top. Speaking of which…

z bars

I updated the following page: New Product Alerts.

Question of the Day:

Do you get enough sleep?

I’m pretty consistent and normally get around 7 hours. In high school, I had the worst time falling asleep—it would take me up to an hour! Thankfully, I grew out of that and can fall asleep pretty quickly now. The only problem is my body doesn’t seem to understand it’s ok to not wake up at six on those rare nights I go to bed at three!

But for some reason, I feel like I have more energy on the days I’m sleep-deprived.

Weird…

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Audrey says:

Does the Luna bar have honey in it?

Oh, and I’m wondering about the bran flakes (not to be a food police, but for my own knowledge so I know whether to buy them or not!), does the Whole Foods brand have vitamin D3 in it? I find a lot of fortified cereals do, and that makes them not vegan. I’m just wondering because I’ve been trying to find a good brand of bran flakes. Thanks! 😀

1. Nope! No d3 in the bran flakes. They’re completely vegan :). But yes, the luna does have honey.

1. Audrey says:

Good to know! Thanks. 😀

2. i usually get 8-9 hours. i need a ton of sleep.. i slept 12 hours last night!! i am a freak haha

3. I’m so excited b/c I just bought some agar at the store but didn’t know what to do with it so I’m definitely going to try this!

Oh, and I get about 6-7 hours of sleep depending on the day… I think I feel most rested when I get 8 hours though, so i definitely rely on coffee unfortunately.

4. How cool! This looks so great:)

5. Haha! My body is the same way as yours. No matter what time I go to sleep, I still wake up early! Except for today cuz I went out with friends and didn’t get home until 5am so I ended up getting up at 10… but that took a lot of effort… So you make the whipped cream using water and agar? Have you ever tried making it using almond milk?

1. The agar base is milk-based :).

6. Cammy says:

I am pretty much physically incapable of sleeping past 6:45 in the morning, no matter how late I was up the night before, so I never set an alarm. If I’m running on a natural cycle, I tend to sleep from about 11:30-5:45 or 6. It’s nice that I don’t need a ton of sleep, but it is definitely skewed towards morning-time–I have a hard time when I have to be in night owl mode, because for some reason I can’t sleep late to make up the hours.

Thanks for the product updates, I’ll have to watch out for those! I do a lot of outdoorsy work in the tropics, and I seriously think Clif should underwrite me in exchange for all the times I’ve taken a small suitcase of their products to Third World countries with me. 😉

7. JEnny says:

Nope not tonight, my boyfriend and I was out for dinner and cocktail, so I know how you feel.

Love Jenny

8. Ann-Marie says:

Hi,
    I tried the whipped cream recipe, but for some reason it came out watery. It didn’t look thick like yours. When I blended it using the magic bullet, it just looked like watery almond milk. Am I missing something? *scratches head*
    Thanks
    Ann-Marie

1. Anonymous says:

This might seem like a silly question, so forgive me, but did you make sure to cook the agar base and let it cool? I just know if I head read the recipe fast I might have just put the agar and milk into the blender and not read that you have to cook it to make the base first…

1. That was actually what I was going to ask as well! :)
        Did you click on the linked “agar base”? “Agar base” is an actual recipe, not just agar flakes.

1. Ann-Marie says:

Hehehe. I actually used gelatin and let the mixture cool and then blended it. Maybe it was because I used gelatin or because I needed to cool it for longer than 3-4 hours…?

9. This looks so good! Agar’s really readily available around here, so I’ll probably give this recipe a try some time soon. Normally I get 6-7 hours of sleep, but I run fine on that amount even though I should probably get more; I take intermittent naps throughout the day (between classes, on the way home etc) so my energy’s pretty fine.

10. I’m very much the same way—it doesn’t matter if I go to bed at 11 or 4—even on weekends I’m up by 8.

11. Nicole K. says:

Lately my sleep schedule has gone hay-wire. So I get anywhere from 3 to 9 hours of sleep. For the past couple of days I’ve woken up at 3am and have gotten up close to 5am because I can’t fall asleep. I hope I get back to a normal pattern soon! Although I do love how much I get done on those early mornings :)

12. Sylvia says:

I am so sleep deprived it hurts. I’ve got a 4 month old and a 3 year old so that’s why, at least its for a good reason. Love your blog sweetie!!

1. Em says:

Yup, same here! I used to think I got no sleep when I was in college. But once you have a baby, you REALLY get no sleep. But it’s worth it ;).

13. I used to have trouble falling asleep, but now I sleep less so I’m more tired by the time I get to bed and I pretty much conk out as soon as my head hits the pillow. That’s so amazing how after 4 hours of sleep, you feel energetic! I’m so jealous. If I get anything less than 6, I might as well be a zombie. I love your new product alerts page! Unfortunately my grocery store carries a limited variety of Luna Bars (no chocolate raspberry, no chocolate chunk, no coconut chocolate, definitely not this new one!) but next time I go to whole foods I’m going to buy them out!

14. I need around 8-9 hours of sleep! It is difficult to get much done when I have to sleep that much but I make it work :-)

Dancing sounds like it was a success! And this breakfast…no wonder you wanted to get out of bed so early!

15. okay that looks totally delicious! I need to find some agar somewhere!

16. Aja says:

That sounds really interesting. I get about 8 hours but I always seem to feel more awake when I get less.

17. This looks really good! I’ve still never tried playing with agar, but will have to pick it up and make some of this! Lately I’ve been a smoothie person for breakfast, but today is definitely a cereal/oatmeal day. Just haven’t decided which yet 😀

I go through phases with my sleeping. For the most part, I struggle with insomnia, but I forced myself to get up early this morning. I get so much more done when I don’t sleep in ’til 11! haha. Hope you had fun last night! :)

18. caroline says:

argh, i completley know how you feel. i went to bed around 11 last night then woke up at 2, and just woke up every hour after that, until 5 where i just completely woke up. but luckily for you, you have a bowl of cereal and cream to cheer you up!

19. Michele says:

Okay, question: How much sweetener is ‘sweetener of choice?’ A tablespoon of sugar? Two? Three? 😉 I’m just curious where to begin. When I make your ice cream recipe, I make the whole thing with maybe two teaspoons of sugar, so I’m not really a ‘sweets’ person either.

1. CCK says:

I use 1/2 a stevia packet (which would be about a tsp sugar), but it definitely depends on your tastebuds and also what milk you use (sweetened or unsweetened).

For most people, I’d say to start with 1 tablespoon of sugar, but if you only use 2 tsp for the whole ice cream recipe you might be too much of a no-sweets person for that lol.