Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate Silk Smoothie

This is one thick smoothie…

strawberry protein shake

It’s so thick you might want to skip the glass… and use a spoon!

Chocolate soup?

strawberry protein shake

Meeting my vegetable requirements for the day is never a problem. (Sometimes I have to make sure I don’t get too many!) Therefore I don’t normally seek out fortified products like powdered vegetable drink mixes. But when the Barleans company asked if I wanted to test their new Chocolate Silk green powder… well, they did say the magic word:

And I do love the company’s Chocolate-Raspberry Sauce.

So I agreed to give the chocolate powder a try. This powder really is good… and it passed the roommate test as well. Do I think it’s wise to substitute powder for actual greens in one’s diet? Probably not; but with antioxidants, probiotics, fiber, and protein, this mix would be great for someone who routinely falls short on the recommended servings of leafy greens. And it’s also great for someone like me—who couldn’t care less about the nutritional benefits and just enjoys the chocolatey taste.

strawberry protein shake

As stated earlier, this recipe makes one really thick smoothie!

Chocolate Silk Smoothie

(Serves 1)

• 1 cup frozen strawberries (or other berries) (150 grams)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon (6-8 grams) Chocolate Silk greens (Or you can use regular cocoa powder, and add sweetener to taste.)
  • 3-6 tablespoons milk of choice (or even more, depending on whether you want a drink or chocolate soup!)
  • 1/16 tsp salt

Combine everything in a vita-mix or high-powered blender, and blend until smooth. Note: The recipe will be darker (and thicker!) than in the photos. The photos are of the powder mixed with almond milk, because I only made the strawberry recipe yesterday and didn’t have time for a photoshoot. But I still wanted to post the recipe along with the review of the Chocolate Silk greens.

Chocolate soup > chicken noodle!

(Is there a math symbol for “way greater than”?)

I think it would be really good in my Hot Chocolate Cookies!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Monique says:

hmm, favorite green veggie. . . that’s a tough one. If I had to pick just one it would be peas of any sort. Love my green foods <3

2. Favorite green veggie is definitely spinach – it’s so versatile! The smoothie sounds awesome – I’m a huge fan of thick smoothies. If I won the powder, I’d whip up this smoothie ASAP!

3. Dorothy says:

My favorite greens are broccoli and spinach. I would probably use this powder with my daily smoothies.

4. Krissi says:

I love peas because I was never allowed to have them growing up (mom was allergic) so now they are like my forbidden veggie 🙂

5. Jessie says:

Broccoli, or raw spinach! Or asparagus, edamame, kale… Too many faves!
    I’d definitely add the powder to a green smoothie. Veggie overkill 🙂

6. Aggie says:

Oh! I just had an idea. Maybe I would try putting it in our homemade soy ice cream.

7. Lucy says:

I love me some green bell peppers and cellery and collard greens and cucumbers also spinach! Im a kid in the candy store at the veggie aisle 🙂

8. Michele says:

I love kale! It’s delicious, versatile, and adds bulk to pretty much any meal so my stomach doesn’t rumble in an hour 🙂

9. Anonymous says:

Kale, AVOCADOS, spinnach, and beet tops. I LOOOOVE beet tops!

10. Kate says:

I ADORE Kale, I love making kale chips and sauteed kale with lemon and garlic. My boyfriend never used to eat veggies but he loved the way I made Kale chips so much they became his “gateway” veggie and now he eats them all the time! I love making chocolate smoothies, I cannot emphasize this enough, they probably make my day if I make a really good one. Its funny because I basically made this exact recipe yesterday and would love to try it with the green’s chocolate silk!

11. Jordan D. says:

I love all green veggies! But asparagus is probably my favorite.

12. Ashley says:

I would use it to mix with peanut butter of course! 🙂

13. Kristy says:

Im like you Katie! I could eat vegetables all day long and still want more. I would have to say that Asparagus are my favorite if I had to chose. Especially roasted in coconut oil!
    The chocolate greens is interesting! I’d be curious how it would taste in a brownie. Adding veggies in a brownie mean less guilt and another bite right???

1. No need to add water, but you do have to be careful when melting chocolate! Google for a tutorial on microwaving chocolate chips, as it needs to be done carefully!

14. Susie says:

And I’m a smoothie junkie, so I’m sure the powder would end up in the blender 😀

15. Riley says:

16. Alicia Drew says:

On days I work a long day, I struggle to get all my veggies in, so coming home & enjoying one of these chocolate milkshakes would hit the spot, & help me reach my daily healthy guidelines.

17. rachel says:

zucchini .smoothie for certain

18. Mb says:

in cookies!

19. Alanna says:

My favorite green vegetable is green beans! My parents used to call me “the green bean girl”, haha (very original, I know!). I love broccoli, too, but it doesn’t love me back. :s

20. Melinda says:

Tatsoi is one of my current green favorites. Yummy!