Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Gooey Chocolate-Chip Bars (for a good cause!)

Note to self:

Don’t ask for suggestions. You’ll get way too many good ones, and thus it will be even harder to make a decision. Finally, at about 6 o’clock Friday night, I had to choose something…

healthy blondies

After a lot of wavering, I finally made my Chocolate Chip Blondies with beans.

When I bring those bars to parties, even “non-healthy” eaters gobble them up! Plus, they’re gluten-free, portable, and filled with chocolate. (Obviously that last point is the most important.) I packaged the blondie bars individually, and every last one was already gone when I came back an hour after dropping them off.

I hope that means people liked them.

gluten free blondies

We had to provide full ingredient lists with our baked goods.

In retrospect, I think I might’ve been a little too excited about the fact that my bars were gluten-free. But as someone with a special diet of my own (veganism), I always love when there’s food I can eat at an event… So I wanted people on gf diets to not feel left out at this bake sale.

gluten free ingredients

And I just noticed I forgot to close the parenthesis after “McCormick.”  My inner grammar nerd is annoyed. 😕

bean blondies

Above, pre-packaged Chocolate-Chip Blondies.

(Edit: These bars look different from the originals because I saved some of the chocolate chips and added them on top instead of mixing. I also cut bars instead of squares, as I wanted to give people a bigger serving for their money!)

I have a lot more photos from the bake sale (including what I bought and whom I got to meet!). Unfortunately, I left my camera at a friend’s house and couldn’t pick it up until late last night. So I’ll post the other photos later in the week.

1. Stephanie says:

Love it! your inner grammar nerd…..

I think GF and organic are great for bake sales…:)

1. L. says:

But on the bright side, you used “whom” correctly in your post. Thanks for doing that; hardly anyone uses it correctly nowadays!

1. Georgia says:

OK, now I’m trying to mentally diagram that phrase and figure out why “whom” is correct….I considered myself a grammar nerd too but I never noticed that one!

(hmm, it follows a verb “meet”, so it’s supposed to be objective case…. whom instead of who… Got it! 🙂 )

I’m starting to realize how long it’s been since I was in school when it takes me a while to go through all this stuff somewhere in the attic of my brain!

1. Now I’m really going to show how much of a nerd I am… 🙂
          A fun trick: Use “whom” if you can answer the sentence with “him” because both words end in M. Use “who” if “he” would answer the sentence. In this case, I got to meet him.
          (In reality, I met a her, but that doesn’t work with my trick!)

1. Anonymous says:

Ahahha, i’m a 15 year old, in top set English, and I have no idea how to use “whom”. Actually, people in my school, at my age, still use “it’s” instead of “its” which really irks me. So thank you for teaching me somethingg (:

2. Yum!! Those look so delicious! What a great excuse for making some yummy baked goods! 😉

3. These sound fun! Great way to use up garbanzo beans too!

4. Chantal says:

I tried making cookies with beans before and they turned out terrible. I’ve been scared to try it again ever since. I think I’m going to start with your cookie pie though. I think that one might be safe (judging by the comments) and then get more adventurous from there if I like it.

The only problem is that my husband is allergic to beans. Wait, that actually may not be a problem if they’re as good as they look. 😉 More for me!

1. L. says:

You should definitely try the cookie pie! I’m obsessed!
      Even my “meat and potatoes” boyfriend loves it, and he normally HATES all beans and veggies except for corn!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Another vote for starting with the cookie pie. I made black bean brownies before (not a CCK recipe) and they were awful! So I was hesitant to try again, but CCK’s cookie pie far exceeded my expectations!

1. Bekki says:

Definitely give the cookie pie a go! Even my dad – who is “allergic” to all vegetables, fruits, legumes…anything healthy, really, enjoyed it!

5. Erin says:

They look awesome. Cookie dough for tomorrow!! 🙂

6. Christina says:

I absolute love your blog… being a vegan, it is so hard to find recipes that work well in the dessert department. I am pregnant and have major sweet cravings all the time right now, luckily I found your blog and can get my sweet treat fix in, and love that it’s not unhealthy! Are you vegan or vegetarian? I noticed that many of your recipes were vegan… which makes me smile! 🙂 I can’t wait to make these brownies tonight! YAY!

