Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Why I won’t give up chocolate for Lent

This is what temptation looks like:

Rich chocolate temptation: Chocolate Cream Pie.

When I was younger, I gave up something every year for Lent. One year it was shopping, another year was instant messaging (anyone remember aol?). At fifteen, I gave up dairy… and then never went back!

And one crazy year, I gave up chocolate. That was hard! But, to be honest, I’m not sure how giving up chocolate helped me get closer to God. And I definitely don’t think it made me a better person… Imagine the poor people who had to live with my grumpy, chocolate-less self!

So this year, I’m not giving up anything for Lent. Instead, I’m vowing to do more for others.

I’m starting this project again: My Homemade Afri-Cards.

But the little things are also important—remembering to give someone a sincere compliment every day, making time for a friend going through a rough patch, donating clothes away to people in need… even small random acts of kindness can have a big impact on the world. And these are things I should be doing every day, not only during Lent.

Just don’t make me give up chocolate again Winking smile.

For those of you who are giving up chocolate or desserts for Lent, I’m thinking now would be a great time for me to publish some of the many non-dessert recipes that have been piling up. So you might be seeing a few more savory dishes than usual this next month. Of course, if a recipe for S’mores Whoopie Pies happens to sneak through the cracks… don’t blame me!

And speaking of savory dishes, when I was searching for something the other day I actually found two older recipes that somehow escaped the recipe page:

spaghetti squash

…………………………Ohmigosh Spaghetti Squash

……………………..Cashew Ginger Kale

Question of the Day:

Are you giving up something for Lent this year?

My roommate just informed me that she’s giving up meat! She’s not Catholic, but she decided Lent was a good time to try it out. We usually fend for ourselves as far as meals are concerned, but this month (for at least a couple days each week), we’re going to take turns trying out new dinner recipes. I’m excited about it… mainly because it means someone else is going to cook for me!

1. I’m giving up chocolate! I’ve done it for a few years and it works for me – when I pass on the indulgences I remember WHY and that’s the point, right? But obviously it wouldn’t work for everyone! Excited to see some non-chocolate recipes…and to make TONS on Easter!

2. I love your giving something attitude! That is a very worthy action for lent! Good for you! And I honestly can’t believe you gave up chocolate one year! That is just crazy! I still need to try that pie! Looks delicious.

3. Samantha says:

Good morning!

Thank you for your post. This year I gave up chocolate, peanut butter, and eating out alone (I love going to a fun place with a good book).

We are only a few days in, but my initial thoughts. Peanut butter was a silly one. I won’t do this one again and I will be OK if I fail it. It is too much a part of my fat and calories. I thought it would be interesting to give up because it is something I eat SO much of. But in this case I agree with you – this doesn’t do much in the faith department.

Chocolate and eating out alone in theory generates more of the “extra money” for donation. We will see. I try really hard not to make Lent unpleasant but about faith and learning, and the sacrifices tend to do the least in that department…and yet most of us were taught it. This may be the last year I give something up. Each year I have shifted more and more to what do I give and how I feel during the Lent/Easter season.

My favorite stuff for Lent: Working on changing thoughts/the mental. I love your compliments one! One of mine this year is more active eye contact and smiling at a stranger. 🙂

And I love every Friday to find a new charity/organization/etc. to give too. This is the first year I will blog about them too to help draw attention.

I love your cards! Cute stuff.

Thank you for your thoughts. I will be interested in responses especially since more and more the sacrifice part is just not the part that does much for my spirituality or faith.

Have a wonderful day!

4. I’m not giving anything up but instead I’m devoting time to writing in my prayer journal daily. I need to refocus myself on Him and I think that writing down my prayers is the perfect way!

5. I like that you’re going to focus on doing more for others, that’s awesome!!

6. Maya says:

Yeah, I also prefer to do something more instead of giving up something- this year it’s writing more letters to older relatives that aren’t on the internet so they are more out of touch. But a friend told me last year the Lenten sacrifice thing is actually 3fold: prayer, almsgiving, and fasting. So I’m going to try to do some of each this year!

