Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Television Debut

chocolate covered katie cookie pie

Woke up really early Friday.

I couldn’t sleep; I was too eager for the television feature.

(If I’ve been talking about it way too much, please forgive me! I’m just so excited!) And so I went for a run in the dark (in shorts, because it was an insanely-warm 63 degrees. Last year at this time, we were under almost a foot of snow and ice!).

apple-pie-pancakes

Post-run breakfast was amazing: Apple Pie Pancakes.

These pancakes really do taste like you’re eating an actual slice of apple pie! I usually make pancakes up in bulk and freeze leftovers so I don’t have to cook when I’m in a rush. And Friday I was definitely in a rush, needing to shower, change, and drive to my parents’ house where the news crew would be filming. (The kitchen in my condo is tiny, so I decided it’d be better to film in their kitchen.)

chocolate covered katie cookie pie

I listened to everyone’s suggestions to keep it simple, stay away from white and red, and wear something that reflects the upbeat tone of my blog (hence the frilly Anthropologie apron).

Deciding what to make on tv was a no-brainer:

vegan-cookie-cake_3

………………………………….Chocolate-Chip Cookie Cake

The entire filming process took less than an hour, and Shelly Slater (the news reporter) was so incredibly nice. I completely forgot to feel nervous… although now I’m apprehensive, waiting for the feature to air!

If you’re in the area surrounding Dallas/Ft. Worth, or even Oklahoma, you can see the story on Channel 8’s 5 o’clock news tonight. (I’m nervous telling you all this, because I haven’t seen it yet. I really hope I don’t look ridiculous on live tv!)

Question of the Day:

If you had the chance to cook on tv, what ONE dish would you make?

I thought about making my Hot Chocolate Fudge Bites.

But somehow, a cookie pie seems much more fancy-schmancy. Maybe I’ll make hot chocolate fudge bites when I have my own television show ;).

Dream…

1. I think the chocolate-chip cookie cake was the perfect recipe to choose for the TV segment! I’ve made it twice now and it’s gotten rave reviews both times :) I don’t live in your area but I hope the segment will be online because I’d love to watch it!

2. Bri says:

Congratulations-this is an awesome experience for you! I really wish the rest of us could see it too somehow! Your outfit choice is great, you look perfect!

3. Jo says:

Woah Katie, has anyone ever told you how incredibly GORGEOUS you are?

1. Jo says:

Oh and I love the apron too! Anthropologie has the best stuff! :)

4. Renee H says:

What is the station? Sometimes you can watch newscasts online. Those of us who don’t live in Dallas would love to see your debut! (By the way, you definitely could have your own cooking show.)

5. Kate says:

congratulations thats so amazing youll have to post a link once it airs im sure you will be amazing!!

6. Kayla says:

What channel will it be on tonight? I’d love to watch since I live here in Dallas and tried that recipe last week for dinner. Delish!

1. channel 8! I’m so nervous!!

7. Ahh can’t wait to see your debut :)

8. Rachel says:

Awww Congrats! Love the apron & choice of baking. I would SO watch your TV show if you had one. I’ve been vegan for almost a year, and bake from your recipes all the time – my family loves everything! Thank you :)

9. I’m so glad it went well, you look adorable! I’d probably make something Mexican – my favorite go-to meal.

10. Christine says:

Ack! So excited! Made the Apple Pie pancakes this morning and they were so good! I have my DVR set to record, in case I am busy. Can’t wait to see your debut!

11. That’s such a cool opportunity! Congrats to you!

If I had to choose one thing to cook on TV… maybe my chocolate zucchini muffins. They have a vegan and GF option and who doesn’t like chocolate?! 😉

12. Anne says:

wonderful!!! how exciting and amazing to be featured!! I love reading your blog and trying your ideas :)

13. clare @ fittingitallin says:

Oh I wish I had known so I could have set the DVR! Maybe I’ll be home in time to watch. I’m sure it’ll be great!

14. Sarahishealthy says:

Good luck!!! You look beautiful!