1. Christina says:

oh my I’m not sure how I missed it before, but read the part where you said you have a special diet of your own (veganism)… haha well that answers my question! That is truly awesome, and I absolutely love that. I’m so excited to try more of your recipes!

1. Aw thanks, Christina :).
        Yes, all of my recipes are vegan!

7. Alanna says:

Those look awesome! And lol on the grammar nerd… I saw it when reading the sign in your pic and wondered if you’d noticed later. 😉 The only bean dessert I’ve dared to try yet is the cinnamon roll pie, and it tasted good but I don’t think I could have fooled anyone into thinking it was a “normal” cookie since the inside sayed so gooey-looking. It actually reminded me a lot of a red bean rice ball I had once from Chinatown in San Francisco! Maybe someone who hadn’t tried that wouldn’t pick up on the mystery ingredient. 🙂 I’m still a bit wary of beans for their, um… musical properties. :/

1. L. says:

I do think that anyone who doesn’t know to look for it won’t taste the beans. When I serve the cookie pie or the pbj blondies or these blondies, I don’t tell anyone the secret ingredient until after they’re scaring them down!

8. Aja says:

They look delicious! I can’t wait until tomorrow! Cookie dough, um, YES!!

9. Sarahishealthy says:

Ooo a candy bar recipe??? I’m intrigued!
    Good call on the blondies. That’s one of my favorite recipes of yours. Oh wait, they ALL are ;).

10. Cindy s says:

I love your sign! If I were at any event and say this sign I would be doing the happy dance!

11. yay for beans, yay for chocolate …and yay for making me smile with your inner grammar nerdism (I would be exactly the same!!) 🙂

12. Lucia says:

Hi Katie, I have a couple of food processor questions:
    1. Do you have any tips about cleaning food processors/blenders? You use them frequently in your recipes so I hoped you might know some good ways of getting all the gooeyness off blades and out of corners.
    2. Do you have a recommendation for a good quality, all-purpose food processor that isn’t too costly? I convinced my mom to buy us our first food processor last summer, but it was such a cheap one that it’s already fallen apart.

1. I just soak mine immediately after using. And I have a Cuisinart, which is AWESOME! Highly recommended. I think mine is a 10-cup… it’s pretty old and still works well.

1. Lucia says:

Great, thanks!!!

13. Cathy says:

Those look awesome! And your sign is so pretty! (My handwriting is awful.) Please do something with cookie dough tomorrow! Even the sound of “cookie dough” makes my mouth water… It is like my favorite thing!

14. katia says:

uuugh those look BOOOMB. I love every recipe on here. Brownies/blondies were a good choice, those, and ~cinnamon rolls~ always go sooo fast!

15. Robyn says:

I think it’s great that you included all the ingredient info. I’m having a Cinco de Mayo party next weekend (olé!) and was considering doing that myself *in my own house*!

Honestly, I went to a restaurant in Raleigh last night and asked the server if she could guide me toward the GF choices. When she told me they had an entire GF menu, I thought I would SQUEAL with delight (and then she pointed out 2 things that were naturally GF but prepared in a communal fryer, and then I really knew she “got” it–big tip!). It’s a simple thing but it really makes all the difference.

That’s a long way of saying “Keep it up!”

Thanks Katie–I make one of your treats at least a couple times a week, and your sugar free cookie dough dip will definitely be in the menu next weekend–it’s sorta Mexican, right?! 😉

16. Jennifer says:

I haven’t made these in so long. I think I might need to rectify that really soon. 🙂

17. You are right even the non-healthy eaters love these! I brought them to a Valentine’s dinner this year are they were gone in a flash!

18. Steph says:

These look so good! Can’t wait to make them after finals 😀

Recipe suggestion: healthy Biscoff spread!

19. Wish I could have come and bought the whole box :]

Cookie dough sounds exciting!!

20. Jules says:

those look like HEAVEN !!!! I just thought of a recipe idea you could try to conjure up! how about a vegan cannoli ?
    oh and cookie dough sounds AMAZING!! I love all your recipes and you inspired me to go vegan when I’m in college! (my parents won’t let me now because I’m only 15 and they’re convinced that since I’m so active in sports that I’ll lose too much weight and I also just became a vegetarian)

1. I actually had vegan cannoli once! It was at a bakery in Philadelphia… but really it was a cannoli shell filled with what tasted like regular frosting. So not authentic 🙁