German Chocolate Fudge Bites

Gluten free, paleo, vegan, egg free, peanut free, no bake and SO easy to make!

german chocolate truffles

No one will ever guess that such fudgey chocolate balls could possibly be 100% free of sugar, butter, and flour. Shhhh… no need to tell anyone they’re healthy. Winking smile

Healthy? Who, me?

chocolate energy ball

Since creating recipes is my full-time job, I try at least two new recipe experiments every day, and this was one of the successes of last week.

Today, I’m working on chocolate chunk cookies, molten chocolate pudding cake, and chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream. So basically, it’s going to be one big chocolate fest. But that’s no different from any other day!

(I’m also working on some non-chocolate recipes, and of course I have to cook actual meals as well… I’ve gotten really good at multitasking in the kitchen; it’s not hard to make a bunch of things at once if you’ve already made a mess.)

german chocolate truffles

pin-it

German Chocolate Fudge Bites

(Makes 10-14 balls)

Inspired by my Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

• 3/4 cup pitted dates (I like Sunmaid, because they’re softer) (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup raw pecans
  • optional: feel free to add some chocolate chips

Blend all ingredients together very well. (I recommend using a food processor for best results, as they’ll be very sticky in a blender.) Squish the dough together – I transferred the dough to a plastic bag then smushed it together in the bag. It’s much less messy this way! Roll into balls, cookie-cuttered shapes, or bars… or you can even use it for a pie crust!

View Fudge Bites Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

Avocado Chocolate Mousse – recipe from @choccoveredkt… It is rich and silky smooth… and you really can’t taste the avocado! Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/10/15/avocado-chocolate-mousse-vegan-healthy/

Avocado Chocolate Mousse

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Erin says:

Really enjoy these. And I have a packaged of pitted dates that I’ve been wondering what to make with.

2. Aja says:

Yum. I need to steal my friend’s food processor so I can make these!

3. lisa says:

oh – these look great! these will be made very very soon!
    but one thing i still don´t really get (like Marty already asked):
    when are chocolaty things considered “german chocolate xy…” ?? 😀
    i wonder… not just because i´m german…;)

today i´ll be making spinach tortellini with spinach (duh) and lupin-filet. :)

but otherwise i´m keen on trying your chickpea-recipes with white beans and/or kidney beans (since i try the blood type thing from now on and they are “bad” for my b-type).

i really, really love your blog by the way!!
    oh – and i wish i had your job…:)

1. Aww thank you! German-chocolate is chocolate and pecans and coconut… but apparently it’s not really German! It was named after an American whose last name was “German” :).

1. lisa says:

ah ok – that explains quite a few things – thank you!
        well but it really isn´t that german, right. 😉 sadly it´s quite hard to find pecans over here (not overly expensive ones)…oh well. luxurious but tasty. :)

1. Michaela says:

thanks for answering!! Definitely NOT German, but delicious nevertheless :)

4. Maddie says:

Those look amazing! I may add some protein powder because,other then that,they look really similar to Pure bars. I absolutely love them but they’re crazy expensive. 😛 Thanks!
    P.S. I can’t wait to see your tv debut! :)

5. Mmmm I love german chocolate stuff so these look amazing!! If you molded these into bar shape they would be like a Larabar, right? Can’t wait to try them!

6. Those look amazing! All they need is to be dipped in melted chocolate!

7. These fudge bites look outta this world good! Love love love that they’re totally naturally sweetened.

8. Amber K says:

I don’t experiment nearly as much as I’d like to. It’s just that I don’t want to waste ingredients if I make something truly awful. It’s always why I tend to stick to the same veggies and fruits I already know I like and how to cook. I hate wasting money!

9. Mmmm that really is all my favorite things in one bite!!!

10. yummy!! I looove German chocolate. these look to die for <3 and I'm really excited for the molten chocolate pudding cake!

11. I want to make these as soon as I get home! Yum!

12. Sofia says:

You are soooo gifted! Thanks for sharing your cooking/creative gifts with us. I was wondering if you could help me figure out HOW TO MAKE my own Corazonas chocolate chip oatmeal squares. They area soft, guey and sweet enough to make you feel good when you eat them : )
    If you already have some recipe like it, could you please, please, please point me in its direction?
    Thanks
    Sofia

1. I’ve never heard of those squares… I’ll have to google it!

13. Julia M says:

I have just made them, they taste VERY GOOD. However, the dough did not come together and was too dry for me, I added a few tablespoons of coconut milk and it came together beautifully. Really delicious!

1. I’m glad you were able to fix them! That’s one of the reasons I suggest using Sunmaid dates if possible… theyre much softer :).

14. I definetly want to make this today 😀

15. Raney says:

I just made these, using 3T of sweetened coconut and about 1/3 cup of pecans. They’re super addictive!

16. Andrea says:

I work at Whole Foods, and we have a vegan german chocolate cookie that is my favorite cookie of all time. I bet this is just as great… but healthier!

17. Charissa says:

German chocolate balls. Yes, yes, yes!

18. Michaela says:

you know what I am always wondering: why it is called “German” chocolate. To me as a German, this makes no sense at all.
    But still, I love all your fudge balls and theses are no exceptions :)

1. I just found out yesterday that it’s actually named after a guy whose last name is “German.” So it’s not really German at all!

19. Anna Lynn says:

These look heavenly! Exactly what I’m craving….gooey, chocolately, coconutty…mmm!

I have been in this insane “I want to make and eat everything” lately, so I’m sure some kind of concoction will be coming out of my kitchen this evening! I have Valentine’s Day sprinkles that I’ve been DYING to use. My birthday is on Valentine’s Day so it’s the perfect excuse to make something pink or chocolately (or BOTH!) every day in February, right? I’m thinking cookies tonight…mostly because I want the dough…oops :-)

20. Lauren says:

Do you think prunes would work instead of dates?