I would definitely watch a CCK cooking show. Food Network, take note! 😉

15. Love the apron! Wish I was in the area, maybe it could be found online to view it?

16. Jennifer says:

YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR OWN TELEVISION SHOW.

17. Jordan says:

I am sure you did so great! LOVE your apron!

18. Congrats, Katie!! It’s awesome to see someone spreading the joy of veganism out there :) That cake is awesome and everyone loves it everytime I make it!!

19. That’s so awesome! I love your apron…so at least you can know you looked cute! :-)

I am nervous for you…or maybe just nervous thinking what it would be like to be filmed for television. You should find out if there is a link online we can watch!

20. This is so awesome Katie. Good choice for the shirt and apron too.

I wish I was down in TX so I could watch. I’m sure you were great.

Congratulations!

21. ohh I hope it airs online, I’d love to see it!

22. Brenda says:

I am sure that you did amazing! Congratulations!

23. That’s so exciting! Congrats! And oh gosh, I would not want to cook on TV! I still think someone is going to write on my blog that I’m a fake and my recipes are awful! If I had to choose, I’d stick with oatmeal since I know I wouldn’t mess it up!

24. MrsOgg says:

Congratulations! You deserve this and I’m sure we will be seeing a lot more of you on tv in the future. I personally think you would be a perfect guest on the Dr Oz show….too bad I don’t have any pull. I LOVE the apron by the way and I hope you post a link so we can watch the show here in PA. BTW I just made the chocolate fudge pie AGAIN and it was soooo good! My hubby took one bite and said “This is the most delicious thing I’ve ever tasted!” That means a lot since he’s not one to gush. Thanks again for sharing your great ideas….will be trying the cookie cake soon!

1. That really means a lot to me!

25. Mary says:

Will you please record it and post it for us? I know we’d all love to watch!

26. I know you will be great! :)

I looked up the Dallas Fort-Worth ABC Channel and this is what I found.
    Would that be the station it would be on?

1. Emma says:

YOU DID SO WELL KATIE! congrats xx

27. Great choices, love the desserts! I’m surprised there’s not more chocolate though!
    So fun to be on t.v., congrats!!

28. That is seriously so cool! …..I bet you’ll look and do great on live TV! Just wait! It will be great!

29. You look great and major congrats to you , Katie! That is wonderful and I love that apron from Anthro! Well, I love most of everything from that store, too :)

30. michelle says:

Im so excited for you …your blog will now get a well deserved bump in traffic. Everyone will now enjoy your recipes

31. Once the feature airs, can you post it up on your blog so the rest of us can see it?!

32. sarah marie says:

oooh, let us non-TX readers know if it’s available online for viewing! I’m so happy for you; what a great opportunity! And you look beautiful, as always.

33. OMG how exciting!
    Congratulations!
    I hope you give us a link to the video.

34. congrats! that is so cool!

35. Melissa says:

Congrats! You look so cute and I’m sure you were wonderful! Will we be able to see it anywhere online???

36. I’m so excited for you!!! You look super cute, and I’m sure it was great.

37. It needs to be up on Youtube!!! I can’t watch it from Singapore :-(

38. Congrat! You look great! Please post a clip when you can, can’t wait to see it!

39. Louice says:

Someone should definitely record it so you can post it online for us non-Americans to see! Because I live in Sweden but really wanna see it 😀

40. Katie, I love your apron – great choice for the cameras! I also have a frilly one from Anthropologie: part hippy, part 1950s housewife… they’re so fun to wear and cook in!

41. Moni'sMeals says:

AWWW. Katie! So happy for you and I many of those aprons, they are the best! Hope to see it soon lovely. :)

42. I’d probably make some pasta because it’s impossible to mess up! My biggest fear would be that I would make something boil over or burn something. Great outfit choice for the segment, btw 😀

43. Taylor says:

Congrats! Any chance you are going to record it and post it for us non-texans?

44. Congrats! Cookie pie sounds delicious.

45. I love that apron!! I got a similar one at an art festival last year! Anthro is waaaaay to expensive for me LOL!

I hope the video is online! I want to see it !

