My Crazy Easter

It started with chocolate. And bunny ears and cupcake liners and flip-flops. (I have to return the flip-flops. Darn you, wide feet!)

It also started with rain.

Lots and lots of rain, but thankfully Easter itself wasn’t dreary at all. Some highlights:

sshortcake

I made these for breakfast: Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes

My sister flew in from Boston, and I’d driven to my parents’ house the night before. So we all had strawberry shortcake pancakes for breakfast. (I would’ve been more festive and made carrot cake pancakes, but not everyone in the family likes carrot cake.)

easter card

Quite possibly the funniest card I’ve ever seen.

My mom says she doesn’t care that we’re not kids anymore; she’s going to give us Easter baskets even when we’re grandparents. (She still makes a basket for my dad as well!)

For my Easter dinner, I made a meal out of the many vegan side dishes, which included sesame asparagus, broccoli with lemon and olive oil, magic mushrooms, strawberry spinach salad, etc.

vegan cornbread

And I also made a pan of my famous cornbread.

Question of the Day:

What was one fun thing about your Easter?

Or, if you don’t celebrate Easter, what was one fun thing about your weekend?

In case anyone’s interested, here are last year’s photos.

1. That card is super cute,but the very first photo definitely steals its show! 😉
    You’re so pretty,Katie,and I love your dress! Glad you’ve had a nice Easter despite the dreary weather!

1. Aww Kate, thank you so much!!

1. Liz says:

Agreed. You are beautiful!
        And you look beautiful in last year’s pictures as well :).

2. cute dress, and your hair looks lighter- highlights?! My easter was great, but it was spent with friends instead of family. Holidays tend to be bittersweet for me since my family is so spread out. Glad you had a great day with your family.

1. I did get highlights :).
      I hear you about the bittersweet thing… one of the reasons I love holidays is because they’re becoming the ONLY times my family is all together!

3. Barb says:

beautiful dress! my mom surprised me with an easter basket as well – she went and found me the best dark chocolate, even though I wasn’t even going home for easter and haven’t lived at home for years!

1. Haha I think moms like to keep giving us Easter baskets because it makes them feel like we’re still young ;).

4. Samantha says:

Cute dress by the way!

I did make your carrot cake cupcakes on Easter for me (with the peanut butter frosting). Never would have thought to buy canned carrot before that and it is a great idea! I will do that again!

For the Seattle area we had crazy NICE weather, so I feel for you in the dark and the rain. Very un-Easter-like.It sounds like you have a fun family. :)

5. OMG, thank you for sharing the card. Too freaking adorable! :)

6. Shannon says:

Love the dress! You look so cute :)
    Tried to see the recipe for your mushrooms though and got an error. Even tried looking them up on your recipe page same thing. :( Love mushrooms and would love to see the recipe.
    Thanks for all the great recipes!

1. Yikes, thanks for letting me know!
      I could see the page, but apparently it was somehow listed as a draft… so no one else could!
      I *think* it works now: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/04/16/magic-mushrooms/

7. strawberry shortcake pancakes sound like the PERFECT easter breakfast!! love that card – too cute!

8. Jennifer D. says:

My favorite part of Easter is watching my kids and my niece and nephew hunt eggs. This year though my daughter got sick so she just laid on grandma’s couch. I made braised kale for my traditionally southern food family (think corn pudding, green beans with bacon, ham, deviled eggs) and several of them liked it. Nice to broaden their horizons a bit :)

1. Liz says:

Haha I love it! I wish my mom would make me kale for Easter! We’re a southern family too, and I had to make my own vegan feast this year. Oh well, it was fun!

9. I didn’t get to celebrate Easter since I wasn’t home and my brother forgot… But I did get to go on a walk with my brother and his puppy since it was gorgeous out that day!

10. Hahaha, I love that card!! And my mom still makes Easter baskets for my sister and me, too. I love it :) One fun thing about my weekend was really having a collaborative effort in the kitchen this year! Usually my mom does the cooking, but this year my sister helped out a lot and I contributed two dishes.

11. Carly says:

We usually don’t celebrate Easter… but we wound up spending some time with my sister this year. We smashed cascarones on each others heads! SUPER fun if you’ve never done it. I blogged about it here: http://johnnybug.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/cascarones-chocolate/

12. I love your Easter basket!

I catered a wedding shower the day before, so I was pretty tired. My sister made mom and I mimosas and we chilled by the pool. :)

13. katie says:

we had a butter lamb! i hadn’t gotten one before, and i’ve really wanted one. it’s pretty much just a chunk of butter shaped like a lamb, but they’re really cute.

14. OMG! The card is hilarious! I am such a pancake fan and I have to try your cupcakes, they look wonderful!!

1. I have cupcakes on the brain for some reason, I meant pancakes. Geez! Happy Tuesday!

1. Liz says:

Cupcakes on the brain… sounds like me, all the time!

15. Aubrey says:

Would you post some recipes of what you made for dishes:)?

1. Sorry about that! I had a link up to the mushroom dish, but apparently it was broken. It should be fixed now!
      As for the other dishes, they were all made by my mom. I don’t think she uses recipes… she just makes things up in terms of proportions. The broccoli is one of my favorite holiday dishes. It’s steamed (but not mushy), then chilled. Then she drizzles olive oil and squeezes lemon on top and serves it cold. So so good!

16. The pancakes look delicious! My mom use to do egg hunts with us but she says we are too old lol. But she still always gives a little something :)

17. Katy says:

Such a cute card! What is wrong with that picture, though, isn’t the cannibalism: it’s the fact that he’s starting with the tail instead of the ears! … When I gave my puppy a bunny-shaped biscuit on Easter, I broke the ear off first so that he would do it “properly.” My sister think I’m nuts.

18. hehe my mom makes us easter baskets as well. She mailed mine up to college! Anyways-Easter was different for me this year because I went to a wedding. It was certainly strange not having a typical Easter or being with my family but lots of fun too!

19. Suzie says:

Sounds like you Easter tasted wonderful and glad you had a nice time sharing with family, despite the bad weather. Those pancakes looks so delicious, I am big fan of strawberry shortcake– but I did make a carrot cake for Easter :)

20. Oh man, someone in your family doesn’t like carrot cake?!? That’s what my wedding cake was. :) I’m sure the strawberry pancakes were just as delicious.
    That card is adorable! :)
    I don’t celebrate Easter, but had a great weekend with lots of hiking and eating!
    And, I have wide feet too. I feel your pain.