7. Wow girl how did you live without chocolate? I’d never be able to do that. I’m eastern orthodox so for our lent we’re supposed to go completely vegan and not consume any oil (there’re a few days when we’re allowed fish and oil) so I’ll be visiting your site a lot 😛 I’ve tried this last year and found myself very energetic but then again I was consuming so much nuts just because it was the only source of fat I really had.

8. Molly Alice says:

I hadn’t intended to give up anything for Lent, but yesterday I had a severe, possibly allergic reaction to some espresso I drank. I’m not a coffee drinker (and I’d only ever had decaf before) so I was definitely not expecting it! It was such a scary experience that I’m eliminating all caffeine for the next several weeks. Avoiding soda and coffee won’t be hard, but chocolate? Torture!

9. jenni ingram says:

i have to tell you i think you’ve influence my zip code. the canned coconut milk AND the coconut oil was totally gone from the healthy section of Giant. hoping they restock soon! i gave up chocolate for a week once :}

10. Audrey says:

Great idea to do more for others. I think sometimes those goals are harder (at least for me) then the concrete things, because the definition is more vague. It’s definitely a great way to spend Lent!

11. I gave up energy drinks! It’s really really hard today…I’m so so tired

12. I didn’t give anything up for Lent this year 🙂

13. Kristal says:

I have decided to not give up anything for Lent but to focus on patience, time with the LORD, and writing encouraging notes to the mothers in my life. Patience has a lot to do with a certain child I’m parenting right now… I think I’ll memorize some verses with said child.

I’ve never given up chocolate, but one year my husband and I gave up ice cream {something we have every night, although I’ve since stopped because I’m too cold}. That was hard. Last year the thing I gave up I totally let go of and didn’t start up again. It was LOVELY and I’m so glad I listened to God’s prompting.

14. Tori says:

In past years I’ve given up Facebook and text messaging, and this year I gave up television (which includes watching TV shows online). I’m also only watching movies if I’m with other people. Instead of giving up a food or drink, I try to give up something that takes up my time, so that I can then devote that time to something better – prayer, reading scripture, spending time really connecting with other people, mass and adoration. I find that when I cut out soda, desserts, etc., I tend to get obsessed with what I can’t have, and it doesn’t help me draw closer to God. Plus, a lot of times I want to use those things to help me lose weight, and that’s definitely NOT the purpose of Lent.

15. jen b says:

I hear ya about not giving stuff up for Lent! The year I gave up Diet Coke (which, ironically is not even a part of my life anymore!), Easter became more about that first sip than it did the resurrection of my Savior. SAD!!! Since then, I’ve decided to revel in my forgiven status and God’s grace and give up nothing! It’s not right for everybody, but it’s right for me!

Thanks for your recipes! =)

16. I personally try not to use lent as a diet–eliminating a food or food group (like most of us girls did in high school). By doing that I think it is easy to miss the point! I too like the idea of adding something, so this year I am committing to a daily quiet time.

17. Ashley says:

Tell your roommate lent was the kick start I needed to become a vegetarian 8 years ago! Although I’m more of a ‘flexitarian’ now (I had low protein levels in my blood and as a way to fix it my doctor told me I should started incorporating fish and poultry back into my diet) it led to 3 years of being completely vegetarian.

I really like your approach on Lent, though – I decided to do a similar thing this year. My ‘lent resolutions’ so to speak are to be less lazy, both physically and mentally/emotionally. I am planning on being more patient, with both others and myself, instead of always looking for instant gratification. I also spending more time with people in real time versus internet time, and not just spending my evenings vegging out in front of the TV (which has become a really bad habit in the last two months!). It is a nice little reminder of Lent every time I find myself not wanting to take my puppy for the longer route on our walks, or find myself mindlessly staring at the television instead of going to the gym or spending time with friends. To me, I may have less time to ‘relax’, but this is something that may improve my life and make me a better person compared to not consuming any sweets, and by having the working out option in there, may also help my waist line =)

18. I don’t think I could give up chocolate, to hard! It’s my guilty pleasure. As far as giving something up for lent, I’m not sure, I’m not Catholic, butlike your friend this would be a good time to do it.

19. I’m not giving anything up for lent, but I’ve been trying to think of something that I can do more of (like your doing!). I like that idea better than depriving myself of something!