46. If you had a tv show, I would watch every single episode. :) I wish I could see your tv debut!!! Will you post a video on youtube after???

Just fyi – I’ve been sharing a LOT of your cookie dough dip and everyone loves it! I’ve also been eating quite a bit of it myself…on everything. This morning, I topped my vans gf waffle with it (don’t judge) and it was a great way to start my day!

47. Kathleen says:

Katie–you looked great for the debut! I live in NC–could you post a video or clip of your TV blurb on your blog?! I would love to see it! :)

48. Lauren B. says:

Do you think you’ll be able to post a link to the segment after it airs tonight? I’d love to see it, even though I don’t live in the area!

49. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look beautiful and your apron is too cute!! So glad the taping went well and I’m just bummed I’m not in Dallas so I can’t see it! I hope you record it and put it on the blog!

50. Michaela says:

you look gorgeous in that pic!!
    I cannot wait to see you (I hope you will link to the video once it is up!) and hear your voice!
    Very good decision you made, I could not chose only one dish I think… But definitely something sweet, way more fun on tv!

51. Sherlock says:

I’m so happy for you! I think you picked the perfect apron and definitely a perfect recipe! I’ll have to YouTube search it or something because Im not in your state. Unless, the video is available on the news site? I’m looking forward to watching you make magic in the kitchen 😉
    Congratulations CCK!

52. You look adorable, love the apron! Can’t wait to see this feature, please tell me you’ll YouTube it!

Gosh, I would probably make my Better-than-Starbucks’ pumpkin cream cheese muffins as they are the most popular recipe on my blog, and I love showing people how they can healthify things they often eat out.

53. Superfood Babe says:

Hey its great your dreams are coming true you deserve it :)
    i would really appreciated it if you checked out my Blog, even just one view makes my day :)

54. Ellen says:

CONGRATS!! I’m a new reader to your blog and I’m absolutely obsessed with it!

55. Cathy says:

Katie – That is amazing! Way to go, girl!! :-)

56. Laura says:

Try to post a youtube video if you can get your hands on it! I would just love to see this!!

57. Mowenackie says:

Wow, congratulations! That is incredibly exciting! Please be sure to post a link to the video once it airs. I can’t wait to see it. Best wishes!

58. Kendra says:

Congrats on the TV segment! Anything chocolate is a great idea to make. You can’t go wrong.

59. Boo says:

Would love to see your TV debut if you can post it sometime – congratulations! I live in England, so would need your help to watch it.
    I have been following you for a few weeks now, making something from your site with my toddler two or three times a week. I have no gallbladder, so need to stay on the side of low fat and we like my little one to eat low or natural sugars. There is always something on your site! Not to mention those wonderful concoctions with beans of some kind – basically one of your five-a-day! We really love your recipes! And the cookie cake is a real winner, great choice for your TV appearance.
    We will be making those pancakes any day now!

60. Amber K says:

I would have been super nervous at the time, super nervous waiting for it to air, and nervous as I was watching myself! BUT – I think you’ll be great! I hope to see a link if it’s posted online. :)

61. Elisabetta says:

Oh, Katie, I’m so happy for you! You definitely deserve this opportunity, you’re such a nice person. I live in Italy and I can’t watch at Dallas channel so, please, could you trasmit the record on your blog? Please!!!! I’m looking forward to see you on tv!

62. Cheeze says:

Congrats!!! Thanks for all the recipes btw…my boyfriend always appreciates it as well! :) Since your blog is blowing up (rightfully so) can i put in a request for some quinoa chocolate recipes? Breakfast bars, desserts, whatever u can think of. I love quinoa and have been wanting to make bars but I have no idea how idea how to go about doing it. P.S. You looked amazing!

63. katie says:

Congrats on your tv debut love! How exciting! Love your apron too, adorable!

Your hair is so pretty and shiny, I need your tips!

Love ya!

64. Rebecca says:

If someone can upload the segment (if the station does not put it online) please share on tomorrow’s post! Would love to see!

65. Allison says:

YAY!!! I’m so happy for you and also happy that I live in Fort Worth and can watch you tonight!! You bet I’ll have my DVR set :) Can’t wait to see you on tv, beautiful girl!!

1. Aww thank you so much, Allison! You are such a sweetheart… we really should meet up sometime!

66. Jessica says:

I love your blog, Seriously, LOVE! I am a fairly new follower (maybe a few months) and I’ve been busting through your recipes like crazy AND, even though I’m not much of an oatmeal eater, I’m getting ready to embark on a few of those recipes because I know how healthy and filling oatmeal is. Anyway, congrats on the TV appearance and I agree with some of the other commenters…you could TOTALLY (and, in my opinion, WILL one day) have your own cooking show!!!!

67. Taylor says:

I LIVE IN TEXAS AND JUST RECORDED IT!!! AHHHH CAN’T WAIT!! :))))))

68. Congrats Katie! I still stand by that you should find some way to post it here :)

69. libby says:

You look great and I am with the others in hoping we get to watch it somehow!!

70. Charissa says:

I’m soooo happy for you! I bet your were fantastic! I really hope (and am requesting) that you post a clip of it on your site later! I want to see it, but won’t be able to pick it up live.

71. Congrats again! Hope you enjoyed your tv debut!

72. VegAlexandra says:

If possible, could you try to post a video of your television debut? I would LOVE to see it, but I live in Florida…. :/

73. Aja says:

I want to see it! But I live in Washington… Lame. But that’s nice you didn’t feel nervous. I only feel nervous before preforming or reading something aloud the few minutes right before it and after that I’m fine.

74. Shelley says:

JUST watched ya on TV!!!! Thats was awesome!!

75. Ann M says:

Just saw your feature and it was fabulous! You did great and they were truly impressed with the cake, very inspirational!

76. Melissa says:

Your segment was great. I look forward to trying out your recipes and doing the taste test on my husband and son.

77. Just watched the great story about you (I had paused our dvr and so was a little behind tonight). You were FABULOUS! Adorable, Katie. My daughter and I are thrilled to know about your blog and YUMMY desserts. We’re now inspired by your recipes. Wish we could eat your cookies, brownies etc. and POOF–be as tiny as you! Congrats, Woo Hoo and Yippee!

1. Aww thank you! Thank you so much :).

78. Ann-Claire says:

I just watched it online! It was great… I only wish it was longer and showed you more!! Congrats on the feature!!

79. Ann-Claire says:

80. alicia says:

Just saw you on NBC and found your blog. Great segment and excited to try your recipes

81. jenn a. says:

I watched it, def gotta try this recipe!

82. Ariel says:

I watched the video online and I must say that I was so excited to see you on the news. This might sound weird but after reading your wonderful blog for awhile now it’s so nice to actually see you and hear your voice. I love your blog and recipes so much and you’ve actually inspired me in so many ways.

1. Haha no it doesn’t sound weird! I like putting a face/voice to a name, too! Thank you so much for such a sweet comment!

83. Lauren says:

Just watched it!! So cool, and great that everyone loved your cookie pie!!
    Way to go Katie, you truly have made it so far, you should feel so accomplished and proud of yourself :)

84. Just saw it online!!! Loved it 😀 😀 😀 Great to hear your voice!

85. Megan says:

Saw you on the news! Absolutely wonderful!!!

86. Kate says:

Here is a link to the video on ABC’s site. Congratulations for being on tv! :)

87. Kim says:

Having recently worked with an actual newsperson on a short film showcasing the stories of 5 people with a medical condition in common, I was worried I wouldn’t look good on film either. In his words, his job is to make people look good, and you know what? He did. Those people are professionals and they know what they’re doing. So don’t worry! I’m sure if they can make me look good then you have nothing at all to worry about!

88. Emily says:

Oh I’m so joyful for you! You totally deserve the recognition you are getting. I love your recipes. I’ve done the coconut butter with the fudge, pumpkin pie brownies, and cool whip and now I’m going to add that cookie pie to my next baking adventure.

89. Pat says:

Saw you on Channel 8 news this evening and just had to check out your blog. By-the-way, you were adorable on the newscast and would be great with a cooking show! I’m marking your site as a Favorite and will be back. I am not Vegan, but may have to convert! Keep up the good work. I see a cookbook in your future too. Also, if it is okay with you, I’d like to link your recipe for the CC Cookie Cake on my Pinterest board. You got such rave reviews from everyone, including 2 chefs, who took the taste test. Wow! Even the news guys were excited. You did very well!!!

1. Oh yes I’d be honored if you pinned the cake.
      Thank you so much for such kind words, Pat! :)

90. Lindsey says:

Congratulations, Katie!! Glad to see the good word about your blog spread via TV!

91. congrats Katie!! how fun and you look amazing!!!

wish we lived in the area to see you on TV :)

92. Marjorie says:

We moved from Fort Worth to Atlanta a few months ago….booo! I would have loved to catch you on TV! We miss the DFW area so much! I also just wanted to say how much I adore your blog. I wish I had stumbled upon it years ago when my first daughter was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. I love to bake and it would have made it so much easier to use your fabulous recipes. Both my girls’ favorite are your Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars. I mix it up with some raw cacao nibs for an extra nutritional kick.

1. Thank you so much, Marjorie!

I hope you’re loving Atlanta! :)

93. Sarah says:

I live in the DFW area and got to see your TV debut. You are going places!!! Congratulations!

94. Michelle says:

Just watched the TV segment from my DVR. You were fantastic!!! And I’m so glad that people loved the cookie! :)

95. Congrats on the debut Katie! I’m sure it will all turn out just great! Love your apron…and the recipe you chose to make. Wish I could have seen it for myself….but I’m in Ohio. Not sure what I’d make if I was on tv…but it would have to be something simple for sure. Love your recipes Gal!

96. Amry says:

How exciting Katie! You look great in your photo. I wish I could watch your segment!

97. BroccoliHut says:

Major congrats!!
    If I were ever on TV I think I would make a dish I could make with my eyes closed cuz I KNOW I would be nervous. Maybe scrambled ‘fu?

98. Jen E says:

Great segment and I really hope it helps the vegan movement even if gets more people eating healthier desserts, it still helps a little. You did a great job!

99. Oh my goodness! Congrats on being on TV that is super awesome! I didn’t know until now that you are in Texas, I am too. I would have to stay that if I had a chance to be on tv to make a dish it would be my pesto pasta with cooked tomatos.

100. I’m so excited for you, Katie!! you totally deserve every bit of success coming your way! 😀

101. Raquel says:

Woo!! I just watched the video online. You look so lovely, and I’m not at all surprised that everyone loved your dessert! I need to make that cake myself! 😀

Congrats, Katie! I just know this will lead to bigger and better things!

102. Anne says:

I searched and found your segment on-line. You really WOW’ed that reporter and a lot of people on the street and in the studio who tasted your creation. You did a great job – looked amazing. But where is your Texas accent? It was such a treat to see you “in person”.

1. LOL :)

I’m not originally from here. I do say “y’all” sometimes, though.

103. Anne P says:

You look adorable! I hope you share a link to the story once it’s online – I want to see the video :)

104. Kelly says:

Congratulations Katie!! How exciting!!! And you look absolutely gorgeous, can’t wait to see it!!! xoxo

105. Dawn says:

I found the link: http://www.wfaa.com/home/Healthy-Desserts-Yes-its-possible-138873534.html
    So there is a video for everyone to see!

106. Sherlock says:

Watched the segment last night and smiled the entire time! It was nice to hear your voice for the first time. You spoke well, didn’t mumble any words and I enjoyed how enthusiastic and sweet you were. You were just lovely!
    I’m glad they chose you to show the nation just how delicious and nutritious vegan food can be. There are a ton of vegan bloggers out there but there is only one CCK. You, my dear, are the only one I can rely on to create a simple kick ass treat! Well, deserved television debut!

107. Caroline says:

Yay for the TV debut! Congrats on it, I’ve really enjoyed all your recipes.

Just one thing, the last photo looks way too photoshopped to me, the depth of field looks all wrong for the cookie cake in comparison to the plate it’s sitting on.

1. I’ve never really been trained in photoshop (aside from a terrific digital graphics course I took back in high school). I’m sure, if you look closely, you can see my lack of editing skill in many of my food photos. That’s why I try as hard as I can to get good photos straight out of the camera, as opposed to relying on heavy editing.

1. Sherlock says:

I am a photographer and your photo looks just fine. I can see exactly how you managed to capture the image. There is nothing out of sorts regarding DOF as “Caroline” stated.

108. I don’t live in your area. Hopefully, it will get posted online :-)

109. Renee says:

Congratulations on your TV debut. You are a natural! I am a new reader of your blog. I tried my first recipe this past weekend, the cookie dough dip. It’s so good, it’s unbelievable! I can’t wait to try your other recipes!

110. Eric Jaffa says:

If you want a cooking TV show, a step in that direction would be getting a YouTube channel.

Getting a YouTube channel is free.

111. Julie says:

So, how did it go? Those of us who aren’t local would love to know if there is a link where your segment can be watched online!! :)

112. Julie says:

Oh, yay! I found it! :) You are just soooo cute! You kill me. And your personality is exactly as I would have pictured you from your writing. I so wish you were my neighbor, but alas, Phoenix is pretty far from Dallas. :)

1. Awww Julie, thank you so much! Haha I’d love to be in Phoenix right now. I hear it’s warm there!! I’m cold here (35 degrees). :)

113. Just watched the clip in your other post, it was fantastic! You did great. Congrats!! :) I need that cookie dough-esque cake in my life, hehe.

114. Steph says:

So proud of you Katie! And your voice sounds sooo different from the way I imagined it. I thought that you’d have a Southern accent and that it would be really high but it’s actually much prettier! No offense to people with high voices, lol!

1. Haha I am not originally from Tx… but somehow “y’all” has managed to sneak into my vocabulary ;).

115. Rana Short says:

Wow, Katie! Great coverage for you and the vegan world. Love it and nice to meet you!

116. Sünne says:

Ah, look, I found their article about you: http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Healthy-Desserts-Yes-its-possible-138873534.html

Is there any chance to watch the video online? I’m curious about it!

1. Sünne says:

How embarrassing – I thought there were pictures only and didn’t see the video. Ahem …

1. Anonymous says:

She posted the link yesterday, lol.

117. lucy says:

well done on your tv debut katie! you are doing so well, i have been following your website on and off for about two months ago and i think your fantastic! with love from london!

118. That’s so exciting! Love the apron :)

119. Kim says:

I hope you don’t mind. I was reading the comments after the news article and someone suggested that you were a bad role model for girls and women because you look too thin and sick (!). I attempted to come to your defense without sounding like I was speaking for you but I don’t know if I did a good job :-/ I think you look great because you’re happy with yourself and that’s all that should matter to anybody!

1. Anonymous says:

Not that it matters because we all know Katie’s healthy, but I don’t think she looks too thin at all! Her outfit wasn’t revealing in the least.

120. HealthFoodJunky says:

Congratulations! I wish I lived in Texas so that way I could see the feature. :( Is there anyway to post it on YouTube? Maybe? Btw, great dish to exhibit your creativity!

1. Look at my next post :). I have a link there.

121. Ashley says:

Ah katie! Just saw your your television debut on a link that a reader posted and was so happy to see how well it turned out. You did great and seemed so natural in front of the camera! I’m kind of new to your blog but since I’ve gone vegetarian and (eventually) vegan for lent (was a pescaterian in high school) your blog means even more to me now! Congrats and hopefully you will have your own food network tv show soon!

1. Thank you so much, Ashley!

122. Mark says:

Here’s the link to your appearance. Great job and great results from taste testers.